Options

NHL Playoffs - good matchups this year.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Detroit played better pretty much the whole series. It was inevitable. The Cinderella run before the lockout was a result of the Flames wearing down more experienced teams. They won puck battles in the corners and played a really physical game. They're not doing that anymore and they can't keep up with Detroit's superior passing skills.

I just don't get it. The Flames have been making the same mistakes for YEARS. You'd think somebody would want to fix it. It's totally unfair to Kipprusoff to have him be the biggest reason they make it as far as they do.

Interestingly enough, the Flames are capable of much more. You saw it in the first period in last night's game. But they just didn't keep it up. The two goals Detroit had were because the Flames just let them waltz in. They need to challenge the man, not the puck.

Every time a Flame would move in, the Detroit player would put his body between the puck and the incoming Flame. Then a puck battle would ensue with Detroit having the advantage of position. Calgary needs to just forget the puck for a second and TAKE THE MAN. Drive him into the boards, flatten him, whatever, but take the man. And Phaneuf is so much better than what he's been showing. He's a big guy with an awesome shot, but he didn't check nearly as often as he used to and he kept missing passes and fanning on shots.

Ah well. Next year is another season. But with Calgary out and Montreal not even making the playoffs I have no one to cheer for. :( (Sorry Vancouver, I'd love to, but I just can't :P)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Detroit played better pretty much the whole series. It was inevitable. The Cinderella run before the lockout was a result of the Flames wearing down more experienced teams. They won puck battles in the corners and played a really physical game. They're not doing that anymore and they can't keep up with Detroit's superior passing skills.

I just don't get it. The Flames have been making the same mistakes for YEARS. You'd think somebody would want to fix it. It's totally unfair to Kipprusoff to have him be the biggest reason they make it as far as they do.

Interestingly enough, the Flames are capable of much more. You saw it in the first period in last night's game. But they just didn't keep it up. The two goals Detroit had were because the Flames just let them waltz in. They need to challenge the man, not the puck.

Every time a Flame would move in, the Detroit player would put his body between the puck and the incoming Flame. Then a puck battle would ensue with Detroit having the advantage of position. Calgary needs to just forget the puck for a second and TAKE THE MAN. Drive him into the boards, flatten him, whatever, but take the man. And Phaneuf is so much better than what he's been showing. He's a big guy with an awesome shot, but he didn't check nearly as often as he used to and he kept missing passes and fanning on shots.

Ah well. Next year is another season. But with Calgary out and Montreal not even making the playoffs I have no one to cheer for. :( (Sorry Vancouver, I'd love to, but I just can't :P)

It seemed to me that Calgary was doing an AWFUL lot of chasing. At least, when they didnt have the crowd behind them, which was often. Most of the game was a line vs line chess match, but Detroit seemed to throw the puck at the net like it was the button that gave a pellet, while Calgary chased it around and looked unsure of what to do with it when they had it except dump and hope for plays on the boards.

I dunno, I could be wrong. That's what it looked like to me.

The first goal against Kipp was soft, the second was lucky as hell. Problem is, that doesn't excuse their defense from allowing such a massive amout of saves that their goalie had to make. Eventually, it's statistically more likely that one will get ricocheted a dozen times before it gets to the net than not. Still, that guy is crazy freaking good. I'd trade him for Hasek in a second.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If the Canucks win tonight I'm gonna splurge on an HD/PVR box so I can see round two in all its glory. I can't really afford it since my cable company makes you buy them outright for hundreds and hundreds of dollars (!!!), but maybe it'll give the Canucks some incentive :P...anything I can do!

Oh and man, Kiprusoff is absolutely awesome. There were two saves that stick out in my mind, one awesome glove catch and the one where he stopped it, lost sight of it and it fell onto the crease with a couple Red Wings right there, and he managed to smother it in time. He's so chill too, like I never see him smile or get mad - always focused.

And how about that Detroit slapshot that nailed the left goal post, think it was in the third peroid? Awesome game!!!!!!

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Oh and man, Kiprusoff is absolutely awesome. There were two saves that stick out in my mind, one awesome glove catch and the one where he stopped it, lost sight of it and it fell onto the crease with a couple Red Wings right there, and he managed to smother it in time. He's so chill too, like I never see him smile or get mad - always focused.

I've seen him make saves that leave my jaw on the ground. Right beside the jaw of the player who just got robbed. And yeah, he's like ice all the time. Totally unflappable. And until Sutter traded for him, San Jose had him languishing in a backup role. You just never know what you've got sitting in your wings, I guess.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Al SimmonsAl Simmons Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, but for every example of a back-up goalie like Kipprusoff you probably have 10 Roman Tureks.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Needs more Dave Mishkin

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, KIPRUSOFF

That's still all I can think of when I hear his name.

whuppins on
  • Options
    Big_Boss_85Big_Boss_85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The playoffs are getting so hype!!! Can't waaaait for tonight's game.

I think it's time for the horseshoe to fall out of Turco's ass! I don't want to see his stupid tie again!

Also, the Sedin twins need to start PRODUCING!
    Anyways, the Canucks better win tonight or things in my home will be broken.

Has anyone here played NHL 07 by the way?

Big_Boss_85 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is it just me, or are the Canucks wearing their old old jersies tonight? They are much of an improvement over the orca.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There's magic in the air boys.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Linden is made of pure awesome! Dallas is taking a shit load of penalties here.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Christ, everyone's taking a shit load of penalties tonight. It's like the refs are bored or something.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Paid by the hand-gesture.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Luongo's net's crossbar for 1st star tonight!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    /breakdances

Ant000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Corvus on
  • Options
    KolchakKolchak Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Wooooooooo

Kolchak on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited April 2007
    Congratulations on having the referee's screw the game up.

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know when hockey players talk about "giving 110 percent"? That is what 110 percent looks like.
    Xorexnar wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU

Azio on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh bullshit baron, canucks by far outplayed dallas in the last two periods.

Ranx on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Grats to Vancouver. Good luck vs. Anaheim.

Sometimes it's hard to beat the other team and the refs at the same time. :|

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    but remember, Canucks got a bad penalty too when whats-his-face tripped over turco.

Ranx on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You're my boy Linden! You're my boy!

I have this theory: Everytime I watch a Canuck game they lose. So what do I do? I stop watching after Dallas scores in the first period! Think of the willpower required for that? Friggin huge!

My buddy is txt messaging me updates from the game and I still refuse to watch!

I take a nap.

I wake up and victory is ours!

But we face the Ducks next so we are pretty much fucked. But a Canuck fan has to take what he can get and round two is pretty figgin' sweet if you ask me.

I say give Linden 1mil next year and just have him skate around waving to the fans, he could do dick all and I wouldn't feel bad at all for keeping him. WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*Ends his annoying post by leading a mass like service for fellow Canuck fans while wearing his offical Smyl Jersey.*

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You're my boy Linden! You're my boy!

I have this theory: Everytime I watch a Canuck game they lose. So what do I do? I stop watching after Dallas scores in the first period! Think of the willpower required for that? Friggin huge!

My buddy is txt messaging me updates from the game and I still refuse to watch!

I take a nap.

I wake up and victory is ours!

But we face the Ducks next so we are pretty much fucked. But a Canuck fan has to take what he can get and round two is pretty figgin' sweet if you ask me.

I say give Linden 1mil next year and just have him skate around waving to the fans, he could do dick all and I wouldn't feel bad at all for keeping him. WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*Ends his annoying post by leading a mass like service for fellow Canuck fans while wearing his offical Smyl Jersey.*

You are all that is fan.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well this is good, hopefully at least one of the canadian teams can sneak past the second round.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Emery vs. Brodeur - can't wait for this series. I believe the winner of this one will take the Cup.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If the Sabres wake up and don't try to sleepwalk by this round, this Rangers match should be a good series.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It goes down tonight. Here's hoping Briere and company don't let Avery under their skin.

etoychest on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Avery is already under my skin.

I wish they would dress Peters or recall Kaleta to go out there and mop the floor with him.

Yall on
  • Options
    KolchakKolchak Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Are the Dallas fans really serious about this "the referees decided the game" bullshit?

Modano dove in the opening penalty against the Canucks, while Linden did get called for one later. Brendan Morrison took a high stick in our opening penalty that went uncalled. Cowan got a phantom tripping call on Eric Lindros. This isn't bad refereeing, it's just part of the game. You know what happens when you settle into playing a defensive game and stop moving your legs with a 1 goal lead? You start taking a lot of penalties! Especially when the other team is outworking you all over the ice. Penalties my eye, Dallas got outworked by the Canucks, who wanted it more. Simple as that.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As much as I've disliked the Canucks when the played the Wild this season, I am a full fledged supporter of the Canucks just taking it to the Ducks. God I want to see the Ducks go down so bad.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well..that was a hell of a 2nd period. About time too, since our powerplay fizzled out. Now let's see if the Sabres can put together another 20 minutes.

etoychest on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYES!

Excellent 2nd, brutal 3rd. That Pomminville goal - good call.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes, you could not really tell if he directed it or was bracing himself, but I agree that it was a good call. Good game.

etoychest on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    shit...is it bad that i really don't see vancouver getting past this round?

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fucking hell Canucks. I barely care... but still.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, it saddens me to see the Canucks haven't learned to count between series. But the ducks seem tons more effective on the powerplay and might be that Vancouver got complacent playing Dallas (who were just as defensive as Vancouver) and now are seeing the differences in playing styles that the Ducks bring.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Big_Boss_85Big_Boss_85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I HATE Chris Pronger! HATE! and it pisses me off to no end to see the Ducks in complete control of the game tonight! What he did in Edmonton was the biggest croc ever.

My hope was that Vancouver would win this series in 4 somehow and Pronger would have a +/- rating of -20. Man that guy pisses me off. Teemu Selanne is a big douche too. The Canucks are the truth! They need to pick it up.

Big_Boss_85 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kolchak wrote: »
    Are the Dallas fans really serious about this "the referees decided the game" bullshit?

Modano dove in the opening penalty against the Canucks, while Linden did get called for one later. Brendan Morrison took a high stick in our opening penalty that went uncalled. Cowan got a phantom tripping call on Eric Lindros. This isn't bad refereeing, it's just part of the game. You know what happens when you settle into playing a defensive game and stop moving your legs with a 1 goal lead? You start taking a lot of penalties! Especially when the other team is outworking you all over the ice. Penalties my eye, Dallas got outworked by the Canucks, who wanted it more. Simple as that.

I disagree, lopsided penalty calling for sure in that game, but whatever, it's hockey and sometimes that shit happens. We'll see how the Canucks can do vs. a team that can actually score. Dallas didn't have too much hope of beating Detroit so it isn't like it's a big deal to go down first round for them in my eyes, but the Canucks were handed game 7 imo.

Al Simmons on