Options

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    2i8bt4p.jpg

Who's the Vyers lookin' guy?

I bet money he's a rival vampire.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yyyyyYYYEEEEESSSS!!!

I could die with happiness! Well, afer I play the game of course... and hundreds of other games... you know what, scratch the comment.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Prinny outfit girl is kinda cool.

HD sprites though, please.

Yes, I really like the Prinny outfit girl a lot. This game looks awesome so far. I'm a huge fan of the Disgaea series though so I don't really care how bad they look. These are pretty niche RPGs anyways and always have been.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Definitely maining Fuuka(!?) and putting whatshisname as the backup.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2i8bt4p.jpg

Who's the Vyers lookin' guy?

I bet money he's a rival vampire.

He's actually the main character's werewolf lackey, or something. The main character being a vampire, of course. Prinny girl looks human, and, of course, pink haired girl is clearly an angel. Throw in the normal demons, and the only thing missing is some kind of Cthulhu-esque monstrosity. Although, Aqua Demons might come under that, anyway...

EDIT - I've just realized that this effectively means White Tiger is in the soundtrack. I am pleased. Now all we need is some Etna Rock.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and the only thing missing is some kind of Cthulhu-esque monstrosity.

Tentacle manta ray loli thing doesn't count?

I think prinny girl is the best design in D4 so far.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    and the only thing missing is some kind of Cthulhu-esque monstrosity.

Tentacle manta ray loli thing doesn't count?

I think prinny girl is the best design in D4 so far.

It's close, but the loli bit ruins the effect somewhat. Although, at least it's not as bad as someone turning Nyarlathotep into an anime girl.

Prinny girl just makes me think of Asagi in that prinny suit...

...Well, guess I've figured out what Asagi's post-game stage will be about.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Prinny outfit girl is kinda cool.

HD sprites though, please.

Yes, I really like the Prinny outfit girl a lot. This game looks awesome so far. I'm a huge fan of the Disgaea series though so I don't really care how bad they look. These are pretty niche RPGs anyways and always have been.

I swear to God if she says "dood" in any of her lines, it'll make my day and bring a big smile on my face.

The new sprites look hand-drawn too :shock:. Impressive.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In one of those images, the class description for the prinny girl says "Prinny?"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That looks nice. I noticed that sort of overworld map, too. Interesting.

Made me think of Soul Nomad's room system, actually. Would be interesting seeing Disgaea 4 having a army-vs-army battle system.

All in all it looks great. No dropped sprites. Sankaku's update was titled "Disgaea 4 Preview Video Shows Off “Improved Graphics”" -- it's best if you read that in the Comic Book Guy's voice. Can't you just FEEL the neckbeard radiating off that stupidity?

Anyway. That TGS page has some interesting info:
    After the laughs had died down, Niikawa noted with a certain sense of gravity that Disgaea 4 holds the fate of the entire company, which is why the developers have poured plenty of effort into its development. Disgaea 4 will follow the exploits of the vampire Valvatorez, a warden stationed at a Prinny prison in Hell. Valvatorez learns of the corrupt government that dominates Hell (no surprise there) and decides to change the world, with the help of his werewolf companion Phenlif.

While Disgaea 3 had a school campus theme, Disgaea 4 will feature a political theme. Niikawa explained that players will make their own political candidate and attempt to overthrow the corrupt netherworld government with their own campaign. Don't take these politics too seriously, however, as there will be plenty of zombies, demons, magic users and more to keep things interesting.

So they're playing up the political theme? Lots of room for gags there.

That image of the main cast looks pretty interesting. You have the hero, who looks interesting enough (love the weird almost-suit thing he's wearing), the metrosexual looking werewolf, Asshat, a mage... with a werewolf tail? A prinny-girl (they also showed Prinny themed power-ranger types in the trailer, so maybe that's what she is?), a random not-Flonne angel, and ... is that Cthulhu's cute niece or something?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    That image of the main cast looks pretty interesting. You have the hero, who looks interesting enough (love the weird almost-suit thing he's wearing), the metrosexual looking werewolf, Asshat, a mage... with a werewolf tail? A prinny-girl (they also showed Prinny themed power-ranger types in the trailer, so maybe that's what she is?), a random not-Flonne angel, and ... is that Cthulhu's cute niece or something?

Asshat is Alex, God Of Destruction's nickname, not Axel, The Dark Hero. Unless, of course, you're just calling him an asshat out of personal experience... :)

Also, the 'Prinny themed power-ranger types' were in Disgaea 3, as the Masked Hero class. Prinny Mask of the Diez Gentlemen was one.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Asshat is Alex, God Of Destruction's nickname, not Axel, The Dark Hero. Unless, of course, you're just calling him an asshat out of personal experience... :)

Also, the 'Prinny themed power-ranger types' were in Disgaea 3, as the Masked Hero class. Prinny Mask of the Diez Gentlemen was one.

Oh, you're right. :)

In my defense, I got the letters right. ;)

God, I'm so excited for this game, but at the same time, it fills me with dread. They've basically stated they're betting the entire company on this single game's success. That's a terrifying prospect.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If this is the last Disgaea, I would be really sad. :(

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This just sounds to awesome to be true.

But it better be true.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really don't want to see NIS die.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They've been going on a downward spiral for quite awhile now.

Hopefully this brings them back.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    newspaperr.jpg

ahahaha, just noticed the typo

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seriously? Smart Phone was killing NIS?

EDIT: Does this mean that the NIS America will die too!? Does that mean no Ar Tonelico 3!? AHHHHHHH!!!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hah. Cute image.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only thing I wish Disgaea 4 did better than 1 and 2 is they improved that grind before the grind before the REAL grind starts. I know some fans love that but I just hate that the 1st grind before you can really grind levels is so TEDIOUS. I also wish there was an easier way to level up your team instead of just one super powerful guy.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can.

It's called MORE GRINDING.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Two words: Item World.

Rack up Geo Panel chains and get massive XP bonuses. Take along weaker characters and watch their levels skyrocket. Item world levels are based on the level of the item you base it on.

So go into, say, a Level 35 world with Level 2 characters, and they'll gain ten levels a floor.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

EDIT: Does this mean that the NIS America will die too!? Does that mean no Ar Tonelico 3!? AHHHHHHH!!!

Look at the date. :P

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know, but getting it started was always a pain. Just make it a bit easier that's all.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Look at the date. :P

o_O...:shock:...:oops:

EDIT: Grinding in Disgaea games will always be annoying and repetitive. You have to be keeping an eye out for those levels where enemies level up each turn, and abuse the crap out of EXP boosts put in the game. Basically, you have to be a Power Gamer to reach lvl 9999.

Oh, and I feel like a total idiot, in case anyone was wondering.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Don't care for At Tonelico, but I can see how the Smart Phone market would be hurting a lot of small game devs like NIS in Japan. I had heard rumors of NIS America not doing that good, but NIS Japan was supposedly doing fine and making a lot of money last year. So I don't know what to think of this recent news. Maybe we will get lucky and a big publisher (preferably Sony or Atlus) will come along and save them. Atlus is pretty awesome, they are the only reason why we got Demon's Souls in North America and Europe.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »

Don't care for At Tonelico, but I can see how the Smart Phone market would be hurting a lot of small game devs like NIS in Japan. I had heard rumors of NIS America not doing that good, but NIS Japan was supposedly doing fine and making a lot of money last year. So I don't know what to think of this recent news. Maybe we will get lucky and a big publisher (preferably Sony or Atlus) will come along and save them.

...Look at the date of the paper...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure that NIS has been losing alot of money recently.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure that NIS has been losing alot of money recently.

True, but they aren't dead yet, which is a plus.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I wonder what exactly has been harming them the most behind the scenes? I heard that one RPG for the PS3 they put out was supposed to be a PSP game but Sony made them do it for PS3 (which is why the graphics were PSP quality), same thing with the lost Makai Wars (Sony used them to build hype for the PSP, then refused to let them release the game, leading to Makai Kingdoms instead).

I also have to wonder how badly the ports of things like Rhapsody harmed them, or how those Gust / Idea Factory games are doing when they bring them over here...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    EDIT: Grinding in Disgaea games will always be annoying and repetitive. You have to be keeping an eye out for those levels where enemies level up each turn, and abuse the crap out of EXP boosts put in the game. Basically, you have to be a Power Gamer to reach lvl 9999.

No, you have to be a munchkin. There's a difference.

Using the EXP level up trick will get you to the mid 120s or so, maybe.

If you want to level up super fast? Capture a monster 9 times or so, then raise the level of enemies, then capture THOSE a few times, then keep going up until you're capturing monsters in the mid thousands. Then run those out in a 3x3 grid, kill those with an AOE attack (you'll get XP, they won't fight back), keep doing that until you can unlock one of the level up maps (Cave of Ordeals 3 is the traditional one).

Lather, rinse, repeat. There's a reason doing this even one time will get you the bad ending in the first, 11 times will get you the the pants wettingly terrifying ending in the second, etc etc.

Usually getting high stat gear is far more difficult than getting high levels in NIS SRPGs.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I wonder what exactly has been harming them the most behind the scenes? I heard that one RPG for the PS3 they put out was supposed to be a PSP game but Sony made them do it for PS3 (which is why the graphics were PSP quality), same thing with the lost Makai Wars (Sony used them to build hype for the PSP, then refused to let them release the game, leading to Makai Kingdoms instead).

I also have to wonder how badly the ports of things like Rhapsody harmed them, or how those Gust / Idea Factory games are doing when they bring them over here...

Oh boy, here we go with the crazy KiTA conspiracy theories again.

Given that SCEI themselves have given FAR more support to the PSP than the PS3, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit. NIS have worked on a whooping 2 PS3 games, Disgaea 3 and Trinity Universe (which they co-developed with Gust and Idea Factory). Meanwhile they've developed what, 6 PSP games and have another couple on the way? Yeah, Sony clearly want them to stop supporting it.

And the Makai Wars thing was refuted years ago, so I've no clue why you continue to bring it up.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only thing I wish Disgaea 4 did better than 1 and 2 is they improved that grind before the grind before the REAL grind starts. I know some fans love that but I just hate that the 1st grind before you can really grind levels is so TEDIOUS. I also wish there was an easier way to level up your team instead of just one super powerful guy.

Oh, man. If they at least spaced it out with content, but no. That's all I really want, a more streamlined leveling process. Some story to make it so I'm not just grinding the House of Ordeals Room 4 for hours on end, then turning around and grinding the item world for a similar amount of time all to get to one extra map, then repeating the process for the next and so on until you run out of extra maps and are just grinding for the sake of grinding (which is where I am now, and I have no idea how that happened).

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did anyone else notice in the D4 trailer... (1:53 in particular)

You can now dual wield weapons? Holy crap, that's going to mess up some grinding, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEqIzM843U

So what the heck is this Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman thing? It looks like a Disgaea-like SRPG? Or is it an action game?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Will probably wind up buying, but it'd be nice if the protagonist looked less like a rehash.

His name is Reharl.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really want to get excited but...what made D1 awesome for me was the characters and not necessary the game.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i bet they'd see some sales if they diversified their platform spread.

put it on xbox dangit.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So what the heck is this Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman thing? It looks like a Disgaea-like SRPG? Or is it an action game?

ZHP is a roguelike.

Also after Disgaea 2 PSP I think I'm incapable of caring about console Disgaeas anymore. Granted I'm incapable of caring about most console games anymore, but Disgaea works on handhelds.

Edit: Also, Asagi needs to be in more games.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    Did anyone else notice in the D4 trailer... (1:53 in particular)

You can now dual wield weapons? Holy crap, that's going to mess up some grinding, isn't it?

Or more likely, it's just a dual-wield weapon.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mighty wrote: »
    i bet they'd see some sales if they diversified their platform spread.

put it on xbox dangit.

Their focus is primarily on the Japanese market, but i'm surprised we don't see these games on the Wii instead. I think I remember however reading that NIS continues to support the Playstation because Sony has been really good to them since they've been developing for the PS2. Disgaea 1 and 2 were pretty good system sellers.

kyleh613 on