Options

NHL Playoffs - good matchups this year.

Al SimmonsAl Simmons Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Figured I'd take a min to make an NHL playoff thread while waiting for Dallas and Vancouver to start their 3rd overtime period. O_o

Who's gonna' go all the way?

The West is just wild this year and I really think every team 1-8 has a shot at the finals, imo.

Haven't payed much attention to the East but I never count NJ out as long as they have Brodeur in net.

Al Simmons on

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A lot of people are really rooting for Ottawa this year.

I know, I know, they're chokers, but their slow start in the regular season is having people saying that they might have finally gotten their priorities in order, started experimenting with their strategies and will have something surprising to bring to the post season this time. I know my friends and I will be watching intently.
    go Sens go!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Right now Vancouver and Dallas are about to go into quadruple overtime.
    Canucks had the edge in the 3rd OT I believe, but both Luo and Turco are amazing. It's 60 something shots on Luongo and 40 something on Turco.

Ranx on
  • Options
    SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Halfway through the 4th overtime now. Im playing Super Paper Mario between OT periods.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fuck Direct TV.

That's all I'm going to say at this time.

Other than- So, Ducks, you basically stole that final goal. Cool, whatever. The refs were morons. Cudos to you.

Be prepared to be ruined for four games straight.
    Also, Cinderalla and all the dwarves hate you. Hell, Simba hates you. Enjoy.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, Penguins lost, but I'm going to root for 'em all the same. It feels wonderful for my hometown to have a competent team again :D

Are the playoffs generally broadcast nationally? This is my first playoff on the west coast, and I'm sorry to say I haven't been paying attention.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    *makes hissing noises at Jragghen*

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hiss all you want. The Penguins are staying in Pittsburgh, so I'll be happy no matter the outcome :D

That being said, I wouldn't mind a repeat of '91 or '92.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Are the playoffs generally broadcast nationally? This is my first playoff on the west coast, and I'm sorry to say I haven't been paying attention.

Yes, unless you spent a ton of cash on the NHL version of Sunday Ticket and then you get screwed out of the first Wild game in the playoffs in which case the customer service for Direct TV says that TNT and TBS (two stations that have pretty much never broadcasted an NHL game and have no intention of ever doing so) are showing the game so they can't broadcast the game to you, sorry.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go Sabres!

I'm going to the game tonight, and Saturday as well!!!!!!!

Yall on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sabres hit the ice tonight, and I'm pumped. Sure, it's true that no top seeded team has gone much anywhere since Detroit in 2002, but we're incredibly deep this year. I'm hoping we are not guilty of over confidence, which cropped up in the inning stretch of the regular season, but if we play smart, we should have a fairly easy time with Nolan and the Islanders. The key will be seeing if we can keep healthy in these early goings, so as not to have a repeat of last year (the Hurricanes might as well have been playing the Rochester Americans). Anyway, 7pm tonight, I'm gonna be glued to the set rooting my team on. One team, one goal.

etoychest on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the Canucks won in the dying minutes of Fourth OT. Apparently, it was the sixth longest playoff game in history.

This is going to be a great series. I bet all those people back east that were saying it was going to be a boring series are eating crow now.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yes, unless you spent a ton of cash on the NHL version of Sunday Ticket and then you get screwed out of the first Wild game in the playoffs in which case the customer service for Direct TV says that TNT and TBS (two stations that have pretty much never broadcasted an NHL game and have no intention of ever doing so) are showing the game so they can't broadcast the game to you, sorry.

I'm in chicago with comcast, I can't even figure out where to watch the damn games. I really need to get back into watching hockey, and Buffalo interests me a ton, so I'd like to watch them play. What channel should I be tuning into for these games?

also fuck bill wirtz

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey Elkamil -- my team is gonna kick your team's ass.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    HAHAHAHA all you poor Americans and your crappy NHL coverage.

We have CBC, Rogers Sorts net, PPV and TSN so we pretty much get every game. I would suggest seeing if you have some way of getting the Canadian feeds of these channels.

Last nights Canucks game was Awesome. I am so hopeing that Vancouver goes far. Just as long as we don't get robbed of the cup in game 7 like many years ago!

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUongo

That is all.

Azio on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA all you poor Americans and your crappy NHL coverage.

We have CBC, Rogers Sorts net, PPV and TSN so we pretty much get every game. I would suggest seeing if you have some way of getting the Canadian feeds of these channels.

You can go to hell.

I just wish DirecTV had more flexibility with its packages. All I need is Fox Sports Detroit and I'm satisfied.

Also, if the Red Wings lose to Calgary again this year I will be pissed.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUongo

That is all.

saggio on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Hey Elkamil -- my team is gonna kick your team's ass.

I thought you said you didn't smoke weed.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Detroit Red Wings FTMFW. If they lose to Calgary I will consider throwing away my wings stuff.

Well okay, no I won't. But I WILL make some disparaging comments to friends, immediately!

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is a great tiem of year. I live ina huge Canuck town with one friend who is a die Hard Flamer. I will have to laugh at him if Calgary goes out in the first round, especially to Detriot.

Yes Luongo is great and he held up well in the game that would not end last night but we have some other great guys. I mean Swedish twins FTW! (That is my favorite comercial) Pretty much our first 3 lins are all equal and they have done excepotional this year especially coming back fromt eh last few years. I hold no real hopes of a Vancouver Stanley cup win, but we will make it to at elast second round.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hurrah, I remember what team I support, and they made it to the playoffs.

GO NASHVILLE!
    A-Rad is going to kick some ass. I hope. Or we're screwed.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn, the Thrashers are hitting really hard right now

and I really like this Callahan kid on the Rangers

great hustle

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    This is a great tiem of year. I live ina huge Canuck town with one friend who is a die Hard Flamer. I will have to laugh at him if Calgary goes out in the first round, especially to Detriot.

Yes Luongo is great and he held up well in the game that would not end last night but we have some other great guys. I mean Swedish twins FTW! (That is my favorite comercial) Pretty much our first 3 lins are all equal and they have done excepotional this year especially coming back fromt eh last few years. I hold no real hopes of a Vancouver Stanley cup win, but we will make it to at elast second round.
    <3 Trev and the Sedins. Naslund seems to have mostly gotten over being a goddamn pussy, too. That's always good.

Azio on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My Canadiens didnt made it but looking back rationally on their season, they didnt deserved to be they're. They choked big time when it mattered the most... god i was so pissed

I'll be rooting for Buffalo in those playoff, I love their team. Also Daniel Brière is from my town. Go Sabres go!

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yessss

2-1 Rangers coming out of the First

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well Detroit seems to have started this playoff season better, up 4-0 halfway through the second.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go Canucks!

Although it was nice to see them win last night, I can't help but remember our Game 1 5-3 win over Calgary last time. And we all know how that series ended up.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Awesome game between Dallas and Vancouver, but if the Canucks look at that game as anything other than "we got our asses kicked but still managed to win and need to play better next game" then I think Dallas could come back to surprise them. Dallas kinda faded late in overtime, but they were all over them really bad from halfway through 3rd period up until OT4.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Rangers better not blow this game by being passive in this third period. You have a chance to take game 1 on the road, you go for the damn jugular.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Islanders really have their hands full tonight. Sabres power play is still sketchy, but Drury is clutch and his PP goal in the 2nd was hot. Soups is playing great too.

Looking to the other series, I'm feeling sorry for Calgary. Hasek is a tool though, so someone needs to take them out.

etoychest on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    etoychest wrote: »
    Islanders really have their hands full tonight. Sabres power play is still sketchy, but Drury is clutch and his PP goal in the 2nd was hot. Soups is playing great too.

Looking to the other series, I'm feeling sorry for Calgary. Hasek is a tool though, so someone needs to take them out.

Did we see the same game? :P

2 of the four goals were on the PP and a third came as a guy was coming out of the box.

It's was a fun game though. Interestingly, I think the Sabres took the Islanders more seriously than the fans. The arena was surprisingly quiet for a playoff game. Maybe it was because I was sitting in a relatively tame section as opposed to my usual nosebleed seats.

Nonetheless, I'm thinking we win in four. I'm hoping we get matched up against the Rangers after this. I would really like to avoid Ottawa and NJ at all costs and cruise into the finals.

I don't know if my liver can stand another deep run this year though. I'm sitting at work right now wearing my Miller jersey and I stink of Labatt Blue and stripper perfume, and have one heck of a headache. I know its gonna be even worse Sunday morning.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hehe, I think I wrote that before the 2nd PP, so yea, it worked better than I gave it credit. Still, I won't be surprised if it goes in streaks in the playoff run, assume we go deep. If they play the way they did last night we should. More than the PP though, I thought our PK was incredible. I think we controlled the puck more a man down than they did.

I'm still in an older Peca jersey. I need to upgrade.

I'd like to think we win in 4. God knows, the Isles gave the Sabres too much respect last night, and if they continue, it's gonnabe a short series. Which is good...more time to rest.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The twins didn't look so hot tonight. Dallas consistantly rolling 4 lines last game definitely gave them fresher legs for game 2. Maybe Turco can finally get over his playoff "thing." If so, it's going to be tough for Vancouver to get a win in Dallas.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There were two reasons why the Canucks choked last night. The first was how fucking tired Luongo must have been - he was sloppy and wasn't on his game. Which is only fair, considering he had something like 73 shots on him during that marathon last game. The second was having only three lines, with Kesler, Burrows, and Cooke out. There was absolutely no question that the Stars had an advantage going into this game...But I am confident that Vigneault will make sure Luongo and everyone is rested up before Sunday.

saggio on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who's all playing?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    There were two reasons why the Canucks choked last night. The first was how fucking tired Luongo must have been - he was sloppy and wasn't on his game. Which is only fair, considering he had something like 73 shots on him during that marathon last game. The second was having only three lines, with Kesler, Burrows, and Cooke out. There was absolutely no question that the Stars had an advantage going into this game...But I am confident that Vigneault will make sure Luongo and everyone is rested up before Sunday.

Maybe Luongo was tired, but I don't think he had much of a chance on either goal against in that game. More like defensive breakdowns than lazy netminding. Gotta give credit to Halpern for an awesome midair deflection on goal 1 and to Modano for a sweet pass to set up goal 2 as well. Two goals isn't exactly dominating the scoreboard, but you gotta think that it is all a team like Dallas or Vancouver might need to win nightly. I think the timing of the goals really took the crowd out of the game as well, barely let them sit down, and BAM, you're losing.

I think both goalies are going to be solid the rest of the way, and it may be one defensive mistake that decides the series.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    True enough, Turco was really on his game tonight, especially in the last five or so minutes of the second period, when the Sedins and Naslund started putting on the pressure.

Here's hoping they'll rebound in Dallas...

saggio on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay, even as a Penguins fan, the love affair the sportscasters have with Crosby is getting annoying.

Holy crap the end of that game was intense.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow.. Pittsburgh @ Ottawa was such an nice game

games like that are why I love hockey.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg