As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello, I'm a [Mac Thread]

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AIMs network is an order of magnitude more stable though.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    Lets face it. If you need to use the default client, MSN is about a million times for palatable than AIM. I don't know if its a local phenomenon, but nobody uses AIM in my part of Canada.

Considering how shitty AIM is I always wonder how it ever got popular.

Going with limited knowledge of when AIM came about, I would guess AOL popularity in the US combined with just being able to sign in on AIM with one's AOL name and start chattifying.

i remember being exposed to ICQ first...but i think that was sort of rare. AIM became popular by being there and being simple. to be honest, both ICQ and MSN were originally more of a pain in the ass to deal with for most users. the interface of AIM was very intuitive. so much so that my parents could use it. it was a pretty bare-bones bit of software.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I havent used anything other than skype for quite some time now...
    I dont know anyone that still uses msn or AIM....

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I havent used anything other than skype for quite some time now...
    I dont know anyone that still uses msn or AIM....

same reason people still smoke?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    AIMs network is an order of magnitude more stable though.
    Messenger goes down like once ever year for me. How is AIM so much more stable ?

It depends on where you are, in Australia AIM usage seems to be non-existent whereas everyone has Messenger.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    Messenger goes down like once ever year for me. How is AIM so much more stable ?

It depends on where you are, in Australia AIM usage seems to be non-existent whereas everyone has Messenger.
    It's admittedly gotten better as of the last year or so.

ICQ is for real men. If you used ICQ because there was no other option; you were part of the Golden Age of the Internet. You can add more brownie points if your IRCd in those days too.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if you have a sub 4 digit icq # then you are a real man

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    squirly wrote: »

It's admittedly gotten better as of the last year or so.

ICQ is for real men. If you used ICQ because there was no other option; you were part of the Golden Age of the Internet. You can add more brownie points if your IRCd in those days too.
    Well, I've never had any problems with MSN having used it for like ~5 years aside from downtime once or twice a year, at most, which is expected if you have the largest IM network (Isn't MSN like 4 times the size of AIM ? IIRC).

I used ICQ back in the day when I played SC daily, and I used to use IRC heaps, now not so much.

You'd love my brother, he loves ICQ and has been using it forever and just won't give it up, he also still plays Earth 2120 (Or whatever the name is) so I guess that says a little bit about him. He has a low ICQ account # I think and a BNet account with the disallowed characters.. I think, I'll have to ask him.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was an old ICQ'er, used it since very early 1997 (I -think-). I think I had a 5 or 6 digit account, it's been too long to remember. And I used to use IRC too, and in fact am still on Efnet and Undernet daily!

Which leads me to ask:

Good IRC client for Mac OS X?

Oh and I'm after a really good, almost professional level video editing package for my Macbook. Any recommendations? I'm willing to pay through the nose.

::quick edit:: Adobe Premiere and Avid I've used on the PC. I haven't actually tried Final Cut yet for Mac, any good? Anyone any experience with Adobe Premiere on Mac?

Thanks.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

X-Chat Aqua serves all my needs, and then some.

area on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Everyone run Software Update, OS X has been upgraded to 10.4.9.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I was an old ICQ'er, used it since very early 1997 (I -think-). I think I had a 5 or 6 digit account, it's been too long to remember. And I used to use IRC too, and in fact am still on Efnet and Undernet daily!

Which leads me to ask:

Oh and I'm after a really good, almost professional level video editing package for my Macbook. Any recommendations? I'm willing to pay through the nose.

::quick edit:: Adobe Premiere and Avid I've used on the PC. I haven't actually tried Final Cut yet for Mac, any good? Anyone any experience with Adobe Premiere on Mac?

Thanks.

Colloquy is the best Mac IRC client, but it looks more like Adium than mIRC, which bothers people sometimes.

I am pulling this out of thin air, but does Final Cut have a 30 day trial?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know you can uninstall programs just by dragging them to the recycle bin, but I also know that some programs don't get fully uninstalled this way. Is there a program the collective would recommend for completely removing programs?

In a possibly related note, my computer has been way slow recently. Any way to tune it up?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AppZapper and TechTools

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In a possibly related note, my computer has been way slow recently. Any way to tune it up?

My computer became crazy sluggish after I installed the latest OS patch... Is anyone else having similar problems?

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    AppZapper and TechTools

Went with AppZapper, thanks. I am a sucker for a cute little raygun!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    mr_sweetcandymr_sweetcandy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Though most people have already answered for me, nobody I know uses AIM. As for Adium and the quacking a)that was just a joke and b)I'm well aware you can turn the quaking off but, at least in the version I was using, it was either the quack or no sound at all. That wouldn't have worked for me.

I use MSN because it works fine. It does everything I need an IM client to do.

mr_sweetcandy on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Though most people have already answered for me, nobody I know uses AIM. As for Adium and the quacking a)that was just a joke and b)I'm well aware you can turn the quaking off but, at least in the version I was using, it was either the quack or no sound at all. That wouldn't have worked for me.

I use MSN because it works fine. It does everything I need an IM client to do.

Must've been a real old version. You can download/make new soundsets, and I'm pretty sure it comes with several. Mine currently uses an MGS2 soundset.

...The fact that the alert noise is the 'ohshitspotted' sound played at a high volume continues to make me jump a little every time I hear it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So here's an interesting Thread Aside: What Adium sound/contact list style do you use?

For my sound set, I use Tokyo Train Station, which I find is nice and pleasing to the ear.

Nothing fancy as far as Dock icons or emoticons, but for my color theme I use Morphus Black, my List Layout I use Grass, and for messages I simply use Smooth Operator.

adiumxun4.jpg

Restarting after the 10.4.9 update now. Wish me luck.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AIM:
    Back in the day AIM got massively popular quickly because AOL's millions of subscribers automagically had AIM accounts. As soon as AOL decoupled AIM accounts from paid AOL accounts its usage shot up even higher. Then AOL bought Mirablis and spent the next little while bridging the two messaging systems. ICQ users could/can message AIM users without any trouble. AOL also signed some peering deals, notably with Apple which allows .Mac users to log onto and talk to people on AIM.

AOL failed to gain much traction outside of the US because the pricing and availability of landline phones was almost the opposite of here. In most parts of Europe and Japan landline calls are charged by the minute where most typically here local calls are service free and unlimited. AIM's popularity mirrors AOL's former domain, where AOL failed AIM never really gained much popularity.

MSN on the otherhand made huge pushes in Europe and Australia and as such gained quite a bit of popularity. Microsoft tied Messenger accounts to Hotmail/Passport so Hotmail's wide usage meant Messenger got some free exposure as an AIM alternative. Yahoo!'s gains likewise mirrored gains in popularity of their free webmail/homepage service.

Final Cut:
    As of now there's no version of Premiere for the Mac. Adobe's got a new version in the works AFAIK but right now Premiere Pro is Windows only. However Apple does have their badass video editing suite of their own. FCP is one of the better editing environments I've used. It does damn near everything and covers just about any video distribution format you want to target. If you don't want to drop the cash for the full FCP you can get Final Cut Express which does about 75% of what FCP does (nearly identical interface, project format, media management). FCE doesn't support uncompressed editing or Cinema Tools but it can handle HDV and DV editing.

IRC:
    Colloquy FTW. If you want a more mIRC feel you'll probably want to check out X-Chat Aqua but if you want a good Mac application Colloquy is what you want. It supports lots of different themes, plug-ins and scripts. Scripts can be written in AppleScript so they can do pretty much anything AppleScript can.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Excellent, cheers. There's a beta of adobe premiere floating around in less "favourable" areas of the internet for Mac, so I'm going to give that a go (just because it's something I'm familiar with). I've got a free weekend this weekend though so I'm going to pick up a trial of Final Cut Pro, I hear I may have a bit of hassle getting it to run on my MB but it does work, I'll give it a run through this weekend and, if it meets my needs, methinks I'll purchase it.

Video editing is only a hobby and I make no cash off it, but damn it, it's a hobby I enjoy so I like to splash out on a good editing suite :) Also, I've discovered hooking my macbook up to my 32" tv and using a dual monitor display gives me oodles of space which is gonna be awesome when editing something together.

Thanks for the IRC suggestion, I'll pick that up tonight. I got toast for cd/dvd burning and mounting of disc images, was this a wise purchase?

I'm also debating picking up Adobe Photoshop, is there a better, cheaper mac alternative?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Here's an odd one:

I noticed that my right click (two fingers on the mousepad at once), randomly stops working from time to time. Going into Preferences and turning it off, and back on, brings it back to life.

But why does it stop working?

A comment on some blog said something to the effect of "I noticed my double right click stopped working after my MacBook awoke from a deep sleep". Anybody know how to make it not stop working after sleep?

Is deep sleep when the battery dies while it's sleeping and you turn it on to a blurred image of whatever you were doing when it died with a progress bar at the bottom?

Thanks

Price check?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I use the notebook theme for the list:
    screenshot3oi2.png

And I don't remember what for the window:
    screenshot2lo4.png

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You know I should actually investigate programs I use a tad more. I didn't even know you could use themes with Adiumx.

I particularily liked the almost completely transparent one on the other page.

Oh and does anyone know any decent usenet clients, I tried Unison and it seemed to only use one thread for downloads despite my insistance it used 20.

Also, best Torrent client? I use torrents a lot for sending video footage (hence video editing software) between friends so I both seed and leech an awful lot. I think I'm using Bit Tomato at the mo. It seemed 'ok'

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Transmission for BT. Best client I've ever used.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The release of 10.4.9 pretty much confirms a 10.5 leopard release in the next two months.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anybody thinks that the Macbook line is going to get a revision for Leopard?

I'm gearing up to buy a Macbook, but I'm a bit paranoid about buying now before Leopard comes out.
    I'm afraid I might pull a Leo Laporte (Something for all you Macbreak weekly listeners).

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I would hold off until Leopard if you can, but I wouldn't expect new hardware.

But the Leopard upgrade would be nice.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm waiting for three things for my iMac purchase:

1) Leopard
    2) iLife '07
    3) Possible Graphics Card Upgrade

#3 may not happen with the next revision, but once #1 and #2 happen, I'm pulling the trigger.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So in the finder, there's the sidebar that offers easy-access to particular folders, you can even add another folder by dropping it in so that a link is made and you can directly access it.

For a while now, I've been sticking my generic Downloads folder into said sidebar. But every little while, the folder disappears from the sidebar. The folder still exists, just not in the sidebar. It happens anywhere between hours and days, is there a way to make the folder stay there permanently? (Or at least until I decide to remove it myself)

Arminas on
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If anyone is knowledgeable of Snak and interchanging files through irc please pm me so we can aim, i am almost there but cant get the damn dcc crap right.

battledrill on

edited March 2007
    Arminas wrote: »
    So in the finder, there's the sidebar that offers easy-access to particular folders, you can even add another folder by dropping it in so that a link is made and you can directly access it.

For a while now, I've been sticking my generic Downloads folder into said sidebar. But every little while, the folder disappears from the sidebar. The folder still exists, just not in the sidebar. It happens anywhere between hours and days, is there a way to make the folder stay there permanently? (Or at least until I decide to remove it myself)
    No idea, there's no reason it should be "forgetting" unless you are dragging it out of the sidebar again by accident.

Try deleting com.apple.Finder from your Library/Preferences folder. This will delete all you Finder preferences (such as icon sizes and things) but usually when weird stuff happens for no reason and without interaction, it's a preferences problem.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So is there any way to access files on the Boot Camp partition from OS X and vica versa? I realize they're different file systems but there might be a utility out there or something.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Down, Set, GoDown, Set, Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I might pull a Leo Laporte (Something for all you Macbreak weekly listeners).

It was funnier when he talked about it on ZDNet all those years ago. He seemed so happy showing off his cube.. :/
    If you can wait up to two months, I say go for it.

Down, Set, Go on
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    So is there any way to access files on the Boot Camp partition from OS X and vica versa? I realize they're different file systems but there might be a utility out there or something.

Accessing the Boot Camp partition from OS X should be trivial--OS X has full read/write capability for Fat32 partitions (read only for NTFS, although there are read-write NTFS drivers out there IIRC).

For the flip side, I've heard good things about MacDrive, but I have no experience with it personally. I usually just stick any files to be shared on the Fat32 partition and be done with it (or, for large files or backups, I have a network share on another Mac that has Windows sharing enabled, so that both OSes can see it).

--mcn

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OK, so now that I have a Macbook (2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig 5400 rpm internal, 250 gig 7200 rpm external G-Drive) i would like to at least get a few decent games for it. I have a huge library of PC games and was wondering if any of them will work on the Macbook, now that they are using the Intel processors (as I'm typing this I think I already know the answer, but just want confirmation that it is "no, not without using bootcamp", which I would prefer to avoid).

Are there any decent games that I can run on this thing? I mostly got it for video and audio editing, but figured it would be nice to play some games here and there as well. Recomendations for demos and/or freeware are also welcomed. Thanks!

Yall on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As far as games go, Galcon is pretty addictive, and Diablo II is...well, it's Diablo II.

So I'm a Mac newbie with a brand new MacBook. What are the details on Leopard? Anything specific on what it's suppose to improve on?

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I use MacDrive, and it works perfectly. Even just about got my iTunes library shared 'tween the two, though it gets flaky if I remove or add anything on the Mac side (my main OS)

In other news, the Mighty Mouse fucking sucks for CS:S. Has anyone had any experience with this:
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=16A98C55&nplm=TH291

ben0207 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yall wrote: »
    OK, so now that I have a Macbook (2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig 5400 rpm internal, 250 gig 7200 rpm external G-Drive) i would like to at least get a few decent games for it. I have a huge library of PC games and was wondering if any of them will work on the Macbook, now that they are using the Intel processors (as I'm typing this I think I already know the answer, but just want confirmation that it is "no, not without using bootcamp", which I would prefer to avoid).

Are there any decent games that I can run on this thing? I mostly got it for video and audio editing, but figured it would be nice to play some games here and there as well. Recomendations for demos and/or freeware are also welcomed. Thanks!

I don't know about other Blizzard games, but I know that Warcraft 3 and its expansion just have one disc for both versions, so if you own that you can install it on your new macbook just like you would on a PC.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    At the very least StarCraft and WoW are hybrid discs.

ben0207 on