Options

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    The exchange issues are a slightly bigger problem, but in that case, you can just tell users that if their phone of choice is an iPhone 4, they'll have to keep their calendars neat (old events archived) until the software is fixed.

I worked in IT for 4 years before graduate school and I was by far the most requested and best regarded person on staff. You know why? Because I never preached at people about any of the hardware or software they wanted to use. I'd take a look at what was wrong and try my best to make whatever they wanted to use work with our services. I'd carefully explain any shortcomings I knew of and made it clear that I would always try my best to get things running smoothly and self-sufficiently. The users loved it. I still get tons of calls from people to help with stuff whenever I'm back in town. For $50/hour, of course.

It's been my experience that telling people things doesn't mean they will do it. We have over 800 people in the main office, standardizing on a few smart phones is the only way to keep things sane.

The exchange issues are bad, but apples tarnishing their rep with IT managers. You'd be brainless to keep ordering phones that not only have problems with email, but also have hardware flaws.

We have a BES, now is the time to knock out the iphone crap.

Why keep around flawed and problematic hardware? We already have tech support calls over "I keep dropping calls", it creates more work and problems for us.
    so why didn't you phase blackberry out earlier this year?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2010/03/another-nationwide-outage-for.php

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why keep around flawed and problematic hardware? We already have tech support calls over "I keep dropping calls", it creates more work and problems for us.

Stop making sense.

For business applications, I found the iPhone to be problematic and, quite frankly, any benefit it gave me was diminished by other things. It's not business friendly, everything I do is on PC's with Windows, and it's too fucking expensive.

I went with a Samsung Jack, which took all of 2 minutes to set up a connection to GMail and my Outlook email account, another few minutes a week to synchronize my Outlook calendar to it.

Seriously, if you want to do business, get a Blackberry or a similar phone.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The idea being that you shouldn't need hidden menu functionality that changes based on the item/location that you're using your alternate-click on.

Apple needs to stop telling me what i shouldn't need, and I'd buy their stuff.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Natheo wrote: »
    The idea being that you shouldn't need hidden menu functionality that changes based on the item/location that you're using your alternate-click on.

And since that functionality is there in the system, you'll be going out to buy one right now hm?

adytum on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Natheo wrote: »

abloobloo UI design guidelines? No, really what's your point here? That companies have UI guidelines for their OS's? Microsoft's is pretty neat too. I refer to it pretty often while writing personal and business software.

I assume you run a *nix distro with custom kernel on it, and with the DE and WM you prefer for those times that you need more than the CLI?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    Shareholders are just frightened by ridiculous Internet Hype Machine bullshit, they'll be back, mark my words

What makes you think these shareholders are sitting around on the internet reading message boards?

I mean, talk about confirmation bias...

Actually, they do. The message boards on stock trading/financial sites can be fierce, and that's for pretty much EVERY company (not just Apple). There's been some talk about going after people for slander/insider trading for what was said on stock boards.

Remember, many stock traders want to do whatever they can for an edge that will give them a better chance to buy low and sell high. The antenna thing is more than big enough to set traders off.

Yes, but not THESE message boards, full of fanboys insisting one thing or the other. Stock traders don't worry about personal brand loyalty.

Evander on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    nstf, you're exactly the sort of company that I come in and replace when a business gets tired of their 'fussy IT guy(s)'.

Keep up the good work :).

My IT department is part of the company, it's not outsourced. The iphone has never compared to blackberry from a business standpoint, and it's always been problematic with exchange. The ios4 created more problems, at&t's new data rates are bad, and the iphone 4 is problematic. That's more than enough for any department to cancel future orders/support and concentrate on RIM products, and since we already have a BES blackberry works better.

Part of the company? That's even better for me: You'd be amazed at how much you cost in benefits compared to outsourcing to a business like mine :).

Now, regarding the iphone in a business standpoint, it actually really depends on how you weigh different services. Is text messaging the primary concern? Then RIM has an edge, batch operations in messaging alone make it worthwhile. Just e-mail / exchange? Well: there are several workarounds to get Exchange working nicely on iphones and droids (it's amazing what you learn when you're willing to support a product.) But e-mail and SMS are hardly the only duties of a smartphone. How about any sort of work online? iphone/droid trumps RIM. Handling attachments? iphone/droid. Working with PDFs? iphone/droid. Looking impressive/showing something to a client? Anything but RIM.
    I've had to deal with apples failures at work for a while. This screw up was bad enough I can finally start phasing out their products and give a great reason why we won't suppor them.

I think this really says it all, though. You obviously haven't been dealing with smartphones or computers very long if you think THIS is a reasonable approach for you to take. Every tech company releases shit products: Apple's failure rates for computers are in line with the rest of the industry. For smartphone reliability, they've got pretty much everyone beat hands down (half the failure rate of blackberries, which are generally considered to be the reliable workhorse of smartphones.) The software issues are easy to work around. Keep withdrawing products from 'problematic' companies and you're sure to withdraw everything in a few years.

Basically, you're experiencing confirmation bias. You don't like Apple, so you notice them more when they screw up. That's cool. I hear it's hip, these days.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

Apple fanboys freak the fuck out, explain every single reason Apple products are better than Jesus, and simply can't understand that some people just don't want a fucking Apple.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

Apple fanboys freak the fuck out, explain every single reason Apple products are better than Jesus, and simply can't understand that some people just don't want a fucking Apple.

Apparently you haven't, well, read this thread.

adytum on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

What in the world happened between your previous post and the above one to prompt this?

Is this just a poor attempt at trolling?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    IN THIS THREAD:

That's okay, it seems like half the people in here haven't even read the thread title.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

Also in this thread: people that don't want Apple products scream it over and over again because it's important that we know how special they are for not wanting an Apple product.

Did you have something constructive to add?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's okay, it seems like half the people in here haven't even read the thread title.
    What in the world are you trying to say? That this is the "f you Apple" thread and if you don't share that opinion then you should just geeeeeeeet out?

Also, the phone's sellin' like hotcakes. I move that the title be changed to "Consumers to Apple: We'd Love to Fuck You All Night Long, Baby."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

Possibly because the thread title, echoing most of the vitriol in this thread, is non-nonsensical and divorced from reality.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    IN THIS THREAD:

What in the world happened between your previous post and the above one to prompt this?

Is this just a poor attempt at trolling?

Reading more of the thread.

Dude cut off the IT support for the iPhone (Which is dodgy as hell at best when being used in practical business applications), which makes perfect sense. If the issues with it in an enterprise environment (and from a technical standpoint) are fixed, I seriously don't see why he wouldn't reinstate support.

And then is given loads of snark.

It's there. In writing.

I never really paid attention to why Apple faithfuls were always portrayed as such dicks, but damn, there it is. If I didn't love my iPod I'd almost want to throw it out.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What in the world are you trying to say? That this is the "f you Apple" thread and if you don't share that opinion then you should just geeeeeeeet out?

Also, the phone's sellin' like hotcakes. I move that the title be changed to "Consumers to Apple: We'd Love to Fuck You All Night Long, Baby."

Something selling well =/= good product

It just means people think it's a good product. Importantly different.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

They are fine for personal phones if you don't want to work and want what's cool in the hipster community.

Brit Spears is popular as well, that doesn't make her a good singer.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It is actually just another look in to the absurdity of Jobs' response.

Consumer Report gave the phone high marks, but then said that they "couldn't recommend it" because if had a fatal flaw that countered all of the positives. Essentially saying "This device would be amazing if the antenna worked."

Jpobs had a chance to do a mea culpa, and get the black mark removed, and have a top marks on Consumer Reports feather to stick in his cap. Instead he acted like a giant five year old, and Consumer reports said "iot's a start, but we still can't recommend it."

but the antenna does work
    i don't even

It works if you sit the device on a table

but it is a device designed to be held in a hand, and in too high a percentage of normal handheld usages, the antenna does not function properly due to gap bridging.

It is an incredibly silly design flaw for Apple to make. One that definitely undermines their larger mantra that they don't focus on style over engineering, as well. There are a lot of people who are knee-jerk defending anything apple says or does that needs to take a step back and realize that the BEST thing for apple is to do a mea culpa here. Lexus did it, and no one ever says that you can't trust a lexus. That's because there is a way to do it right. Throwing a tantrum and saying "why are you mad at me, other people also have sub-par designs" is NOT the right way to do it. Especially when other people don't have the one practical flaw (gap bridging) that you have.

Jobs seriously messed up on the press conference. Here is a thing to consider: how many people have you heard defending his performance who DIDN'T already own an iPhone?

Evander on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Dude cut off the IT support for the iPhone (Which is dodgy as hell at best when being used in practical business applications), which makes perfect sense. If the issues with it in an enterprise environment (and from a technical standpoint) are fixed, I seriously don't see why he wouldn't reinstate support.

It's there. In writing.

I never really paid attention to why Apple faithfuls were always portrayed as such dicks, but damn, there it is. If I didn't love my iPod I'd almost want to throw it out.

I was under the impression he's trying to rid his company of all Apple products.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »

Certainly, but the thread title doesn't address that. It's just regarding consumers and which finger they happen to be holding up while passing by an Apple Store.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    IN THIS THREAD:

Possibly because the thread title, echoing most of the vitriol in this thread, is non-nonsensical and divorced from reality.

Anyone who thinks an iPhone is a good and practical business smartphone is divorced from reality.

Out of the 30 or so smartphones in my company that I see, only 1 is an iPhone. And the guy is already considering getting rid of it for an HTC.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

It's there. In writing.

I was under the impression he's trying to rid his company of all Apple products.

Because he hates Apple, not because there's anything specific wrong with them.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, actually, I'm responding to all of the apple fans who keep posting "if you don't own an iphone then you don't have a right to post anything at all."

This is a thread about negative consumer reaction. it would stand to reason that plenty of consumers reacting negatively wouldn't then run out and buy a brand new apple device.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anyone who thinks an iPhone is a good and practical business smartphone is divorced from reality.

Out of the 30 or so smartphones in my company that I see, only 1 is an iPhone. And the guy is already considering getting rid of it for an HTC.

That's cool, but at all of my friends [large, professional] companies iPhones are the ones chosen when they're offered.

So anecdotal evidence for the win.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

From an IT standpoint, getting rid of all the Apple products or using nothing but Apple products would be the most sensible decision.

So it makes sense.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Certainly, but the thread title doesn't address that. It's just regarding consumers and which finger they happen to be holding up while passing by an Apple Store.

But I think the point is that a lot of people who would have purchased this device are choosing not to because of the design flaw.

I myself fall into this camp.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

They are fine for personal phones if you don't want to work and want what's cool in the hipster community.

blahblahblahblah

Man, if the phone didn't work you'd think it would get returned en mass! Maybe I missed that stat. The "this phone doesn't work and has been returned by a large percentage of users" stat. Did I miss it, or are you still yammering out your whiny IT-guy ass because you don't wike appul?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, actually, I'm responding to all of the apple fans who keep posting "if you don't own an iphone then you don't have a right to post anything at all."

This is a thread about negative consumer reaction. it would stand to reason that plenty of consumers reacting negatively wouldn't then run out and buy a brand new apple device.

I do not have an iPhone, and I would buy one today if they were offered on Verizon's network. My Android phone is acceptable in the meantime, but I by no means love it. It gets the job done ungracefully and with significant hangs and application crashes- including the standard phone and contacts apps built into the system.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

From an IT standpoint, getting rid of all the Apple products or using nothing but Apple products would be the most sensible decision.

So it makes sense.

Yes.

Standardization of hardware and/or software makes everything simpler to interface.

Hell, isn't that another one of Apple's own mantras?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I do not have an iPhone, and I would buy one today if they were offered on Verizon's network. My Android phone is acceptable in the meantime, but I by no means love it.

Okay, so?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That's cool, but at all of my friends [large, professional] companies iPhones are the ones chosen when they're offered.

For Fortune 100 companies, this may be true.

All I'm saying is that its the flashiest, biggest status symbol out there. It doesn't make it a good business smartphone (because it isn't).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

blahblahblahblah

Man, if the phone didn't work you'd think it would get returned en mass! Maybe I missed that stat. The "this phone doesn't work and has been returned by a large percentage of users" stat. Did I miss it, or are you still yammering out your whiny IT-guy ass because you don't wike appul?

I think you're missing the fact that early adopters are not the kind of people who would necessarily return it if it didn't work. At least, that's been my experience with that type of person.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

blahblahblahblah

It is a convergent device.

Meaning that if one function doesn't work, but another one does, people may still very well keep it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

So it makes sense.

Yes.

Standardization of hardware and/or software makes everything simpler to interface.

Hell, isn't that another one of Apple's own mantras?

It's only bad to remove support of Apple products.

If the dude said he stopped supporting, I dunno, Dell, nobody would give a shit.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

For Fortune 100 companies, this may be true.

All I'm saying is that its the flashiest, biggest status symbol out there. It doesn't make it a good business smartphone (because it isn't).

Look at who the decision maker is in charge of that decision. It makes a big difference if it is the head of Accounting or if it is the head of Marketing.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I do not have an iPhone, and I would buy one today if they were offered on Verizon's network. My Android phone is acceptable in the meantime, but I by no means love it.

Okay, so?

You're babbling on about how consumers are revolting. Except they aren't. Everyone I know- which is a lot of people- have and love their iPhone 4's. Even more, including myself, would happily buy one if they weren't exclusive to the worst area network.

The majority of the bitching is coming from those that would never buy an iPhone- out of some irrational hatred of Apple, not because of it's relative performance against other phones.

It's kind of hilarious to read all the ramblings in this and other threads.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But I think the point is that a lot of people who would have purchased this device are choosing not to because of the design flaw.

I'm rapidly falling into that camp myself. I don't really want to have to encase the device, just to ensure that I'm not going to introduce a big signal loss if I pick it up the "wrong" way. I'm making due with my EDGE version iPhone at the moment, starting to look at the Droid X. I'm liking the Android-OS devices more and more. The Droid X worries me because of that "Fuse" thingy though. Part of the draw of an Android phone would be doing nifty stuff with it like custom ROM's and the X does something funky if it can't validate it's own bootloader. :(

I don't get brushing off the return stats. Apple's saying bring it back for a full refund if it's not working out. You'd think that something that went for $200+ with a service contract that'll run you around (guesstimate) $1000/yr would get brought back post-freakin'-haste if it didn't work. I know I would. Even if I really liked how it looked.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where did I say consumers are "revolting"?

You are reading what you want to read, not what is actually written.

Alternatively, you just seem to assume that everyone is as irrational as you are.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You're babbling on about how consumers are revolting. Except they aren't. Everyone I know- which is a lot of people- have and love their iPhone 4's. Even more, including myself, would happily buy one if they weren't exclusive to the worst area network.

The majority of the bitching is coming from those that would never buy an iPhone- out of some irrational hatred of Apple, not because of it's relative performance against other phones.

It's kind of hilarious to read all the ramblings in this and other threads.

Hello.

I was planning to purchase an iPhone4 for quite a while and have decided not to due to the antenna issue.

Does my opinion get to count now?

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'm rapidly falling into that camp myself. I don't really want to have to encase the device, just to ensure that I'm not going to introduce a big signal loss if I pick it up the "wrong" way. I'm making due with my EDGE version iPhone at the moment, starting to look at the Droid X. I'm liking the Android-OS devices more and more. The Droid X worries me because of that "Fuse" thingy though. Part of the draw of an Android phone would be doing nifty stuff with it like custom ROM's and the X does something funky if it can't validate it's own bootloader. :(

I don't get brushing off the return stats. Apple's saying bring it back for a full refund if it's not working out. You'd think that something that went for $200+ with a service contract that'll run you around (guesstimate) $1000/yr would get brought back post-freakin'-haste if it didn't work. I know I would. Even if I really liked how it looked.

I was considering the Droid X as well, but the form factor on it is laughable. What were they thinking when they designed it?

I hate having cases on my phone, but I do apply invisibleshield to all of my phones as I hate to damage the screens.

Apparently applying invisibleshield to the iPhone 4 will fix the antenna problem. So, problem solved if you're okay with having an invisible thin film protecting your phone.

adytum on