As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well without a unifying government, or even organization, then the logistics of creating new equipment is just difficult.

Does anyone play the minis games? I recently started playing around with them with a friend of mine. Its fun to see random characters and peons of factions (( stormtroopers, droids, etc... )) actually be badass when used strategically.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

How the hell does that storyline for the Death Star mesh with the Death Star subplot of the prequel movies?

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the only thing lucas checks in the eu is character names

he overwrites everything else (he has no idea about anything that happens in the eu, he doesnt read any of it)

he also accepts that other people can write other stuff and is happy for them to do that
    its just that its not his story so he writes his story

regardless of quality, it is his creation.

i dont accept the retarded notion that just because you like something so very specially much you get to dictate to the author how it goes. just dont buy the story if you must be such an ass.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i dont accept the retarded notion that just because you like something so very specially much you get to dictate to the author how it goes. just dont buy the story if you must be such an ass.

Eh what did I do to be called an ass?

The story on that site just seemed incompatible with the movies and I posted about it.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

he overwrites everything else (he has no idea about anything that happens in the eu, he doesnt read any of it)

he also accepts that other people can write other stuff and is happy for them to do that

regardless of quality, it is his creation.

Can't really blame him for that where the Jedi Academy Trilogy is concerned though...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lucas is free to do whatever he likes, I don't follow the EU anyway and from what I have seen of it, its probably a good thing Lucas don't take it as gospel since the EU seem rather ridiculous.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The only thing I recall him saying regarding EU stuff is:

1) Don't call the Noghri "Sith" (Zahn wanted them to be the Sith... hence "Dark Lord of the Sith" for Vader).
    2) No (more) Wookiee Jedi.

GungHo on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NATIK wrote: »
    Lucas is free to do whatever he likes, I don't follow the EU anyway and from what I have seen of it, its probably a good thing Lucas don't take it as gospel since the EU seem rather ridiculous.

A lot of it is pretty stupid, but that comes from the details moreso than the plot itself. A lot of the writers have the problem of having a good idea and poor execution
    The only thing I recall him saying regarding EU stuff is:

1) Don't call the Noghri "Sith" (Zahn wanted them to be the Sith... hence "Dark Lord of the Sith" for Vader).
    2) No (more) Wookiee Jedi.

thank god for that. that would have been so stupid. the story they have now is so much better.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, the idea had holes. Why would everyone in the galaxy know you as the "Dark Lord of the Sith" when your cadre of space ninjas was supposed to be a secret?

Though, to think about it, why would ANYONE but Vader, Palpatine, and some Jedi know what the fuck a Sith was, much less think Vader was the Dark Lord of whatever a Sith is? You know, the whole thing's crazy.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it doesn't really fit with Vader in the movies. In the movies he seems to be perceived as the bad-ass right hand of the Emperor and not much else.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think Vader went around calling himself a Dark Lord of the Sith in public. Regardless, I am pretty sure the Imperial Propaganda Departments didn't call him that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    During his midlife crisis, he went in to a Corellian club rocking his cape and they tried to turn him away at the door for his fashion faux pas and he started hollaring, "Do you know who I am? I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith, muthafucka!" And then he choked a bitch. They always gave him the good table after that night.

GungHo on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "I am Darth Vader, I do not need a tray to kill you."

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "I am Darth Vader, I do not need a tray to kill you."

this one is wet. this one is wet. this one is wet. this one is wet. this one is wet. this one is wet.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He was simply Lord Vader. It was like an unofficial rank in the entirety of the Empire. He still followed protocol, generally, and answered to the Emperor. So he's more of like an enforcer who can declare taking command of a situation if he sees fit. Otherwise he'd rather let the officers handle that boring shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only person Vader answered to was the Emperor.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My hazy memory seems to recall him officially answering to the Grand Moff in episode 4.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I always got the vibe that they were respected equals

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    My hazy memory seems to recall him officially answering to the Grand Moff in episode 4.

I was hoping for someone to go there. :)

If you watch the movie there are a few times where Tarkin tells him to do something and there are times when Vader does what he pleases.

Tarkin and Vader were of equal "rank" termed loosely. Because both of them only answered to the Emperor. However, during the entirity of Episode IV we are on the DeathStar which is 100% Tarkin's baby and his command. So Vader was listening to him out of common respect. Vader's mission from the Emporer was to recover the stolen plans.

He does this and remains on the DeathStar, probably awaiting further orders from the Emperor or to Oversee the final days of the battlestation's construction. It wouldn't make sense for Vader to willy nilly waltz in and take over command of something he has had barely a hand in. He doesn't salute or call Tarkin sir, he simply says, "As you wish." In a very off-hand manner that he didn't really care one way or another. He was prooving his point by choking a bitch, and he did.

You can bet your ass if they would have been on Vader's personal flagship the things would have been reversed and Tarkin would have taken the "Subordinate" role.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    emperor.

FFFFFFFFFF

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There always has to be someone to kill a conversation by getting bent out of shape with spelling errors.

FFFFFFFFFF

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The only person Vader answered to was the Emperor.

I never implied he answered to anyone else. I was just saying that in A New Hope, he was mostly an observer. I mean, then again, he did have to answer to a Grand Moff.

Edit - Oh look at that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There always has to be someone to kill a conversation by getting bent out of shape with spelling errors.

FFFFFFFFFF

one time is ok. 5 times in one post makes my brain hurt.

Tarkin was the only Grand Moff right? I know moffs are regional governers, but is the whole thing structured in military rank?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    There were multiple Grand Moffs, but Tarkin was the only one relevant to that story.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

FFFFFFFFFF

Tarkin was the only Grand Moff right? I know moffs are regional governers, but is the whole thing structured in military rank?

He was not the only Grand Moff. Just the Grandest Moff.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

FFFFFFFFFF

The actual nature of the upper levels of the Imperial government was extraordinarily complicated, partially because the Emperor wanted those below him to be uncertain where their position truly stood.

I like that.

Scooter on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

FFFFFFFFFF

The actual nature of the upper levels of the Imperial government was extraordinarily complicated, partially because the Emperor wanted those below him to be uncertain where their position truly stood.

I like that.

Man, that sounds just like Hitler's organisational theory of the Third Reich. With which I godwin the thread

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always though of Tarking and Vader as friends. Like them having a friendship based on mutual respect and professionalism, not in a bosom buddies kinda way.

What with the Empire being made up of incompetent egomaniacs with a compulsive backstabbing disorder, having one guy you can at least turn your back on would be nice.

Plus I always thought Tarkin was one of the few people that knew Vader from back when he was Anakin and still remained with the empire. His other co-workers from those days having recived a permanent retirement. (Including Ashoka).

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone gotten into the Beta yet? Has the Beta actually started?

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When does the open beta invites start rolling out :(

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hasn't started yet (or people have just been super quiet about it). No word on when.

exis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I always though of Tarking and Vader as friends. Like them having a friendship based on mutual respect and professionalism, not in a bosom buddies kinda way.

What with the Empire being made up of incompetent egomaniacs with a compulsive backstabbing disorder, having one guy you can at least turn your back on would be nice.

Plus I always thought Tarkin was one of the few people that knew Vader from back when he was Anakin and still remained with the empire. His other co-workers from those days having recived a permanent retirement. (Including Ashoka).
    Part of my heart is warmed by the idea that he went to his little friend, said, "hey Snips!" and then stabbed her right in the face.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What the eff, I haven't looked up game details in a while but we're still at the same place regarding classes? D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the eff, I haven't looked up game details in a while but we're still at the same place regarding classes? D:

We don't even have a ballpark release date. No reason to rush out class info too quickly.

exis on
  • Options
    AshanceAshance Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Looks like Jedi Knight is close to a reveal. The "evidence" seems fairly solid, including the link image which was available for a time:

4051880260_63bbeb56b1_o.png

Ashance on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NATIK wrote: »

Eh what did I do to be called an ass?

The story on that site just seemed incompatible with the movies and I posted about it.

whoops, that was not actually addressed at you mate

i was thinking about those guys, you know the type who rage about how they own it all.

bad choice of words with that "you". but yeah i wasn't talking about you you, i meant it as a general "to whom it applies" sort of thing. while writing up the rest of that post that stereotype came to mind and i mentioned it without really thinking about how someone else might take it. sorry.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the metaphorical you

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's cool I was just a little "wtf" over it :).

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey look at that...

JEDIS!

Who would've thought you could roll one?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They should have left it til the last minute. Get people frothing at the mouth.

GungHo on
This discussion has been closed.