Options

[Dota 2] Old thread. Please lock.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    You're getting down to the point of them having a pop-up that says "right click to move" with that stuff.

Which for a tutorial level isn't a bad idea. Also they could probably add a little "*Right mouse icon* to buy" thing on the store interface too.

I assume that wouldn't go too into the "OMFG STOP DUMBING DOWN THE GAME" territory. But this is the interwebs.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Of course not, but really? If you've ever played any Blizzard rts before then it's the same thing.
    I really hate that type of tutorial, in any game. But that's probably a personal preference.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    well world of warcraft used that same system for items - left click to drag and drop them, right click to sell or buy an item, and i think other mmo's have adopted that as the basic system for buying/selling items

but yeah the only thing we can really say is it's in beta and will have a tutorial explaining most things

and i'd say your best bet in most video games to get rid of any window is just hit escape, that's normally how i exit the shop

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah, it was originally like that in wc3 so

not sure why it's hard to figure out? i mean there are only two buttons on your mouse to choose from

and you can try both freely

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    Coming into the game fresh, there definitely should be an optional super-basic interface tutorial. Trying to figure out basic things like moving and buying items for the first time shouldn't require trial and error.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    GheeGhee Registered User regular
    Fun times.

• Options
    Everywhere I look says you do get leaver gold, it's just really buggy.

Not that it matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think we could have won that game, but it doesn't matter much now. I guess I shouldn't have picked Leshrac but I didn't know I'd be laning with Bloodseeker.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huh. Got me a beta invite.

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    >Random Bloodseeker in a pub game
    >Shit all over enemy team

justanothermondayindota.jpg

• Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    so i'm the best pudge, right guys
    nope

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I think you managed to land one hook that game.

Luckily, I was around to make you look good as I chronosphered the team repeatedly.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    So, what happens if you walk into a Chronosphere? Do you stop?

Also, it hits your team too, right?

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    so i'm the best pudge, right guys
    nope

hooking at every possible moment is the only way to play pudge.
    i blame you. </3
    not really <3

ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, what happens if you walk into a Chronosphere? Do you stop?

Also, it hits your team too, right?

yeah if you touch it you get stopped, it definitely affects your team as well

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I think you managed to land one hook that game.

Luckily, I was around to make you look good as I chronosphered the team repeatedly.

I landed TWO, of course one was when the guy was shackled but it still counts.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    Ghetto way to check your skill level. Go to replays and filter your name. Then filter based on skill level.

I have mainly 'Medium' replays with a handful of 'High' and 'Low'

this is really cool, i wonder where i sit, guessing medium

I don't think this is an actual indication of YOUR skill level, but an overall look that the skill displayed in the game. Because I've got a terrible outing as a first time Shadow Shaman 1/9/2 score in Medium, but an outstanding use of Death Prophet, 550xp/min, 10/0/19 score and good tower pushing was a "Low".

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the skill levels are pretty much a generalization for the mmr (or whatever acronym) range that was in that game, not any metric of the skill that was neccesarily displayed in that specific game

Biosys on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    at least i hope so

it made sense when i just made that up anyway

• Options
    yeah, you could have 1 person with a 6000 skill and 4 people with 1000 skill vs a team with 5 people @ 2500 skill

thats what the "search range" is.... it trying to find close skills and just giving up and trying to match an "aggregate" skill

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    so after playing 3 "days" worth of dota 2 im very impressed. I still enjoy lol but the complexity of dota is nice.

Anyway I've been doing alot of random picking or draft and I have to say, I really like the variety in heros. Just played my first game as invoker and man was that an experience. Outcarried our mid faceless void after dominating bot, but admitedly that was after a lot of help from our earthshaker.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    StokedUp wrote: »
    so after playing 3 "days" worth of dota 2 im very impressed. I still enjoy lol but the complexity of dota is nice.

Anyway I've been doing alot of random picking or draft and I have to say, I really like the variety in heros. Just played my first game as invoker and man was that an experience. Outcarried our mid faceless void after dominating bot, but admitedly that was after a lot of help from our earthshaker.

With fucking invoker? 1st time playing? Balls of steel man :o

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I was terrible at DotA. I'll be terrible at DotA 2. But I just got a new laptop and they let me in with it. I'll be joining you all later tonight!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Drakester080Drakester080 Registered User new member
    I was terrible at DotA. I'll be terrible at DotA 2. But I just got a new laptop and they let me in with it. I'll be joining you all later tonight!

The more you play the better you will get.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dota2Theatre

Dota 2 Casts 3 times a week
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    You clearly don't know how bad I was at DotA 1.........

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Drakester080Drakester080 Registered User new member
    Everyones terrible at the beginning :D
    watch a few games to figure out what to do

Easy things to make you better is to last hit creeps only and not just auto attack them,
    Figure out skill builds
    The item recommendations are decent but watching games helps figure out why you buy what you do
    Also easy characters to play include Tidehunter, Lich, Juggernaut, and Viper

Although I'm not amazing i have a few videos on the youtubes (link in sig)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dota2Theatre

Dota 2 Casts 3 times a week
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Everywhere I look says you do get leaver gold, it's just really buggy.

Not that it matters.

I actually went and looked this up a few weeks back. They coulda' fixed it by now but leaver gold sharing is fickle indeed.

It only works for people who disconnect from the game (afk abandon'ers in the fountain do not get shared). It also only works the first time, methinks. If they reconnect and then DC again I'm pretty sure it does not gold again no matter how long they are DC'd.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    3HSiv.png
    8->

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Got a beta invite this afternoon myself. I have literally no clue what I'm doing. I right-clicked in a couple of places, ran into dudes, got pwnt 3 times, and didn't feel bad at all that I dropped the game then.

If I continue to play, it'll be with some of you who don't mind teaching some newbs the basics and then some.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    So happy Mineski is keeping their insane pinoy dota play going on in dota 2. Now if they could just win some more. Because where else are you going to see qop in every game. And Naga when she's finally around.

stream
  • Options
    TheManTrap wrote: »
    Honestly, I think we could have won that game, but it doesn't matter much now. I guess I shouldn't have picked Leshrac but I didn't know I'd be laning with Bloodseeker.

Oh, we would have won that game. Leshrac / Veno always has a role even when it goes late, and you were doing extremely well. I was approx. Level 16, I had Scepter - which means their late becomes our late at a 90% clip. I knew we needed Dark Seer after their picks, since Bloodseeker and I were the only late game acceptable carries. I just wanted to finish a game that we started, but how could I when I don't have any items?

Ever since I've played Dota2, I have never seen Gold being dispersed (with the exception of the gold/.8 second interval - building gold - kills spread to team) if you "team sell" items. I have also never tested it out on a player in a live game, let alone who I have queued with.

When I came back to the game, I noticed my items were missing. I asked teamchat, and immediately got responses from all except page saying they didn't do anything, and tried to stall the game in anticipation that I was returning. After a couple more attempts at getting Page's attention, he responds when I ask him if he sold my items (which was scepter/treads/wand/shield and I was close to getting a sacred relic), "maybe a couple!" and, ":<". Doesn't apologize, until we got into it in tells, where I decided to call him out in names and stupid banter after telling him to stop talking to me, and he used childish reasoning to say how over-reactive I was.

His reasoning is that he wanted to test it out, it's a beta, had no idea if I was coming back or not and repeatedly told me I received an abandon. I've never left a game, and have never had any issues with my connection until last night. I came back as soon as I could. When I did, I realized Page sold all of my items. It was safe to leave, and I got the abandon, but I clearly did not care. I just wanted to come back and play with The<3Trap and Doc, who I love playing with. We were a full premade.

I've learned that even if I queue with someone from the penny arcade community, that if I have issues with my connection, my items are in jeopardy.
    I'm pretty disgusted at this point. This is an issue for me because if this is the type of player the community of penny arcade condones, then I want no part of it.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You're overreacting. You were gone for 5 minutes - you got an abandon and page sold your items.

"Type of player"? Penny Arcade houses all types of players. Except for the general edict: don't be an asshole, we're a pretty welcoming bunch. Are you saying that Page is an asshole for selling your items after you were disconnected for 5 minutes?

If you have issues with your connection the game is in "jeopardy" on the simple fact that you weren't present. Selling your items is an option to give the remaining 4 players a chance. Having a shitty internet connection sucks, and we all rage in Dota...but, chillax. Shit happens.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you really want to get into this then I'll explain my reasoning.

First off, you were gone for more than 5 minutes. You got the abandon. The reason I pointed that out so many times is that the game was effectively over at that point. The only reason I though we were staying was because we were killing time till you got back so we could start another game. I waited well past the 5 minute mark (and saw that nobody knew if you were coming back) before I sold any items, and even then I only sold 3 of them, which is why I said that. We did get the gold. I checked.

When you got back in the game and asked I was kind of busy, which is why it took me longer to respond. After that you got really angry and I honestly could not understand what was going on. I should have apologized right away, sure, but it really didn't seem like anything had actually happened. Then you started insulting me. The most appropriate word for my reaction was nonplussed. I've dropped from games before because my connection is spotty. I've come back and found all my items gone. I knew I got the abandon and moved on. I couldn't fathom why you were so angry, except that for some reason you already didn't like me. Which is just as surprising because I don't even think we'd played together before.

But if it's that big of a problem for you then we don't have to play together in the future. Oh well. I have no reason to carry a grudge over this.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Aumni wrote: »
    You're overreacting. You were gone for 5 minutes - you got an abandon and page sold your items.

Shit happens.

Shit does happen. I am overreacting. I appreciate your summary.

If you really want to get into this then I'll explain my reasoning.
    We did get the gold. I checked.
    Then you started insulting me. I've dropped from games before because my connection is spotty. I've come back and found all my items gone. except that for some reason you already didn't like me. Which is just as surprising because I don't even think we'd played together before.

But if it's that big of a problem for you then we don't have to play together in the future. Oh well. I have no reason to carry a grudge over this.

Do I really want to get into anything? Absolutely not.
    Congrats on checking and getting it right. What did you do with all that gold?
    I did insult you.
    I know you drop many games, you express it constantly. It really is irrelevant.
    Have you queued as a full group, and received an abandon only to notice your items were gone once you came back?
    I don't have any feeling towards you.
    We have played together before.
    I don't see why you would have a reason to carry a grudge, but giggle at the fact that you wrote that.

• Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    I got my invite last night after much anticipation.

What did I get myself into? :shock:

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Aumni wrote: »
    Are you saying that Page is an asshole for selling your items after you were disconnected for 5 minutes?

If you have issues with your connection the game is in "jeopardy" on the simple fact that you weren't present. Selling your items is an option to give the remaining 4 players a chance. Having a shitty internet connection sucks, and we all rage in Dota...but, chillax.

Thanks for telling me how to react, and assuming I had an emotion described so arbitrarily as "rage".

What am I saying exactly, Aumni? Read what I wrote, and what I wrote, is what I said. Did I say that Page is an asshole?
    Also, if you continue reading what I wrote, I wrote that we would have won that game.
    Additionally, if you read what I wrote, I don't have connection issues. This was an abnormal circumstance, but I appreciate that you told me that having a shitty connection sucks. I am now well learned on the matter.

• Options
    You're the one who spent 5 minutes insulting me then removed me from your friends list. Just saying there's no reason for these antics.

stream
  • Options
    You're the one who spent 5 minutes insulting me then removed me from your friends list. Just saying there's no reason for these antics.

I disconnected from game, and was approached by you prior to expressing any insults. You initiated the conversation by saying, " can you tell me why you are so upset " and " you received an abandon ". I asked you to stop talking to me, yet you persisted! I continually asked you to stop, in between insults, but you didn't. Antics? Holy Alligator Repellant Batman, Antics? What?

Yes, I removed you from my friends list. I am an extremely unstable emotional 12 year old Thai boy. Why would we have been friends prior to that game, unless we actually played together - when you said in just a couple of posts prior , "I don't even think we'd played together before." I removed you from my friends list, and there's no reason for it? You're now telling me what is reason?

Fuck, this is exciting. Please continue.

• Options
    The reason was pretty obvious. Still is.

Are we still angry about this? Or can we move on.

stream
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty clear that Ghee is going to be upset about this regardless of if it's justified or not.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Everyone should watch this game just to see why pinoy (or Southeast Asian) dota is so insane and fun.

Most ridiculous picks and lanes ever. But they are also the best picks and lanes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6kXs9RFFeTI

Page- on
    stream