Options

Let me tell you another [TOY STORY]

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I woke up this morning. Before rolling over to check the time on my phone, I remember the final scene from this movie.

I woke up crying like a damn baby.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bulls-eye gets hungry
    man, im right there with you

Joolander on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    Just saw this; it was pretty great. I'll need to digest it before I go ranking things.

Ken is awesome.

I've decided that I fucking hate 3D movies. I don't really give a shit about 3D and find that it detracts from the movie as often as it adds to it (though TS3 was actually subtle and didn't bug me at all), and I don't like paying an extra $3-4 per ticket. And when a movie comes out in 3D, it's a fucking act of god to find a showing that's not in 3D, which means that basically if I want to see that movie in the theater, I have to pay a bunch of extra money for a feature that I don't even much like. $32 for matinee for two adults and a kid is not okay.

grumble grumble damn clouds

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Then why didn't Chicken Man freak out about his accessory missing!?!?!?

Did he have the gun in the last one?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Just saw this; it was pretty great. I'll need to digest it before I go ranking things.

Ken is awesome.

I've decided that I fucking hate 3D movies. I don't really give a shit about 3D and find that it detracts from the movie as often as it adds to it (though TS3 was actually subtle and didn't bug me at all), and I don't like paying an extra $3-4 per ticket. And when a movie comes out in 3D, it's a fucking act of god to find a showing that's not in 3D, which means that basically if I want to see that movie in the theater, I have to pay a bunch of extra money for a feature that I don't even much like. $32 for matinee for two adults and a kid is not okay.

grumble grumble damn clouds

$3. Word is that Disney was very strict about keeping the price down.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Then why didn't Chicken Man freak out about his accessory missing!?!?!?

Did he have the gun in the last one?

I've watched 1 and 2 more than a dozen times each in the last two weeks with my son, I assure you he has never had a gun and just an empty holster.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woody never had a gun

He has a holster that held a match at one point

It's more like an open satchel, really

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like 3D unless they do a lot of that dumb gimmicky 3D crap like throwing things towards the screen. The extra dough it costs hurts, though.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the 3d in up and toy story wasn't really that mind-blowing, but i did enjoy it a lot, it also draws a lot of attention to how awesome the textures are.

and god, the 'IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YOU!' bullshit. i thought we were done with that in like the 90's or some shit, but no. FUCK YOU monsters vs aliens.

and am i the only person that really wants to see legend of the guardians?

Snork on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They did a fantastic job and keeping aware of what was established in Toy Story 1 and 2. The entire opening sequence was... just so well done. Pixar is so fucking clever.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the 3D only really works if it was planned in there at the beginning. Toy Story 3's didn't impress me, but Alice did, even if the movie itself...not so much. And the ending made me tear up a bit, but not cry like a baby. I think I'm not as a big a toy-phile as many people are. Sure, I had my Voltrons, my Silverhawks, my turtles who are also ninjas. But I never got that attached to them. I think part of it has to do with losing a stuffed Mickey Mouse, my favorite toy at the time, when I was six. Besides, I "graduated" to video games as early as six to eight first when I saw someone play the original Super Mario Brothers at a Showbiz Pizza, and later when a babysitter introduced me to Megaman 2. Now, if there was a lovingly written and directed trilogy of movies about eight-bit videogame heroes who somehow come to life, leave the screen and have adventures....

...excuse me. I think I have an outline for my next screenplay to write.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    I enjoyed the 3D in TS3 above that in Alice specifically because it was so low-key. It made everything look very life-like and natural, and accentuated the movie rather than draw attention to itself. In the other 3D movies I've seen, there are always a lot of scenes where I become reminded that I'm watching a 3D movie and wearing 3D glasses.

And honestly, I don't blame the 3D itself too much for the "It's coming right for us!" crap. That's largely just a CG thing, and shows up in damn near every non-Pixar CG movie ever made. Directors have a hard-on for all the fancy camera tricks they can do in CG, and nearly always have a few scenes where the camera does ridiculous things just because it can.

The Pixar movies that have been in 3D probably don't have that problem because Pixar doesn't rely on gimmicks to sell their movies.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snork wrote: »

Is that the owl-o-rama movie? The flick with nothing but 47 skillion owls?

Then yes, you are.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    True, but then how life-like and natural is Wonderland supposed to be? It should be weird, which the 3D effects nicely emphasized. Besides, a matinee ticket for me is $6 and a 3D IMAX ticket is $14. For eight extra dollars, the 3D damn well BETTER be noticeable.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And the ending made me tear up a bit, but not cry like a baby. I think I'm not as a big a toy-phile as many people are. Sure, I had my Voltrons, my Silverhawks, my turtles who are also ninjas. But I never got that attached to them.

I didn't tear up because I was a toy person,
    but because I could relate to the pain experienced from losing someone important in your life, even when you know it's for the best.

Also, beginning the film with the scene where they're so desperate to be play with Andy caused that final scene to hit me that much harder. Even though they were motionless, remembering the opening helped me imagine what they were feeling, and before I knew it I was experiencing the very same mixed emotions.

As for toys, I never developed an attachment to mine either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shoot, I went to see the movie today, and my ride ended up getting called to work right at the
    Buzz being set to demo mode

scene. How far was I into the movie? From what I did see, though, it was quite good, and used the 3D parts rather tastefully and subtly.

The Listener on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shoot, I went to see the movie today, and my ride ended up getting called to work right at the
    Buzz being set to demo mode

scene. How far was I into the movie? From what I did see, though, it was quite good, and used the 3D parts rather tastefully and subtly.

Maybe 2/3 in, I'd guess.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I enjoyed the 3D in TS3 above that in Alice specifically because it was so low-key. It made everything look very life-like and natural, and accentuated the movie rather than draw attention to itself. In the other 3D movies I've seen, there are always a lot of scenes where I become reminded that I'm watching a 3D movie and wearing 3D glasses.

And honestly, I don't blame the 3D itself too much for the "It's coming right for us!" crap. That's largely just a CG thing, and shows up in damn near every non-Pixar CG movie ever made. Directors have a hard-on for all the fancy camera tricks they can do in CG, and nearly always have a few scenes where the camera does ridiculous things just because it can.

The Pixar movies that have been in 3D probably don't have that problem because Pixar doesn't rely on gimmicks to sell their movies.

It doesn't hurt that Avatar imposed a standard of using the screen as the near-point (the term is "in relief," correct?).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I forgot what movie it was, I think it was Finding Nemo, where in the Director Commentary Pixar established the fact that even though they know they can do much more with the CG Camera (going through objects, insane camera tricks etc.) they tend to never do just because keeping the camera in the bounds of a normal movie camera makes the films seem more believable and engaging.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ross_C wrote: »

I forgot what movie it was, I think it was Finding Nemo, where in the Director Commentary Pixar established the fact that even though they know they can do much more with the CG Camera (going through objects, insane camera tricks etc.) they tend to never do just because keeping the camera in the bounds of a normal movie camera makes the films seem more believable and engaging.

I know they worked really hard in Wall-E to mimic the kind of camera equipment that so many of our favorite Sci-Fi films were made with.

I want to see a full length 2D film made by Pixar. Just to show the world they can do it. You know Lasseter wants to.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saw it today, and I have to say I was largely impressed. I wasn't the biggest fan of Toy Story 1 or 2, as I felt they aimed a little young and were fairly rote. Still brilliantly presented, mind you, but not doing much beyond being high-quality children's entertainment. And then, after the ultimately disappointing (but still very good) WALL-E and Up, I was feeling the Pixar backlash.

But I loved this film. Earnest but not saccharine, honest but not hokey, self-aware but not smug, it hit all the right notes for me. Plus, it hit a significantly dark note in the climax that would be rare in any motion picture, but here magnified because how the relative safety of the series lured in very small children and then exposed them to some very real grimness.

To take a film that was completely unwarranted and could have possibly been utter cash-grabbery and put this much care and effort into it earns Pixar a huge kudos from me, and guarantees Toy Story 3 an eventual spot in my blu-ray collection alongside The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Monsters Inc, despite the fact both its predecessors are absent from that group.

After seeing this, my optimism in Pixar's future output is cautiously renewed (even though I know a Cars sequel is on the way). Given that we'll soon be seeing a romantic comedy and a fantasy epic from them, I eagerly await future productions. Maybe Pixar is moving in a better direction; maybe they're growing up.

Just a little.

Atomika on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Man, I have to give the Owl movie credit for doing something different besides goofy comedy. Pixar is the only one that really blends emotion and humor these days.

That being said, it tries way too hard. Your movie is about goddamn owls! That's a tough sell! No, do not have a location in your movie that is spelled with an apostrophe!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Man, I have to give the Owl movie credit for doing something different besides goofy comedy. Pixar is the only one that really blends emotion and humor these days.

That being said, it tries way too hard. Your movie is about goddamn owls! That's a tough sell! No, do not have a location in your movie that is spelled with an apostrophe!

I tried to get into it, because I could see a lot of effort was being put into it, but it's an incredibly large pill to swallow to take "owls live together in a society with magic powers and evil guys and shit" seriously. It felt so goddamn ludicrous

Also the music for the trailer is stuff I'd listen to regularly but didn't fit the trailer at all. At some points I thought the owls were going to put on distressed jeans and Converse and continue listening on their iPods

Rent on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Weekday show + Movie cash from the TS1&2 Blu Rays = Me and the wife seeing this in IMAX 3D for a buck. Doesn't get any better then that.

Great movie, I couldn't possibly speak any higher of it. Hands down, the best movie I've seen so far this year.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think my only complaint about the movie would be about:
    Sid's Cameo. It seemed like they could have put more emphasis that the garbage guy was Sid. Watching the film again, if you do look closely you can see the skull T-shirt, but I think if you weren't looking for it you'd probably miss it. I think they should have him be called out by another worker or something. Or even maybe singing "WHERE ARE YOUR REBEL FRIENDS NOW" along to his rocking out. I mean they even got the guy who did Sid's voice from the original you'd think they'd have him do more then random noises.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Saw it today, and I have to say I was largely impressed. I wasn't the biggest fan of Toy Story 1 or 2, as I felt they aimed a little young and were fairly rote. Still brilliantly presented, mind you, but not doing much beyond being high-quality children's entertainment. And then, after the ultimately disappointing (but still very good) WALL-E and Up, I was feeling the Pixar backlash.

After seeing this, my optimism in Pixar's future output is cautiously renewed (even though I know a Cars sequel is on the way). Given that we'll soon be seeing a romantic comedy and a fantasy epic from them, I eagerly await future productions. Maybe Pixar is moving in a better direction; maybe they're growing up.

Just a little.

I got to say, you may be the only one that has these sentiments. Up and WALL-E are some of Pixar's best. I still think WALL-E is their best film. What specifically did you find lackluster?

Better direction? While there's always room for improvement, by all accounts Pixar doesn't need "growing up." They're already quite mature.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ross_C wrote: »
    I think my only complaint about the movie would be about:
    Sid's Cameo. It seemed like they could have put more emphasis that the garbage guy was Sid. Watching the film again, if you do look closely you can see the skull T-shirt, but I think if you weren't looking for it you'd probably miss it. I think they should have him be called out by another worker or something. Or even maybe singing "WHERE ARE YOUR REBEL FRIENDS NOW" along to his rocking out. I mean they even got the guy who did Sid's voice from the original you'd think they'd have him do more then random noises.
    Yeah, but it's Pixar. They love doing subtle things like this. It's a little bonus for fans.

My only complaint about the movie is that I didn't get the TRON trailer in front of it like some did.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah the Tron trailer looked kick ass.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So did anyone aside from me imagine that
    After the credits the toys finally get thrown to the dump for good and get re-discovered by Wall-E?

hm... maybe it's because I saw that Bobo episode of the Simpson earlier.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I stayed till the end of the credits and didn't see anything, though I remember reading here that there was something. There was the new toys welcome to Sunnyside with the credits, but thats it.

I also did not catch the Sid thing.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeh, geez, I wish I'd caught the Sid thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeh, geez, I wish I'd caught the Sid thing.

It's really easy to miss. The only reason I noticed it is that I blundered into his name on the movie's IMDB page and was on the lookout for him.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got to say, you may be the only one that has these sentiments. Up and WALL-E are some of Pixar's best. I still think WALL-E is their best film. What specifically did you find lackluster?

Better direction? While there's always room for improvement, by all accounts Pixar doesn't need "growing up." They're already quite mature.

For me (and while I'm certainly not alone in these opinions, I realize their minority status), I find similar problems in both Up and WALL-E. Both aim extremely young, and both have inconsistent tone. Both films muddle their message a bit, and both have overly simplistic dynamics for what would actually be very strange and remarkable relationships. Basically, they have some thematic and storycrafting holes that better Pixar films avoid, and those better films do so without having such heavy-handed subtext.

But again, just an opinion, and I don't want to get into a Pixar dickslinging contest over who loves what the most. Up and WALL-E are still very good, and WALL-E is in my blu-ray collection. They just don't match up well to Pixar's more mature fare to suit my tastes.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I completely forgot to look, but did Woody have a larger right arm in 3 thanks to Andy's repair in 2?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I completely forgot to look, but did Woody have a larger right arm in 3 thanks to Andy's repair in 2?

It's subtle, but yeah Woody still has the beefy bicep.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One thing I noticed is that in all 3 movies
    You have Buzz (or a Lightyear toy) acting like a super-serious Space Ranger at some point.

I guess they liked it in the first movie and kept bringing it back.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Basic law of comedy, man.
    Crazy character in a normal world, or a normal character in a crazy world.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

To be fair, that movie is based on a (series of) book(s). The names were pre-apostrophe'd for them.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Snork wrote: »

Is that the owl-o-rama movie? The flick with nothing but 47 skillion owls?

Then yes, you are.

I will say that at least it looked more visually stunning than the talking wolf movie did.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Twilight?

Improvolone on