As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Punching Zaeed in the face, as a paragon interrupt, was so damn good.
    I must've missed this :( I didn't really play ME1 (well I finished it, but in record time) so I'm not sure what the best process is.

Should I either be a full on paragon or renegade? or a mixture? Naturally, I went for the mixture. I've imported my ME2 character and I'm starting to be a dick to everyone. Am I doing it wrong?

I would not suggest doing a mixture.
    There's late-game stuff that requires REALLY high paragon or renegade, which you can only get by sticking with one or the other throughout the game.

Actually there's plenty of P/R that you can have total of one, and some of the other quite easily.

Hm, yeah, I suppose I had continued doing paragon actions for a while after it was maxed out.

To some extent, however, I think it's better to lean one way more than the other.

Lean yes. My policy tends to be "go with what's appropriate" though, particularly in conversation options rather then just picking the "paragon" part of the wheel. Also because the renegade interrupts are frequently great.

Not if you're a krogan.
    meffect220100201161429.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lean yes. My policy tends to be "go with what's appropriate" though, particularly in conversation options rather then just picking the "paragon" part of the wheel. Also because the renegade interrupts are frequently great.

Definitely. I think it was a great decision to keep the Paragon and Renegade meters separate as opposed to the old pendulum-style system. It allows me to punt fools out of windows, guilt-free.

Ha I did that, and I felt slightly bad afterwards. It's one thing to headshot people when they're trying to shoot you, it's another to toss a weaponless dude out of the window to meet the walkway.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    ME2 ending.
    I lost absolutely no one in the finale. The choices were pretty clear. Hell, even on subsequent playthroughs I don't think I'm ever going to skip loyalty quests or upgrades that would cost me a team-mate, as they're all fantastic characters.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm rather perplexed at why shooting a robot in the head when its marching over to attack you is a "renegade" option. I mean, it makes for a cool scene, but really? Thats just what you're about to do anyway in like 4-5 seconds.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm rather perplexed at why shooting a robot in the head when its marching over to attack you is a "renegade" option. I mean, it makes for a cool scene, but really? Thats just what you're about to do anyway in like 4-5 seconds.

Snipers are evil(?)

reVerse on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Snipers are evil(?)

Dude, Archangel is a Turian Renegade.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Snipers are evil(?)

Because Renegade just means Badass sometimes. Like shooting the gas tank under the Krogan jerk.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My main "problem" with the renegade options is that they're sort uneven in terms of tone. Paragon, you're normally either straight being a nice guy or at least going for a niceguy outcome; renegade alternates between being intimidating or taking some combat-related action and just senseless violence.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Snipers are evil(?)

Dude, Archangel is a Turian Renegade.

Turian Rebel 8-)

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    My main "problem" with the renegade options is that they're sort uneven in terms of tone. Paragon, you're normally either straight being a nice guy or at least going for a niceguy outcome; renegade alternates between being intimidating or taking some combat-related action and just senseless violence.

Until you punch a guy in the face and then shove a gun in it and tell him to behave.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    well yeah, but even then you're doing it to save the poor helpless workers

renegade shepard seems to shoot people (or throw them off buildings) just because s/he doesn't like their face

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    well yeah, but even then you're doing it to save the poor helpless workers

renegade shepard seems to shoot people (or throw them off buildings) just because s/he doesn't like their face

Some times you don't have time to deal with lowlifes and thugs. I know I don't.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm with C0urtland - I got tripped up
    the tech expert to. All I thought was "infiltration, vents - he'll kill people and not get caught!".

Second time I tried I sent Legion, who kicked all sorts of ass.

So, and I'm trying not be a right prick here, but you were, ah, pretty stupid, eh?
    The game asks you to pick a TECH EXPERT, after you listen to a lengthy speech about how that person will be hacking something. Then you go to a screen which says TECH EXPERT at the top. You have a Quarian and a Geth.

Then later you have to pick a BIOTICS EXPERT, whose main job will require a lot of biotics power, of which you have, well, two. It *is* cool that Miranda talks out her ass, but if you just follow common sense, you'll be fine.

The Fire Team leaders are much less clear cut, but still pretty easy.

But I forgot, you have to get upgrades by talking to people, which involves clicking a couple of times. :P

This is gaming for the lowest common denominator. It is textbook Blockbuster Syndrome. It makes the game less good than it could have been.

Except what's weird is that, of the users who have signed up for Giant Bomb and finished the game, around thirty percent of them got the achievement for beating it with everyone alive

So if the hardcore gaming populace, who I assume are the type to sign up for a website like Giant Bomb, if less than half of them are able to beat the game that way, think about how all the more casual types are doing. The type of people who bought it because they saw an awesome commercial on during the NFC championship or something

I don't think it's gaming for the lowest common denominator if the upper crust can only do it thirty percent of the time, is what I'm saying

Also I'm saying you're a silly goose. Just cause you preface something with "not to sound like a prick" doesn't make it so, son

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And, you know, you don't "win the game" if everyone survives. You get a different ending. :?

Arguably, you get a more powerful ending if your team members die. They just give you the option not to have a "you all die" ending forced upon you, like in a certain RPG/Shooter game released a year or two ago, which was bullshit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also, you're failing to consider the fact that there are some squad members that I actually want to die.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And again, a certain member seems to have a habit of biting it even if you do everything right.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I completely missed the RT symbol that showed up, I just pulled the damn firing trigger when that bastard showed up in my sights.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't get that one either, in fact some of the interrupts feel like they should be neutral and neither paragon/renegade. That one for shooting the robot in the head is a perfect example.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finished, everyone survived. That was one awesome game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And, you know, you don't "win the game" if everyone survives. You get a different ending. :?

Arguably, you get a more powerful ending if your team members die. They just give you the option not to have a "you all die" ending forced upon you, like in a certain RPG/Shooter game released a year or two ago, which was bullshit.

When I first beat the game and only lost one person, I was actually rather disappointed. I was going into it with expectations that the ending would be rather powerful and I'd be losing some good friends that I'd grown attached to over the past twenty-five hours.

Then I lost one person that I never really talked to after their loyalty mission, and it was the one that you get as soon as you get that character, and it was because I made a dumb choice.

I was left feeling like I hadn't really accomplished anything special and like this mission wasn't all that dangerous after all. I understand that there are a lot of people that somehow think that it's difficult to get everyone out alive (it's not), but I think it should have been harder. A lot harder.

I'm still disappointed about the ending.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

When I first beat the game and only lost one person, I was actually rather disappointed. I was going into it with expectations that the ending would be rather powerful and I'd be losing some good friends that I'd grown attached to over the past twenty-five hours.

Then I lost one person that I never really talked to after their loyalty mission, and it was the one that you get as soon as you get that character, and it was because I made a dumb choice.

I was left feeling like I hadn't really accomplished anything special and like this mission wasn't all that dangerous after all. I understand that there are a lot of people that somehow think that it's difficult to get everyone out alive (it's not), but I think it should have been harder. A lot harder.

I'm still disappointed about the ending.

I felt fairly bad about losing
    Tali
    , especially after fucking up her loyalty mission royally.

And Zaeed, too, since I liked the guy.

I kept Garrus and Miranda in my personal party at all times to ensure that they wouldn't die unless my main character did. I was fairly suprised that everyone else made it out ok. I think it could have gone with making a bit tougher, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually I agree with Pancake on that. It really is very easy to get everyone through if you make smart decisions. There should have been a couple more 50/50 decisions in there. Stretch out those party resources and make people count. As it is getting people through depends on

A) Loyalty missions

B) Time spent mining and researching all the ship upgrades

Rather than your tactical decisions overall (which are far too obvious).

It's still really good and far and away superior to the choices presented in ME.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pancake, did you prefer the:

Save Kaiden <-O-> Save Ashley

Choice in ME1? I kinda liked that in ME2 you weren't literally selecting a dialogue option to choose who dies.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's still really good and far and away superior to the choices presented in ME.

Well, obviously. Did anyone actually feel bad about Kaiden or Ashley dying?

I know that in one game where I lost Wrex, I wished there was an option to similarly execute Ashley, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Choice in ME1? I kinda liked that in ME2 you weren't literally selecting a dialogue option to choose who dies.

Actually, one point does offer that.
    Samara and Morinth. Granted, one is a party member and one is a potential party member, but they did the dialog choice to kill someone in this game too.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, obviously. Did anyone actually feel bad about Kaiden or Ashley dying?

It had zero impact on me because it was forced on me. ME2 improves on this and in fact, Bioware as a whole has improved on this majorly as even Dragon Age shows an incredible degree of common sense in handling such things.
    -Loki- wrote: »

Samara and Morinth. Granted, one is a party member and one is a potential party member, but they did the dialog choice to kill someone in this game too.

That's a good example of where they got it absolutely wrong. It comes completely out of nowhere and I can't for the life of me understand why I would ever chose a certain option there. I just can't justify it because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Of course I prefer ME2's ending over the binary choice in ME1, but that doesn't mean, well, anything. It was still too easy and it was still disappointing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the binary choice of whether to save the council or let it die, followed by the appropriate cutscene, was amazing. I didn't see that choice coming.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the binary choice of whether to save the council or let it die, followed by the appropriate cutscene, was amazing. I didn't see that choice coming.

That's actually not a bad thing though, because such a decision was well done and appropriate. It's the very artificial nature of the save Kaiden vs. save Ashley choice that is the matter. Binary choices aren't inherently bad, it's the way they are presented and handled.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This has to be the most uniquely paced game Ive ever played. Structurally its just so different and interesting, it really suits the way video games are played, instead of just aping feature film pacing and getting that weird strecthed too thin feeling.

Ive loved every single loyalty mission, this game is just brilliant, havent even finished it yet either.

I really want everyone to survive this play through, what do I have to do for this?

Also for the insanity run, is it better to restart at level 1 with a new character or go for a + game?

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That's actually not a bad thing though, because such a decision was well done and appropriate. It's the very artificial nature of the save Kaiden vs. save Ashley choice that is the matter. Binary choices aren't inherently bad, it's the way they are presented and handled.

Well, also the fact that they were boring characters and it wouldn't have mattered if there was a "why don't you both go make sure the bomb detonates".

But yeah, that choice was weak, though the cutscene of them holding off the geth was pretty good.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That's a good example of where they got it absolutely wrong. It comes completely out of nowhere and I can't for the life of me understand why I would ever chose a certain option there. I just can't justify it because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    Samara's the irritating zealot type, Morinth is the passionate criminal, that's a really obvious renegade/paragon decision there

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of ME 1, anyone tried booting it up since 2 came out?

Oh jesus, the graphics? The clothing Textures. Eye poison! D:
    Also, the fact that the game doesn't pick up till Virmire....10-12 hours in. I noticed that the very first time I played, but after 2, which has fun fights right from the start? Even worse.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Also, the fact that the game doesn't pick up till Virmire....10-12 hours in.

I bought it again for 20 bucks, beat it in four and a half hours, texture popping is pretty nasty, and the heads up display isn't very neat. Textures themselves are fine though, once they load.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Samara's the irritating zealot type, Morinth is the passionate criminal, that's a really obvious renegade/paragon decision there
    One of these is a rampant murderer who can control minds and is a potential liability. The other is a known quantity who has sworn an oath to serve me and that I can keep control of as a result (despite what their beliefs are).

If you're thinking renegade = complete idiot, then sure I might see that point. But not even a renegade Shephard IMO has much motivation to backstab a known companion that has an oath of loyalty to you for a future suicide mission - over an unknown quantity you've met for 5 minutes.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That really would've been a cooler decision if
    Over the course of the game afterwards a couple of crew members disappeared. Just to highlight how wrong you were.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Also, the fact that the game doesn't pick up till Virmire....10-12 hours in.

I bought it again for 20 bucks, beat it in four and a half hours, texture popping is pretty nasty, and the heads up display isn't very neat. Textures themselves are fine though, once they load.

Only thing I miss are the Mako missions on Therum, Virmire, and Ilos, which give you a really good look at the beautiful environments.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So you get all the ship upgrades and do all the loyalty missions to get everyone to survive? What if you resolved stuff via paragon pretty much with every character?

Prohass on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Also, the fact that the game doesn't pick up till Virmire....10-12 hours in. I noticed that the very first time I played, but after 2, which has fun fights right from the start? Even worse.

I hear ya man... I can't stand playing Mass Effect 1 now.. good thing I have 2 saves that I like for each alignment path.

I would say going back to ME1 after playing ME2 is like playing Grand Theft Auto 3 after Grand Theft Auto 4.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've finished ME1 three times, two of those times after I got ME2. Doing a fourth run now for level 60 and canon and all that.

reVerse on