As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where you live sucks, too.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    uean wrote: »
    Lucid wrote: »
    I like how people who are complaining about their Canadian cities always end off their airing of grievances with 'at least we're not Winnipeg.'
    It's ignorance really. Based on a lot of myth as well. The winters are bad but probably not statistically worse than a lot of parts along the same lines in Canada. Calgary had winter again just recently. It's Canada, it's like that.

It's the whole underdog myth too I think.

I don't think it has much to do with the winters in Winnipeg, but just that Winnipeg is poorer than must other cities. Same reason why Regina gets slammed.

You don't have to justify the Winnipeg comparisons with anything. That's like trying to justify why sh!t is bad.

It just is. Winnipeg is Winnipeg by definition.

Barren, nothing to do, ugly as hell, brutal winters, car sized mosquitoes and blazing heat in the summer. Worst place in Canada? Probably.
    I can`t consider ugly an actual observation. Winnipeg has some of the best greenspace in Canada. There`s two rivers flowing through it. I work with people from many different parts of the world, and one of the most common comments is that there`s such beautiful scenery within the city.

Nothing to do, I guess if you`re an uncultured moron, yeah. There`s a great and large arts and entertainment community and culture in Winnipeg that rival many larger cities in Canada.

The mosquitoes aren`t any bigger than any other mosquito. I don`t know where that comes from.

Brutal winters, maybe if you`re a pussy :p Again though, it`s no better or worse than a lot of Canada.

Like I said though. Pure ignorance really, that above post is a nice example.

It`s not an amazing city but there really aren`t many amazing cities. I may be moving myself after school to venture into better career opportunities. That`s one of the actual weaknesses of Winnipeg. Though many cities are like this as well.

Winnipeg isn`t that poor really either. I mean it has plenty of wealthy citizens. Global network started out in Winnipeg. There`s plenty of new developments happening, just that in my opinion they are usually not what`s needed for long term achievement.

Far from poor though. I can`t even consider Regina in the same league as Winnipeg really.

Well, I'm from (and in) Winnipeg too and while it is not bad to look at, the biggest problem is that it is really still stuck in a rut that started back in the 70's. Not much changes here. It's not too noticeable if you've grown up here and assume that it's that way every where, but Winnipeg is just...Winnipeg, and stays that way.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty stagnant. It has a lot of potential though, which is why I think people can think strongly about it and why seeing that stagnation can be kind of disheartening.

I think too that a lot of the stagnation is more infrastructure based. The culture and diversity in Winnipeg has definitely been advancing and changing since the 70s, but the people who run the city are often conservative and therefore scared of change.

Lucid on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Calgary AB is alright. It's led by some awful people, and there's a growing base of radical extremists (the 'Wild Rose' party), but there's lots of good people here, a thriving underground punk movement, and... damn. The girls, dude.

The GIRLS.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah. Girls.

Scarborough doesn't have good looking ones..

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love living near Minneapolis. It's great.

There is, however, one thing that makes living here suck.

Michele Bachmann. I live in the district that is responsible for repeatedly electing her. I can't defend it.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arth wrote: »
    I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's going to be difficult but I'll try to pick only one sucky thing about this hellhole.

I guess I'll go with the public transportation, where they tore down the bus terminal for one side of the city without a plan A) Where to temporarily have the buses meet up, or B) Where to build the permanent replacement shelter.

Their plan was to have the buses stop nearby at City Hall, which is fine. That would be the temporary temporary terminal. Then they would move the temporary shelter to the permanent temporary shelter. Which is a 2 block length of street with no street lights, no traffic lights nearby for crossing, in the most violent, crime-ridden part of town. Outside of a meth clinic.

They've since reconsidered and are going to keep the buses at City Hall all year round until they decide on and build a new permanent terminal. They should decide by next spring, and have it built god knows when. It routinely hits -35 Celsius in winter. The temporary bus terminal is a large concrete sitting area outside City Hall, with two bus shelters for passengers. And by bus shelters, I mean 3-sided glass enclosures with gaps between the glass panels, the panels and the ground, and the panels and the ceiling. Each big enough to hold 6 people, or 4 people with baggage. At a bus terminal that at last count saw something over 1000 passengers a day.

I'd be more pissed off at this incompetent clusterfuck except I work 3 blocks away, so I won't be freezing to death in the winter.

Ah, someone else who knows the misery of Thunder Bay.

I'll go so far as to say that you can't use 'at least it's not Winnipeg' when talking about Thunder Bay.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    I love living near Minneapolis. It's great.

There is, however, one thing that makes living here suck.

Michele Bachmann. I live in the district that is responsible for repeatedly electing her. I can't defend it.

Is... is there something noticeably off about the people in your town? Like, can you tell on the outside that they are crazy? Or do they hide it?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in the fabled Central Jersey.

Everyone thinks it's North and South, but nestled between the two is a land of love. I'm 25 minutes from the PA border. Hour and 15 minute drive to Philly. Hour train ride to NY Penn Station. Hour drive to the shore. Nothing but forests, strip malls, some lakes and reservoirs, shopping centers, banks, highways, banks, Wawas, banks, gas stations, and banks. It can get really damn pretty around here. Very scenic.

The closest town to me has three traffic circles within 600 feet of each other. They work fantastically, except for when you've got specific kinds of people driving on them. Usually it's PA drivers. It's brutal out there, but I still maintain that Jersey breeds the best drivers in the country.

I'll be moving to New Brunswick in a couple of months, 40-some minutes down 287.

Jersey is the best goddamn place in the world. I will fight you.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kansas

We have Fred Phelps.

Also, when it gets hot here, the humidity really sucks.

Oh yeah, Fred Phelps is here. In Kansas.

Noxy on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Williams -> Murphy -> alternatively, Grants Pass
    Oregon

Each being collectively less rural, though even on my own I can't seem to get up and move from this town. This wretched hive of old people. A retirement community, on the whole, where people come to bitch and die.

It took us almost a decade for the city to build a small skate park. Because it was fought every which way because the old people were afraid of the ensuing gang violence. Yes, 13 year olds on skateboards will bring automatic weapons into parks, if we let them. God forbid.

The only new taxes passed, on an otherwise very little-taxed county, are by years and years of well political begging really. And then all these extra stipulations are pinned on so it doesn't do much good anyways. And then everybody bitches about there not being any money to spend on anything! Well I guess that is common a hell lotta other places too though.

Really, it's all about the mass of old people. Old, decrepit, entitled asshole people. Bleh. Don't move here. Ever.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    JimblinJimblin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LOL Lawndart you don't know Canadians

Jimblin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Camping on the long weekend
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    California.

Jobs are impossible to find and the cheapest possible rent for a tiny hole in the wall in a house you share with 4-6 people is like $450 a month. From May till October, the tourists show up and all the roads are perpetually clogged with traffic.

Gets hot as fuck, too.

Up the shut fuck. I'm splitting $385 a week down the middle, no aircon, and I'll take your heat and raise you a bazillion percent humidity.

We can tie on traffic.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Come to glorious Nottingham!

Our rampant gun and knife crime is no longer as terrifying as it was a few years ago! Our police force is only the second worst in the country! Mix with hen and stag dos from all over the country as they try and punch out phone boxes!

But seriously Nottingham is pretty cool. Decent shops, tons of places to eat and drink, the best comic shop in the country, the best indie cinema in the country, great cricket ground, fab new contemporary art gallery and a spiffy statue of our patron saint, St Brian of Clough.

And as local myths go Robin Hood is awesome.

Bogart on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    I'm splitting $385 a week down the middle
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

When I lived in Ballarat for Uni our rent was $200/week for 4. Even my friends who moved to Melbourne only had ~$300/week for 4. I can't imagine spending that much.

Please tell me you're talking $AU too.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    the best indie cinema in the country

This, sir, is bullshit and lies. Bristol is home to The Cube, which is a cinema so indie that no two mugs are the same and it's staffed entirely by volunteers. The Watershed, which you have been to, has multiple screens and actually catches everything worth watching that gets released, but you can't drink tea during the films (just beer).

Also, The Cube makes its own coke.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    the best indie cinema in the country

This, sir, is completely true. Bristol is home to The Cube, which is a cinema so indie that no two mugs are the same and it's staffed entirely by volunteers. The Watershed, which you have been to, has multiple screens and actually catches everything worth watching that gets released, but you can't drink tea during the films (just beer).

Piffle! Broadway has four mighty screens, a fine bar and restaurant, serves beer while you watch films. Broadway has art installations just lying about the place. The Cube serves nothing but mushed up Whiskas and tepid puddle-water and has been showing nothing but the Care Bears movie for lo these twenty years*. And Broadway was named as one of the best places to watch films in the world in Empire magazine's top ten list, which proves it conclusively, as if it's written down it must be true.

*possibly not true.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just down the road from the Broadway is the Screening Room, a cinema that seats about 12 people and serves you tea and cake. It is ridiculously twee and I love it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »
    Montrose, CO: If you've ever lived in NY and thought what you really needed was more taxes, or if you've ever lived in KY and thought you needed more racism and a frantic insane love of Jesus, you should move here. At least in KY they like jesus but they still have premarital sex; in Montrose, the only people who aren't saving themselves for marriage are skinheads. They also have state, county, and city taxes, so you pay nearly 9% on most items and pay 3-4% on foods such as milk, eggs, and bread.

All their girls are sluts too. First hand experience.

I thought all the girls were either teenagers or cougars. Were you on the jailbait track while you were in Montrose, or do you just prefer older women?

cabsy on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Dublin, our public transport is utter shit and there's lots of homeless people about. Also, thanks to rampant property development there are tons of empty office buildings. The streets are also fucking filthy.

More importantly Dublin is the seat of the Irish government which is chock full of: nod and wink corruption, wild cronyism and hilarious incompetence. So we get all the traffic caused the by protests that are held when they fuck everything up! (See the last decade or so).

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

When I lived in Ballarat for Uni our rent was $200/week for 4. Even my friends who moved to Melbourne only had ~$300/week for 4. I can't imagine spending that much.

yyyyupppp. Its slightly overpriced, but not by much. Pretty damn close to the market median...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in a town whose job opportunities consist off:

Call center
    Supermarket
    Car mechanic
    Box packager

Whose IQ consists of:

Whose town has:

Not just one but two £1 shops!

Whose people are:

Fucking dumb shit

Whose politics are:

Vote Labour over and over no matter how fucking useless they are in this godawful town.

Yeah I love my town dearly. If I had a nuke this town wouldn't be here.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

yyyyupppp. Its slightly overpriced, but not by much. Pretty damn close to the market median...

Just come to indianapolis... :mrgreen:

$1800 for 1800 sq ft 3 bdrm in downtown.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

But then you live in Indianapolis, so..

adytum on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shut your mouth.. dats colts country.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jimblin wrote: »

I'm from New York City.

Everywhere else in the world that I've visited seems excessively polite in comparison.

Except for Paris, which seemed normal.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Jimblin wrote: »

I'm from New York City.

Everywhere else in the world that I've visited seems excessively polite in comparison.

Except for Paris, which seemed normal.

Paris is wonderful so long as you don't mind the Parisians.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

Indianapolis > Chicago

and

ROUND 1
    FIGHT!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

Indianapolis > Chicago

and

ROUND 1
    FIGHT!

Whoever wins, we lose.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My town had the highest amount of incest till 1930. Granted none of my parents are from here but... ugh.

England sucks as a whole.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    My town had the highest amount of incest till 1930. Granted none of my parents are from here but... ugh.

where my parents live in illinois had the highest teen pregnancy rate...in fucking illinois. It beat Chicago suburbs...in the south

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Highest in England, or in the world?

Either way: Ahahahahahaha

adytum on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

Indianapolis > Chicago

and

ROUND 1
    FIGHT!

Indianapolis is actually one of my serious considerations for moving to after getting my BA, along with Denver and Austin. It has what I'm looking for with grad school & starting a career, relatively cheap cost of living, has a pretty active downtown from what i've seen whenever I visit, family is nearby in case everything goes to shit while I' m out there, and it's nearby other major cities (granted you have to drive through cornfields for an hour or two).

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    I live in Aberdeen. It's nearly always depressingly grey and all the people are mostly fat, ugly, boring and stupid. Oh and nothing happens here because the population is small. The rest of the country calls us "sheep shaggers". Other than that it's great.

I got with a chick in Glasgow who said she was from Aberdeen. You guys have some fucking thick accents. Her and her friends said they've never even been hiking in the highlands and they've lived there all their life, which to me is completely insane. The hiking in Scotland is more wonderful and incredible than I ever would have imagined, and you guys are a 2 hour trainride away from it. One day I want to live over there, just for the wildlife.

The accent is called "doric" and I hate it. Basically people decide how "Aberdionian" you are by the gutteral noises that escape you when you open your mouth. If you don't sound sufficiantly silly gooseish they will call you "posh" and treat you like shit.

We do have nice hills in grampain though I'll give it that. But lately Donald Trump has decided to build a golfing hotel resort over our few sites of natural beauty.

The funny thing about Aberdeen is any other place on earth if you slag it off the locals will get defensive and defend their hometown. Not with Aberdeen. Say what you like, the streets are full of drunks, the people are ugly, the town is depressing, the council is corrupt or the football team fucking sucks.

Mostly the locals will just go "you're right".

I had a brief thing with a girl from Aberdeen when i was in Dundee, and i went to visit her one or twice. All i can recall about the place is it's main industries seem to be oil and strip clubs.

And yeah, the accent is crazy.
    I've known a guy from there for about five years now and i still struggle to understand what the hell he's on about half the time.

I also live in Aberdeen, though I'm English. To be honest, apart from nothing ever happening here I can't really recount any negative experiences; and the accent's fine. There are far worse.

EDIT: The (native) people are not the best-looking bunch.

Yeah there are lots of strip clubs and a lot of bars. I'm pretty sure our bar to population ratio is stupidly high, the city centre is basically just bars with a couple of shops thrown in. It's a place for oil industry workers to drink their salaries away.

And fourth estate if you're English and have never had a bad experience in Aberdeen you must never leave your house. You know all those people from Aberdeen you meet? Yeah, they hate you, they hate you a lot. Now we're in world cup season you better be ready to take a lot of shit and abuse because being English in Aberdeen at the best of times is unpleasent but during the world cups the hate list goes like this,

1. You
    2. Peodohiples
    3. You
    4. Murderers
    5. Rapists
    6. Rangers supporters
    7. You

It's kind of telling that the number of people from Aberdeen on this forum can probably be counted on one hand but theres still several people agreeing that this place is a hole.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I never understand the apparent utter lack of perspective behind statements like this.

Bogart on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand.

fairly small town, like 95% white people yet still a fair bit of casual racism, university has a reputation as a party school because of this bullshit so there's a lot of dumbasses around.

The country as a whole is generally pretty good, politically a bit to the right of most of europe and we've currently got the centre-right party in power who basically campaigned on being moderate then went and shat all over that by raising GST (VAT) from 12.5% to 15% while dropping tax rates on the highest income brackets.

The sheepfucking jokes have been done to death, don't bother.

L|ama on
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WMain00:
    I live in a town whose job opportunities consist off:

Call center
    Supermarket
    Car mechanic
    Box packager

Whose IQ consists of:

Whose town has:

Not just one but two £1 shops!

Whose people are:

Fucking dumb shit

Whose politics are:

Vote Labour over and over no matter how fucking useless they are in this godawful town.

Yeah I love my town dearly. If I had a nuke this town wouldn't be here.

S...Staffordshire? I could be wrong of course, but I went to Uni near there, and the profile fits. However, it also sounds vaguely like my town in Cumbria too, where I hail from.

Most recently notable for a guy flipping out and going on a killing spree for no reason, also has lots of cheap shops. Was home to an expensive job creating regeneration where only the dodgy modern art remains (all the stores that opened have since shut down).

Also, in winter when the local kids aren't getting drunk and trying to kill you or each other - they stand on a frozen lake and drop heavy rocks at their own feet. They are too dumb to even try and drown other kids. They are literally playing russian roulette with themselves for shits and giggles.

Sorry - none of this sounds particularly bad as I am not articulate. I have come to view 'Cumbria' (or at least my town) and 'suck' as synonyms to a degree where it is hard to elaborate why anymore.
    Cumbria: Beautiful place - shame about the people.

I think it's a personality thing though. If anyone feels particularly patriotic about their home town, they tend not to be my sort of people. That said, I do believe that it is perfectly acceptable to say "Yeah its a shithole! But its my shithole! You don't get to call it that! "

Lacroix on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like Toronto, but then again i've only been up here at best two years, and most of those were during school hours (35 hours a week! Gah!), so i'm not sure if I can cast fair judgement on a place when the only other locale I have is Spring, TX.

Anyone else from Toronto who can give me the scoop?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Ouuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh

Indianapolis > Chicago

and

ROUND 1
    FIGHT!

Indianapolis is actually one of my serious considerations for moving to after getting my BA, along with Denver and Austin. It has what I'm looking for with grad school & starting a career, relatively cheap cost of living, has a pretty active downtown from what i've seen whenever I visit, family is nearby in case everything goes to shit while I' m out there, and it's nearby other major cities (granted you have to drive through cornfields for an hour or two).

It is a nice city that lots of people ignorantly brush off. I mean, before the Colts and all, the city wasn't well known and people made fun of Indiana. But the reality is that more and more people are moving to the city because it's cheaper. The city has lots of opportunities for sure and is definitely not like anything outside of Indian (like Chicago). I mean, if you're looking for a place to get yourself up and moving right out of college, you really can't go wrong here. I made a choice to come here instead of Chicago and I don't regret it. If I want chicago, I'll fuckin' drive to chicago. Save myself the terrible living conditions for a city that is nowhere near boring.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I like Toronto, but then again i've only been up here at best two years, and most of those were during school hours (35 hours a week! Gah!), so i'm not sure if I can cast fair judgement on a place when the only other locale I have is Spring, TX.

Anyone else from Toronto who can give me the scoop?

Toronto is pretty alright.

Pony on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Phoenix AZ, Am I even aloud to post in here since there is a whole thread devoted to calling me a dirty racist.
    :winky:

Unsalted on