As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like where this chain of thought is leading. It's how I get all my girls to love me.

Daris on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So,

Trying to get my ME2 saved games in order for ME3.

Is there a way to copy a saved game and use it as a base, and complete most of the game, and then take it from there and complete different romance/collector base options without having to redo it 3 times or so?

Or will we get to pull from different saves within on career when importing to ME3? Then you just have to remember what save 73 or save 89 means.

Bigity on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know Dox, Joker doing the weird robot impersonation at the cockpit was pretty hysterical.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Oh man, that has the best dialogue, when you run over a monkey in the Mako. Liara gives you a lecture about respecting life in the galaxy and all creatures' right to exist.

Wrex says, "Heh, good one."
    Okay, second-best dialogue.

Best Dialogue is Captain Ayala: (to Miranda) "Does Cerberus let you whore around in your underwear or do you always dress like that ?"

Jack: "Hey, I like her. Are we still recruiting ?"

Nothing ever beats
    joker21.jpg

Best picture Dox has ever posted. Ever.
    Preacher wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh man, that has the best dialogue, when you run over a monkey in the Mako. Liara gives you a lecture about respecting life in the galaxy and all creatures' right to exist.

Wrex says, "Heh, good one."
    Okay, second-best dialogue.

Best Dialogue is Captain Ayala: (to Miranda) "Does Cerberus let you whore around in your underwear or do you always dress like that ?"

Jack: "Hey, I like her. Are we still recruiting ?"

That's such a dumb line based on what Jack wears compared to Miranda. God I hate jack, if only there was an ashley/kaiden decision with her.

Just don't upgrade the ship's armour. That's a decision.

I'm too much of a completionist! I can't not upgrade it! It would sit there and mock me, so I'm stuck with a poor vasquez.

Would completionism prevent you from using this method?
    In the Biotic shield section, choose someone stupid to make the shield, like Thane or Jacob. Bring Miranda and Jack. Miranda's plot armor protects her and Jack dies.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I'm not the poster you need right now, but the one you deserve.

Scarab, the Mass Effect threads have done awful things to me. To the point that I found your contribution hilarious. I fear I may be a lost cause.

The Batarians must be destroyed.

Bobble on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love to bring a loyal Samara and Jack inside the bubble and have an unloyal Thane hold it

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    I love to bring a loyal Samara and Jack inside the bubble and have an unloyal Thane hold it

you just became my hero.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

So uh, which one dies?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I'm not the poster you need right now, but the one you deserve.

Scarab, the Mass Effect threads have done awful things to me. To the point that I found your contribution hilarious. I fear I may be a lost cause.

Maybe you've forgotten, but you are the source of this.
    Bobble wrote:
    Shepard was frantic. He'd been keeping this inside and had to tell someone. He saw the way the crew looked at him. They already knew, but he just couldn't bear to talk about it. He knew it couldn't stay that way. He had to talk. Mordin wouldn't be sympathetic, he'd be too logical. Shepard needed someone who would be understanding. He didn't feel comfortable with Jacob, and Miranda would simply change the topic to her own problems. Jack might listen, or she might throw him through the hull. No, Shepard needed a friend. Someone who knew him before he got into this mess.

Garrus, we need to talk. I've got to talk to someone abou-
    Not now, Shepard. Calibrating these weapons.
    Garrus, I need your help here. Tali's out of control and I just-
    Shepard! I don't want to hear about it. I'VE GOT SOME CALIBRATIONS TO DO.
    Why won't you talk to me? I've always been there for you. Remember that doctor!? and on Omega? Help me out here, Garrus!
    Listen, Shepard. Everyone already knows about you and Tali. Nobody wants to talk about it. You unleashed the animal. It's yours to deal with.

Shepard suddenly felt very alone.

Shepard!

Shepard jumped. Tali had taken free reign on the intercom a few days ago.

Captain's quarters! Now!

Entering his (now shared) quarters, Shepard braced for anything. He might get a verbal lashing, or some sweetness before things got physical.

You forgot my birthday, Shepard. It's OK. I got myself a present, and you're part of it.
    Listen, Tali... I-
    Quiet! You don't talk to your Mistress until she asks for your opinion!
    Shepard nodded.
    Gimp! Get in here

Kelly Chambers entered the room, clad in leather.

Shepard closed his eyes.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had forgotten, because that's got to be 2 or 3 threads ago... which makes me wonder if you keep a file on either myself or the multitude of horrible things that come up in this thread. The former flatters me, and the latter intrigues me.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nothing ever beats
    joker21.jpg

Funny, this is the reaction I have to almost every other picture you post.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so I just reacquainted myself with ME2 Vanguarding. My first time through, I was playing too much like a soldier what with the hanging back in cover with an SMG and the occasional Shockwave. So I use some of the advice I got in these threads.

Holy fuck it's a brand new game now. No more hanging back and Shockwaving, now I'm a Heavy Charging motherfucker with an Evicerator spewing firey lead and a flamethrower spewing napalm murder. I spend every fight in the thick of things, my health continuously near zero but I always able to Heavy Charge away to cover and some freshly recharged shields.

Sure, I keep Slam around. Let's me have fun with guys on unreachable ledges and it gives my squadmates an airborne target to Warp/Concussive Shot/Reave/Whatever. But I'd much rather charge a dude and take them from full shields and armor to DEAD in 5 moves (Charge, punch, Shotgun Shotgun Shotgun).

So thank you, Mass Effect thread. You've made me love playing Vanguard.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had the same problem my first time through the game. Charging seemed like suicide, and I filled out the rest of the game mostly spraying Tempest shots everywhere. A couple of weeks later, the Eviscerator dropped and I decided to give it another go and I was a convert. Learning to charge groups is probably one of the bigger psychological hurdles, as is viewing Charge as equally offensive and defensive. I also tended to want to use it on the unarmored, weak guys, rather than the armored ones who are actually the better targets. I could not believe how badly my first character was specced the next time I opened up my original file after my second go.

I mishandled that first game so much.

Elendil on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...Quarian homeworld...

I wonder if we will have to make a Quarian vs. Geth decision.

If so...Geth all the way

wrong wrong wrong

But it was the Quarians who tried to murder all the geth in the first place.
    I'd side with the geth.

Late, but didn't Legion say
    That the Geth would gladly let the Quarians return home and have been repairing the homeworld?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the Geth are absolutely the good guys in this case. Especially after ME2 revealed that the 'geth' you had fought so far weren't geth at all. True Geth are objectively nice and the Quarians are utter dicks and deserved their fate.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    I had the same problem my first time through the game. Charging seemed like suicide, and I filled out the rest of the game mostly spraying Tempest shots everywhere. A couple of weeks later, the Eviscerator dropped and I decided to give it another go and I was a convert. Learning to charge groups is probably one of the bigger psychological hurdles, as is viewing Charge as equally offensive and defensive. I also tended to want to use it on the unarmored, weak guys, rather than the armored ones who are actually the better targets. I could not believe how badly my first character was specced the next time I opened up my original file after my second go.

I mishandled that first game so much.

I don't know. I still don't like vanguard. Even after tense battles epically charging around, I just get too stressed with the constant near-death state of Shepard. Hey, I get it, I just don't like it.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    sam16sam16 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, a dev posted on BSN some stuff about how they're trying to increase variation in enemy encounters:
    Sooo... one thing we're focusing a lot more on in ME3 is enemy composition. We have a handful of roles that enemies fit into. So, take husks for example - when fighting husks you generally don't want to be in cover. They're pretty mobile, and can do terrible things to you in close range. So, when engaging them you generally want to be able to move around a lot. They fall into our "cover buster" role.

In a given fight we might combine husks with a "suppressor" type of enemy. Suppressors try to keep you pinned in cover. With both of those types in one fight, as a player you have to decide which is the larger threat. Do you send your squadmates against the Husks? Do you try to find a position where you're more protected from the suppressor enemy and take on the Husks? Or do you run headlong towards the suppressor in the back, and try to take it down quickly while avoiding the Husks?

Obviously that's just an example, and normally a fight is comprised of more than just two different roles (additionally, "suppressor" / "cover buster" combinations are pretty damned hard to fight). So you might be able to see how just with interesting composition you can get extremely dynamic experiences that can vary significantly from attempt to attempt.

This is also not going into any of the synergistic elements of some of the enemies either... some enemies have ability sets that help or modify other enemies, making them potentially a *lot* tougher... if you let them...

sam16 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you "fail" Tali's loyalty mission in ME3 the Quarian species is tried for war crimes and also made to pay reparations to both the geth and everyone harmed by the crazy geth.
    Berkshire wrote: »
    I decided to play an Adept this time through. So far, having finished Eden Prime, the Citadel, Feros, and Therum (and just getting to Peak 15 at Noveria) I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with the biotics.

You have your prestige class? The first half with the slow cooldowns is a nuisance, but after getting skills up and finding a good amp, I could spam my entire power bar and number 1 would be recharged by the time I got to the end. Plus, regenerating barrier makes you nearly invincible, and stasis damage means you can melee a thresher maw.

Pistol is god tier btw.

Quote BoTP:
    sam16 wrote: »
    So, a dev posted on BSN some stuff about how they're trying to increase variation in enemy encounters:
    Sooo... one thing we're focusing a lot more on in ME3 is enemy composition. We have a handful of roles that enemies fit into. So, take husks for example - when fighting husks you generally don't want to be in cover. They're pretty mobile, and can do terrible things to you in close range. So, when engaging them you generally want to be able to move around a lot. They fall into our "cover buster" role.

In a given fight we might combine husks with a "suppressor" type of enemy. Suppressors try to keep you pinned in cover. With both of those types in one fight, as a player you have to decide which is the larger threat. Do you send your squadmates against the Husks? Do you try to find a position where you're more protected from the suppressor enemy and take on the Husks? Or do you run headlong towards the suppressor in the back, and try to take it down quickly while avoiding the Husks?

Obviously that's just an example, and normally a fight is comprised of more than just two different roles (additionally, "suppressor" / "cover buster" combinations are pretty damned hard to fight). So you might be able to see how just with interesting composition you can get extremely dynamic experiences that can vary significantly from attempt to attempt.

This is also not going into any of the synergistic elements of some of the enemies either... some enemies have ability sets that help or modify other enemies, making them potentially a *lot* tougher... if you let them...

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The real problem with suppresion based enemies in this is the same as Gears. The enemies don't recover health. This means that either they drop to a handful of shots, or they soak up the lead meaning you can't have the closing in enemies either a real threat or too aggresive because your players will hate it.

I suppose they could easily fix this with recharging shields. Not like it'd be out of character for the universe.

Leitner on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That have to be careful with that, because like you said, it can easily border the line between difficult and tedious.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    The real problem with suppresion based enemies in this is the same as Gears. The enemies don't recover health. This means that either they drop to a handful of shots, or they soak up the lead meaning you can't have the closing in enemies either a real threat or too aggresive because your players will hate it.

I suppose they could easily fix this with recharging shields. Not like it'd be out of character for the universe.

Engineers, Vanguards, and Geth already have that.

Works out okay.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »

Engineers, Vanguards, and Geth already have that.

Works out okay.

Enemies in ME 1 also had regenerating shields as well.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They should add an Uppercut to the Vanguard's charge. Just SHhhhBOOM! SHORYUKEN!!

Inter_d on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am somewhat doubtful ME3 will be significantly harder than 1 or 2. The same claims were made about ME2 being 'significantly' harder than the previous game, and that turned out not to be the case at all.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am somewhat doubtful ME3 will be significantly harder than 1 or 2. The same claims were made about ME2 being 'significantly' harder than the previous game, and that turned out not to be the case at all.
    I'm currently playing through the first game on Insanity. It's basically me activating Immunity, opening the door, chasing another guy waiting for his Immunity to lapse with zero real danger to myself from his allies that are pouring fire into me and zero real way to injure him until his power has to cool down.

And when it's just one last guy, Ashley, Tali and I will play air hockey with him until he drops Immunity.

ME1 Insanity is tedious. ME2 Insanity is actually hard.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    ME2 Insanity is much harder than ME1, mostly because half your powers are absolutely fucking useless because literally everything has armor, shields, barrier or some combo. That said, I never once did an Immunity run of ME1, and I went through Insanity twice. I died to a charging Krogan once or twice, but other than that there are really no issues with the game.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Don't enemy shields already recharge in ME2? It takes a fairly long time, and rarely do you let one get away without closing the deal, but I could swear I've seen guys who are nearly dead slip away while I'm busy and come back with recharged shields.

Elendil on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ME2 insanity is pretty dumb because of the rock paper scissors mechanism of shield armour health.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ME2 insanity was alright. Not really something I feel like doing again though. I've settled in at Hardcore; still has its fair share of hard parts and I die fairly often, but it definitely feels like my fault when it happens, as opposed to "knocked out of cover and ripped to shreds six seconds into the platform fight."

Elendil on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't enemy shields already recharge in ME2? It takes a fairly long time, and rarely do you let one get away without closing the deal, but I could swear I've seen guys who are nearly dead slip away while I'm busy and come back with recharged shields.
    Yup. This is most apparent in the final spawnfest at the end of Jack's recruitment mission, where there are lots of Blue Sun Centurions who actually use some teamwork with one providing suppressing fire so another's shield can recharge.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i dunno, i found insanity incredibly easy on my latest vanguard run. mostly because enemies with defense are a good thing to find at the end of your charge; i did jedore and warden kuril on my first attempts without dying.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup. This is most apparent in the final spawnfest at the end of Jack's recruitment mission, where there are lots of Blue Sun Centurions who actually use some teamwork with one providing suppressing fire so another's shield can recharge.

I just take out the shield things ASAP and use the Cain on the Warden, that fight can get pretty tricky otherwise.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about another playthrough of ME2 and I was thinking about romancing Tali because she's soooooo sweet and cute and I just want to hug her and neeeeeeeever let go.

So I got to thinking that after all this is done, what if she doesn't love me enough to not leave? So I think I'm going to get her exiled so she has nowhere else to go. Then we can be happy together on the Normandy and spend the rest of our lives together without her ever having to give a single thought to going back "home."

Is this a good idea?

Remember to kill Kal'Reager and Vetor as she might fall in love with them

Cut off her arms and legs.
    Boxing Tali'Zorah.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I didn't find the warden too bad. The second YMIR on that level gave me seven flavors of hell though, and kind of made clear what I wasn't too fond of in insanity. Every time I had to redo that fight, I had to once again tear through a whole shit load of guys with hardened defenses. I ended up needing about four or five tries on it and I was thoroughly sick of it by the end. Insanity's generally not too much worse than hardcore but the sticking points end up being so obnoxious by comparison. It's so much more time-consuming when you have your shields blasted away every time you pop out of cover for a like, a second.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly...I never noticed these "spawn closets" people are talking about.

That being said...I do move forward a lot.

And I actually like the increased shields on hardcore/insanity. Things die way too fast at lower difficulties.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    I just take out the shield things ASAP and use the Cain on the Warden, that fight can get pretty tricky otherwise.
    Yes, very tricky, especially since several groups enter the door behind Shepard's team. My Adept rolled right through it, tho, by dropping Singularities all over the place. You just THINK you're safe behind that cover, bwa ha ha.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what class to go with for an Insanity run. Looks like I started an Infiltrator five months ago, and got about ~6 hours in.

Should I stick that out, or grab something else? I apparently took Reave as my bonus power, which seems to sort of suck. Think I'd be happier with Warp Ammo, and the cloak mechanic seems to lend itself to a "wait until cloak is refreshed" sort of gameplay. Not sure how compatible I am with that. I tend to play more of a berserker.

Infiltrator is kind of sucky at the start, but once you get maxed cloak it is pretty awesome.

As for your bonus power, yeah I wouldn't waste it on Reave because you'll be popping your shield on/off

I'd go with a ammo power like Warp Ammp or something. That being said...Energy Drain is pretty nice on a Infiltrator I think.

As for party. Infiltrator is like Soldier in that they don't really need backup too much. That being said, you probably want people who can lay down fire well.

Or just throw in Thane/Garrus/Legion/Zaeed and have your party theme be headshot city.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've played Infiltrator a couple of times, and never been enthused about cloak. Luckily, the sniper rifle slowdown and incinerate are more than enough to make up for an eh class power.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Eh, cloak is one of the better class powers in the game...well...they're actually all pretty good. That said, outside of it's great damage output it is generally good offensive or defensive.

That being said...Infiltrator does need a generally better skillset I feel.

I mean...it's basically...Incinerate and Cloak...maybe Disrupter ammo just because it is there.

AI hacking...maybe a few points just because.

Cyro ammo...meh...things will be dead before you make use of it. I guess you could use it for squad upgrade if you felt like it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Don't listen to those geese. Heavy Reave is where it's at, especially against the Collectors and Harbringer. Bring Samara with you and you can drop Harb before he finishes his Wonder Twin Powers
    Activate ! animation.

Also, boobs.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Heavy Reave is a good power...just not for Infiltrator.

Warp ammo is better on Infiltrator because it increases damage against barriers/armor/health

Which is good when you know your thing is...extremely high weapon damage.

Dragkonias on