Options

Little Nemo in [chat]land.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Firewaterword, I am fascinated by your "in the game closet" post.

edit: Ludious, in proper pun fashion that was both chuckleworthy and groanworthy.

desc on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    mother fuck

my brain just tried to write the cyborg manifesto for bdsm

:o

:glares at Mori:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    I am happy

Someone mark the date

Res your mood is:
    02281.png

Ludious on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    All I know is there are plenty of "man children" I'd trust with raising children far more than their suit-wearing counterparts (not a shot at will).

I have in mind a few suits I've know throughout the years. They dressed nice and went to fancy dinner parties and did the whole schtick. They also had children who all seemed to be brats

But really that isn't a surprise when daddy is too busy playing golf all weekend to nurture his kids.

A real father would take his kids out with him

and make them carry his clubs.

and teach them the value of a dollar by paying them less than minimum wage for their trouble.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    l

arch: right, i agree. it's a very tenuous line. pretty much all of the interests i have now (except maybe, cars?) i've had since childhood so i never really 'grew up' but i guess i didn't really do a lot of stuff-kids-do growing up, anyway.

By this logic will was raised in a suit sippin' martinis

i had toys and stuff

gi joes, transformers, d&d sets, legos

comic books

i was never discouraged from playing with toys, but it was always clear to me that they were toys - for children - and that they weren't really adult things.

the only exception i can really think of was the old atari we had. my dad used to play that some, though not obsessively or anything.

when my parents spent time with me, it was generally to teach me something adult. they'd read books to me, or teach me to cook, or, like, instruct me on how to do yardwork or something. sometiems we'd play cards as a family. games like whist or spades or hearts or sometimes bridge.

my mother grew up in poverty and my father with fairly self-absorbed parents. i think they both had to teach themselves how to grow up for the most part, and they seemed to feel that the best they could do as parents for me was to help teach and encourage me to do that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't fathom not owning a single Lego. I always figured that Legos just spontaneously appeared in homes with children, like a swarm of plastic locust.

I got my nehpew a big box of duplo when I went to see him. He has tons already but I helped him put the new duplo blocks on top of the tower he built. He was pretty pleased to build something bigger then himself.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Also I know the now-canonical example with those two threads of not-socially-getting-it is "cat ears," but I think every time I've seen a girl with one of those cat ear hoodies, part of my brain immediately went full patriarchy and I visualized sex with the hoodie still on.

Possibly this makes me a man-child and/or weeaboo.

No. It makes you a furry. Fuck.

Damnit!

How am I going to make one of those full body Disney type animal suits? I don't even own a sewing machine.

guess you're going to need a good....

tail-er.

8-)

Yeahhh!

mrflippy on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    How come the conversation on man-children is gender-exclusive? Surely there's some kind of female equivalent to the behavior described in that thread. Twilight Moms, maybe?

Is it just that the forum is disproportionately male?

yeah twilight moms are creepy as shit

but yeah as a cultural phenomenon, it's generally seen as a male trait

partly it's that culturally, infantile traits in women have been more tolerated or even sometimes encouraged over western history.

so a grown women hoarding precious moments figurines or beanie babies isn't seen as that strange even though it's just as lame as a grown man playing with gi joes.

Back in subschool a couple of guys bought one of the large sized GI Joes who was dressed as a Navy Chief. They started making little videos of him in forced perspective staged scenes and made a facebook page for him.

I don't know what my point was. It does sound kind of childish and stupid, but I'm also trying to think of some other "adult" passtime that isn't just as stupid or moreso.

That sounds rather fun and interesting and was probably a great way to blow off steam, but that's just my perspective.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mother fuck

What does this even mean?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    never owned a lego or yoyo. the only board game i owned was monopoly- no checkers or chess, either. i think i owned my first console when i was 8, and my first computer when i was 12 or 13. i also never played house or doctor or had woods to play in or went to the playground or...

Organichu on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I will never buy the comics = childish equivalence.

Take stuff like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A classic for the ages.

But if you add pictures, it suddenly turns childish and something real adults should shy away from?

It's the same with anime, really. Anime is such a wide concept that it really just means "animated movie in a certain Asian style", and you might as well say "black and white movies are childish".

...I'm really just rambling without a real point here. Being bored for another 20 minutes before I'm heading out.

Echo on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am happy

Someone mark the date

First of September, in the Year of our Lord Two Thousand and Ten.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    mother fuck

That the safeword contains numbers and letters and is case-sensitive.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, a lot of anime is geared toward a younger audience.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys I think we just need to put things in perspective.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OK I am sorry.

But the fact that the jew only owned Monopoly as a kid is high-fucking larious and you all know it

Ludious on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Being an adult just means you know when it's ok to act like a child.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interestingly enough Will, I was raised the exact same way, except that when I was taught adult things, there was usually a reward system- I.E. we taught you to cook, now we will pay you X dollars if you make dinner, we taught you how to mow the lawn, we will pay you Y dollars to mow the yard, and the money was mine to spend.

I spent it on books, LEGO bricks, action figures and video games, as well as specific snacks for myself that my parents wouldn't buy.

Interesting how our childhood shapes our adult life and views, no?

Arch on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    All I know is there are plenty of "man children" I'd trust with raising children far more than their suit-wearing counterparts (not a shot at will).

I have in mind a few suits I've know throughout the years. They dressed nice and went to fancy dinner parties and did the whole schtick. They also had children who all seemed to be brats

But really that isn't a surprise when daddy is too busy playing golf all weekend to nurture his kids.

oh yeah i'm not saying that all grown-ups are fantastic moral people or anything

and, i mean, there's some fun traits to man-children. if you want to get hammered one weekend, you can hang out with your bro buddies. if you feel like geeking out, pencil in your nerd friend. if you don't want to be judged, then man-children and hippies are gonna be your target demographic

just that there's a difference between grown-ups and man-children

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    l

arch: right, i agree. it's a very tenuous line. pretty much all of the interests i have now (except maybe, cars?) i've had since childhood so i never really 'grew up' but i guess i didn't really do a lot of stuff-kids-do growing up, anyway.

By this logic will was raised in a suit sippin' martinis

i had toys and stuff

gi joes, transformers, d&d sets, legos

comic books

i was never discouraged from playing with toys, but it was always clear to me that they were toys - for children - and that they weren't really adult things.

the only exception i can really think of was the old atari we had. my dad used to play that some, though not obsessively or anything.

when my parents spent time with me, it was generally to teach me something adult. they'd read books to me, or teach me to cook, or, like, instruct me on how to do yardwork or something. sometiems we'd play cards as a family. games like whist or spades or hearts or sometimes bridge.

my mother grew up in poverty and my father with fairly self-absorbed parents. i think they both had to teach themselves how to grow up for the most part, and they seemed to feel that the best they could do as parents for me was to help teach and encourage me to do that.

My parents always seemed happy that I was a creative child. Ultimately, it did not serve me well in life, but that's more to do with fate and circumstances than anything to do with whether being a dreamer as a child is viable or not.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Children of Man-children

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    never owned a lego or yoyo. the only board game i owned was monopoly- no checkers or chess, either. i think i owned my first console when i was 8, and my first computer when i was 12 or 13. i also never played house or doctor or had woods to play in or went to the playground or...

I spent many hours in the woods. Being a Boy Scout, it's kind of a requirement. Also it was a good place to play house and doctor after you built a decent fort. My first computer was a hand me down C64 that was a gift from a family friend who had upgraded to an Apple IIe. Your childhood sucked.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Children of Man-children
    Only Britain Soldiers On but really we'd rather be playing with legos

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Your childhood sucked.

Yes I believe O'chu has made that quite clear on multiple occasions

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Benjamin Franklin was a man-child.

So I'm casting my lot in with the man children.

Ludious on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think b franks was a man child

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Monday morning there was a small news item in most Iowa papers about Hawkeye offensive lineman Josh Koppel being involved in a scooter accident on campus. Reports agreed he suffered minor injuries, and would likely return to football activities in a week or two. Then, like most small news items, this was tidily forgotten.

The video surfaced last night, and the reports left something out: Koppel hit a Ford F-150 that turned in his lane head-on, did a complete flip and spin in the air on impact, launched a shoe a good fifteen feet in the air on impact, and walked away from the accident relatively unscathed despite not wearing a helmet at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZBktBPnjPo&feature=player_embedded

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't think b franks was a man child

oh yeah. total man child.

So was Mark Twain

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The first computer game I played was Commander Keen.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yay, the Bad Jokes thread got revived!

Yes! Best thread ever.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Interestingly enough Will, I was raised the exact same way, except that when I was taught adult things, there was usually a reward system- I.E. we taught you to cook, now we will pay you X dollars if you make dinner, we taught you how to mow the lawn, we will pay you Y dollars to mow the yard, and the money was mine to spend.

I spent it on books, LEGO bricks, action figures and video games, as well as specific snacks for myself that my parents wouldn't buy.

Interesting how our childhood shapes our adult life and views, no?

yeah i got paid (a little) for doing things like mowing the lawn

i mowed neighbor's lawns and shoveled walks for money, mostly

and i spent it on comics and candy and toys, like most kids

i guess i just hit some points in my life where i kind of left my interest in gi joes and transformers and d&d behind. some of it just sloughed off and some of it felt unworthy of myself as an adult.

(i still play video games some though)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I spent many hours in the woods. Being a Boy Scout, it's kind of a requirement. Also it was a good place to play house and doctor after you built a decent fort. My first computer was a hand me down C64 that was a gift from a family friend who had upgraded to an Apple IIe. Your childhood sucked.

the only time i really got to play outdoors was... not playing. stuff with guns, physical fitness, israeli youth camp. i am not saying it was all bad- my israeli family was very wealthy. i got to travel a whole bunch as a kid, more than most people ever will. but i wasn't really allowed to 'be a kid' or whatever. i also had to keep up on my religious study, quite a few hours a day.

then when i came to america i lived with my bedridden grandparents so i pretty much stayed in and looked after the house.

Organichu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ms golf was my first computer game

first video game period was probably mario. adventures in magic kingdom was a real early one too.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mother fuck

Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto is a famously dense to the point of almost unreadability (but very good) slab of feminist theory that deals with technology, identity, and the various intersections thereof. It posits a cyborg existence both currently and in a futurist manner.

My brain just ran out and started running up much the same sort of ideas, but for the power dynamics involved in D/s stuff.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

me too

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mother fuck

Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto is a famously dense to the point of almost unreadability (but very good) slab of feminist theory that deals with technology, identity, and the various intersections thereof. It posits a cyborg existence both currently and in a futurist manner.

My brain just ran out and started running up much the same sort of ideas, but for the power dynamics involved in D/s stuff.
    All I got from that was robots

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

me too

Hi5!

The very first video game I played was Sonic on the Master System, but the very first video game I played on a console my family actually owned was The Simpsons vs the Space Mutants.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I've left a fair bit of my childhood behind, but still read comics, fiddle with Lego on occasion, play vidja games and after a break of about 15 years started a weekly D&D game again.

Bogart on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My first games were I think Gapper and some strange version of Wheel of Fortune. They all ran off of floppy disks. My first retail game that was mine was Simtower. I also remember playing the King's Quest games with my stepdad.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

and i guess c.s. lewis

Can't comment about the other shit but you're spot on with this one.

Sheep on
This discussion has been closed.