As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I hadn't heard that Apple told customers to not bother calling them with a legitimate support question about the phone. I'll have to search the internet for a quote of that one. Also, if the device is broken for so many people, don't you think they would have returned it? I mean, they bought a phone that doesn't work as a phone. Why aren't people returning it? Maybe there's a brainwashing chip in the phone. Or maybe that's what the antenna really is! It's really a piece of antenna dipped in Steve's Brainwashing Liquid that enters the human blood stream when it comes in contact with skin!

Your second point is still lost on me. Again, please clarify.

Ding Ding fucking ding. Apple continues to deny the legitimacy of the problem, and has replied to everybody (including major media organizations) that the way to solve the problem of the phone not working when held is to not try to hold a phone.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess I could be very wrong here, but I'm having a heck of a time finding something from Apple that says "try not to hold [the] phone." I just caught the summaries of the little event, and haven't watched the video yet. Can you find a quote for me of Apple telling people to not hold the phone?

I can't tell what the problem is from your posts Scalfin. That people are being told to use their phone without holding it (which I just cannot find a quote for, though I'm not sure why) or that you feel that Apple's playing the problem down.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only 0.55% of iPhone 4 customers have called AppleCare about antenna issues. Hmmm.

0.55% sounds like a cool number until you consider the baseline rate. For example 0.016% of Droid Eris owners called in to complain about reception issues. I imagine a lot of people just assume reception problems are based on where they are. And a lot of people don't ever call in, period.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess I could be very wrong here, but I'm having a heck of a time finding something from Apple that says "try not to hold [the] phone." I just caught the summaries of the little event, and haven't watched the video yet. Can you find a quote for me of Apple telling people to not hold the phone?

I can't tell what the problem is from your posts Scalfin. That people are being told to use their phone without holding it (which I just cannot find a quote for, though I'm not sure why) or that you feel that Apple's playing the problem down.

here and here

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I do wonder what the smartphone "baseline" would be for that number. I'd also love to see combined numbers from <Manufacturer> and <Cellular Network Provider>. 'Cause some people that aren't calling Apple are calling AT&T I'm sure.

I honestly wish that if people were having problems that they would have called support, or returned their device. I wonder how many more people could have complained, and I wonder if that increase would have affected Apple's event at all.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's mainly that Apple is using insultingly obvious deceptive statistics. Apple's entire PR strategy was to dismiss the problem, and then it decides to brag about the fact that nobody trusts them to deal with it.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I hope you'll forgive me if I don't view "try not to hold it in a way that covers this spot and this spot" and "try not to hold the phone" as different statements that mean different things.

That's certainly some poop if you ask me, and this has really made me think I may not get the shiny new iPhone that I wanted (I've still got the EDGE one), but those statements aren't the same to me. And attenuation happens with quite a few phones. Apple's right about that. The part that they f'd up on was exposing the antenna as much as they did. I'm amazed that they didn't catch that during testing. You'd think employees went home with the device. You'd think at least one of them would live in an area with less-than-stellar cellular signals and would be holding the phone at some point while being there.

I was mostly just looking for Scalfin to quit being a goose about shit. I'm down for talking about this issue, and Apple's response, and how it's a kind of crappy one, but Apple didn't tell people to not hold the phone and saying that they did so just makes one sound like they're predisposed to a certain opinion about this certain company. To me anyway.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing is that aesthetics should not get in the way of functionality. Case in point - Apple using a one button mouse long after the rest of the computing world had tossed them aside.

In the case of apple... their cases warp and break. Their CPU's run hot well out of the thermal threshold creating a higher than average failure rate, and a fire hazard.

This has been an ongoing problem with their design ethic on their physical devices. They toss everything out the window in favor of sleek and slim. Ignoring thermal envelopes and proper heat dissipation, or now antennae functionality. When it blows up in their faces, they respond by calling everybody idiots and placing blame.

Antenna functionality isn't new, is it? I'm thinking...TI PowerBooks, maybe?
    Spoit wrote: »
    And I suppose that having to move your cursor to the furthest corner of the screen every time you need to do something with the menu is a superior UI design too?

Yes. Having the menus in a consistent place regardless of what app you're in is fantastic, and one of the things I miss most about OSX. The number of times I'm in App X but need to click into the menu of App Y is by far dwarfed by the number of times I need to hit the menu for the App I'm in, which is faster for me (and for many) if it's always in the same place.

I also used a two button mouse when I had a Mac, but honestly after a while I rarely used the second button outside of games.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope you'll forgive me if I don't view "try not to hold it in a way that covers this spot and this spot" and "try not to hold the phone" as different statements that mean different things.

That's certainly some poop if you ask me, and this has really made me think I may not get the shiny new iPhone that I wanted (I've still got the EDGE one), but those statements aren't the same to me. And attenuation happens with quite a few phones. Apple's right about that. The part that they f'd up on was exposing the antenna as much as they did. I'm amazed that they didn't catch that during testing. You'd think employees went home with the device. You'd think at least one of them would live in an area with less-than-stellar cellular signals and would be holding the phone at some point while being there.

I was mostly just looking for Scalfin to quit being a goose about shit. I'm down for talking about this issue, and Apple's response, and how it's a kind of crappy one, but Apple didn't tell people to not hold the phone and saying that they did so just makes one sound like they're predisposed to a certain opinion about this certain company. To me anyway.

oh ok
    thats reasonable then
    personally i wanted jobs to do the right thing and offer us all apple branded prosthetic limbs to hold the phone with
    or even better a phone glove, i would love a phone glove

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

It's mainly that Apple is using insultingly obvious deceptive statistics. Apple's entire PR strategy was to dismiss the problem, and then it decides to brag about the fact that nobody trusts them to deal with it.
    That part (I assume we're talking about when Steve went off on a tangent about not being from Taiwan and how the media's so hard on Apple abloobloo?) was just out of left field. I mean, I assumed he'd continue to play up that Apple thinks that part of the issue is just that it's being reported on constantly, but I didn't think we'd move over toward Apple being Amuricahn and how picked on they are for being the small kid.

I'm still lost about people being offended or insulted by this. Dude gets up there and says "we're not perfect (there's a goddamn slide that says "we're not perfect"), and other phones see a similar issue. We're still not seeing this issue happen to the extent that it's being reported to happen, but we're still going to give you a free case and we're going to give you a full refund if that doesn't cut it for you."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The problem is that "that way" is the exact way you hold a phone. It's not "if your leg hurts when you touch ha spot, just stop touching that spot," it's "if it hurts when you try to stand and walk, just stay in a wheelchair."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That part (I assume we're talking about when Steve went off on a tangent about not being from Taiwan and how the media's so hard on Apple abloobloo?) was just out of left field. I mean, I assumed he'd continue to play up that Apple thinks that part of the issue is just that it's being reported on constantly, but I didn't think we'd move over toward Apple being Amuricahn and how picked on they are for being the small kid.

I'm still lost about people being offended or insulted by this. Dude gets up there and says "we're not perfect (there's a goddamn slide that says "we're not perfect"), and other phones see a similar issue. We're still not seeing this issue happen to the extent that it's being reported to happen, but we're still going to give you a free case and we're going to give you a full refund if that doesn't cut it for you."

I think it was the finger pointing at every other phone with the attitude of "olol physics you dumbasses" part, along with the real headscratcher about "at least we're not Korean."

I watched the video. The whole thing just comes off as defensive, and to some extent dismissive.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh ok
    thats reasonable then
    personally i wanted jobs to do the right thing and offer us all apple branded prosthetic limbs to hold the phone with
    Better; a pair of leather phone gloves with conductive thread in the fingertips so you can still use the touchscreen with them on.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    oh ok
    thats reasonable then
    I... I have an idea to go patent. You stay right here, mkay?

einstein_patent_office.jpg

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Actually, Steve's shpeil was a very consistent with Apple's entire PR strategy, which is why nobody bothered calling tech support.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually, Steve's shpeil was a very consistent with Apple's entire PR strategy, which is why nobody bothered calling tech support.
    Let us see this poll you've found, and the questions it used, to reach the conclusion regarding why no one called tech support.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I think it was the finger pointing at every other phone with the attitude of "olol physics you dumbasses" part, along with the real headscratcher about "at least we're not Korean."

I watched the video. The whole thing just comes off as defensive, and to some extent dismissive.
    I, personally, don't see that as "finger pointing," in a similar way to how I dislike when people call a reason an excuse. I get where you're coming from though. The conference is about them and their phone, not about other phones on the market. At the same time other phones do experience a similar issue, and I don't feel it unfair for Apple to point that out.

Since their device does it to a greater extent than the other devices, they needed to do something though. A free case, and an invitation to return for a full refund if the phone does not work for the user addressed that issue for me. That's taken care of things from an Apple standpoint for me.

Steve's railing on blogs and media and Korean/Taiwanese companies is still baffling though. I don't think he's doing so well health-wise. Though Apple's never been very up on the media. Which is a shame, because I think a lot of Apple's success after the iPod came out has been due to the media reporting on and liking their products.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010

dismissive doesn't waive the restock fees if you want to return it (better than a recall by all accounts as you can return a product you don't like for free), and they are giving free cases (not just their own but others as well) if you want one. And most people don't need them.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sure, they went above and beyond trying to make sure people stay happy with the phone, AFTER giving a presentation where they went in depth trying to show that everyone else's phones do it too. I think every child learns pretty quick in life that the "everyone else was doing it" excuse never works, but apparently not apple. So yeah, a bit dismissive and snarky on Steve's part, but that wasn't really any surprise. They should have just said, yep, there's an issue, we feel it's a bit over-hyped in the media (and arguably it is), but we're going to make it right and here's how.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing is that aesthetics should not get in the way of functionality. Case in point - Apple using a one button mouse long after the rest of the computing world had tossed them aside.

In the case of apple... their cases warp and break. Their CPU's run hot well out of the thermal threshold creating a higher than average failure rate, and a fire hazard.

This has been an ongoing problem with their design ethic on their physical devices. They toss everything out the window in favor of sleek and slim. Ignoring thermal envelopes and proper heat dissipation, or now antennae functionality. When it blows up in their faces, they respond by calling everybody idiots and placing blame.

Antenna functionality isn't new, is it? I'm thinking...TI PowerBooks, maybe?
    Spoit wrote: »
    And I suppose that having to move your cursor to the furthest corner of the screen every time you need to do something with the menu is a superior UI design too?

Yes. Having the menus in a consistent place regardless of what app you're in is fantastic, and one of the things I miss most about OSX. The number of times I'm in App X but need to click into the menu of App Y is by far dwarfed by the number of times I need to hit the menu for the App I'm in, which is faster for me (and for many) if it's always in the same place.

I also used a two button mouse when I had a Mac, but honestly after a while I rarely used the second button outside of games.
    It's not even the wrong window thing I'm complaining about, it's the traveling all the way across the screen and back, for functions which either don't have a hotkey or one that is too uncommon to memorize, especially on multimonitor setups. Thank goodness the job I had with a mac at least had a 2 button mouse, I couldn't move the mighty mouse in the computer labs at my school more than half and inch without triggering expose.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    oh ok
    thats reasonable then
    Better; a pair of leather phone gloves with conductive thread in the fingertips so you can still use the touchscreen with them on.

And that's another thing, why don't any more phones have resistive screens any more? Even when just using a finger, they're waaaaay more accurate than capacitive ones. I have trouble typing the right letters consistently on my ipod, but had no problems at all on my WM phone that has an onscreen keyboard half the size

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    So yeah, a bit dismissive and snarky on Steve's part, but that wasn't really any surprise.

Your product has a design default that causes it to drop calls and your stock is plummeting. So in response you hold a press conference and promptly....

1. Claim everybody has these problems and you are just being picked on.
    2. Insult your customers.
    3. Say you don't care that people are losing money on your stock.
    4. When all else fails, hey, at least you aren't Korean.

That's a pretty surprising response.

nstf on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AAPL is.. plummeting? No.

adytum on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Only 0.55% of iPhone 4 customers have called AppleCare about antenna issues. Hmmm.

0.55% sounds like a cool number until you consider the baseline rate. For example 0.016% of Droid Eris owners called in to complain about reception issues. I imagine a lot of people just assume reception problems are based on where they are. And a lot of people don't ever call in, period.

Right. Mark Twain would be proud of how Apple is presenting the data to the public. Their other big stat from the presentation is that the iPhone 4's drop call rate is only barely more than one more per hundred than the iPhone 3GS. The stat they didn't mention is that the 3GS's rate was about 1:100, making the iPhone 4's rate statistically 100% worse.

Again, though, I don't know who Jobs thought he was fooling at the conference. The hoi polloi wasn't going to watch the conference or care what he said anyway, and everyone who did watch the conference were likely inclined to actually research the "facts" he was stating.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »

8% over the last month? $16 billion net drop?

Yeah, that's not good stuff.

Atomika on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »

Probably too extreme of a word but still http://venturebeat.com/2010/07/13/apple-shares-slide-after-bad-iphone-4-review-recall-concerns/

Their shares have gone down a couple times due to the iphone 4. The response to this is not "we don't care about our share holders".

nstf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    he shoulda just held a televised event called "The Response" and not had the QA session

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just now looking, AAPL fell another 4.1% just today. Apparently, all Friday's conference did was piss off potential customers, industry analysts, other companies, and Apple's stockholders. But hey, at least the die-hard fans who would have never found fault anyway are still on board, right?

Looks like this problem is going to be around a while, and if Jobs doesn't wake the fuck up and stop being a smug prick, he might just be out on his ass.

Atomika on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What it really looks like is time to buy more AAPL.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    So yeah, a bit dismissive and snarky on Steve's part, but that wasn't really any surprise.

Your product has a design default that causes it to drop calls and your stock is plummeting. So in response you hold a press conference and promptly....

1. Claim everybody has these problems and you are just being picked on.
    2. Insult your customers.
    3. Say you don't care that people are losing money on your stock.
    4. When all else fails, hey, at least you aren't Korean.

That's a pretty surprising response.

For Jobs? I know that at least I myself wasn't surprised. He has a pretty lengthy rep as being kind of a dick. I certainly give him credit for trying to show that computers and electronic gadgets can and should look good, but sometimes I do think he misses the forest for the trees in hardware stuff.

As to the stock, that's hard metric to rely on as the market isn't even close to rational, especially on tech stocks. Nvidia has been wildly jumping around for months and has been hovering close to its 52 week low for awhile now, and they've actually been having good news more or less. Though it is interesting that almost all tech stocks are rising today, except quite noticeably Apple. Though likely that's just the band wagon investors jumping back out of the stock.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    Just now looking, AAPL fell another 4.1% just today. Apparently, all Friday's conference did was piss off potential customers, industry analysts, other companies, and Apple's stockholders. But hey, at least the die-hard fans who would have never found fault anyway are still on board, right?

Looks like this problem is going to be around a while, and if Jobs doesn't wake the fuck up and stop being a smug prick, he might just be out on his ass.

For the past month or two ALL tech stocks have taken a beating... the past week or so has seen a rise for the other big guys, and Apple, with some bad press, didn't get to ride the wave as much today.

But the decline in Apple's stock right now has more to do with the entire industry then it does with the iPhone 4(though it does play a part for sure.)

5v20

So did Google, Microsoft and Dell all have a stock crisis because of the iPhone antenna?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Though likely that's just the band wagon investors jumping back out of the stock.

You're probably right, but hopefully this will motivate Jobs into being more honest and forthcoming. Industry-wide, the response to the Friday conference was fairly negative, but I don't think anything would ever be impressed upon Jobs until company stockholder start asking why they've lost billions of dollars over a product that "everyone is happy with" and "has the same problems everyone has."

In a perfect world, this kerfluffle give Apple pause and forces them to be more pragmatic in designing all their future products. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    So did Google, Microsoft and Dell all have a stock crisis because of the iPhone antenna?

No, but then again Apple lost more than twice the percentage value than most of their competitors.

But I'm bemused by your Jobsian analysis:

"Hey stockholders, don't be upset our phone caused a multi-billion dollar drop in stock prices. All companies are having this problem!"

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, but then again Apple lost more than twice the percentage value than most of their competitors.

"Hey stockholders, don't be upset our phone caused a multi-billion dollar drop in stock prices. All companies are having this problem!"

Except in this case it's actually appropriate. Tech stocks have been performing awful the last couple months...they make up a large portion of my investments right now, so believe me I know. In fact for awhile Apple was bucking the trend, but bad news makes for even jumpier tech investors.

Honestly as a shareholder in Apple, you haven't really anywhere to complain anyway. You're invested in a company sitting on a mountain of cash, they've made a misstep, and yes on a flagship product. They'll hopefully learn a lesson and the world will move on.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah, it's ME who clumps entire industries together in the world of the stock market.

The iPhone news pushed apple a little further along the negative slope the entire tech industry has currently experienced.

Currently, pretty much everyone in the trading game sees apple as being undervalued right now and puts them in the buy category. If Apple hasn't fully recovered the losses in a few weeks I'll eat a hat. (not really a bold prediction; Apple is announcing iPad sales figures today, and the tech market is curving upwards, which will carry all stocks back up.)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think Steve's reply to that stockholder question should have been "I own 5.5 million shares in Apple. If you find someone with more to lose have them come talk to me." 'Cause it would've made me laugh.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think Steve's reply to that stockholder question should have been "I own 5.5 million shares in Apple. If you find someone with more to lose have them come talk to me." 'Cause it would've made me laugh.

"You may or may not realize this, but I get paid entirely in Apple stock."

At least, unless things have changed (he IIRC used to make $1 in actual monetary compensation).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    maybe Apple should focus on fixing things rather than big media events

I'm a tad sick of everything Apple being a giant media circlejerk

Jobs is just mad that this time he got the bukkake

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My brother had this idea a few days ago, seems he wasn't the only one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20011050-233.html

Arlington on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Steve Jobs had that idea a few days ago too, at their event thingy.

iTunesIsEvil on