As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion - Good Night, Doctor Lucky (Game Over)

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    But Gumpy, think of the village. What ever will we do if the evil mafia decides to take you out, and you have not yet passed along your knowledge on how to detect them amongst the crowd?
    You've got to tell the people, for the fate of the free worlds rests in your mind.
    Not entirely sarcastic, actually. I'm curious.

These are not things specific to this game, but what I use as a Phalla player. Like Lady Eri's numbers, but more awesome.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to propose a possibility, unrelated to the current discussion.

This is more of a probabilities thing. I note that of the starting positions of the 8 mafia we've killed so far, on the exterior of the house, 1 was in the foyer. 1 was in the billiards room. 1 was in the study. And 1 died before placement. Now in the center rooms, which offer the most manuverability, 3 were in the dining room. We know they were willing to stack based on that. But only 1 was found in the Lounge.
    So this is the question. What do you believe the chances are that they had more than 1 in the lounge as well.
    If you believe they would have, then may I direct your attention to Delmain, the last surviving player from the lounge. And he's also faithfully followed the bandwagons since day 3.

Edit: Added the "of the starting positions", because that's what I am describing, but it' was not clear.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gonna be blowing a high level Halt card today, Dr Lucky won't be moving. If you want to kill him, hit the lounge.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    But Gumpy, think of the village. What ever will we do if the evil mafia decides to take you out, and you have not yet passed along your knowledge on how to detect them amongst the crowd?
    You've got to tell the people, for the fate of the free worlds rests in your mind.
    Not entirely sarcastic, actually. I'm curious.

These are not things specific to this game, but what I use as a Phalla player. Like Lady Eri's numbers, but more awesome.

Hence why I say the fate of the free worlds, sir. You would deprive villages [strike]the[/strike]that have yet to even exist of your awesome methology thru your secretive nature. :P

Jobastion on
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hurm

Interesting things have occurred.

Fate of the free worlds...

Gumpy on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hmm I think its just a matter of time, and Jobastion's logic isn't horrid and I know nothing about Delmain (not that I'm all knowing or anything), but its worth a shot. And I don't have any reason to believe anyone currently in the Lounge is a bodyguard.

Egos on
  • Options
    boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to propose a possibility, unrelated to the current discussion.

This is more of a probabilities thing. I note that of the 8 mafia we've killed so far, on the exterior of the house, 1 was in the foyer. 1 was in the billiards room. 1 was in the study. And 1 died before placement. Now in the center rooms, which offer the most manuverability, 3 were in the dining room. We know they were willing to stack based on that. But only 1 was found in the Lounge.
    So this is the question. What do you believe the chances are that they had more than 1 in the lounge as well.
    If you believe they would have, then may I direct your attention to Delmain, the last surviving player from the lounge. And he's also faithfully followed the bandwagons since day 3.

I was thinking about this earlier but Jobastion beat me to it. So !Delmain, until someone else has evidence to the contrary.

boogedyboo on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Delmain it is!

This has got to be the craziest party I've EVER attended.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Delmain, sayeth the mob. I'll vote you tomorrow, Gumpy.

Houn on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gonna be blowing a high level Halt card today, Dr Lucky won't be moving. If you want to kill him, hit the lounge.

Ok now this doesn't make any sense. Why would you tell your rivalling factions, and more importantly, any remaining bodyguards, where Lucky is likely to be tonight?

This reeks of some kind of trap. Now I'm sorry if your intent is to lure unsuspecting bodyguards all to one room, so that we can pick them off but remember that only one needs to be in the same room as Lucky to protect him. So now, all the bodyguards have to do is send one of them, who is least likely to get killed, to the lounge, and the game goes on another day. Now at this point I'm guessing you have a neutral win condition and are just hoping anyone will kill him, which is fine for you, but you haven't helped anyone but the bodyguards by revealing what you just did.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Delmain is in my room, in addition to Job's analysis. Rival or bodyguard? Either works for me.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyways, let's just see what a dead Delmain pulls up.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ok now this doesn't make any sense. Why would you tell your rivalling factions, and more importantly, any remaining bodyguards, where Lucky is likely to be tonight?

This reeks of some kind of trap. Now I'm sorry if your intent is to lure unsuspecting bodyguards all to one room, so that we can pick them off but remember that only one needs to be in the same room as Lucky to protect him. So now, all the bodyguards have to do is send one of them, who is least likely to get killed, to the lounge, and the game goes on another day. Now at this point I'm guessing you have a neutral win condition and are just hoping anyone will kill him, which is fine for you, but you haven't helped anyone but the bodyguards by revealing what you just did.

They keep running away from me

I want to fight them

Gumpy on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Killing me's a bad idea. I'm just a conspirator that's been hording weapons. The fact that I started in the lounge just means I've played Doctor Lucky before and wanted the extra card a single day in his room would get me. I've followed bandwagons, yes, but so have a bunch of people and it's not like that isn't what I always do when I'm a villager.

And RU, what would a dead me give you? I don't talk to anyone, I've just been sitting around doing my thing. So killing me would implicate no one.

Delmain on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And i was all ready to vote for Gumpy and everything...

I really dont think he's a bodyguard anymore, so i guess Delmain

Hippie on
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll go with Delmain for now.

Ebfan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that's my problem. I don't think I know anyone who's a bodyguard just because I think everyone I'm suspicious of is faction-y not mafia-y. Oh well, complaint for post-game I guess.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Why not start in the foyer then? If you knew where he'd start play, that's first place he'd be, and MrB hadn't indicated that there would not be a card draw phase on day one until day 2 had begun.
    Unless the real Dr Lucky game doesn't do that as well, I dunno. I once saw a few minutes of a live action play of it at Gencon, but I didn't see the start. Or much of the middle.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Yeah, that's my problem. I don't think I know anyone who's a bodyguard just because I think everyone I'm suspicious of is faction-y not mafia-y. Oh well, complaint for post-game I guess.

You could still make conjectures though. Participation is not reliant on knowledge, just suspicion, then reliance on the hive mind of the internet to parse your suspicion into useful knowledge.

Jobastion on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Probably won't do anything to stop the delmain-train, but I've been convinced that adventfalls is a bodyguard for at least 3-4 days now.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Why not start in the foyer then? If you knew where he'd start play, that's first place he'd be, and MrB hadn't indicated that there would not be a card draw phase on day one until day 2 had begun.
    Unless the real Dr Lucky game doesn't do that as well, I dunno. I once saw a few minutes of a live action play of it at Gencon, but I didn't see the start. Or much of the middle.

You could still make conjectures though. Participation is not reliant on knowledge, just suspicion, then reliance on the hive mind of the internet to parse your suspicion into useful knowledge.

The real game is indeed like that. Dr. Lucky would've moved before I had my turn in that case.

And naturally you would say I should contribute, but have I ever? Look back at how I've ever played phallas and tell me if I've been forthcoming with suspicions. Now, contemplate this; had I been, would not someone have bandwagoned me far before this because my behavior was different from my usual and therefore I was probably hiding something?

I am reminded of the infamous list of suspicious mafia behavior. It's my favorite.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am reminded of the infamous list of suspicious mafia behavior. It's my favorite.

vote out borderline inactives?

Though it doesn't help alot of mafia in this game have been playing that way :?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »

vote out borderline inactives?

Though it doesn't help alot of mafia in this game have been playing that way :?

Nah, the big one that's got like, "posting suspicions, not posting suspicions, accusing others of not posting suspicions, posting a lot, posting a little, not posting, posting just right"

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nah, the big one that's got like, "posting suspicions, not posting suspicions, accusing others of not posting suspicions, posting a lot, posting a little, not posting, posting just right"

In other words whatever you do is suspicious :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »

In other words whatever you do is suspicious :)

Yes

Delmain on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Delmain

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can go Delmain without much convincing.

I fully agree with RU though, telling the bodyguards where Lucky is going to be is probably not the best move, Gumpy. I'm not even sure there are four left and I'd rather make them guess which room's to cover. Hopefully you're bluffing.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, !Adventfalls because he's not me.

And when I die, don't bother looking at the people that started the bandwagon on me, because they are likely just motive people who think they're getting rid of someone they can't win with.

I've been suspecting ShadowThomas, Obbi, and boogedyboo in addition to advent for a while, look into them.

Delmain on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright. This is reasoning I can get behind.

Delmain for Governor. Err.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oaklore wrote: »

That I started in the Lounge? Yeah, that's some solid logic. If you're gonna sheep, just do it.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    See, that post right there Delmain, that's the type of thing that you could do every day.
    Hypothetically, lets say you were not a bodyguard. Over the prior 7 days, you could have been randomly targetted by mafia, fellow vig like players, or what have you and been instantly ejected without warning. And if you hadn't made a post, telling us what you were suspicious of, we'd never know, and it'd just be our loss.

Anyway Delmain, it's all about the odds. And I forgot to redpost on Totp, so here's mine.

Also, hilariously, I may have thrown a fire extinguisher at advent last night. It clearly was not super successful. My appologies if you turn out to be a good guy advent :)

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "That post", as described by my previous post, being Delmain's post at 2176

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm suspicious all the sudden?

Just because I haven't linked up with anyone? Look at my movement pattern. I've only been in the same room as Lucky once.

I haven't really DONE anything because I've gotten screwed by the deck. Repeatedly.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    See, that post right there Delmain, that's the type of thing that you could do every day.
    Hypothetically, lets say you were not a bodyguard. Over the prior 7 days, you could have been randomly targetted by mafia, fellow vig like players, or what have you and been instantly ejected without warning. And if you hadn't made a post, telling us what you were suspicious of, we'd never know, and it'd just be our loss.

Anyway Delmain, it's all about the odds. And I forgot to redpost on Totp, so here's mine.

Also, hilariously, I may have thrown a fire extinguisher at advent last night. It clearly was not super successful. My appologies if you turn out to be a good guy advent :)

It's all good, Job. Just.... just don't do it again, k?

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry, I won't.
    The underlying subtext being that A: I don't have another fire extinguisher to throw at you, and B: you and I no longer share rooms...
    :P

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm suspicious all the sudden?

Just because I haven't linked up with anyone? Look at my movement pattern. I've only been in the same room as Lucky once.

I haven't really DONE anything because I've gotten screwed by the deck. Repeatedly.

That's the exact same reasoning that's on me.

And job, why would I want to say something like that unless I was dying? If I'm not sure of them, then I throw them under the bus for no reason and the village winds up wasting votes on them. Especially if they're good specials who are acting suspicious for that reason.

What I'm getting at is that your idea of voicing all suspicions is silly and just a back excuse to make yourself feel good because you're pretty sure I'm not a bodyguard.

Don't lie to yourself or the thread, buddy, it's insulting.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

That I started in the Lounge? Yeah, that's some solid logic. If you're gonna sheep, just do it.

Nothing has happened in this thread for 3 days. Having something come up here is kinda nice for those unnetworked.

I can get behind that. I'm sorry it means your ejection from the party though.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Nothing has happened in this thread for 3 days. Having something come up here is kinda nice for those unnetworked.

I can get behind that. I'm sorry it means your ejection from the party though.

As I said, if you're waiting for someone to tell you who to vote for, then you're sheeping, just go ahead and admit it as such.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It tough to speak my mind because everyone else is networked. If I point out something suspicios to me, but I don't know that person is tried, true, confirmed, I will die....jumped on as a bodyguard trying to sow confusion. So yes, in a way, I have to go with the choices laid out. Happy?

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Eh, that's not totally true Oak. I'm only running in a network of 3. Me, Myself, and I. Stick your neck out. If the network is not retarded, they can let you know your idea is terrible, and you can retract it if you believe them. And if the network is terrible... long term, probably weren't going to win anyway.
    And the more discussion, the more likely a mafia will make a slip, mispeak one of their lies, and then get blasted into oblivion.

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It tough to speak my mind because everyone else is networked. If I point out something suspicios to me, but I don't know that person is tried, true, confirmed, I will die....jumped on as a bodyguard trying to sow confusion. So yes, in a way, I have to go with the choices laid out. Happy?

If youre just pointing out potential people and not trying to (hastily) shift the wagon, I don't think you would be in trouble. If you tried persistently to start a wagon on someone who is networked, there would probably be trouble then.

Egos on
This discussion has been closed.