As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman comics

1565758596062»

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That Could be true, because it is confirmed that bruce will be back in the bat suit by the fall when Finch's series is released

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have two characters in the same costume ever successfully co-existed? And even if they have, recent events with Flash and Atom have shown that the present environment won't support two heroes with the same exact costume.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well Guy was on the JLI while Hal was being wise old man doing space stuff.

TexiKen on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, there are four green lanterns running around now and they're apparently all going to get good screen time.

John and Kyle star in GLC, Guy in Emerald Warriors, and Hal in Green Lantern.

Tairu on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know, just made sense to me. They'd work on totally different scales from eachother, so, not too likely they'd cross paths officially very often. Think of Bruce as Super-Batman or something. He can run a moonbase the Justice League hang out in, monitor earth, have the Scifi Adventures and team-ups befitting such a legendary hero that matches Superman in his accomplishments.

Dick can be the Batman that the cops know and get along with, drives the Batmobile around and follows the batsignal and stuff. All they'd need to do is work out who gets to fight Ra's whenever he appears, but I'm sure they'd just do a coin flip or something.

Linespider5 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i would kind of think they'd flip it, really

bruce is only happy fighting crime in gotham. dick can go be space-batman.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Are space criminals also a superstitious and cowardly lot?

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Poor, poor James Robinson if he has to change his JLA up again.

I hope he keeps Dick no matter what happens; he's pretty much the only entry point into that book anymore.

HadjiQuest on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I posted in the movies thread here about how Forbidden Planet is selling Under the Red Hood almost two weeks early, but how I wouldn't buy it because it's so expensive. Well, I talk a lot of talk, I guess, but I ended up getting and watching it. I have to say, while you need to go into this realizing this is the Winick Red Hood story -- and this is the stereotypical grim Batman, for sure -- this is by far the best DCAU DVD movie so far. Really surprised at how tight the scripting is; it was much better and more refined than the actual "Under the Hood" comic. There was a lot of ground covered in this story, surprisingly. It's not a subtle movie by any means (the last line in particular is kind of an eye roller), but all of the DCAU stuff has been pretty "Saturday morning cartoons for teens and grown-ups," so, you know. And it was dark. Like, Spawn dark. Like, numerous scenes of immolation dark. And Jason blowing someone's head off such that you see ample blood splatter on a wall behind him dark.

Anyway, I'd say it's definitely worth seeing if you can handle more Jason Todd in your life and don't mind the most basic, brooding Batman archetype out there. My only major criticism is that the art style was kind of irksome. Why they couldn't have gotten an edgier look along the lines of Gotham Knight to go along with the sinister material is kind of beyond me. You half expect Pocahontas to walk into the room while Jason is mowing down thugs.

Oh, and Neil Patrick Harris killed it as Nightwing.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    That's surprising, but it's nice to hear that the quality hasn't dipped.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    I mean, I'm not going to lie: I could see people disliking this, but I think that would be based more on what the source material stands for than what this movie actually accomplishes. Like I said, it's Judd Winick, and it's a Jason Todd story. But really, I was surprised at how complex the story was - it shot pretty high and came off as pretty effortless. It's a short movie, but it felt meaty and not too compressed at all, in contrast to something like New Frontier, which I did like but would consider almost kind of bloated in the same running time.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was blown away by New Frontier the first time I saw it when it originally came out, but I watched it again last month and it felt extremely disjointed.

But I'm definitely looking forward to Red Hood, even though I don't care a ton for Winick and I've never read the original. The trailers already make it look like the most movie-like of these DTVs, and that says a lot when they've constantly been getting tighter and tighter, and closer and closer to perfection.

HadjiQuest on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How was the Jonah Hex short

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I was blown away by New Frontier the first time I saw it when it originally came out, but I watched it again last month and it felt extremely disjointed.

But I'm definitely looking forward to Red Hood, even though I don't care a ton for Winick and I've never read the original. The trailers already make it look like the most movie-like of these DTVs, and that says a lot when they've constantly been getting tighter and tighter, and closer and closer to perfection.

I definitely think it is the most "movie-like" of the DTVs. Honestly, if the animation had been kicked up a notch, I could've taken this a lot more seriously as a movie. I'm not kidding when I say there are moments in the movie where figures actually look like doodles, complete with some slightly wonky proportions. It's even weirder because the Jonah Hex short looks totally awesome. To be fair, though the actual character art is not so far removed from, say, Justice League Unlimited, Under the Red Hood does boast by far the best action sequences I've seen in one of these DCAU movies.
    How was the Jonah Hex short

I liked it. A little over-the-top, maybe, but that's what you get with Gray and Palmiotti. Thomas Jane did an excellent Hex voice.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    even better fights than the Crisis on Two Earths movie? Wonder Woman suplexes Superwoman!

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    even better fights than the Crisis on Two Earths movie? Wonder Woman suplexes Superwoman!

I really, really liked Crisis on Two Earths, but yes, actually!

I mean, seriously, the action in this is pretty bad ass. Not gonna lie.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »

Oh, and Neil Patrick Harris killed it as Nightwing.

Bender (john dimaggio) as the joker cracks me up as the joker.

leaving off the punchlines but spoilering anways
    Im going to need guys, not these guys tho...

kid came back from the dead to make a point, lets take pictures, first me and the kid, then me and you, then all 3...

farbekrieg on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Whats going on here? People never view DTVs here before me. Something is wrong.

Least its worth watching, last few DTVs Ive seen haven't been very impressive.

DarkWarrior on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whats going on here? People never view DTVs here before me. Something is wrong.

Least its worth watching, last few DTVs Ive seen haven't been very impressive.

which would those be?

I went back and rewatched the return of the joker after under the red hood, so i could revel in bad things happening to robin. It makes me remember how special mark hamills run as the voice of joker is, dimaggio has limited dialog but does alot with it, but it seems the directive was to follow heaths footsteps instead of marks...

farbekrieg on
    edited July 2010
    The Green Lantern and Batman/Superman were the last ones I watched, GL wasn't a terrible film it was just mediocre to a point, utterly forgettable while Batman/Superman was just a terrible, terrible abomination, the legacy of a thousand slave-Korean animators.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    Didn't you see the Crisis on Two Earths movie, DW?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, that was awesome, but mostly for Owlman. I should find make a gif again.

I think that might be more recent film I watched actually but its still aw hile ago.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    Im rectifying this Red Hood nsituation but at the moment Ill say that the Joker voice is good, sometimes mistakable for Hamills, but he doesnt seem able to do the very high pitched voice that lends to his more memorable laughs and insanity peaks.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    God its bizarre, hes getting the laugh closer as the film goes on, if I didnt know beforehand Id swear it was Hamill. At least if he sticks to his retirement after Arkham 2 we have a replacement.

DarkWarrior on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I am guessing the arc that just finished in Batgirl could be considered to have finished before Gordan got tangled up with the Birds again. I think I am going to have to re-read everything, because I think there is a conflict in there somewhere.

Edit: Never mind. It appears the conflict was due to a bad guess on my part.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Under The Red Hood had to be fantastic

It has Dean Winchester in it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Really? I love that show.

Solar on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Yeah, he plays Red Hood.

Silver_Mage on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Yeah, he plays Red Hood.

Cool.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-october-2010-solicitations-100719.html

Well now we know what Morrison is going to be writing.

Of those one-shots i'm probably only going to pick up the ones by Fabian Nicieza.

Why is Shane Davis doing all the covers? Am I the only person that doesn't think Shane Davis is that good?

Tairu on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bruce Wayne - The Road Home?

So wait a minute. What is Return of Bruce Wayne if there's another story about the same thing?

Lucascraft on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RED HOOD: LOST DAYS #5
    Written by JUDD WINICK
    Art by JEREMY HAUN
    Cover by BILLY TUCCI
    With a terrorist attack set to send London into mayhem and countless lives held in the balance, Jason Todd is forced out of the shadows and must call upon all he has learned to prevent this disaster. Can this fallen hero embrace what he used to be – and stop this catastrophe?

This actually sounds interesting. I think neat things could be done with Jason Todd as sort of a post-90s neo-pulp Batman/Punisher hybrid. You would have to be able to suspend a lot of disbelief, but it could work with the right team.

Is this book good?

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

So wait a minute. What is Return of Bruce Wayne if there's another story about the same thing?

I think this is the metaphorical return. He comes back a month before any of this.

Tairu on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

presumably they're not the same thing and Return of Bruce Wayne is the story of the residual Final Crisis bouncing around through time stuff.

The Road Home is after Bruce has successfully returned back to his rightful time and not blown up the universe and now he's reconnecting with the Batfamily, which won't happen at the end of Return of Bruce Wayne.

doesn't seem that strange to me

Rans on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Written by JUDD WINICK
    Art by JEREMY HAUN
    Cover by BILLY TUCCI
    With a terrorist attack set to send London into mayhem and countless lives held in the balance, Jason Todd is forced out of the shadows and must call upon all he has learned to prevent this disaster. Can this fallen hero embrace what he used to be – and stop this catastrophe?

This actually sounds interesting. I think neat things could be done with Jason Todd as sort of a post-90s neo-pulp Batman/Punisher hybrid. You would have to be able to suspend a lot of disbelief, but it could work with the right team.

Is this book good?

considering it's written by Judd Winick, the dude who wrote Under The Hood, gonna guess it's great

Antimatter on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-october-2010-solicitations-100719.html

Well now we know what Morrison is going to be writing.

Of those one-shots i'm probably only going to pick up the ones by Fabian Nicieza.

Why is Shane Davis doing all the covers? Am I the only person that doesn't think Shane Davis is that good?

How does that tell us what Morrison is writing? Batman: The Return is a one shot.

MastaP on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010
    Written by JUDD WINICK
    Art by JEREMY HAUN
    Cover by BILLY TUCCI

Is this book good?

Yeah it's pretty good

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2010
    time for a new bat-thread, ladies

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.