As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey remember that Taiwanese News portrayal of the whole Tiger Woods events and the Jay Leno vs Conan news recaps in a Sims kinda way? Well they made one for the iPhone 4 issues, guess who's Vader.

Cade on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    The problem that I find myself in is that I really want an iPhone 4, because it is a beautiful piece of equipment, and I am familiar with iOS, but I don't to buy a bumper for it and I don't want to risk the antenna getting more and more lame over time.

So right now I am just kind of waiting and hoping that Apple release an update where they have covered the antenna with some kind of coating.

Well, you'll get a bumper (or other case of some kind) for free now. Which will both eliminate the issue and protect the antenna. At least until September 30th.
    Which is really the heart of the matter - it wouldn't be nearly as bad if Apple would acknowledge that they make design choices that result in tradeoffs.

While this is kind of a pot-stirring thing, my issue is that often these tradeoffs are in favor of aesthetics at the expense of performance. Apple is known for their aesthetic value, so it's understandable...but sometimes their priorities just seem terrible. Like, they're willing to accept a 30% hit in performance to get 5% more shiny.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Apple is known for their aesthetic value, so it's understandable...but sometimes their priorities just seem terrible. Like, they're willing to accept a 30% hit in performance to get 5% more shiny.

Well, lets call it what it really is; they took a 7dB increase in attenuation over their competitors for a design that holds the signal 8dB lower than their competitors phones. Not so much a tradeoff as a break even for people who hold their phone that way. For everyone else, it's a plus.

I've never had better performance with 3G audio streaming (Pocket Radio w/ a Sirius XM account) as I do with my iPhone 4. Shit would cut out all the time on my 3Gs, and it barely stutters on my 4.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    Apple's high regard for aesthetics is one of the things I love most about them. And frankly it's only very rarely that a visual design choice takes preference over an engineering one. Theres usually a symbiotic relationship going on there.

bongi on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Apple's high regard for aesthetics is one of the things I love most about them. And frankly it's only very rarely that a visual design choice takes preference over an engineering one. Theres usually a symbiotic relationship going on there.

This is nonsense. Their insistence on thin and light has lead to all sorts of heat based issues in various products.

nstf on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »

This is nonsense. Their insistence on thin and light has lead to all sorts of heat based issues in various products.

Hmm, then I stand corrected.

In any case, I still value their high(er) priority on aesthetics. One of the few things that I dislike about Google is that they do not value it more highly. Microsoft have clearly come round to Apple's way of thinking if WinMob 7 is anything to go by.

bongi on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Apple is known for their aesthetic value, so it's understandable...but sometimes their priorities just seem terrible. Like, they're willing to accept a 30% hit in performance to get 5% more shiny.

Well, lets call it what it really is; they took a 7dB increase in attenuation over their competitors for a design that holds the signal 8dB lower than their competitors phones. Not so much a tradeoff as a break even for people who hold their phone that way. For everyone else, it's a plus.

I've never had better performance with 3G audio streaming (Pocket Radio w/ a Sirius XM account) as I do with my iPhone 4. Shit would cut out all the time on my 3Gs, and it barely stutters on my 4.

So, in short, you're saying "fuck you, I got mine?"

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    [edit]Oh wait, that wasn't your post originally, nevermind sorry.

bongi on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nah, I think he's saying that the phone's not causing a problem for him (the opposite, in fact), there have been a small number of support calls about it, there have been fewer returns than previous iPhones, and the phone performs very similarly to previous iPhones with regard to dropped calls so he's confused as to where all of this weeping and gnashing of teeth is coming from.

Your reading's pretty interesting though.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

In any case, I still value their high(er) priority on aesthetics. One of the few things that I dislike about Google is that they do not value it more highly. Microsoft have clearly come round to Apple's way of thinking if WinMob 7 is anything to go by.

The thing is that aesthetics should not get in the way of functionality. Case in point - Apple using a one button mouse long after the rest of the computing world had tossed them aside.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nah, I think he's saying that the phone's not causing a problem for him (the opposite, in fact), there have been a small number of support calls about it, there have been fewer returns than previous iPhones, and the phone performs very similarly to previous iPhones with regard to dropped calls so he's confused as to where all of this weeping and gnashing of teeth is coming from.

He's saying since he isn't affected by the issue, why is everybody complaining?

That's pretty much the textbook definition of "fuck you, I got mine."

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

The thing is that aesthetics should not get in the way of functionality. Case in point - Apple using a one button mouse long after the rest of the computing world had tossed them aside.

In the case of apple... their cases warp and break. Their CPU's run hot well out of the thermal threshold creating a higher than average failure rate, and a fire hazard.

This has been an ongoing problem with their design ethic on their physical devices. They toss everything out the window in favor of sleek and slim. Ignoring thermal envelopes and proper heat dissipation, or now antennae functionality. When it blows up in their faces, they respond by calling everybody idiots and placing blame.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    :lol: Oh man.

If it bugs you, buy a two-button mouse. The functionality is still there. You can either hold down Ctrl and click, or you can set the single-button mouse to right-click if you click on the right side of it, or you can click the right button on your two button mouse.

It's a design decision of Apple's that's actually based off of a software decision. The idea being that you shouldn't need hidden menu functionality that changes based on the item/location that you're using your alternate-click on. They'd prefer that functionality to come from other places. Like toolbar items changing based on what items you're working with. Etc. Their OS works slightly differently, and they have different UI guidelines for it.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Nah, he quoted a stat (dB drop, etc). Then he said he's getting better performance. I guess I could look back through his posts in this thread to see if he told people to quit whining without referencing any stats or anything, but I'm gonna guess he didn't drop in with a badly-interpreted idea and post a smarmy reply.

Unlike someone.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nah, he quoted a stat (dB drop, etc). Then he said he's getting better performance. I guess I could look back through his posts in this thread to see if he told people to quit whining without referencing any stats or anything, but I'm gonna guess he didn't drop in with a badly-interpreted idea and post a smarmy reply.

Unlike someone.

So either Apple told bald-faced lies at the conference or the Internet likes to bitch and blow things out of proportion.

It all depends on who you want to believe.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So either Apple told bald-faced lies at the conference or the Internet likes to bitch and blow things out of proportion.

I suppose. Kinda. I mean, you'd have to make the assumption that the data they gave on AppleCare calls, delta drops, and returns were lies. That's about the only thing they could've really lied about, since we already know that you can make some phones lose some signal by gripping them in certain ways. :P

Right? If I've missed something obvious, point out my wrongness. :)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I suppose. Kinda. I mean, you'd have to make the assumption that the data they gave on AppleCare calls, delta drops, and returns were lies. That's about the only thing they could've really lied about, since we already know that you can make some phones lose some signal by gripping them in certain ways. :P

Right? If I've missed something obvious, point out my wrongness. :)

Pretty much. Though this assumes you don't really care if your phone loses a little signal but still holds onto the call or still snorks up data.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010

Well you're complaining, and you don't even have an iPhone, so I don't see why you're interpreting it as "fuck you, I got mine"?

I mean unless you're happy for your position to be interpreted as gloating - but I'm sure nothing could be further from the truth.

bongi on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If it bugs you, buy a two-button mouse. The functionality is still there. You can either hold down Ctrl and click, or you can set the single-button mouse to right-click if you click on the right side of it, or you can click the right button on your two button mouse.

It's a design decision of Apple's that's actually based off of a software decision. The idea being that you shouldn't need hidden menu functionality that changes based on the item/location that you're using your alternate-click on. They'd prefer that functionality to come from other places. Like toolbar items changing based on what items you're working with. Etc. Their OS works slightly differently, and they have different UI guidelines for it.

And I suppose that having to move your cursor to the furthest corner of the screen every time you need to do something with the menu is a superior UI design too?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

And I suppose that having to move your cursor to the furthest corner of the screen every time you need to do something with the menu is a superior UI design too?
    From the perspective of a novice-user? You bet. It's easier to understand when everything you need to do is visible on screen.

For people who know what they are doing, they enable secondary click on their mouse (all the context menus are there, if you want to use them), or they use the litany of common keyboard shortcuts that do pretty much everything you want.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pretty much all the Mac users I know just sigh heavily and go out and buy a decent mouse.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

Why don't you think about those stats for a while until you figure out just how stupid they are. Go on, I'll wait.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HA

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    Pretty much all the Mac users I know just sigh heavily and go out and buy a decent mouse.

It ships with a decent mouse. You...you do know that Macs haven't shipped with a one-button mouse for like six years right?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It ships with a decent mouse. You...you do know that Macs haven't shipped with a one-button mouse for like six years right?

The go with that weird under-sensor that's supposed to figure out which button you're pressing. Not only is that much more complex than it needs to be, but it's been wrong half of the times I've tried to press a button.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

The go with that weird under-sensor that's supposed to figure out which button you're pressing. Not only is that much more complex than it needs to be, but it's been wrong half of the times I've tried to press a button.

Wait, which one are you talking about? The Mighty Mouse or the Magic Mouse?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The one with the little sphere.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Basically either one. The phrase "trying to reinvent the wheel" comes to mind.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Why don't you think about those stats for a while until you figure out just how stupid they are. Go on, I'll wait.
    OK, I've thought about them. I'll wait for your point now.

HA
    Damn! Another post where I'll have to wait for you to make your point. Your posts are so boring, Scalfin. If only there were something more to them.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OK, I've thought about them. I'll wait for your point now.

HA
    Damn! Another post where I'll have to wait for you to make your point. Your posts are so boring, Scalfin. If only there were something more to them.

Fine, I'll explain them.
    The problem with your stats is that they see people not calling the company that has made it incredibly clear that it won't help for help as a positive sign. You might as well say Glen Beck is a good reporter because nobody calls him up to question his claims and that the Shoah was hunky-dory because there weren't many Jews calling Hitler to complain.

The second one is hilarious because you're not fat, you're tall from a different place.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

You don't get credit for being last across the finish line. By the time Macs started shipping with multibutton mice, they had been a mainstay in the rest of the computing world for a decade.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem with your stats is that they see people not calling the company that has made it incredibly clear that it won't help for help as a positive sign.

To whom? Apple is perceived as having the best customer service in the industry, by pretty much everyone. Even consumer Reports. The iPhone isn't only owned by engadget reading geeks like myself; it's owned by people from all walks of life, and they think Apple is a company that will take care of them if they have a problem. they aren't calling to talk about the problem or taking it back to the store.
    You might as well say Glen Beck is a good reporter because nobody calls him up to question his claims and that the Shoah was hunky-dory because there weren't many Jews calling Hitler to complain.
    GODWIN.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You don't get credit for being last across the finish line. By the time Macs started shipping with multibutton mice, they had been a mainstay in the rest of the computing world for a decade.

And they have only released the mouse that supposedly solves the problem in the past year. I have yet to see the damn thing. Looking it up it unsurprisingly still uses the seam-free top, lacks a scroll wheel, and can't actually connect to your computer.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem with your stats is that they see people not calling the company that has made it incredibly clear that it won't help for help as a positive sign.

To whom? Apple is perceived as having the best customer service in the industry, by pretty much everyone. Even consumer Reports. The iPhone isn't only owned by engadget reading geeks like myself; it's owned by people from all walks of life, and they think Apple is a company that will take care of them if they have a problem. they aren't calling to talk about the problem or taking it back to the store.
    You might as well say Glen Beck is a good reporter because nobody calls him up to question his claims and that the Shoah was hunky-dory because there weren't many Jews calling Hitler to complain.
    GODWIN.

They're known for being good with broken products. This is a problem which Apple continues to deny exists and on which apple has made quite clear to only "support" you could expect before the press conference where the stat released was someone telling you to stop trying to hold your phone like it's a phone.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And they have only released the mouse that supposedly solves the problem in the past year. I have yet to see the damn thing. Looking it up it unsurprisingly still uses the seam-free top, lacks a scroll wheel, and can't actually connect to your computer.
    No scroll wheel is because the top is a multitouch surface, which scrolls in all directions, and accepts gestures to do shit. It's pretty awesome.

The lack of two independent buttons really only affects gaming. When I game, I use a different mouse. But I LOVE it for everything else, because it tracks so well, feels good in the hand, and does what I want it to without fail.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fine, I'll explain them.
    I'd just like to say that it's an honor to have you take the time to explain these to me, Scalfin. You're so selfless.
    The problem with your stats is that they see people not calling the company that has made it incredibly clear that it won't help for help as a positive sign. You might as well say Glen Beck is a good reporter because nobody calls him up to question his claims and that the Shoah was hunky-dory because there weren't many Jews calling Hitler to complain.
    Yes, Apple's stance here is quite like Glenn Becks's stance toward liberals and Hitler's stance toward the Undesirables. I'm sure you can see how easily I missed their connection what with people not calling support for support about their legitimate problem or returning their clearly faulty device. Yes, those numbers made it clear that Steve Beck-Hitler Jobs (aren't hyphenated middle names just weird?) is... I'm not sure. Calling us Jewish Socialist Communists?
    The second one is hilarious because you're not fat, you're tall from a different place.
    I don't see any correlation between OS design and UI guidelines and my waist line. I'll waddle over here and wait for you to make your point. Again. If you could go ahead and quit trying to be clever it'd probably benefit everyone. Especially me, because you are clearly too clever for me.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No scroll wheel is because the top is a multitouch surface, which scrolls in all directions, and accepts gestures to do shit. It's pretty awesome.

The lack of two independent buttons really only affects gaming. When I game, I use a different mouse. But I LOVE it for everything else, because it tracks so well, feels good in the hand, and does what I want it to without fail.

Why would the go with all degree scrolling? That would just make it more difficult to do one or the other. With the sphere-top mouse, I could always tell when there was a horizontal bar because my view would wander around everywhere whenever I tried to scroll down.

The lack of seam makes me suspect a repeat of the apple mouse, which would almost always normal click when I wanted to right click and would frequently right click when I wanted to click.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fine, I'll explain them.
    I'd just like to say that it's an honor to have you take the time to explain these to me, Scalfin. You're so selfless.
    Yes, Apple's stance here is quite like Glenn Becks's stance toward liberals and Hitler's stance toward the Undesirables. I'm sure you can see how easily I missed their connection what with people not calling support for support about their legitimate problem or returning their clearly faulty device. Yes, those numbers made it clear that Steve Beck-Hitler Jobs (aren't hyphenated middle names just weird?) is... I'm not sure. Calling us Jewish Socialist Communists?
    I don't see any correlation between OS design and UI guidelines and my waist line. I'll waddle over here and wait for you to make your point. Again. If you could go ahead and quit trying to be clever it'd probably benefit everyone. Especially me, because you are clearly too clever for me.

I'm not sure how you're missing the first point, as the idea of telling everybody not to bother calling you and then turning around to say that everything's fine because nobody's calling you is pretty self explanatory.

The second point was that you made the most hilariously transparent euphemism-switch I've ever seen.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hadn't heard that Apple told customers to not bother calling them with a legitimate support question about the phone. I'll have to search the internet for a quote of that one. Also, if the device is broken for so many people, don't you think they would have returned it? I mean, they bought a phone that doesn't work as a phone. Why aren't people returning it? Maybe there's a brainwashing chip in the phone. Or maybe that's what the antenna really is! It's really a piece of antenna dipped in Steve's Brainwashing Liquid that enters the human blood stream when it comes in contact with skin!

Your second point is still lost on me. Again, please clarify.

iTunesIsEvil on