As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L.A Noire] - Phelps, you didn't use spoiler tags! You're a loose cannon!

1565758596062»

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cool! Any idea when the last case "Reefer Madness" is gonna be released?

Also, is the PS3 traffic case going to stay console exclusive or be brought over eventually?
    I hate not knowing what happens because Phelps and Bakowski actively reference it's events/conclusion at the start of another case.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel the game would play really nicely if your first time was with all the DLC cases, since one of them is Traffic and two of them (one yet to be released) are for Vice, which are really short desks out of the box. Also "The Naked City" has some secondary character development that shows up in the main game you don't get details on otherwise.

Also, "Nicholson Electroplating" slots into Arson well and resolves a complaint I had

Endgame spoilers:
    That being that once you play as Kelso you don't play as Phelps for the last three cases at all except for a couple minutes in the last case. The "NE" case slots in right before the last mission, and would give a first-time player one full case with Phelps before the end-game.

Also it's a pretty good case as far as puzzles go, but there's a fucking annoying chase sequence.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really respect Rockstar for releasing all the preorder DLC so quickly. Yeah, it's a bit chintzy but its not nearly as egregious as Assassins Creed II or a billion other games.

Though it is slightly disappointing that the Consul's Car DLC case was ps3 and north america only.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just finished up golden butterfly, and I don't know why everyone hates it. I kinda bumbled ass backwards into a four star by finding all the clues but fucking up half the questions. What is it that people hate?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Read the last couple of pages.

For me, I don't care if I can still get a good star rating even if I fuck up the questions. The questioning is the core mechanic behind the gameplay. Everything else is secondary. As such, the questioning should be rock solid, but instead it's literally a guessing game. People will look you straight in the eye and not blink, but be lying through their teeth, or worse, the correct course will be to accuse them of lying, but their statement won't have actually contradicted anything in your evidence, and they won't have actually lied until after you accuse them of lying.

Additionally, the story becomes much more broken and fragmentary as you move along, and if you're picking up newspapers as you go along, you're getting end-game spoilers that will utterly kill any tension or mystery the game will throw at you later on.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just finished up golden butterfly, and I don't know why everyone hates it. I kinda bumbled ass backwards into a four star by finding all the clues but fucking up half the questions. What is it that people hate?

That your star rating is affected by who you pick despite any evidence you collected to the contrary. Also there was a bug that you'd automatically pick one of the suspects if you interviewed them in the "wrong" order.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Additionally, the story becomes much more broken and fragmentary as you move along, and if you're picking up newspapers as you go along, you're getting end-game spoilers that will utterly kill any tension or mystery the game will throw at you later on.

I just started the game and I've picked up two newspapers. Are you suggesting I should purposefully not pick up any more, or are you exaggerating on the newspapers spoiling the ending thing?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bficky wrote: »

I just started the game and I've picked up two newspapers. Are you suggesting I should purposefully not pick up any more, or are you exaggerating on the newspapers spoiling the ending thing?

Yes and no, the newspapers give you character details on characters you don't actually run across for many cases later. I'm sure the writers intended on them to be foreshadowing, but some of their foreshadowing is basically "Darth Vader is Lukes dad" right before the final fight in Empire.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm sure the writers intended on them to be foreshadowing, but some of their foreshadowing is basically "Darth Vader is Lukes dad" right before the final fight in Empire.

Woah, woah, WHAT?? Dude, spoilers.
    :P

Actually this happened to someone at work about a year ago.

"...blah, blah, blah, sorta like when you learn that Luke and Leia are brother and sister."

"Wait, they are?"

"Yeah, they're both Darth Vader's kids, remember?

":shock: Darth Vader is Luke's father?!? Damn, dude, I've only seen the first one, how bout a spoiler alert."

At that point we discussed the statute of limitations on spoiler alerts. We didn't agree on a specific amount of time, but all agreed that 30 years is well past it.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I forgot where I read it (it may have already been linked here), but originally "Doubt" was "Force". That sounded too strong so they changed it, but it was heartening to hear MacNamara talk a bit about how he understood the frustrations people had with the interrogation system.

The Nicholson DLC is fun, I suppose, but am I the only one who can't get too excited about an extra hour of content? Just as I was getting back into the swing of things it was time for the climax.

I also aced all the interrogations, even though I routinely botched most of them in the main game. I was particularly horrible whenever the game gave me multiple suspects - but now I'm able to breeze through the game's twisted logic.

And yes, it has yet another dialogue tree where the LIE takes place only after you accuse him/her of it. Just really strange all around.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ooooh, are the new DLCs out or is it just the Arson case? Haven't hooked up my xbox to the internet for 2-3 weeks, I think.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Theres 3 out - a vice one, an arson one and a traffic one.

There's still one vice one left.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any chance of a DLC homicide case where
    we can actually arrest and charge the guy who really did it?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So very much want to play this game, but it can't go five minutes without it freezing. I've seriously never made it out of the very first alley in the game.
    It's the only game giving me freezing troubles (even big open world games like Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age, or Borderlands don't freeze), and I've emailed their tech support and done everything on their list and it still doesn't work.
    Their reply? "Well, keep an eye on this link. We're going to mark your ticket as closed now. kthxbye."

I normally hate trading in games (especially after I've bought the DLC), but if they don't patch this soon I guess I'm going to have to. And then any future games from them will just have to be rented first to test before actually laying down money on them, especially if that's the kind of support I can expect from them.

Lars on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's the Kalou case!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good news...

Link
    L.A. Noire Is Coming for PC this Fall

PC gaming aficionados, we hear you. And today, we are very happy to announce that L.A. Noire will be arriving on the PC platform this fall.

Developed by Rockstar Leeds and built to run on a wide range of PCs, L.A. Noire's robust feature customization includes keyboard remapping and gamepad functionality to both optimize and customize performance and user experience. Along with increased fidelity and improved graphical enhancements, the PC version will also feature 3D support for an even greater sense of interaction and immersion within a painstakingly detailed 1940s Los Angeles.

Originally developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games, L.A. Noire is a crime thriller set in post World War II Los Angeles. As Detective Cole Phelps, players must search for clues, interrogate suspects and chase down criminals to solve a series of cases based on real world incidents. As he rises through the ranks of the LAPD, Phelps comes face-to-face with the corrupt heart of Los Angeles: from fallen starlets to double-dealing police officers and the vast reaches of the criminal underworld and finally, the darkness of his own personal demons.

For much, much more about L.A. Noire, visit www.rockstargames.com/lanoire and stay tuned for the PC version release date announcement.

Decoy on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's surprising.

Wonder what the higher res face textures will look like.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's great. I just wish they'd released RDR too.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, how does replaying cases work? I just go into the main menu (the one where I usually select RESUME) and choose a case from there, correct? Does that mean that my RESUME timeline gets switched to whatever case I decide to replay, meaning that in order to get back on track I have to select my first uncompleted case from the CASES list and start it over? Not a big deal, sure, but if that’s how it works, I’ll be sure to only go back and replay cases when I’m at the beginning of a case, as it’ll probably start from the beginning when I come back. Do I need to use a different save file or anything?

I ask because it’s looking like I messed up the timeline when I downloaded the “The Consul’s Car” DLC case. I finished “The Driver’s Seat”, quit, downloaded the DLC case, and then started it up again. I moved right into “Marriage Made In Heaven” and Cole and his partner started talking about people I had never met. Turns out they were spoiling “The Consul’s Car” for me, since that case was supposed to be played after “The Driver’s Seat”. I’d like to go do the DLC case now before they spoil anything else for me.

bficky on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can always pick Load and find your main save game. It'll be the one that's not marked with a (replay).

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    That's great. I just wish they'd released RDR too.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, finally gave up and just filled out the form to get a refund from Amazon since the time frame for that was about to expire. They've scheduled a UPS truck to come pick up the game tomorrow. Shame I won't get reimbursed for that DLC I bought.

Maybe next time Team Bondi will actually think to test their game to make sure it works on older consoles, but I'm sure as hell not preordering from them again. Any future purchases will be well after I've rented or borrowed the game to make sure it actually works.

Their tech support was piss poor as well.

Hopefully someone will do a decent Let's Play of the game sometime in the future and I can watch that since I won't get to play the game. Or maybe I'll look into the PC version once it's at a bargain price.

Lars on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just beat the game and it started pouring by me before the credits were even over. Seems fitting, now all I need is a trenchcoat, classy hat, and a pack of lucky strikes.

I haven't really read anything in this thread prior to now, will probably go back a few pages and read some other reactions to the game, but I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, or last few missions.

Pooch on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Lars I think you might be slightly overgeneralizing your issue. I know it sucks, but lets not be ridiculous

/works fine on my old PS3

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What's ridiculous is that I'm primarily a console gamer purely to avoid the whole "the game isn't compatible with your system" crap that PC users have to put up with (and while it's not all older consoles that have the problem, quite a few people are having this problem).

Yeah, I was probably a little harsh about them not testing their game properly, but five weeks of not being able to get past the very first alleyway in a game I was looking forward to for quite some time is enough to test anyone's patience.

Everything else in my post is true though. The game's going back, I'm not preordering from them again, and their tech support was piss poor.

Lars on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Which platform?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My copy is the 360 version, but there are reports of both consoles having the freezing problem.

Of course, there's also a ton of those overheating reports you get with any big game release where people play for too many hours with a poorly ventilated console, so it can be a little hard to find when people are having the freezing issue and when they are just treating their console badly.

I did every trick I could find for trying to fix it, and nothing worked. A week or two ago I even sent their tech support a detailed email about the freezes and when they occurred (ie. never froze during a cutscene or in a menu).

Now I'm tired of waiting, and my window for returning the game for a full refund was nearly up, and so off it goes. I have also apparently built up quite a bit of frustration related to the game not working, and it's kind of being vented off now.

My 360 is one of the first year ones (though HDD was upgraded to 120gb). It did have the RRoD a few years ago, but they repaired it and sent the same one back (well, it has all the same serial numbers so I assume it's the same one), and I've never had a problem since. It does fine with games like Red Dead Redemption and Dragon Age and such, but this game can't last five minutes.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because your 360 is old.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    About the Newspapers...
    2:48-4:21 is a fantastic example of how well the facial capture works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UL_Lnuwe-E

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    chasm that example you're talking about is what everyone here agrees as the money shot as far as the technology is concerned

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SoundProofingSoundProofing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm sure the writers intended on them to be foreshadowing, but some of their foreshadowing is basically "Darth Vader is Lukes dad" right before the final fight in Empire.

Woah, woah, WHAT?? Dude, spoilers.
    :P

Actually this happened to someone at work about a year ago.

"...blah, blah, blah, sorta like when you learn that Luke and Leia are brother and sister."

"Wait, they are?"

"Yeah, they're both Darth Vader's kids, remember?

":shock: Darth Vader is Luke's father?!? Damn, dude, I've only seen the first one, how bout a spoiler alert."

At that point we discussed the statute of limitations on spoiler alerts. We didn't agree on a specific amount of time, but all agreed that 30 years is well past it.

I was working the graveyard shift one night and my group was sitting in a hallway waiting for access. Some people were discussing the recently released "The Passion of the Christ", particularly the ending.
    All of a sudden, one of the guys started yelling "What do you mean he comes back to life. You just spoiled it for me!!!". The Company Rep was a devout Christian(who was one of the people talking about the ending) and was not pleased at all. For us, it was much needed shot of adrenaline in an otherwise dreary night.

SoundProofing on
  • Options
    SoundProofingSoundProofing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I do have a question though (ending spoilers):
    The BD killer often referenced "Tex" when he wrote messages on his victims. Is this the same Tex that's setting the fires? Were he and the BD killer somehow related?

You make an excellent point.
    It is quite possible that this might have been a nod to the ending. I'd be interested in finding out if this was one of the things they cut out. One thing's for sure, its not a reference to anything I know of. "Tex" was not on the body of either the Short murder or the Jeanne French murder, the case that the "Red Lipstick Murder" case as well as most of the homicide arc was based on. So who knows.

SoundProofing on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just explored Rockstar's Social Club site for this game and was surprised to see they have a map under the "checklist" heading that shows you exactly where to find all the film rolls and landmarks that you are missing. I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere here in this thread, but figured other relative newcomers might find this info useful. I know I will!

SteevL on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lars, I was having the same problem with the game crashing on my 360. Installing the game on the console solved the problem for me.

Grombar on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=143840

New thread for any further discussionsesesses.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
This discussion has been closed.