As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    what are your specs?

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    ATI HD 4890, Phenom II x3 3.0 CPU.

Hardly state-of-the-art hardware, but I run almost anything else at full settings at 40 FPS easily.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    weird. I have a gtx460 1GB, phenom x4 955 3.2ghz and get around 50-60fps.

• Options
    That is odd. Your card shouldn't be getting that much better framerate. Are you maxing settings?

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    yeah. I have some weird flickering going on with the trees but that is a problem quite a few people are complaining of and Remedy are working on a fix, its not exclusive to my card. So for that reason I turned shadows and SAAO to low and off, respectively. However, and somewhat strangely, the framerate dropped a little lol. YAY PC gaming!

• Options
    After some fiddling, turns out the "Godray quality" being turned on drops my framerate a full 10 fps. According to Remedy's graphics settings guide, the Godrays are as follows:
    GODRAY QUALITY - Off, High. God Rays from the sun are on only during daytime scenes. On a low end graphics card this can take a lot of performance for little visual benefit - it's a cool but rather subtle effect. This setting has no effect on performance or visuals during night time.

So on one hand, it will only hurt my performance during the day time, when there's little action going on. On the other hand, there's virtually no difference as far as I can tell:

ff7xz.jpgwcESW.jpg

I took these a moment ago, the only difference being the Godrays settings being on or off (and a 10 fps drop when on). I don't actually know which is which.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Clearly, godrays are enabled on the bottom screenshot. On the top shot, Alan's just staring forward, whatever. But look at the second. He's looking up into the sky. He's all "ohhhh, a godray!"

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    IGN just posted their review of American Nightmare. Gave it an 8.0 and said the story was muddled and not so great :(

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    hottoq wrote:
    IGN just posted their review of American Nightmare. Gave it an 8.0 and said the story was muddled and not so great :(

um, 8 is a pretty good score right? i don't read reviews but if i did i wouldn't be reading IGN anyways

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    hottoq wrote:

um, 8 is a pretty good score right? i don't read reviews but if i did i wouldn't be reading IGN anyways

Yeah, I just care the most about the story and want it to be good :)

• Options
    have faith in remedy to deliver more of what you love, besides i know a few people who thought the story in the first alan wake was 'muddled and not so great'.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I assume AN will be coming to the PC version too? I may get AW on PC once it goes on sale, even if tells of poor performance have been circulating.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    I assume AN will be coming to the PC version too? I may get AW on PC once it goes on sale, even if tells of poor performance have been circulating.

No mention of it coming to PC.

• Options
    i'm sure if PC alan wake sells well they will port it

• Options
    The licensing for XBLA games is considerably different than retail games, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a PC version of American Nightmare.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    That's kind of a dick move, but alright!

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They said in the interview with RPS that they wanted to port it to PC but it's basically up to Microsoft.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Giant Bomb has a quick look of American Nightmare up,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D5oo1fhvcr0

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    To see the effects of Godrays, you have to look toward the sun, but have it be behind clouds or trees or something:
    pho_godrays.jpg

Like that.

Not worth 10 FPS, to be sure.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2.

Thier story judgement means less than nothing to me.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Everybody got your points ready for tomorrow? Because I haven't :(

forumsig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I do.

And then i realized that tomorrow was one of the days that I took a freelance job, months and months ago.

So tomorrow I work from 4AM-12:30, drive straight to Rochester, NY (1 hour away), work again from 2PM-12AM, drive BACK home, arriving at 1AM, and have to be BACK at work at 4AM.

...I think deleriously overtired and pulling an all nighter MAY just be the way American Nightmare is best experienced...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Alan Wake PC getting a patch later this week.

Most important for me is this:
    Better CPU thread assignment for 3-Core AMD machines (smoother gameplay)
    Oddly specific. Hopefully this explains why I'm not getting the performance I should.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Took the day off work today. Love it already, best weapons in a game for ages, and Mr Scratch for best movie game villain of all time? Could be!

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    This game is pretty great. Runs lovely on my recently built rig. Max settings!

I'm really impressed by the atmosphere in the forests. I feel like I can go anywhere, but I shouldnt because of the taken.

The only thing I don't like is I feel like the game is going to be short. And if I play too much right away, it'll be over. Trying to savor the experience. Currently I just started episode three. How many episodes are there?

PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    So American nitmare is surprisingly long, I'm at at least 5 hours in, it's 'cheats' but after 20 minutes I didn't care

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    ben_bot wrote: »

I'm really impressed by the atmosphere in the forests. I feel like I can go anywhere, but I shouldnt because of the taken.

The only thing I don't like is I feel like the game is going to be short. And if I play too much right away, it'll be over. Trying to savor the experience. Currently I just started episode three. How many episodes are there?

Six episodes + the 2 DLC episodes. The later ones are pretty long.

360 still broken, so no American Nightmare for me.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ben_bot wrote: »

Episode 3 is like the length of Episodes 1 & 2 put together. And maybe more. I forget, it's a ridiculously long chapter.

• Options
    buying american nightmare so hard tonight.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    buying american nightmare so hard tonight.

I bought it this morning, got to play for 10 minutes, and then go to work...it was so hard to do...

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    fingers crossed for american nightmares for the PC. Remedy already knows they'll make buckets of money. but I guess it would be a Microsoft decision? I dunno.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    fingers crossed for american nightmares for the PC. Remedy already knows they'll make buckets of money. but I guess it would be a Microsoft decision? I dunno.

Being part of some XBLA promo event, even if Microsoft let them publish it on PC, there's a contractual amount of time where it remains an XBLA exclusive title.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    very lame. I don't get MS sometimes. I get they want their marketing and exclusivity for 360 to make the system more appealing, but they also make the OS most people game on. Bethesda games get the same timed exclusive bullshit, too.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote:
    very lame. I don't get MS sometimes. I get they want their marketing and exclusivity for 360 to make the system more appealing, but they also make the OS most people game on. Bethesda games get the same timed exclusive bullshit, too.

My guess is that they'd only let them release them at the same time if they used GFWL.

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Got American Nightmare and beat it (the story mode) - missed exactly 1 page somehow, even though I searched everywhere.

I liked it quite a bit. Bring on Alan Wake 2!

• Options
    WalrusesInMyKitchenWalrusesInMyKitchen Registered User new member
    Man, is it wrong to say that I found the Mr Scratch bits to be one of the best parts of the game?

(I've got to say that I really enjoyed the new setting as well)

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Man, is it wrong to say that I found the Mr Scratch bits to be one of the best parts of the game?

(I've got to say that I really enjoyed the new setting as well)

It's not wrong when they are one of the best parts of the game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man... American Nightmare is so good! I'm prepared to call it the XBLA GOTY.

I played Alan Wake and beat it a couple times. I was mostly satisfied with the ending, and if there were to be no Alan Wake 2 I was ok with that. Not anymore. I want a sequel now

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Finished American Nightmare, at least in Story Mode, and don't quite know what to think.
    Mr Scratch is an amazing villain.
    Kind of disappointed to see him go...
    The writing, I felt, was kind of all over the place. There were some very interesting revelations, though, so if you want the whole story, pick it up.
    I was conflicted about the decision of the two year time jump, but considering Alan's journey from Everyman to Fighter in the main game, and then his decision to pick up arms against the Darkness in the DLC, him kind of evolving into the Champion of Light in American Nightmare actually makes narrative sense. Pretty interesting, I think.
    I wasn't entirely convinced by the gameplay, though. I mean, they pretty much flunked Game Design 101:
    Repeating levels? Repeating repeated levels? Honestly? That is Remedy's answer to the complains of repetitive gameplay in the first title?
    But as an XBLA game, as a spin-off to Alan Wake, it works. It's worth the money, it walks the line between not revealing too much or too little, the setting absolutely works. So. Thumbs up.

A question btw.: Is it me, or is this game seriously missing music for action sequences? For instance, I tried out the Arcade yesterday, which is basically a slayfest, and where I was expecting some up-beat tune... nothing.

mnihil on