As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twisted Pixel Thread - Ms. Splosion Man OUT NOW! 800 POINTS! RAVE REVIEWS!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, the stats screen song alone makes me glad I bought this. This is probably the most humorous game I've ever played.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    This game is way too difficult, but it might have something to do with the controls. I hate when you cant move and shoot at the same time. And when shit is flying everywhere, you have to choose between dodging and shooting. I tend to choose shooting.
    ...are we playing the same game? Right analog stick aims, left analog stick moves you. You don't have to fire in the direction your moving.

Also, yeah, the gameplay is kind of meh, but the humor makes up for it.

Ah, stupid me. Of course you can move and shoot while on the ground, but I had just finished the first Silver age stage, which has a lot of climbing and grabbing poles (:winky:). And that resulted in way to many deaths. I guess I had forgotten that you also walk in this game. ;-)

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one finding the gameplay to be on the disappointing side. The style is fun but actually playing it is so uninspired and repetitive.

To me it really feels like for The Maw and Splosion Man they came up with a gameplay concept first and fit a crazy story around that, whereas for this the story came first and they did their best to come up with gameplay to fit.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, stupid me. Of course you can move and shoot while on the ground, but I had just finished the first Silver age stage, which has a lot of climbing and grabbing poles (:winky:). And that resulted in way to many deaths. I guess I had forgotten that you also walk in this game. ;-)

During the climbing portions in the Silver Age, you can focus on climbing and not killing. None of the enemies have homing attacks and they don't know how to lead you, so you can often just climb straight up unimpeded. Of course, if you get swarmed by those spinning run-into-you type dolls, you might have to stop and shoot your way out to avoid damage.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I found sliding down the ropes in the Silver Age worked a charm, especially with the kamikaze enemies.

Loving the extras I've purchased, especially when I noticed you can press A for background info on the item in question.

And one visit to the achievement wall led to the prompt changing to
    Press X to Stroke Ego

So good.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the second Silver Age level was absolutely annoying... The gilded sheen this game has wore off a little bit. Its odd, I still really like it and everything is so good until you actually have to play the game, then its pretty sub-par. Got stuck on the third Silver Age level, and decided to farm the first Captain smiley level to max out stats. My earnings bonus from bonuses is like 194.5% so I get like 11,000+ each time I complete it.

I don't regret my purchase though, the songs and descriptions for concept art were well worth the price of admission.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So the second Silver Age level was absolutely annoying... The gilded sheen this game has wore off a little bit. Its odd, I still really like it and everything is so good until you actually have to play the game, then its pretty sub-par. Got stuck on the third Silver Age level, and decided to farm the first Captain smiley level to max out stats. My earnings bonus from bonuses is like 194.5% so I get like 11,000+ each time I complete it.

I don't regret my purchase though, the songs and descriptions for concept art were well worth the price of admission.

What part are you having trouble with?

On a similar note though, the first Manga level kicks my ass at the very start, I feel like I should be rewarded with a checkpoint, but no dice. I'm kinda annoyed that after Splosion Man's fantastic checkpoint system TP seem to have taken a step back.

In more positive news, buy the first bonus video if you haven't already, it's excellent.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll be grabbing a point card today, so yay, I'll get to play this. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010

On a similar note though, the first Manga level kicks my ass at the very start, I feel like I should be rewarded with a checkpoint, but no dice. I'm kinda annoyed that after Splosion Man's fantastic checkpoint system TP seem to have taken a step back.

In more positive news, buy the first bonus video if you haven't already, it's excellent.

There's this long gauntlet of robots, knife/fire spitting dummies and Kamikaze/fan tossing Geishas. At times its just too much to dodge, but there's no checkpoint so when you inevitably die you have to start the gauntlet all over again :(

I figure I only have to grind the first level a few times to max out Smiley, so hopefully it wont be a problem then.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This may be the funniest game I've ever played. Too bad it's no fun.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited October 2010

There's this long gauntlet of robots, knife/fire spitting dummies and Kamikaze/fan tossing Geishas. At times its just too much to dodge, but there's no checkpoint so when you inevitably die you have to start the gauntlet all over again :(

I figure I only have to grind the first level a few times to max out Smiley, so hopefully it wont be a problem then.

Oh yeah, that fucked me over a few times.

Best advice I can give is to take it carefully. The fire-breathing dummies are only an issue close up, so make sure you're out of range and they aren't a problem. Sliding is great for avoiding projectiles, so prioritise the kamikaze enemies that are trying to hit you, then the projectile-throwing enemies, then finally the fire-breather.

It would still be nice if the game restored your health at checkpoints, it does it anyway when you die, so why do I feel like I need to die to have a better chance of beating a segment? Plus, greyed-out Smiley isn't as fun to watch.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, the Hent High level is awesome. For some reason the gameplay on that level just "clicks" for me. Except for the cafeteria, which is a bit annoying.

And hey, I'm in the credits!

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    Man, the Hent High level is awesome. For some reason the gameplay on that level just "clicks" for me. Except for the cafeteria, which is a bit annoying.

And hey, I'm in the credits!

Yeah, that might be my favorite level in the game. It really feels like the Manga levels were all written by different people, because the Hent High one actually plays like a satire while the first and third levels are just a bunch of random rail-shooting.

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the Manga level is awesome. I completely lost it when
    Smiley is forced to sing the song at the end of the first and third issues of Cutie Cutie Kid Cupids, and that you can press buttons the first time to make him dance to it. By far the best song Twisted Pixel's had in one of their games.

Also the second-to-last boss and ending sequence are pretty cool.

Despite being a bit put off by the gameplay at times (namely against bosses with incredibly high health bars), this as hands down one of my favoirte Arcade titles. Definitely worth the fifteen dollars.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also the second-to-last boss and ending sequence are pretty cool.

I love the final level just because I can imagine the design meeting that lead to it.

"Guys, we need a grand finale, and it has to be something epic, but we just don't have the resources to create a whole new level."

"I think I have an awesome solution."

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck this game!!!

I'm at the boss in the last Silver age level which has like 1 million hitpoints, and I manage to get him down to 80.000 HP without him hitting me even once. But at the last segment I get hit by a laser and dies (had almost zero life the whole fight). And then the game shits all over me by restarting back at the beginning of the fight! Its the worlds most boring bossfight, and now I have to do it AGAIN!!!!! :evil:

There is not enough rage in the world to describe how I feel right now!!!!

What were they thinking? They even flip the page 3 times during the fight. Why not put at least one quicksave there?

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck this game!!!

I'm at the boss in the last Silver age level which has like 1 million hitpoints, and I manage to get him down to 80.000 HP without him hitting me even once. But at the last segment I get hit by a laser and dies (had almost zero life the whole fight). And then the game shits all over me by restarting back at the beginning of the fight! Its the worlds most boring bossfight, and now I have to do it AGAIN!!!!! :evil:

What were they thinking? They even flip the page 3 times during the fight. Why not put at least one quicksave there?

Who knows? The game is funny as hell, but the game play is badly designed in so many different ways. The part that pissed me off was the boss of the fantasy section and the long uninterruptable attack animations that made it a pain to dodge the boss's super attack. I would be in the middle of an attack and the boss would charge up and hit me for over a quarter of damage before my attack would end and I was given control back of the character.

edit: nevermind

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Playing the demo; so far, I like everything but the gameplay.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Playing the demo; so far, I like everything but the gameplay.
    That seems to be the general consensus. While I'm not entirely happy with the $15 price tag for the gameplay, I suppose the fact that I got $5 worth of points from Bing rewards and would probably have paid $5 for the 'Splosion Man levels more than makes up for it.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fuck this game!!!

Yeah, that segment is just mean, although you can just focus on evasion on the part with the BS yellow lasers, since you reach a dead end not long after and the boss fight is a bit easier then.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddammit I wanna love this game so much but the actual gameplay keeps distracting me from all the funny.

The 4th level was killing me, both from the "jesus christ this gameplay is crap" and the "jesus christ that's hilarious" standpoint.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddammit I wanna love this game so much but the actual gameplay keeps distracting me from all the funny.

The 4th level was killing me, both from the "jesus christ this gameplay is crap" and the "jesus christ that's hilarious" standpoint.

I'm doing an issue every day / couple of days at the moment. Gives me time inbetween to get rid of the frustration from the awful gameplay.

Game is funny, looks and sounds great and some sections test my reactions quite well but most of the time it's just boring, repetitive, tedious and sometimes just plain unfair.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sadly, I'm in agreement with a lot of you guys.

The gameplay can get a bit bland and repetitive. The humor though is worth having the game all by itself.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gameplay Tip: You know how the slide is nigh-impossible to pull off in the heat of battle. Well, you can also slide by pressing LB, but the game never tells you.

I beat the entire game without knowing this.

I want to die.
    Fuck this game!!!

Want to know the best part?
    That guy's not the boss.

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh god damn. I just finished the game today. I don't even want to think about how much damage I took from jumping when I wanted to slide.

Edit:

The bosses in this game were pretty much the easiest part of it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'm alone in that the Drill Tank fight in the Silver Age is actually my favorite boss in the game. He's hard, but unlike most of the bosses he feels like a fair challenge. His attacks all have a little wind-up so he can't just cold-cock you like some. His hitbox actually makes sense instead of extending waaay out around him. Best of all, no sliding required.

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I honestly didn't mind the difficulty , I just played it like I play metal slug. I loved this game so much I went back and bought splosion man. These guys make AWESOME games.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I don't get why the game tells you to slide the harder way. Thankfully I checked the game controls on the menu right at the start, so that has made the difficulty more bearable.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I discovered the LB slide by accident, didn't even realize they don't tell you during the Modern comic that you can do that rather than pressing LT and down on the joystick. Kinda wish there was an option to disable to LT and down option, since I did find myself sliding instead of jumping a few times, but it wasn't that irritating.

I think it just takes a while to get used to the gameplay controls. There weren't many times when I was frustrated with the gameplay, although my undying love for Twisted Pixel after their work on The Maw and Splosion Man might've been a factor.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This may be the funniest game I've ever played. Too bad it's no fun.

I don't really think it's even that funny. It is just trying so hard that it feels forced. Damnit, I wanted to give them more money, but I just can't bring myself to pick this up.

Can I buy the 'splosion man levels separately?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is a modern retelling of everything I hate and love about Earthworm Jim.

Hate: shooting tiny ineffectual BBs in all directions, floaty jumps, large animation frames
    Love: the humor, big-guy-with-tiny-head, hell I even watched the Earthworm Jim cartoon

I will definitely try the demo on the next Twisted Pixel game before buying. This is the game they spent their goodwill on.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ive enjoyed the game so far (2nd issue of silver age)

Game could have used a few different weapons to spice things up a bit though

Berserkis on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just bought the full version

Does anyone know if the stat song is different if you haven't skipped any cinemas yet?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just bought the full version

Does anyone know if the stat song is different if you haven't skipped any cinemas yet?

Its not. =(

I beat it last night. The ending lives up to the insanely high standards the 'Splosion Man ending had previously set.

I agree with the gameplay complaints, but I still loved it. It wasn't horrible, just not great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If the checkpoint and health system was improved (the former being more frequent and the latter being restored upon hitting a checkpoint, even a certain amount) then I would be content with the gameplay. Can't wait until I see the ending.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So the only cheevo I need to 200/200 this game is "He aint even Married" I'm convinced there's no way to complete that Benny segment without getting hit... goddamn lasers....

Also, as of last night I'm ranked #6 on the leaderboards for the final level, woo! Never been that high on any leaderboard before.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Benny was my favorite boss of the entire game.

His random yelling had me cracking up, and I actually find him pretty fun.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I like Benny and his Total Recallness. I just can't get through that section without getting hit by lasers or missiles... and I want to 200/200 this game.

Last level spoilers too:
    Ringtone the 2nd is better than the first one. "BahhhhhhhhhBOOM goes my ringtone, BA-BOOM goes my phone!"

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually never got hit by the missiles or laser. I got hit by the drill ... due to failure to drop through the platform. I should go back and redo it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I beat the game a few days ago, and I admit I was a little surprised at how few 'styles' were incorporated. Looking back at the trailer, and even looking through the bonus material, it looks like they had much loftier goals than the game wound up fulfilling. The humor was still pretty good, but it was still a very linear and same-y game from start to finish. I wish they had spent just a little more time on the gameplay to vary it up.

That being said, I still liked it a lot.
    If the checkpoint and health system was improved (the former being more frequent and the latter being restored upon hitting a checkpoint, even a certain amount) then I would be content with the gameplay. Can't wait until I see the ending.

I didn't realize this until last night when I was trying one of the challenges: If you use a Help Me, it restores your health to full. I think it's the only way you can regain health.

TetraNitroCubane on