As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPad] games: Ghost Trick out. First two chapters, free!

• Options
    JPickfordJPickford Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trailer for our upcoming ipad/iphone title. Magnetic Billiards:Blueprint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjVSnx5_MI

JPickford on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Garage Inc is currently free and it's not half bad.
    Germcraft was free the other day (might still be) and is a pretty straight-up Bejeweled clone.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My Game Center ID is Wavefront, I'd love to be on that list.

Senshi on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JPickford wrote: »

[]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjVSnx5_MI[/]

FYI The Pickfords are ace blokes. I 'know' them from some old uk forums. So I'm pretty damn excited about this game.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hunters: Episode 1 is out. It's free so you can play the start as a demo, but then it is £3 (iphone) /£5 (iPad)to unlock the full game.

Looks awesome, seems to play well. But I guess balance is fucked as

1) You can buy in game money for real money. (£10 for 1 million coins - for reference I earn't 2000 coins in my first level).

2) You get 'presents' of weapons, money and skills etc for watching adverts (which quits the app and sends you to the youtube app) You then have to return to the game and click again to unlock the prize.

Considering this is all about rolling content and so on, I just really think it's heavily weighted to generating revenue from you. The Daily missions to get you to play every day, where there are fresh adverts to unlock the weapons to stay up on the leveling curve. That or buy money to stay competitive.

All the greatest games are in part because of the wonderful crafting of balance of pace. X-com works because of that pace of progress. If you could watch an advert for a toothpaste to get a laser weapons without researching them the immersion is kaput and the enjoyable pace of the game is kaput too.

Really, really, depressing.

Lave II on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is very upsetting! I don't know if I'll even give it a try, since it's such a blatant cash grab. Does the full game leave all of those systems and adverts out? Because if it still makes you do that stuff, then that's BS, but if it doesn't let you have the advantage that you can gain by dealing with it and getting free weapons, then that also messes up the balance and curve.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whaaaaat. Having played some gun bros, which is a decent twin stick shooter but also all about leaving the game to download games and such in exchange for in-game currency, I'm annoyed to hear this.

Leeching it down to at least play the demo, but ... meh.

edit: I haven't even gotten through three levels of the demo, but this seems pretty legit. Maybe the need to buy stuff becomes obvious later, but for now this is action points, overwatch, and squad tactics.

desc on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Hey Rothgarr, I'm using your man in Gun Bros.

Sweet! I'll give your dude a try next time!

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    That is very upsetting! I don't know if I'll even give it a try, since it's such a blatant cash grab. Does the full game leave all of those systems and adverts out? Because if it still makes you do that stuff, then that's BS, but if it doesn't let you have the advantage that you can gain by dealing with it and getting free weapons, then that also messes up the balance and curve.

I'm pretty certain that if you buy the game the "I'ld buy that for a dollar" missions (where you watch ads for loot remain). Urgh.

Lave II on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone have a specific release date for Final Fantasy III ? SE's site just says march, which is kind of... not helping much, I'm really looking forward to this game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    maybeccamaybecca Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lave II wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I'm pretty certain that if you buy the game the "I'ld buy that for a dollar" missions (where you watch ads for loot remain). Urgh.
    I wouldn't say you "watch ads". You click the "mission", an image appears, you tap the image which launches a browser sort of thing, you hit the done button before the ad's even started to load, and you get your item. If you want to, that is, as I've sold every one I've received because I already had better gear, and it's given me about as much money as a decent mission. In total.

I haven't had any trouble at all keeping up with the costs of new gear - your characters upgrade their old gear for a tiny fee when they level up, and if you really want to get the best gear available in the store at any given time it's quite easy, at least before level 6 - I'm only level 5 with my team, so it may get weird later on, but there's no evidence of it so far. The "spend money for credits!" option is... poor. There's no ad for it on the main screen, at least - you have to tap your team's balance in the corner of the screen to see it. At least so far, it looks overpriced and pointless. I can't see any reason to buy credits, and spending thirty seconds on the ad "missions" is pretty pointless, but they don't get in the way.

The game itself is very fun. Being able to rename your troops is handy. Sigourney (named after the Pratchett charatcer named after the Alien character, of course) is my favourite shotgunner.

maybecca on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More info on Sword & Sworcery EP, from Cromulent_Word on GAF (a Capybara team member):
    couple quick pieces of info:

- will work fine on 3G/3GS
    - iPhone/Touch wont come out long after iPad. Lets say 3-4 weeks.
    - no plans for android at present. small team means focusing on one platform (iOS)
    - thanks for the love!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tiny Wings is fun, but Game Center support and actual retina graphics would be nice.

Senshi on
  • Options
    Ste PickfordSte Pickford Registered User new member
    edited February 2011

FYI The Pickfords are ace blokes. I 'know' them from some old uk forums. So I'm pretty damn excited about this game.

Aww, thanks very much.

We're really trying to get the game out as soon as we can, but we're finding it hard to un-learn all our console development training.

Everyone says we should just release our iOS game as soon as it plays, and fix and improve it with updates, but we're still in the habit of trying to make sure the game is close perfect before release.

Ste Pickford on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hunters: Episode 1 is out. It's free so you can play the start as a demo, but then it is £4 (iphone) /£5 (iPad)to unlock the full game.

Looks awesome, seems to play well. But I guess balance is fucked as

1) You can buy in game money for real money. (£10 for 1 million coins - for reference I earn't 2000 coins in my first level).

2) You get 'presents' of weapons, money and skills etc for watching adverts (which quits the app and sends you to the youtube app) You then have to return to the game and click again to unlock the prize.

Considering this is all about rolling content and so on, I just really think it's heavily weighted to generating revenue from you. The Daily missions to get you to play every day, where there are fresh adverts to unlock the weapons to stay up on the leveling curve. That or buy money to stay competitive.

All the greatest games are in part because of the wonderful crafting of balance of pace. X-com works because of that pace of progress. If you could watch an advert for a toothpaste to get a laser weapons without researching them the immersion is kaput and the enjoyable pace of the game is kaput too.

Really, really, depressing.

£4?

It was £2.99 on the day it launched, least that's what's on my itunes receipt.

Did they up it after that?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Senshi wrote: »
    Tiny Wings is fun, but Game Center support and actual retina graphics would be nice.

Agreed. I don't notice the lo-rez so much in this game as I do others... but I need achievements!!!

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Aww, thanks very much.

We're really trying to get the game out as soon as we can, but we're finding it hard to un-learn all our console development training.

Everyone says we should just release our iOS game as soon as it plays, and fix and improve it with updates, but we're still in the habit of trying to make sure the game is close perfect before release.

THANK YOU.

Now go make every other developer think the same way.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Aww, thanks very much.

THANK YOU.

Now go make every other developer think the same way.

Actually, that would be pretty much up to us by purchasing their games, right...? :wink:

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hunters even with the free weapons isn't that bad. After doing it a few times, I now ignore them. It keeps the difficulty up that way. That said, missions are a bit challenging. My first two missions were messy. I lost a couple guys (they are respawned but get behind on xp a bit).

I've been mainly doing team based upgrades. Did 3 +10% armor attributs, one +5% dodge, and one medic. Works pretty well in mission. I think I could get the don't take damage submission now with my armor boosted up. A downside of the game is that I had to money but couldn't buy the armor I wanted. The shop is scarce on what it offers. Sometimes it will have an elite armor, other times, nothing but rusty and standard (still sometimes good).

I think I'll buy it. I want another couple hunters though to specialize in the other areas as the late skills are kinda cool.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maybeccamaybecca Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You get a sixth hunter pretty early, you can buy them from the store. Also: save up about 24k for when one of your guys hits level 4, and buy a passive scanner. Like the regular scanner, it detects enemies within five squares, but it doesn't cost an AP to use. So worth it if you're assaulting a room, and even better when you can see someone standing in the middle of the room, perfectly lined up for someone to slap the door controls and land a rocket in there.

My missions have sucked lately. Trying for the "don't lose anyone" secondary should be easy enough, but I always make a stupid mistake near the end and someone dies. Meanwhile, my experience is all weird because my end-of-mission kill counts are 0, 1, 0, 2, 10, 2, etc. I should probably leave Ms. Shotgun behind for a while, until the rest catch up.

maybecca on
  • Options
    farcexfarcex Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Has anybody bought Hot Springs Story? Made by Kariosoft (guys behind Game Dev Story). You're managing a Japanese hot springs instead of a game studio. Looks very interesting but I'm curious to hear opinions before I throw down my $4.

farcex on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    farcex wrote: »
    Has anybody bought Hot Springs Story? Made by Kariosoft (guys behind Game Dev Story). You're managing a Japanese hot springs instead of a game studio. Looks very interesting but I'm curious to hear opinions before I throw down my $4.
    From people's impressions, it's the closest thing to Theme Hospital on the iOS.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeedlumWeedlum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I finally got to play Ascendancy this weekend. It was difficult to get into, but once I got it going it was a lot of fun. I think an in-game tutorial would be really helpful. The help system that is there was good, but there's just so much to learn, that it was a bit overwhelming. Otherwise though, I really enjoyed it.

Weedlum on
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm sure you all know about it, but my finace has recently become addicted to Fruit Ninja. She's basically killed my battery already today playing it, but so it goes.

Also, the League of Evil world 3 is pretty difficult - that's where it really starts feeling like SMB. Fortunately by the time I got there, I've gotten sufficiently used to the controls that the errors are all on my end. Has anyone found the suitcase on 2-26? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Arcturas on
  • Options
    BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arcturas wrote: »
    So I'm sure you all know about it, but my finace has recently become addicted to Fruit Ninja. She's basically killed my battery already today playing it, but so it goes.

Also, the League of Evil world 3 is pretty difficult - that's where it really starts feeling like SMB. Fortunately by the time I got there, I've gotten sufficiently used to the controls that the errors are all on my end. Has anyone found the suitcase on 2-26? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm very underwhelmed by League of Evil. At first it seems like a great retro action platformer, but gets old fast.

Game needs longer levels, and some fucking new powerups and abilities.

Bloodfart on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ARGH can't stop playing Tiny Wings!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunters was pretty cool until it started crashing every time I tried to continue past the end-of-mission screen. Sure wish I hadn't paid for it!

admanb on
  • Options
    TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    farcex wrote: »

Meh.

It's no game dev story but it has its charm I suppose. Wait for a sale.

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It was mentioned briefly in the last thread, but cover orange is a pretty solid game. You have one or multiple oranges on an environment, and a set order of pieces to drop to help protect them from the rain cloud that will come by after you use your last piece. These are wheels, boxes, barrels, and triangles.

I got it when it was free bur I'm guessing it's a $1 and it's
    Pretty solid. 100 levels initially (just finished) and I believe they added 20 more

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    Hunters was pretty cool until it started crashing every time I tried to continue past the end-of-mission screen. Sure wish I hadn't paid for it!

Fix incoming I read on the TA forums.

I like Hunters, so far I have re-named my team (Hicks, Hudson, Frost, Crowe and Drake, just need a 6th for Vasquez). :^:

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Infinity Blade is on sale right now, I think people dug it in the thread so I bought it. I'm can't allow myself to play it until tomorrow though, exams :?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    admanb wrote: »

Yyyep. A bit underwhelmed right now.

desc on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really like Tiny Wings, but sometimes if I get a text message during a jump, it crashes the program.

Always during spectacular jumps too.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I really like Tiny Wings, but sometimes if I get a text message during a jump, it crashes the program.

Always during spectacular jumps too.
    Yes, the game definitely seems to have some stability issues. I've also noticed that my battery drains unreasonably fast when I'm playing it. It's a great game, but I hope some optimizations are coming down the pipe soon.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ampix wrote: »
    Infinity Blade is on sale right now, I think people dug it in the thread so I bought it. I'm can't allow myself to play it until tomorrow though, exams :?

Ooooh, three bucks! I knew waiting would pay off.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Seriously, why is there no good Railroad sim game for the iPhone. Sid Meier's Railroads was such a simplified approach to it all, it should be cloned to the iphone.

Instead, Railroad Tycoon 2 for the iphone is basically Pipe Dream.

Jebus.

Is there a good railroad game for the iphone that isn't a puzzle game?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tiny Wings is great on my iPad, on my phone it's a bit jerky in places which spoils the gameplay a bit. Still battling through my current Dungeon Raid game, up to level 160 or so and one-shotting monsters, don't actually think I'll die unless I do something really really dumb as my character is massively ahead of the curve.

Magnetic pool looks awesome, will definitely be picking that up when it's ready!

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Machismo wrote: »
    Seriously, why is there no good Railroad sim game for the iPhone. Sid Meier's Railroads was such a simplified approach to it all, it should be cloned to the iphone.

Jebus.

The OpenTTD guy submitted a build of it for the iPhone and was told no by the App police.

Oh, what could have been.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Machismo wrote: »

Jebus.

The OpenTTD guy submitted a build of it for the iPhone and was told no by the App police.

Oh, what could have been.

That one is available off Cydia, but I never learned to play it. A bit more complicated than Railroads. Does it have a tutorial?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    YerMum wrote: »
    Tiny Wings ... on my phone is a bit jerky in places which spoils the gameplay a bit.

Try force quitting and restarting; that usually fixes it for me. Still get a tiny pause each time a new island loads but it gets rid of any other stutters.

wonderpug on
This discussion has been closed.