As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L.A Noire] - Phelps, you didn't use spoiler tags! You're a loose cannon!

John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
lanoire.png

L.A Noire Website
Wikipedia wrote:
L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games and published by Rockstar Games. Initially announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360. L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of 1947, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murder mysteries.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting. The game uses a distinctive coloring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The post-war setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s (as well as James Ellroy's novel L.A. Confidential and the Academy Award winning Curtis Hanson film based on it), such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

L.A. Noire is also notable for using Lightsprint's real-time global illumination technology, as well as Depth Analysis's newly developed piece of technology for the film and video game industries called MotionScan, where actors are recorded by 32 surrounding cameras to capture facial expressions from every angle.

spool32 made a new thread after this one sunk a bit. So in appreciation of the damn good OP I will post that here for all to see.
spool32 wrote: »
It was dark, like the inside of a Derringer. It was raining, the kind of rain that you can't see in the dark, but you can hear it hissing on the end of your cigarette. Across the street a guy stood under a lamppost like he fell out of it. He shrugged the rain off his shoulders and touched his hat when he caught sight of me. I could see he had something in his hand, something I wanted. Something I needed.

And he knew it.

I crossed the street, puddles soaking my toes. These shoes cost five hundred dollars. I didn't care.
"What have you got there, Sam?", I said through the rain.
Houser had the grace to look a little guilty. "L.A. Noire."
"I know it is, Sam. It's raining and the sun went down hours ago. Now let me see what you've got before I call my friend."
"Who's your friend?"
"His name is Colt."
"Easy, easy." He took a half step back and banged his shoulders into the lamppost. I smoked my cigarette and waited.
"It's a game, just a game," Houser stumbled over his words as much as he did over his feet.
"Just a game?"
"Take a look, mack. You tell me..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80

"That looks pretty damned good, Sam," I said, because it was true. Too true.
"I know! We reinvented facial movement, and did it so well that reading expressions can be part of the game itself, not just part of the graphics."
I read his expression. He looked pretty serious, but I wanted proof.
"Oh yeah? That's hard to believe, Sam."
"We get that a lot. Watch this and then see if you're convinced."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO03FXjPY3A

It was convincing, but I wasn't sold yet. Sure, the game looked like an open world extravaganza, sure it was a leap forward from GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, but what about the story? The mechanics? I'm no easy mark.
"How do I know you're not shining me on with cinematic trailers, Sam? Let's see some gameplay."
"Hey, sure, you're no sucker. How about this?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJymtKwNHs

I was sold. The rain came down out of the LA sky. I threw the cigarette in the street and reached for Sam's game. Instead, I got a face full of revolver.
"Not so fast, mack," he said over the barrel. His finger was on the trigger. I didn't move.
"Some kind of problem?" I tried to sound casual. It didn't work.
"What, you think because we showed this game as a 60 minute film at Tribeca, you can just walk up to me on the street and take a copy?"
"You want money? I've got money."
"Forget it, mack. You're going to wait, just like the rest of the world."
I didn't want to wait and I said so. He poked me in the forehead with the revolver. Suddenly, I wanted to wait.

"You're a tease, Sam, just like they said. When can I get the game?"
"Ask me again on May 17th. Now get out of here."

I got out of there. It was dark, and it was raining, and I had a lot of drinking to do before May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhoDM7gEu6E&feature=player_embedded#at=173

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
John Zoidberg on

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait, this project isn't dead?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It looks cool but I refuse to get excited for a game from an unproven developer

tofu on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Uncanny valley at its worst right there. I'd almost prefer it if they just went ahead and made an FMV game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The facial animation looks excellently done. Same for the voice acting. Just a shame this is console-only.

Suriko on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do want.

Going to re-read my collection of Raymond Chandler in the meantime.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Uncanny valley at its worst right there. I'd almost prefer it if they just went ahead and made an FMV game.

You might think it looks bad, but it's not the "uncanny valley"

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Spring 2011 caught me by surprise. But then again it has been in development for a long time. Not to mention Spring is a pretty wide time period.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So apparently facial expressions will be important to interrogation.

Which is good cause they look amazing

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »

It's right before the dip though... It seems like a pretty big step down even from GTA4...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man if this turns out anything like the idea of L.A. Confidential the game I have in my head it will be awesome.

I mean it probably won't, but my hope levels are high.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is....

....Is that Ken Cosgrove from Mad Men?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Is....

Yep. Main character in the game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is....

Yes.

Also, this looks really awesome.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

It's right before the dip though... It seems like a pretty big step down even from GTA4...

The textures could definitely use a bump in resolution

tofu on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To be honest I don't like it either, they have dead eyes and the animations and faces look off, kinda like they plastered pictures on the models.
    Voice acting sounds fantastic though.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Still no gameplay being shown.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this looks fucking awesome

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm looking forward to it if it sticks with what was mentioned in the Game Informer spread on it.

Mainly the idea of working your way up from beat cop to undercover. Playing as the law should be fun.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    The facial animation looks excellently done. Same for the voice acting. Just a shame this is console-only.

Coincidentally, this is how I feel about Red Dead Redemption as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That trailer looked for lack of a better word sexy. Hopefully the gameplay matches. I actually had the GI issue about that game, and when I read it seemed to be really good. Who's doing it though? North, San Diego, or another unknown company? Aren't Team Bondi the actors for it?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fuck

yes

fuck

yes

fuck

yes

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Understand me, I want to like this game. But the people and their clothes look like fucking painted aluminum to me.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I never said it looks bad. The realism of the facial movements stand in stark contrast to the actual models, which are just outside the realm of being lifelike. It looks weird.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks unbelievably amazing and if the game lives up to what appears to be promised in this trailer, I can't wait to play it.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Is....

Yep. Main character in the game.

I was so excited when i saw that. No idea why. But after this trailer, even though nothing has been shown. Im incredibly excited. Its weird, because i shouldnt be, but what ive seen I... I cant describe it. It just looks beautiful.

The only shame is that i cant hibernate till spring.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    super fucking optimistic about this game
    DO WANT

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    That trailer looked for lack of a better word sexy. Hopefully the gameplay matches. I actually had the GI issue about that game, and when I read it seemed to be really good. Who's doing it though? North, San Diego, or another unknown company? Aren't Team Bondi the actors for it?

Team Bondi are doing the lot. It's headed by the guy who made The Getaway.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Edit: I am dumb, it was never black and white.

It still seems a bit different from the old look though:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/trailer-hd-l-a-noire/13830

Endaro on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also I think I heard Hugh Laurie in there (in his american persona).

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow.

Rockstar is just on FIRE.

GTA 4 was amazing. Episodes from Liberty City was BETTER than GTA 4. Red Dead Redemption was one of the best games Ive ever PLAYED.

The bar is ASTRONOMICALLY high for this game.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wow.

GTA 4 was amazing. Episodes from Liberty City was BETTER than GTA 4. Red Dead Redemption was one of the best games Ive ever PLAYED.

You mean Team Bondi. I mean the previous trailer they showed off was from 2-3 years ago and it seemed what they showed off was more like trying to get investors into it, but they hadn't showed off anything else until now.

Personally, the voice actors are definitely top notch from what I saw in the trailer, faces are ok, but it feels like the faces are slightly slower and not in sync with the voices (thus giving a slight delay and fake feel - I know it's a nitpick!).

I am generally excited, more excited than when I saw the first trailer. First trailer (graphics were meh but the potential plot/atmosphere and voices were great.

Schwhat on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wow.

You mean Team Bondi. I mean the previous trailer they showed off was from 2-3 years ago and it seemed what they showed off was more like trying to get investors into it, but they hadn't showed off anything else until now.

Personally, the voice actors are definitely top notch from what I saw in the trailer, faces are ok, but it feels like the faces are slightly slower and not in sync with the voices (thus giving a slight delay and fake feel - I know it's a nitpick!).

I am generally excited, more excited than when I saw the first trailer. First trailer (graphics were meh but the potential plot/atmosphere and voices were great.

Yeah, it's an early trailer, don't worry about it. Look at the first trailer for Red Dead Redemption compared to the actual game. The jump in quality there is very reassuring for this.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks fantastic

Just wow

Also unproven developers can be the best surprises when they're given the proper funding (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Darksiders)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What the eff.

Where did this come from.

It looks fantastic.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I'm watching a different trailer. "Dead eyes" - there are several spots in there that suggest otherwise. This looks great, and while Rockstar doesn't have a 100% record, it sure is heck is above 90%. Personally - I can't think of a Rockstar game I played that I didn't like.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's funny how Rockstar has gone from Original GTA with total destruction and rampages, to the loyal but still morally questionable Nico Bellic, to John Marston and his tale of redemption, to a game where you will be directly in the shoes of the law.

That is if you don't get the opportunity to be a bent cop.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really regret selling RDR

I would love to go through that again

Especially after watching this trailer for some reason

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's funny how Rockstar has gone from Original GTA with total destruction and rampages, to the loyal but still morally questionable Nico Bellic, to John Marston and his tale of redemption, to a game where you will be directly in the shoes of the law.

That is if you don't get the opportunity to be a bent cop.

You absolutely do, I remember reading. You start off as a beat cop and over the course of the game make your way up the ranks to things like homicide and undercover, and you can be on the straight and narrow or go corrupt if you like.

Which is awesome, since I'm apparently the 1% of people who play games like this and enjoy being a paragon of justice and goodness, as opposed to a total jerkwad who shoots everyone in the face.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You start off as a beat cop

I am going to give people so many tickets.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Which is awesome, since I'm apparently the 1% of people who play games like this and enjoy being a paragon of justice and goodness, as opposed to a total jerkwad who shoots everyone in the face.

See, I don't like being a guy that shoots everyone in the face. I like being the guy that makes people pay him so he doesn't shoot them in the face.

A subtle, but necessary distinction.

As for the game, DO WANT!

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.