As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Good.

I'm up to Guards Guards on my chronological read through of the series.
    I think Pyramids is the first book that really engages you. The books before this I kind of read them because I wanted to. Pyramids I was eager to keep reading more even though I already have.
    And GG is even more so.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mort and Wyrd Sisters are absolutely up there with the best of Pratchett's books, and they're the fourth and sixth. And I like the other early ones anyway. The ones I think that don't work are from much, much later.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mort and Wyrd Sisters are absolutely up there with the best of Pratchett's books, and they're the fourth and sixth. And I like the other early ones anyway. The ones I think that don't work are from much, much later.

I like Equal Rites. I don't think he ever wrote a Granny Weatherwax-adjacent story that wasn't solid. (Too bad I can't say the same for Vimes thanks to Snuff.)

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm continuing my march through the Discworld books with a few new purchases: Lords and Ladies, Jingo, Reaper Man, and Small Gods.

Leaning towards reading Small Gods first.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Bogart wrote: »

I'm more talking about flow.
    There's a flow to a pratchett book that grabs me and sweeps me along for the ride.
    I don't feel that with the earlier books anymore. When I first read them, yeah, but later, not as much. Wyrd sisters is close, but only the bits with the witches are truly gripping for me.
    Mort I honestly couldn't read again, because I'd read it again after years last year. I just, sort of, skipped most of it. Couldn't keep my attention this time. It's a good book though. They're all good books.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I'd still say to start at the beginning, with
    The Colour of Magic, and go in chronological order from there. It's true that most of the books are self contained, but doing it that way lets you see how Sir Pterry grew and matured as a writer, as well as seeing how the Discworld advanced technologically; something you don't see very often in a fantasy setting.

Also, the first two books still remain as some of my favorites.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Starting to get a little depressed thinking about it again. :(

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Re Carrot
    I personally love how whenever Carrot is in the room Vetinari every so subtly checks out Carrots reaction to any large policy decision he is making. It's not exactly like asking for permission. But Vimes notices it every time.

Also the part in Fifth Elephant where he hands in his badge, Vetinari's reaction was great. He didn't see it coming. I get the feeling he genuinely can't read Carrot and it bothers him a bit.

All of this - excellent analysis! I'd never actually noticed the deference to Carrot's choices, although obviously I've noticed that he's the only person Vetinari is actually afraid of. I would have loved to read the book where power is handed to Carrot because that is clearly where the series was headed; but Veti didn't want Carrot to rule without Vimes, either.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Re Carrot
    I personally love how whenever Carrot is in the room Vetinari every so subtly checks out Carrots reaction to any large policy decision he is making. It's not exactly like asking for permission. But Vimes notices it every time.

Also the part in Fifth Elephant where he hands in his badge, Vetinari's reaction was great. He didn't see it coming. I get the feeling he genuinely can't read Carrot and it bothers him a bit.

All of this - excellent analysis! I'd never actually noticed the deference to Carrot's choices, although obviously I've noticed that he's the only person Vetinari is actually afraid of. I would have loved to read the book where power is handed to Carrot because that is clearly where the series was headed; but Veti didn't want Carrot to rule without Vimes, either.

I don't think so. I think both Vetinari and Carrot knew that while Carrot would be a great leader, the big problem is who comes next. The time of kings in Ankh-Morpork was over. What comes next, who could've said?

Also, I think Vetinari can't predict Carrot because he knows that everyone has a hidden agenda, and looks to that, whereas Carrot is actually that simple.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Re Carrot

I don't think so. I think both Vetinari and Carrot knew that while Carrot would be a great leader, the big problem is who comes next. The time of kings in Ankh-Morpork was over. What comes next, who could've said?

Also, I think Vetinari can't predict Carrot because he knows that everyone has a hidden agenda, and looks to that, whereas Carrot is actually that simple.

“The old order changeth yielding place to new
    And God fulfills himself in many ways
    Lest one good custom should corrupt the world..."

• Options
    TroggTrogg Registered User regular
    The idea behind Carrot refusing power is that he knows power corrupts. He stops being a good person the moment he thinks he has a right to rule others. It's like it says in Men at Arms, a real King is someone who can put the sword into the stone - walk away from power - not take it out.

This is the reason why Vetinari is so successful as a leader. Because he doesn't exercise power. He didn't want a police force or an army. His role is simply to keep the balance of power in the city between each competing faction, so that no-one gets completely what they want. Like fencingsax said about Carrot above, his opponents can't figure out his agenda because he doesn't have one.

Vetinari is essentially an allegory for democracy and the rule of law. Ankh-Morpork is a squalid mismash of peoples, ideas and cultures, most of whom despise each other. It's corrupt in every sense. But it has to be that way, because we are corrupt.

Vetinari, like democracy, is despised by everyone (he has the nickname "dog-botherer") but ultimately recognized as essential. Carrot meanwhile represents the dream of a utopian system which we all think we want but are thankfully kept from having to experience the reality of.

The only reason for Vetinari to die and Carrot to become king would be if Pratchett wanted to tell a tragic allegorical tale about what happens when we abandon democracy for tyranny. And Carrot is too smart to become the protagonist of that narrative.

• Options
    Also Carrot is, in his quiet way, way too fucking metal to let anyone make him be king.

Eg: The Fifth Elephant when oops there's a situation which he can't play off by pretending to be the big lumpkin naif and suddenly he's Mr Scary Person McSrsbsns

• Options
    GETH CONCURS WITH CARROT'S THEORY OF GOVERNMENT.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    GETH CONCURS WITH CARROT'S THEORY OF GOVERNMENT.

I'd say it's more likely he's scared of Carrot.

• Options
    I also liked in the the fourth tiffany book.
    When he's immediately considered dangerous by the witches because of his scary habit of asking particularly incisive questions out of nowhere.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Trogg wrote: »
    The idea behind Carrot refusing power is that he knows power corrupts. He stops being a good person the moment he thinks he has a right to rule others. It's like it says in Men at Arms, a real King is someone who can put the sword into the stone - walk away from power - not take it out.

This is the reason why Vetinari is so successful as a leader. Because he doesn't exercise power. He didn't want a police force or an army. His role is simply to keep the balance of power in the city between each competing faction, so that no-one gets completely what they want. Like fencingsax said about Carrot above, his opponents can't figure out his agenda because he doesn't have one.

Vetinari is essentially an allegory for democracy and the rule of law. Ankh-Morpork is a squalid mismash of peoples, ideas and cultures, most of whom despise each other. It's corrupt in every sense. But it has to be that way, because we are corrupt.

Vetinari, like democracy, is despised by everyone (he has the nickname "dog-botherer") but ultimately recognized as essential. Carrot meanwhile represents the dream of a utopian system which we all think we want but are thankfully kept from having to experience the reality of.

The only reason for Vetinari to die and Carrot to become king would be if Pratchett wanted to tell a tragic allegorical tale about what happens when we abandon democracy for tyranny. And Carrot is too smart to become the protagonist of that narrative.

Men at Arms direct plot spoiler.
    Hence why Carrot picked up the Gonne, actually listened to what it had to say, and then immediately smashed it.
    V1m wrote: »
    Also Carrot is, in his quiet way, way too fucking metal to let anyone make him be king.

Eg: The Fifth Elephant when oops there's a situation which he can't play off by pretending to be the big lumpkin naif and suddenly he's Mr Scary Person McSrsbsns

Well the thing is he isn't actually pretending. He really is that simple. Which means when the situation turns to the point where the simple solution is to be Mr Scary McSrsbsns he does so. There's no duplicity in Carrots character. He is what he is.
    If vetinari ever asked him about ruling the city he would simply refuse, because he likes his current job better. And he would mean every word.

Carrot is basically a really good deconstruction of the "ideal" fantasy King candidate. Brave, noble, intelligent, honest, straightforward. What would happen if someone with all of those qualities actually appeared in a city that would be worse off with a King?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What's all this Carrot talk? everyone knows the true king is Nobby Nobbs. The nobiest of Knobs.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What's all this Carrot talk? everyone knows the true king is Nobby Nobbs. The nobiest of Knobs.

Vimes'll go SPARE!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I always thought there was a sort of buildup for Vetinari to hand the reins of the city over to Moist von Lipwig. The fact that Lipwig succeeds under pressure while simultaneously being absolutely terrified of actually having power makes him a better ruler than someone who would actually want the position.

But, of course, Lipwig is at his best when he doesn't have a plan, and that's probably the worst possible way to run a city-state.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Every book, Lipwig gets handed power over something else. First the post office, then the bank, then the railway... By the end of the series, he might just have ended up in charge of the entire city, bit by bit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Every book, Lipwig gets handed power over something else. First the post office, then the bank, then the railway... By the end of the series, he might just have ended up in charge of the entire city, bit by bit.

General Lipwig...

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

That's Cecil Wormsborough St. John Nobbs, The Earl of Ankh to you peasant!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Adora Belle for next Patrician.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Adora Belle for next Patrician.

...huh. They even look somewhat similar, come to think of it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I was kind of expecting an Ankh Morpork politics book to have some well meaning but stupid group abduct Vetinari and force vampire on him so that he could rule forever which ends with Vetinari stepping aside as the Patrician for life ends due to him being living impaired. As for who gets to be in charge, I figure that the political groups left in charge after Verinari would be a mix of everyone having just enough power to get things done while not having enough to tell other people how things should get done. A system of mutually assured disruption.

And then they all have some rat kebobs.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Sigh. You know, I respect Brianna's decision and it's well within her right to make it, but I do wish they actually conceived of doing an ending story to wrap things up. "BLANK becomes next Patrician" would be a pretty logical stopping point, and practically all the main characters would be viable nominees. Rincewind could just stumble into the job, for example.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DropbearDropbear Registered User regular
    Sigh. You know, I respect Brianna's decision and it's well within her right to make it, but I do wish they actually conceived of doing an ending story to wrap things up. "BLANK becomes next Patrician" would be a pretty logical stopping point, and practically all the main characters would be viable nominees. Rincewind could just stumble into the job, for example.

I would respect them just releasing whatever notes Sir Terry leaves behind in raw format, maybe with some notes by Rhianna to clarify if needed.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm okay with it having no neat ending, personally.
    It's almost completely against Terry's philosophy for there to be nice neat endings in life. Most of his books are kinda messy but work out good enough from the main characters point of view.
    I'd basically view it as a bit disrespectful to be honest.

Notes would be a bit different, but having read his short story about how he writes a book I don't think we'd glean much from it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I was kind of expecting an Ankh Morpork politics book to have some well meaning but stupid group abduct Vetinari and force vampire on him so that he could rule forever which ends with Vetinari stepping aside as the Patrician for life ends due to him being living impaired. As for who gets to be in charge, I figure that the political groups left in charge after Verinari would be a mix of everyone having just enough power to get things done while not having enough to tell other people how things should get done. A system of mutually assured disruption.

Oy, did someone say "kebobs?"

Step right up, folks, step right up! At these prices, I'm cutting me own throat!

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think Raising Steam is a fitting "ending" It ends on an optimistic note and with the primary morporkians in a good place.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think I've ever really viewed the books as a series that needed an ending. The Discworld story isn't something with a beginning, middle and end. It rolls on forever. The Lipwig books have the Patrician's Undertaking as the backbone, but I'm not sure Pratchett was ever going to tie a bow on it and say 'and they lived happily ever after'.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Raising Steam felt like a capstone for the series - lots of characters got a brief section to themselves as they react to the new technology.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Step right up, folks, step right up! At these prices, I'm cutting me own throat!

Rincewind was right.

An equivalent of Dibbler exists everywhere.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Rincewind was right.

An equivalent of Dibbler exists everywhere.
    I really like seeing all the CMOT Dibbler clones out there. :D

Also, Cut MegO Thor Dibbler, yes?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Look, is somebody gonna buy a rat-onna-stick, or what?

If you don't want kebobs, I've got some nice sausage-inna-bun.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hmm. What's in the sausage?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Meat from a named barnyard animal.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Meat from a named barnyard animal.

Or possibly an animal that might be found in or near a barnyard.

Some of these sausages were formerly quite urbane. Very posh. Those cost extra!

kyrcl.png
This discussion has been closed.