As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: June-July is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    That list is very incomplete. It's missing Doctor Lautrec (that Konami Layton lookalike) which is in September, Shinobi, Nano Assault among others. So yeah, it isn't accurate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    The only things worth playing on that 3DS upcoming list are ports and remakes. The system really needs some high quality original content.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars says hi

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars isn't an upcoming game. I would definitely pick it up if I owned a 3DS though.

No but it is an original game on the system :P Anyways, like I said, that list seems to be missing stuff. I thought at least one of the Marios (Super or Kart) was coming this year? Maybe I'm wrong.

Both, actually. So there will be some good Nintendo stuff out there. But I really can't think of any awesome third-party stuff missing from that list. Weren't developers going ape about how awesome the 3D effects were? So why aren't they developing games for it?

Edit: Or maybe there is some third-party stuff coming for it. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    There's also stuff with unknown dates like that Metroid style game Wayforward is making for the eshop. The other issue is lots of the original portable stuff comes out of Japan, which means anything released this year wouldn't make it to the West until 2012.

Rakai on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There's plenty to be interested in on the horizon, but we don't have (overseas) dates for a lot of it. Or even confirmation that it's coming out here at all.

Heroes of Ruin, Kingdom Hearts, Rocket Slime, the new Layton, Layton + Phoenix Wright, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil Revelations, Mega Man Legends 3 (yeah right), Rune Factory 4, Tales of the Abyss...all attractive third party games, but all a long way off, if at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    From our website:
    We are pleased to announce that Zeboyd Games has already made more revenue in less than a week on Steam than we have in over a year and a half on the XBox Live Indie Games service.

Thank you again to everyone who has made this huge success possible!

• Options
    Awesome!

Meanwhile... we knew this was coming, right?
    Electronic Arts has officially confirmed earlier rumors that it would open a new EA Sports studio in Austin, publicly announcing the new division Monday morning.

Governor Rick Perry and several EA officials unveiled the studio at a press conference at BioWare Austin this morning, according to a report by the Associated Press.

The new office will staff 300 employees -- 150 full-time and 150 contracted -- to assist the EA Canada and EA Tiburon studios on sports game development.

For now the company will be focused on HD platforms, but will expand to emerging markets, according to EA's Frank Gibeau (as reported by Joystiq).

According to EA, these 300 new jobs will join a staff headcount of 450 currently employed in Austin: most of these are at its BioWare studio, though some are in divisions that include IT and finance.

According to reports, Governor Perry had been in talks with EA about the move for quite a while, having made an appearance at E3 2008. Perry has been actively trying to increase the game development industry in Texas. As part of the move, EA will seek tax incentives from the Texas Film Commission, though Perry declined to tell reporters what the amount of the incentive may be.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35932/EA_Confirms_New_EA_Sports_Division_In_Austin.php

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Awesome! Congrats RD and Slash!

I hope it keeps growing.

Your next game should be a time traveling adventure with a duo team of a snarky cavegirl and mopey robot. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Call me a fanboy if you wish, but Ocarina of Time in 3D was absolutely worth $300.

• Options
    Yes, yes it was.

Of course as a guy that's never played through it, it was like a new Zelda game for me. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    From our website:
    We are pleased to announce that Zeboyd Games has already made more revenue in less than a week on Steam than we have in over a year and a half on the XBox Live Indie Games service.

*vast applause*

Does this take into account the Kickstarter funding drive, as well, or just Steam sales?

• Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    If you think CoE has J-pop in it then I can only assume that you've never actually heard J-pop.

Regarding CoE and 'J-Pop':
    Most of the CoE music sounds exactly like things that have been presented to me as J-pop in the past, but I won't rule out the chance that the presenters were ignorant of the finer points of the genre. When I hear high-pitched autotuned vocals and electronic loops with no interesting hooks to vary it up, combined with music videos centered on some tween idol, I assume (correctly or incorrectly) that it's either J/K-Pop, Disney, or something that may as well be for all the soul it has.

Assumptions aside, if you've heard the music you know what it sounds like. I find that sound grating and unpleasant. I thought the visuals were boring and the art direction from stage to stage was samey and uninspired. I didn't even enjoy my first run through the game because the choice to remix one track multiple times instead of using five distinct tracks further highlighted this lack of variety.

The only stage/song I enjoyed was Passion, I think, because there were no vocals in the soundtrack until the very end. I love Rez and wanted to like this game so much, but from the minute the title music started playing it was a done deal. It just took me a few days to realize it.

Darkprimus: If it was Genki Rockets, then you have provided me with valuable information about fans of Genki Rockets. Thank you. ;)

Regarding Nintendo:
    Is there any data on the 3DS that may imply people are waiting for a price drop/killer app in greater proportions than is typical for a new console/handheld? I feel like I've heard far more 'Wait for a price drop' responses to the 3DS than any big three system in recent memory but lol anecdotal evidence.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Szechuan wrote:
    Regarding Nintendo:
    Is there any data on the 3DS that may imply people are waiting for a price drop/killer app in greater proportions than is typical for a new console/handheld? I feel like I've heard far more 'Wait for a price drop' responses to the 3DS than any big three system in recent memory but lol anecdotal evidence.

I think a lot of people are saying that (that being it's too expensive) more because the library just isn't quite there yet. I imagine once a few more of Nintendo's titles hit (you know, the ones that aren't remakes of N64 games), a lot of those people will end up picking a system up despite the $250 price tag.

I also have a feeling the holiday season will be pretty strong for it - not only because said titles are slated to come out around that time, but also because I'm sure retailers will be offering *some* kind of deal on the thing (especially during Black Friday), whether it be bundles or whatever. There have already been quite a few gift card/Buy X Get 1 Free/Discounted deals going on, so I imagine those will ramp up for the holidays.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think you're seeing a lot more "wait for a price drop" sentiment than in recent memory because it's a new platform which hasn't happened for 5 years. There was a lot of price drop waiting going on when this gen began, waiting that ended prematurely for most forumers as soon as a big game came along. I don't know if 3DS/Vita will be any different in that respect. "Ugh, it costs too much at launch...ooh, the perfect game! I have to buy it now!"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    So apparently gaming over the cloud (argh) will usher in a utopia the likes of which the mortal realm has never seen.
    Ever wonder what the gaming world would be like without pirates?

That future isn’t too far away, thanks to the advent of cloud-based gaming services like Otoy, OnLive and Gaikai.

Cloud-based gaming companies run video games on very powerful remote computer servers and then stream the game like a YouTube video to a computer. If a gamer has a half-decent Internet connection, they won’t notice a difference in quality between playing on a remote cloud server or using their own computer or a home console to power a game.

If those companies have their way, gaming will only exist in the cloud in the future.

“We’ll be there in 10 years — if that,” said OnLive’s CEO Steve Perlman (pictured above).

That means that hard copies of games and digital downloads will become a thing of the past, along with retail stores like GameStop. And because they only live in the cloud, it will be almost impossible to steal those games and distribute them on the Internet for free.

Currently it’s not that difficult to “crack” a copy of an existing game — like, say, Call of Duty: Black Ops — and create an “image” of the game for a tech-savvy gamer. Individuals can then distribute that image across the Internet, and anyone can play the game for free if they have the proper software to run the image. It’s even easier to steal games for mobile devices. Stealing games for the iPhone is a little more difficult, because gamers will have to jailbreak their phones, but Android users don’t even have to do that.

“Piracy in the mobile space is rampant, it’s 90 plus percent for something like Angry Birds,” said Rob Wyatt (pictured below), chief scientist at Otoy — another cloud gaming provider. “It’s even easier for games built on WebGL and HTML5 — every texture, shader and asset is loaded as a separate file, so it’s easy to find the file and download it.”

Rob Wyatt, chief scientist at OtoyIt’s especially true internationally, where game piracy runs rampant. Angry Birds is one of the most pirated game in China, said Rovio’s head of global brand advertising Wibe Wagemans.
    International companies also have a tendency to “rip off” content and art from those games because it’s easy to break into a game and modify the content, he said. Those developers then publish a very similar game and distribute it, and usually end up making a good bit of money, he said.

Cloud gaming companies had a chance to come to prominence thanks to the recession, Wyatt said. The recession tightened the budgets of gamers everywhere, and that delayed the advent of the next console generation, he said. Had the recession not happened, the PlayStation 4 would be here by now. Wyatt would know, too, as he helped develop both the Xbox and the PlayStation 3.

“That next generation is seriously in doubt, both boxes are pretty much the same feature set,” he said. “I don’t think there’s much need for a next-generation console — you’re going to have one box, and you play it on any device like a television or a tablet.”

There are two ways those services can charge gamers to play video games. They can require gamers to pay the full price for a game — like you would in a video game store like GameStop — or pay a monthly subscription like other online games like World of Warcraft. OnLive, for example, does a mix of both: A large number of the games fall under a subscription while the newest titles require gamers to pay the full price.

The games industry has been pretty civil about hunting down video game pirates. Activision Blizzard, which employs the IP Cybercrime investigation firm, has opted to issue warnings first, for example. The tactics are different from those used by the Recording Industry Association of America, the organization that represents music labels, in cracking down on music pirates. The RIAA’s tactics are much tougher, and the organization has been vilified for going after music fans and suing them relentlessly.

Cheating in online games will also become a thing of the past with cloud gaming, Wyatt said. Most online games are populated with a small group of people who use “man in the middle” attacks, which compromise a packet headed to a game’s server that makes the character do something different. That can speed up a character’s movement or make them instantly get a headshot without having to aim.

“Because it’s in the cloud, you can’t access the network,” he said. “Spoofing packets is nearly impossible because of the speed of the transmission and because all the computing happens at the other end.”

http://venturebeat.com/2011/07/14/cloud-gaming-piracy/

Haven't we had people predict consoles going away before?

Also, no wonder the birds are angry.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wait, isn't Angry Birds offered free like every other week? Why the fuck are people pirating that game?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Our statement is just Steam revenue - it doesn't take into account the kickstarter fundraiser or any of the Gamersgate sales.

Given that I enjoyed Rez despite not being impressed with the music and I'm a fan of Genki Rockets, I can't wait to give Child of Eden a try.

And I'd love to pick up a 3DS, but right now the only thing I would play on it is Shadow Wars, Link's Awakening, DK'94, a couple of DSiWare games, and DS games. Doesn't look like that's going to change drastically until 2012.

• Options
    RD, have you guys thought about doing a side scrolling rpg ala Popful Mail?

The wit and story of that wonderful game are right up your guys alley.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Wait, isn't Angry Birds offered free like every other week? Why the fuck are people pirating that game?

Remember that developer that recently offered a 'pay what you want' deal and still found that lots of folks pirated it?

People do it because they're silly geese.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Haven't we had people predict consoles going away before?

Yes. With the same urgency as those who keep predicting that PC gaming is going away.

• Options
    Kinda vaguely on-topic: 3D Blu-ray disks are sucking big-time.
    If we're looking at sales figures of 3.5 million units in the first year for a new laptop, smartphone, or camera, then we might be impressed. But 3D Blu-ray discs? When half were included in the box with a Blu-ray player? Man, that's gotta sting. Those numbers are based on an IHS Screen Digest estimate, tallying US sales beginning in June of 2010 and ending last month, though many larger titles didn't make their debut until later in the year. Still, if those results are even in the ballpark of official (unreleased) numbers from BD distributors, then things really aren't looking up for 3D. With fewer than 100 titles even available on Blu-ray, however, we're not really surprised that discs aren't exactly flying off the shelves. Obviously, as a growing number of movies are filmed in 3D we'll see BD title availability increase as well, but with the technology's lackluster beginnings over the last year and no sign that consumers are ready to spend more to embrace that new dimension, 3D may continue its slow crawl toward the mainstream for some time to come.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/15/report-3-5-million-3d-blu-ray-discs-sold-in-first-year-half/

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Both of us think that a 2D side-scrolling Metroidvania with significant RPG elements would be a lot of fun and I'm a fan of Popful Mail, so yes. No clue when or even if we'll actually make such a thing though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I read "Popful Mail" and my pants became Popful. This is the best idea ever in this thread.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So are you now on the list of people who say that XBLIG was a good learning experience but you're never touching it again?

• Options
    jothki wrote:
    So are you now on the list of people who say that XBLIG was a good learning experience but you're never touching it again?

I don't know about never touching it again, but it's definitely not a priority. We'll probably release our next game on XBLIG just because we can, but it looks like PC will be our primary platform.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Well, I like Steam as a service and happily game on my lappy, but still prefer 360 & TV for the majority of my game time, so I hope you keep supporting XBLIG!

Glad to see you are making better money now though.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Szechuan wrote:

Regarding Nintendo:

Me, and a few other people I know are all not buying the 3DS because it's region locked. Not enough games come out in europe, although the 3DS doesn't really have any games at all I want at the moment luckily.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    3D Blu-Rays won't pick up until 3D TVs pick up (or someone comes up with a way to rip those movies to the 3DS)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I expect that the only 3D blu-ray I will ever own is my Tron: Legacy disk.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    And the question there is why bother with that one?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And the question there is why bother with that one?

Came with both the deluxe Blu-ray sets, the ones that included the original on Blu-ray as well. Basically it was Disney doing their usual thing - DVD, Blu, Blu-3D, Digital Download, and Original movie in Blu, all for $40-60 bucks depending on version.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    3D TVs/content could not have been handled any worse. You have the big name movies tied up to exclusive contracts so that they can only be gotten through starter packs for certain brands. You have glasses that only work with the same brand TVs (and newer ones not working with older ones). There are various display standards and 3D methods. There are different technologies each with their own flaws (active vs. passive). Asking consumers to buy new TVs and sort through all that mess is simply asking too much.

Rakai on
  • Options
    I have a hard enough time spending $20 for a DVD. I can't imagine spending that much for multiple copies of a movie where the only benefit is at least Shia LaBeouf isn't playing the Shia LaBeouf Role.

I feel bad enough for spending $10 to watch that thing in the theatre.

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And a Crapcom game was never bought again.

And now there's one less MAJOR reason to buy a 3DS. Fantastic.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

Mega Man Lengends III, deader then a hooker inside.
    We'd like to thank you for your ongoing loyal support of Mega Man Legends 3. Today, however, we must regrettably announce the discontinuation of this project.
    [...]
    Unfortunately it was not felt that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria, and it is with regret that we must announce that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project has been cancelled, meaning that Capcom will not be releasing the Prototype or the full game. Additionally, updates of the Mega Man Legends Developer Room will cease as of today, though the North American Developer Room and its forums will remain open indefinitely.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    3D TVs/content could not have been handled any worse. You have the big name movies tied up to exclusive contracts so that they can only be gotten through starter packs for certain brands. You have glasses that only work with the same brand TVs (and newer ones not working with older ones). There are various display standards and 3D methods. There are different technologies each with their own flaws (active vs. passive). Asking consumers to buy new TVs and sort through all that mess is simply asking too much.

Pretty much this. How are they expecting people to jump onto a new technology that has zero standardization?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Welp, wish I could say I was even surprised by the MML3 cancellation, but I saw this coming miles and miles and miles away.

Though, I am actually legitimately surprised that they didn't sell the Prototype version before officially cancelling it.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    From our website:

Congrats, and it is good to see that you are going forward with PC as your primary platform.

STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Awesome, you guys. Roll in that dough!

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    When the 3DS was announced, we had dozens of third parties saying they'd be behind it, they didn't want to miss out like they did in the first few years of the DS. And then nothing.

Perhaps they were wooed over to develop for Vita? Throwing around some moneyhats would get the Vita off to a good start.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png