As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah but I guess I just assumed that would become prominent in season 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Since neither character does anything during the first book it seems like a weird thing to emphasize. Actually, it's barely established that they know each other, other than they travel in the same circles. It's not like they have any scenes together.

I'm more curious about what they do with Stannis, since he's not in the book at all, and hasn't been cast. Will they ignore him? Or will they play him up even more?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure he'll be mentioned just as much as he is in the book, which is quite a bit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Boo.

The final teaser video requires 5 novices to do.

Is it possible to novice each other? I need two more myself

Aeolusdallas on
    edited April 2011
    Also an added scene that would make sense for the 2 characters in the spoiler would be
    Loras and Renly conspiring to get rid of Cersei and marry Robert to Margery. And Renly does have at least one important scene in the first book that we know made it in because part of it was in the latest trailer. As Robert is dying Renly pleads with Ned to ally with him seize custody of Joffrey, to keep the power out of Cersei's hands.

Of course Ned stupidly refuses and Renly and Loras get the fuck out of dodge during the night

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    About the reviews so far, but with book 1 spoilers...
    I find it really interesting that the majority of the reviews, when it comes time to mention the top acting performances, all seem to be mentioning Ned, King Robert, Viserys, Tyrion, and Daenerys...and of course 3 of those 5 don't make it out of season/book 1. In fact, Ned and Robert along with Drogo are three of the biggest names in the cast. It's going to be very interesting to see what this turn-over of big-names and/or great actors does for the series, assuming things go as well as we hope and there is more to come. One positive I can see is that they should be able to nab some fairly big names for upcoming roles, since Sean Bean and Mark Addy will be off the payroll. Stannis, Davos, and the Half-Hand would be good choices for more established talent I think.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dammit I didn't even know that about those characters and I read the entire series!

This is like the third time something like this happened too!

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sepinwall and Feinberg say that the girl who plays Arya is awesome.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    Dammit I didn't even know that about those characters and I read the entire series!

Really?

I mean, in the 3rd book Jaime basically comes right out and says it when he
    tells Loras to shut the fuck up or he'll shove his sword "up a place even Renly never found"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011

They liked all the kids, Sepinwall even had nice things to say about Sansa.

And then he posted this in the comments

I don't LIKE Sansa. I should make that clear. But she is the kind of character (the spoiled, shallow teenager who's constantly causing problems for others because of a lack of wisdom and maturity) who, on a lesser show, I would be incredibly eager to be done with as quickly as possible. (See, for instance, Erica's son on "V.") And while Sansa is pretty irritating, the ways in which she's irritating are interesting. I don't like her, but they at least make me understand why she's the way that she is.

Ditto for the Lanister twins, when I have only slightly more use for the kind of wicked schemers they represent on lots of other shows. Where here I enjoy their scenes just as much as the more likable characters.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Also an added scene that would make sense for the 2 characters in the spoiler would be
    Loras and Renly conspiring to get rid of Cersei and marry Robert to Margery. And Renly does have at least one important scene in the first book that we know made it in because part of it was in the latest trailer. As Robert is dying Renly pleads with Ned to ally with him seize custody of Joffrey, to keep the power out of Cersei's hands.

Of course Ned stupidly refuses and Renly and Loras get the fuck out of dodge during the night

Of course he has that single scene, but it's pretty much there to set up the next book. Looking at the first book only, Renly is just the King's younger brother who hangs out at court for a while. His most notable action is leaving.

I imagine they'll just have some scenes where Loras and Renly are in the background at a party or whatever, hanging with each other.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »

How could you miss
    Sansa's discussion with Loras about Reny or even more the discussion between Loras and Tyrion where Tyrion asks why such a beautiful and popular young man would take a vow of celibacy and Loras tells him that he will never find such a love again. Then there is the famous remark Jamie had and all of the talk of Reny never sleeping with his lady.

Aeolusdallas on
    edited April 2011

Yeah, she seems about perfect. Apparently she taught herself how to use a sword w/ her left hand since Arya was a lefty in the books. All the kids, especially the Starks, seem to be very well cast. The only one I'm a little worried about down the road is Jon.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited April 2011
    I meant as an actress, they specifically singled her out for praise. As well as Daenerys and all the people you'd expect (Bean, Dinklage, etc.)

enlightenedbum on
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haven't listened to it yet, but Sepinwall and Feinberg talk about the show for 20 minutes at the end of their podcast this week.

Feinberg's read the first book and is working through the second, Sepinwall has not and will not until the series concludes.

They both loved it, although I found it interesting that Feinberg mentions that there's a new scene that establishes a relationship between 2 characters that he didnt if it was even in the books and it makes me wonder if we will be getting explicit mention that

Renly and Loras are a thing
    That's exactly the case, and did you say an _explicit_ mention?:winky:

The_Infidel on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ACoK:
    So Bran lives! Way to trick me book! However I can't help but feel this is still going to go bad because this book is an asshole. Also it doesn't make any sense that Theon said (to himself) "I saw them die" only to state later in that chapter that he didn't.

DemonStacey on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    ACoK:
    So Bran lives! Way to trick me book! However I can't help but feel this is still going to go bad because this book is an asshole. Also it doesn't make any sense that Theon said (to himself) "I saw them die" only to state later in that chapter that he didn't.

Hahahaha, oh Daemon, your updates continue to amuse me so. :lol:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright Sunday, hurry up and get here. I've read the books, I've seen the trailers, and I've heard the praise. Whoever said patience is a virtue never had to wait for a new HBO series. I'm expecting a Six Feet Under/Deadwood/The Wire hybrid.

Really, I just want Stringer Bell, Omar, and Michael C Hall involved in this series. Don't care how.

BirdsWay on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tonight's the night.

Walder Frey, ruler of the Twins, father and grandfather, and bannerman to House Tully. He's always been kind of a prick, but after a certain Wedding he's made an even bigger blip on my radar than usual. An entire entourage had their blood spilled after they'd been put at ease with an offer of food and hospitality.

Ordinarily I'd wait for a bit longer. The Twin guards are on higher alert than usual, and Frey's upped security in case someone loyal to the Starks gets some crazy ideas of vengeance. I'm not here for vengeance. I'm just here to make sure he never does it again. But I'm out of meat pies, and I've got to make for Riverrun in the morning to meet up with a certain Lord Baelish. I wouldn't want to miss out on a plastic meeting with the good Littlefinger.

And so tonight's the night...

joshofalltrades on
  • RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tonight's the night.

Walder Frey, ruler of the Twins, father and grandfather, and bannerman to House Stark. He's always been kind of a prick, but after a certain Wedding he's made an even bigger blip on my radar than usual. An entire entourage had their blood spilled after they'd been put at ease with an offer of food and hospitality.

Ordinarily I'd wait for a bit longer. The Twin guards are on higher alert than usual, and Frey's upped security in case someone loyal to the Starks gets some crazy ideas of vengeance. I'm not here for vengeance. I'm just here to make sure he never does it again. But I'm out of meat pies, and I've got to make for Riverrun in the morning to meet up with a certain Lord Baelish. I wouldn't want to miss out on a plastic meeting with the good Littlefinger.

And so tonight's the night...

Sorry, what is this in reference to?

EDIT: Dexterization?

Roanth on
    edited April 2011
    The Freys are Tully banner men, not Stark josh

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's what I get for going by memory

joshofalltrades on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ACoK:
    I am pretty sure he says he say them die as a feeble attempt at making him seem less weak/incompetent for letting them get away from him, its not like him admiting he lied, he just wants to be seenas badass/someone not to trifle with

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ACoK:

Hahahaha, oh Daemon, your updates continue to amuse me so. :lol:

I'm glad one of us is enjoying it!

I kid, I'm a total masochist for this book.

DemonStacey on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mts wrote: »
    ACoK:
    I am pretty sure he says he say them die as a feeble attempt at making him seem less weak/incompetent for letting them get away from him, its not like him admiting he lied, he just wants to be seenas badass/someone not to trifle with
    It's becomes obvious who he saw die, but he most certainly did kill

Xtarath on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was at a sneak peak event here in a local theater and saw the first episode, they sure packed a ton into 60 minutes.

I think if you're a fan of the books you'll like the show. While some details were changed they captured the overall feel pretty well.

I can't speak for non-fans although anecdotally the couple who sat next me came in knowing nothing about the books and liked what they saw.

spamfilter on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CHANGE!?!?!?!?! /joke

In any case it seems that I'll be rereading a chapter, or all of them. It seems as if I missed a lot.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So is there any way to watch this online, in a legit way? As in Hulu, HBO online, etc? I don't have HBO except when at home and I'll only be able to catch one episode that way.

never die on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish HBO had an internet subscription service or something. Our current cable does not even offer it.

langfor6 on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Try being in another country :(

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • ImmaculateImmaculate Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Try being in another country :(

Done! :D

Yeah I will most likely see this a day later via some "other" channels. But it is looking damn good, if it is done as nicely as The Walking Dead we will have a winner.

Some own opinions:

- Preview was good, bit disappointed with the sword 'ice', looked too normal.

- Was wondering who would play the man mountian Gregor since his borther Clegan was pretty big but it looks like Conan Stevens could pull it off.

- Doubt there are any pics of Brienne yet, but are there any ideas who could play the big lass with the lovely eyes?

Immaculate on
    edited April 2011
    Sepinwall's full review is up. It's pretty glowing.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2011
    Poor sepimwall, his review was up 2 hours before someone spoiled the end of game of thrones for him in the comments

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Poor sepimwall, his review was up 2 hours before someone spoiled the end of game of thrones for him in the comments

Ugh. The poster needs to suffer an 'accident'. No court would convict him.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited April 2011
    Immaculate wrote: »
    - Doubt there are any pics of Brienne yet, but are there any ideas who could play the big lass with the lovely eyes?

They didn't cast Brienne for season 1. DOn't think she was in the first book at all. Her, Stannis, Davos, Mellasendre, & Beric Halfhand are some good juicy roles they'll need to fill if season 2 gets the green light.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited April 2011
    Pretty sure Beric is in fact in season 1

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So HBO has been ordered, DVR is set. I'm ready for this shit.

Additionally, HBO is streaming all their shows and movies for subscribers... I feel like I could completely cancel Netflix and not miss out on anything.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do we know how many books each season is? Because it sounds like he's got the first set

Tastyfish on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sentry wrote: »

Additionally, HBO is streaming all their shows and movies for subscribers... I feel like I could completely cancel Netflix and not miss out on anything.

I would give HBO so much money just for this show, but it's impossible for me to pay them without having a cable subscription. I have TWC for internet, but the cheapest cable plan they offer is $62 without HBO. I would gladly pay like, $30 a month for just HBO shows if they would let me stream it, but that isn't an option. Curse you cable, curse you.

Mai-Kero on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

I would give HBO so much money just for this show, but it's impossible for me to pay them without having a cable subscription. I have TWC for internet, but the cheapest cable plan they offer is $62 without HBO. I would gladly pay like, $30 a month for just HBO shows if they would let me stream it, but that isn't an option. Curse you cable, curse you.

Yeah, it's very much a necessary evil. Which is pretty par for the course as far as cable goes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
This discussion has been closed.