As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

raping my childhood memories

ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I refuse to see the Transformers movie. I just refuse to. I could start a new thread as to why Michael Bay sucks, but I'm sure it's been done before. What is now upsetting is the slew of 80's properties -- my beloved fucking childhood memories that are being harvested for big-screen destruction.

Currently on the table:

Alvin and the Chipmunks - live action/cgi
Thundercats - cgi
He-Man - live action?
GI Joe - live action

What the hell people?

I'm so depressed. What are the chances these will be good? I mean, the TMNT movie was pretty decent, but I just have no hope for these.

Maybe if they did a new Voltron. I would see that.

ryuprecht on

• Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    RC%20Marzuola%20-%20emo.jpg

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To be fair, He-Man has already had a live-action treatment given to it. It starred Dolph Lundgren (sp?), Courtney Cox, and Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    To be fair, He-Man has already had a live-action treatment given to it. It starred Dolph Lundgren (sp?), Courtney Cox, and Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager.

...And it was awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's easier to rape your memories than to create something original.

See, they can just crank out some steaming turd that audiences will be all nostalgic for, and it'll be box office gold!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought Transformers was great. You can nitpick at a lot of things in it, but at the end of the day, that's probably the best actual representation that could have come about. Plus, I'm seeing a sequel in its horizon. Omnicron maybe?

Did you hear they're actually making a Voltron? I was hoping that was what JJ Abrams was working on, but I doubt it. =)

EDIT, VOLTRON INFO: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472429/

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will pay, and pay happily, to see my childhood memories brought into the 21st century.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nostalgia sells. Plus its much easier and cheaper to make than coming up with something new and having to market it from scratch.

moniker on
  • Options
    ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Masters of the Universe!
    72429.JPG

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The alternative to making movies based on existing properties is... making movies not based on existing properties. Which Hollywood does plenty of. Your problem is...?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SEriously, I loved the Masters of the Universe movie. The new characters they introduced (my favourite was that blade-wielding guy until it became obvious that he was a pussy) were awesome, and it had a pretty intricate storyline for a live-action adaptation of a kid's show.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Transformers the movie was awesome.

Also, and more importantly, all of the shows you liked as a kid were really shitty anyways. You're lucky if a movie made from that source material is good. But this "raping my childhood" is bullshit. Please don't get nostalgic over toy commercials with shitty animation.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    I refuse to see the Transformers movie. I just refuse to. I could start a new thread as to why Michael Bay sucks, but I'm sure it's been done before. What is now upsetting is the slew of 80's properties -- my beloved fucking childhood memories that are being harvested for big-screen destruction.

Currently on the table:

Alvin and the Chipmunks - live action/cgi
    Thundercats - cgi
    He-Man - live action?
    GI Joe - live action

What the hell people?

I'm so depressed. What are the chances these will be good? I mean, the TMNT movie was pretty decent, but I just have no hope for these.

Maybe if they did a new Voltron. I would see that.

I agree with you that these movies will probably suck, but for different reasons: we're all looking at these "franchises" through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

I enjoyed Transformers, but I absolutely cringed when their names were mentioned, because as an adult I can recognize the unbelievable absurdity of some of them: why would an alien robot name itself after an American music style? Or an Earth insect? (x2, if you count scorpions as insects.)

There just are certain ridiculous, silly things that we have no problem believing as children that don't translate to adulthood. That, and we tend to put our earliest memories on a pedestal, assuming that any future reinterpretation or "reimagining" is somehow an assault on the original that we cherish---and I wonder if these two ideas aren't connected, and we have knee-jerk negative reactions against the newer versions precisely because we're embarassed at or otherwise keenly aware, albeit subconsciously, of the silliness involved in the whole thing.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seriously, go back and watch Thundercats. As much as I'd like it to be the awesome show I remember. it's not. It really isn't. :(

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yup, Thundercats pretty much sucks.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ho!

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »

I mean, they're all naked in the pilot.

NAKED.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, if you are so concerned that these movies will destroy your childhood memories you could probably not go see them.

Just saying.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously, go back and watch Thundercats. As much as I'd like it to be the awesome show I remember. it's not. It really isn't. :(

These men tell the truth.

There's no way they can make it worse by making a movie. Yes, they'll be ruining your memories, but your memories were lying to you.

Stasis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »

I agree with you that these movies will probably suck, but for different reasons: we're all looking at these "franchises" through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

I enjoyed Transformers, but I absolutely cringed when their names were mentioned, because as an adult I can recognize the unbelievable absurdity of some of them: why would an alien robot name itself after an American music style? Or an Earth insect? (x2, if you count scorpions as insects.)

There just are certain ridiculous, silly things that we have no problem believing as children that don't translate to adulthood. That, and we tend to put our earliest memories on a pedestal, assuming that any future reinterpretation or "reimagining" is somehow an assault on the original that we cherish---and I wonder if these two ideas aren't connected, and we have knee-jerk negative reactions against the newer versions precisely because we're embarassed at or otherwise keenly aware, albeit subconsciously, of the silliness involved in the whole thing.

My glasses are extra rosy for that reason. I'm right on board with you, I'm sure I'd hate them if I watched them now, but in my mind, these things are beatiful, dripping with nostalgia and beckoning me to remember them as more than the sum of their parts.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Stasis wrote: »

These men tell the truth.

There's no way they can make it worse by making a movie. Yes, they'll be ruining your memories, but your memories were lying to you.

Truth be told, I hated Thundercats even as a kid. My poor brother though...he always liked those homo-erotic man-cat furry things.

I worry about him.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It is true that your memories are lying to you. Most of these shows were horrible.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    GI JOe, however, was not. That GI Joe movie was the pinnacle of excellence in Hasbro cartoons.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    GI JOe, however, was not. That GI Joe movie was the pinnacle of excellence in Hasbro cartoons.

Here here. The movie was very bad-ass.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh no! They remade a poorly animated 80s TV series that was a 30 minute toy commercial.

The new Transformers movie is better than the show ever was.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Oh no! They remade a poorly animated 80s TV series that was a 30 minute toy commercial.

Has Michael Bay really been getting death threats over Transformers?

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    I found the Transformer movie didn't so much rape my childhood as make sweet sweet love to it. Sure they're exploiting my fond memories but it felt so right.

Also I was aghast when I bought the Thundercats DVD season 1; that show really was crap in a bag, they have all these weapons and they never use them, they just wave them around until the two pathetic bad guys run away. And Mumra; I used to be scared of Mumra...

GI Joe is something I wouldn’t mind seeing done right; the first movie was and still is awesome but their recent endeavors (sigma 6 for one) are horrendous.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Treeloot wrote: »

Has Michael Bay really been getting death threats over Transformers?

I heard he got a couple for giving Optimus flame decals; but I have nothing to back this up.

Novus on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    I found the Transformer movie didn't so much rape my childhood as make sweet sweet love to it. Sure they're exploiting my fond memories but it felt so right.

Also I was aghast when I bought the Thundercats DVD season 1; that show really was crap in a bag, they have all these weapons and they never use them, they just wave them around until the two pathetic bad guys run away. And Mumra; I used to be scared of Mumra...

GI Joe is something I wouldn’t mind seeing done right; the first movie was and still is awesome but their recent endeavors (sigma 6 for one) are horrendous.

What would a GI Joe movie even be though? Wouldn't it just be a pretty standard military movie with characters who had names from the show? I can't imagine they'd fuck it up too much, but I can't imagine it being all that great either.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007

What would a GI Joe movie even be though? Wouldn't it just be a pretty standard military movie with characters who had names from the show? I can't imagine they'd fuck it up too much, but I can't imagine it being all that great either.

GI Joe has enough fantasy elements to distinguish itself; the problem is selling this to a mainstream audience. If anything they would likely focus on Snake-eyes and Stormshadow. There's also the problem of giving it too much political propaganda; even if they keep it to a minimum there would still be comparisons between cobra and Al Qaeda. You're right in that a GI Joe movie would probably end up as a fairly generic army film; but if they can do it properly it's still something I'd like to see.

Novus on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Which begs the question, why would you watch a GI Joe movie, which would most likely be a regular ation movie but less violent and more kid-friendly (no blood, no swearing beyond a "damn" or two), when you could watch a regular violent action movie that is semi-believable and not loaded with silliness?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It may not be as relevant, but...Underdog!

Oh, hey, sweet I could totally be into a CGI or animated version--oh jesus god almighty why.

D:

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Supposedly they are "updating" for "modern parallels".

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I bet, Underdog will be highly proficient in basketball as well as crime fighting.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In a Gi Joe movie? I mean, I don't think I can put to words how badly I think that will turn out.

Still, why would you watch that when you could watch a regular action movie?

Pretty much the same thing except more violent and with less traces of 80's kid's cartoon silliness.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Its kind of annoying but, like someone else mentioned, original movies are still being produced. At any rate kids today are probably better off watching these movies as opposed to the original shows.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Which begs the question, why would you watch a GI Joe movie, which would most likely be a regular ation movie but less violent and more kid-friendly (no blood, no swearing beyond a "damn" or two), when you could watch a regular violent action movie that is semi-believable and not loaded with silliness?

Look up the script. No Cobra Commander. No Serpentor. The head baddie's name, Cool Dude. Snake Eyes can talk, but has shitty eyesight. Scarlett loves Duke, and.... ACTION MAN! I could go on, but I'm sure you want me to stop.

Let Your Eyes Bleed!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Look up the script. No Cobra Commander. No Serpentor. The head baddie's name, Cool Dude. Snake Eyes can talk, but has shitty eyesight. Scarlett loves Duke, and.... ACTION MAN! I could go on, but I'm sure you want me to stop.

Let Your Eyes Bleed!

Yes, but what about Capt. Grid-Iron?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To quote the recent PvP comic,

"It's supposed to be for kids, you ass!"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In a Gi Joe movie? I mean, I don't think I can put to words how badly I think that will turn out.

Still, why would you watch that when you could watch a regular action movie?

Pretty much the same thing except more violent and with less traces of 80's kid's cartoon silliness.

Where's the need to updating anything beyond the clothes and some other superficialities? If anything, the War of Terror makes the whole defending-the-world-against-dangerous-terrorists thing more appropriate to today than 20 years ago.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    It is true that your memories are lying to you. Most of these shows were horrible.

Now, I don't support the idea of "my childhood==raep", but I keep seeing this comment, and I'd like to say that just because something was shitty but well remembered doesn't mean that it can't be vastly improved. Just because something is from an era gone by doesn't mean that it can't be treated with more respect that it actually deserves. Given a few months and a paycheck, I could turn out a completely awesome script for a Thundercats movie. Here's how you do it: go back and watch the original. Observe it critically and pick out what is terrible and HAS TO GO, and what is merely absurd but workable. Keep what is necessary and good.

Well, maybe not Thundercats. I could write a good Thundercats script, but it wouldn't get picked up by studios because there's not enough material to root it in reality. In order to be able to sell a script, it has to be rooted in reality so audiences will be able to identify with it.

Delzhand on