Options

[Hitman] Absolution is available sans sandboxes

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Besides guns and gear, what does Agent 47 spend his earnings on?

Razors

Nair

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Besides guns and gear, what does Agent 47 spend his earnings on?

Razors

Nair

Barcode enhancer.

You guys already got the good ones.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    canaries

Jintor on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    I believe this is new. Shows some ingame footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3JsJ9KLdI

On a side note, I'm disappointed greatly that this is going to be set only in America. It was nice globetripping and seeing a bunch of different locales. :(

Most of that actually looks pretty cool and I get the feeling that that entire level (everything shown looks like part of the same level) is the very first mission, kind of like death of a showman only actiony and probably also exploring stealth elements.

And even if they have gone conviction, I liked conviction a lot and I'll still find a way to enjoy this albiet on a different level. It is Hitman after all. The production values look insane.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    I heard they said that some of the sandboxes will be as large as previous Hitman levels.

*shrugs*

I'm just picturing stuff like how the big multi-part levels of the past, like Rotterdam or Hong Kong or New Orleans or whatever will now be one gigantic level with some "checkpoints", or something.

At least I hope that's what they meant.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *shrugs*. I'm not going to judge anything until we see a full demo of a level that is not cordoned off like Death of a Showman.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so yesterday I was seeing on joystiq and some other sites mentions of leaked gameplay vids. anything new in there?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ...no?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hitman: Asbolution is the new game, Vegan, and it's technically the fifth one in the series. D2D is just having a sale for the second game, Hitman: Silent Assassin.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    Unless the 3.95 is what they're paying you per hour to play it, it's a rip off.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    You do not disappoint, Carboard.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Hitman: Asbolution is the new game, Vegan, and it's technically the fifth one in the series. D2D is just having a sale for the second game, Hitman: Silent Assassin.

Hitman 2 is the one we don't speak of, correct?

thats-the-joke.jpg

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I just bought Hitman: Blood Money and I'm feeling sort of uncomfortable.

Did anyone else feel really sorry about killing your first target, in the tutorial (the one in the abandoned amusement park)?

I've actually been thinking about this for the past few hours. There's something I don't like about not having a "paragon" option.

I say this with the entire Assassin's Creed collection of games on my shelf, but that's different. In AC1, Altair kills dudes who believe that what they are doing is right, but their methods are so far beyond what is acceptable that it's hard to feel much pity for them (and in general, Ezio's targets totally lack any moral ambiguity, so it seems they've moved away from this sort of thing). And you have to get them not because of money or anything base like that: you're trying to make the world better (and there's also a revenge story in there, which always helps make things seem more acceptable).

But shooting that dude in the tutorial doesn't feel right to me. It seems like an unfortunate accident ruined his life, and he is misguidedly turning to the wrong people to try to "fix" things. Everyone has suffered in this situation. Shooting him just adds to the suffering, it doesn't accomplish anything. Plus, the dude had a wife/girlfriend.

Anyway, I feel guilty for doing this. :/ Are all the targets like this? Do I get to go after dudes who are clearly corrupt, so I feel my character is (violently) making the world a better place? Or will I feel sorry for all my victims?

All this for a virtual character. Man, I am way too sensitive. :/

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thats the thing, Agent 47 is not a noble character. He was born and bred to finish the job, he tried to get out of it in the 2nd game actually. (But that didnt work out.)

And yeah, all of the targets are pretty much not good people.

donhonk on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    no, the rest of the targets are various abominable monsters. i think the mission after next has a pedophile guy from a sex ring. blackmailers, drug dealers, corrupt officials, south africans, dictators, it's all there. first mission guy is just to show that 47 is not a man who is full of compassion. or much.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Most of the missions are not like the tutorial. The tutorial was much more on rails and made a much bigger deal out of the victim's story. Play the next couple levels and see what the actual game is like. But yes, 47 is not a nice man and some victims deserve it less than others. (I'm thinking of A New Life, for example)

big l on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll have to get back to Blood Money one of these days, but when I started playing it about a month ago it didn't click for me. I found it too difficult to look beyond the game mechanisms, because the game felt like a puzzler with pre-determined solutions. Multiple solutions, definitely, and you have to script these things to some extent - but as a result it wasn't particularly immersive for me.

Perhaps it's one of those games where I have to try a couple of times for it to click. I'm definitely willing to get back to Hitman one of those days.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    big l wrote: »
    Most of the missions are not like the tutorial. The tutorial was much more on rails and made a much bigger deal out of the victim's story. Play the next couple levels and see what the actual game is like. But yes, 47 is not a nice man and some victims deserve it less than others. (I'm thinking of A New Life, for example)

While I agree with your point, I'd be inclined to say Vinne "The Slugger" Sinitra isn't a good example of someone who deserved it "less" than others--being a crime lord in Cuba. Even considering what good his testimony would have done (presumably).

Now, that groom who got offed by the bride, alongside the father, just so she could be the singular owner of their Bayou Empire? Different story, perhaps.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I always considered the faulty amusement ride to be negligence on the owner's part.

Either way I freakin love that intro cutscene.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The surprising thing about the tutorial is just how... low it feels. I mean, here we have agent 47, killer of the highest order of thugs, mobsters, terrorists and power brokers. A man called by the richest, most secretive and powerful individuals around the globe to claim lives across it.

And then some random man, in a middle-class looking home, can not only afford those services, he's aware 47 even exists. The reporter didn't even believe he existed!

I guess the father might have been someone, and I actually loved the set-up. It had actual feeling behind the mission. It just never sat well with me that some guy was aware of, and affording, the most secretive and experienced assassin in the world to kill some nobody that owns a rundown amusement park.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Now, that groom who got offed by the bride, alongside the father, just so she could be the singular owner of their Bayou Empire? Different story, perhaps.

Wasn't the father a big time drug dealer, and the husband either one of his men, or otherwise set to inherit his operations? They were in league with the "Gator Gang" and the skipper was the father's brother, right? Either way, they weren't any better than anyone else.

Also, you can feed people to alligators in that mission, so I mean... My target could have been a clown performing at a child's birthday, I wouldn't care, because I'm busy dropping people into alligators.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    The surprising thing about the tutorial is just how... low it feels. I mean, here we have agent 47, killer of the highest order of thugs, mobsters, terrorists and power brokers. A man called by the richest, most secretive and powerful individuals around the globe to claim lives across it.

And then some random man, in a middle-class looking home, can not only afford those services, he's aware 47 even exists. The reporter didn't even believe he existed!

I guess the father might have been someone, and I actually loved the set-up. It had actual feeling behind the mission. It just never sat well with me that some guy was aware of, and affording, the most secretive and experienced assassin in the world to kill some nobody that owns a rundown amusement park.

Good point(s). I can't remember how much you earn from that mission, so I don't know if it would have been a reasonable assumption to guess that he sacrificed a lot to afford 47. Unless he had a coupon or something.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    maybe he was like ex fbi or something?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    no, the rest of the targets are various abominable monsters. i think the mission after next has a pedophile guy from a sex ring. blackmailers, drug dealers, corrupt officials, south africans, dictators, it's all there.

:lol:

But yeah, after the first mission almost all the targets are people you will probably have no compunctions about killing. The first mission is to keep you from thinking of 47 as some sort of white knight vigilante; he kills who he's contracted to kill, and if they happen to be bad people, so much the better, but if they happen to be not-so-bad people, that's not his business. You need this to establish a starting point for the story.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    well put

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Actually, watching that intro again, I notice that there's a straight up explosion on the ferris wheel.

Now, I'm not an engineer, so I don't know if it was just negligence, but I remember when I first played the game I had a theory that the incident was actually a seperate hit.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    I think the swing king mission was to establish 47 as being a cold blooded killer after the "my feeeeeelings abloo abloo" from the game we don't talk about.

Tube on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the swing king mission was to establish 47 as being a cold blooded killer after the "my feeeeeelings abloo abloo" from the game we don't talk about.

Yeah, this is a guy who's badass boast on tvtropes is "I can do whatever I am paid to do"
    the implication in the latest adds is that 47 is coming to kill Diana, handler, friend, closest thing to a love-interest he would have if he wasn't actually repulsed by sex. And I am worried squeenix will try to jam a damn love story in this game, but that's another thing.

Anyway, implication is that 47 is coming to kill Diana, and the thing of it is, depending on the pay, he just might. Diana may be worth something to him alive, but you get the price tag high enough, and he'll kill her, no problem

Rchanen on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's pretty much how I've always viewed it, a kind of "Welcome to this world" slap to the face. Killing people is a dirty business, even dirtier than the stuff that Swing King was getting himself into. Though I've had no issues with grabbing his custom baseball bat off the wall and beating him to death with it in all the times i've played through the tutorial section (having to start over, or on a different computer/system). I can see why you might have some issue with it where you don't feel entirely right about it, but in Hitman that's the name of the game.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I would have enjoyed more killing people who weren't all-out monsters. Assassinating Bruce Wayne, let's say. Not for any particular ideas about characterisation, just it seems odd an assassination agency would only ever get contracts to take down other bad guys. I'm not asking for a constant stream of angel assassinations, but once in a while would have been nice.

Jintor on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But 47 would likely be a pragmatist, right? So

possible Hitman 5 spoilers"
    offing his handler would not make much sense. She's "more use to him alive", or whatever.

What do you think 47 does with all that money? He gets paid, right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would have enjoyed more killing people who weren't all-out monsters. Assassinating Bruce Wayne, let's say. Not for any particular ideas about characterisation, just it seems odd an assassination agency would only ever get contracts to take down other bad guys. I'm not asking for a constant stream of angel assassinations, but once in a while would have been nice.

Outside of Contracts, they all actually do follow an over-arching plot, though.

In Codename 47, all your jobs are by your creator, to remove loose ends. In Silent Assassin, you're the pawn of a single man, an arm's dealer eliminating competition and contacts. In Blood Money, the hits are somehow all connected to the "shadow government" (Aerox? Zerox? Something, I forget what they called it), cloning or some affiliation with assassins/rival firms.

So you always end up going after competitors, basically. Contracts was the only one that had such a wide open chance to kill some good guys, especially considering the entire game was meant to be gloomy and dower.

A good move would have been to have The Agency be the one's trying to shut down public cloning (as opposed to The Firm), because they wouldn't want competitors being able to "freely" practice making competition. It'd give you an excuse to kill the senator and the president (were they the same guy?), for being pro-public cloning.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    But 47 would likely be a pragmatist, right? So

possible Hitman 5 spoilers"
    offing his handler would not make much sense. She's "more use to him alive", or whatever.

What do you think 47 does with all that money? He gets paid, right?

As we saw from Blood Money, his guns are very expensive. :lol:

Rchanen on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I imagine he has a bitchin collection of suits he has to upkeep and update to stay stylin.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I think they do not want to turn people off and get the moral guardians in a fervor by having you kill nuns and puppies.

It should also be pointed out that 47 charges a very high price. 6 figures per job. Sometimes more. You ever watch Gross Pointe Blank?

At that price, its like the main character says "If I show up at your door, you've done something"

That's why 47 seldom works for some of the nastier types. They tend to be cheapskates. They ain't gonna shell out that kind of dough to get the job done when they can ask lowlifes to do it for 5k each.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's fair reasoning, but you'd think a Zaibatsu would shell out a bit for a good clean professional hit once in a while.

Additionally, if you're playing a game called Hitman that is all about assassinating people I think you have a fair idea about what kind of game you're in for. And man, it's not like it's sex or something. Dissonance!

Jintor on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So like many others, I bit on Blood Money as a result of the Steam sale. First order of business is getting this Agent's suit pressed.

That's the nerdy way of saying that I want to optimize the game.

I found out how to set a custom resolution of 1920x1080, but the game won't let me adjust the AA or other details for some reason. In the .ini file, only the following is listed:

StartUpperPos 0,0
    DefaultScene=HitmanBloodMoney.gms

Resolution 1920x1080
    Window 0
    ShaderQuality VeryHigh
    OverrideSLI 0

Supposedly I can just type in more values, but that's where you come in; I'm certain I can maximize this game with my rig, so can anyone provide the names of the values I can include as well as the highest numbers I can adjust for each?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's weird, for me I can set 1920x1200 and mess with all the settings straight from the menu.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I'm not sure why it won't let me toggle the values, but they just won't budge.

So through the .ini, what are the max values I can set for each option?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My options are thus:

e6R8C.jpg

Which results in my HitmanBloodMoney.ini being thus:
    StartUpperPos 0,0
    DefaultScene=HitmanBloodMoney.gms

Resolution 1920x1200  -  ( 16:10 )
    Window 0
    ReadMainIni 0
    Audio_Volume_Sfx 100.000000
    Audio_Volume_Dialog 100.000000
    Audio_Volume_Music 100.000000
    Audio_Volume_Ambience 100.000000
    Audio_Volume_Movie 100.000000
    BlurShadows 1
    LevelOfDetail 2
    Anisotropy 16
    SelfShadows 1
    PostFilterLOD 2
    TextureResolution 0
    Antialias 4
    UseEAX 1
    WantBlood 1
    VibrationMode 0

which hopefully helps.

I did notice all the sliders are pretty damn sticky and seem not to work initially, but I expect you've banged your head against them a few times so that's not it.

You might try manipulating the menu with the keyboard actually.

LaCabra on