As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

raping my childhood memories

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Leave it to the Japanese to create the Cutest. Puppy. Ever.

Is...is that a reference to something? Or was that meant for the chat thread?

Gim on
  • Options
    Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The placement of a single colon in this thread's title could change its meaning entirely.

Also, I am glad my childhood didn't center too much around rape-able icons.

You've never heard of Rule #34, have you?

I was using "rape" figuratively, but now that you mention it... :x

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Leave it to the Japanese to create the Cutest. Puppy. Ever.

Is...is that a reference to something? Or was that meant for the chat thread?

Yes. Yes it was.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MivonksMivonks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The D&D movie is one of the most depressing events in gamer history.

Though I hear the sequel wasn't that bad.

There was a sequel? How is that at all possible?

It was a straight to DVD affair and while being total shite, it was infinitely better than the first movie.

Mivonks on
    but it was so much easier ... when I was cruel
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    I thought Transformers was great. You can nitpick at a lot of things in it, but at the end of the day, that's probably the best actual representation that could have come about. Plus, I'm seeing a sequel in its horizon. Omnicron maybe?

Did you hear they're actually making a Voltron? I was hoping that was what JJ Abrams was working on, but I doubt it. =)

EDIT, VOLTRON INFO: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472429/

Latino Review reviews the Voltron Script as it currently stands

[departs quickyly, remembering tales of messengers and bad news]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh. The one thing I really like about the G1 animation is that they were more realistic ROBOTS.

They were slow, lumbering, chunky, and inflexible, with large shells over all their delicate parts, rather than a million exposed wires and random tiny pieces of metal.

I dunno, the movie robots strike me as far more realistic and plausible than the old cartoon robots.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh. The one thing I really like about the G1 animation is that they were more realistic ROBOTS.

They were slow, lumbering, chunky, and inflexible, with large shells over all their delicate parts, rather than a million exposed wires and random tiny pieces of metal.

I dunno, the movie robots strike me as far more realistic and plausible than the old cartoon robots.

As an expert on giant-robots I can assure you that the movie robots are just as unrealistic as the ones from the original cartoon and that Voltron was always better.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

As an expert on giant-robots I can assure you that the movie robots are just as unrealistic as the ones from the original cartoon and that Voltron was always better.

Voltron has aged well. I just wish I had the metal lion toys from my childhood today. I think my mother sold them in a garage sale at some point.

Man, those were the goods.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

Voltron has aged well. I just wish I had the metal lion toys from my childhood today. I think my mother sold them in a garage sale at some point.

Man, those were the goods.

A tornado got mine.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    garage sale

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    garage sale

Ditto.

*sniff*

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God himself struck out to take mine. That's when I learned God was actually evil, and that the day will come when mankind must defeat him with giant-robots to prevent him from destroying us for knowing too much.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God himself struck out to take mine. That's when I learned God was actually evil, and that the day will come when mankind must defeat him with giant-robots to prevent him from destroying us for knowing too much.

Your comment has a logical fallacy. If God can take out Voltron, there are no robots capable of taking out God.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What if you were using a Voltron composed of several other Voltrons?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What if you were using a Voltron composed of several other Voltrons?

I don't think a robot like that could exist. The flux capacitors, nuclear gyromometers and Saba-Ecklin high-density converter coils couldn't take the abuse.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    The biggest childhood raping was the creation of the new Star Wars movies.

Eh, that wasn't my childhood. I'm only 25.

Dude, I'm only 18 and Star Wars was still a huge part of my childhood.

I'm 25, and I never really cared that much about it.

It was a thing to talk about, but so was Gummi Bears.

Magic and mystery are part of their history...

itylus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know what else sucked? The Munchichis.

Fuck those little monkey bastards.

EDIT: But I would be down for a Thundar the Barbarian movie.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »

Your comment has a logical fallacy. If God can take out Voltron, there are no robots capable of taking out God.

False! If Super Robot Wars has taught me anything, it's that even though no single giant-robot of any variety or origin can stand against a diety, a band of misfit heroes with a wide variety of different giant-robots of every sort concentrating their attack against a single boss can crush him given enough Will and Spirit, as long as you've upgraded their stats properly.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007

shit, I remember the Getalong Gang too.

I still remember the theme song.

And now it's stuck in my head.

Also, that Ren and Stimpy clip: D:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know why all of these old school movie rehashes of childhood memories suck? They forget a very important, key fact:

The premises of these licenses are completely fucking stupid.

Transformers? Super robots from space come down and decide to hide themselves as common, everyday objects, like cars and tape decks. Fucking stupid.

Thundercats? A bunch of furries don spandex and fight furry bad guys in a homoerotic fashion. Fucking stupid.

Voltron? Someone decided to make five robotic lions that totally suck in combat until they combine into a giant super-robot, at which point they can defeat anything in the galaxy inside of 2 minutes. Fucking stupid.

These ideas don't appeal to grown-ups with discerning tastes. They appeal to dumb kids who are distracted by implausibly cool heroes and their assorted toy lines. If you're going to rape a 20 year old property in the hopes of pawning it off on the grown-ups who grew up with that shit, the only way you can do it is by appealing to nostalgia. These films should be dripping in fan service. That means you don't make Bumblebee a fucking Mustang, you make him a VW bug. You don't make Megatron a jet-fighter-spaceship, you make him something that resembles a gun or, if you wish, go with the Galvatron tack and make him a tank. And you don't make your movie about a kid's struggle to get the girl with a bunch of robots thrown in as an afterthought.

Fuck that shit, I want some goddamned fan service. Because your movie is going to be stupid either way, so it can at least be stupid in ways that evoke happy memories of being plastered in front of a 30 minute toy commercial.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They weren't allowed to make bumblebee a VW. And wasn't megatron a plane at some point?

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    *blasphemy*

There is nothing stupid about the Blazing Sword, you filthy whore.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Voltron? Someone decided to make five robotic lions that totally suck in combat until they combine into a giant super-robot, at which point they can defeat anything in the galaxy inside of 2 minutes. Fucking stupid.

That's the single stupidest thing I've heard in forever. Take it back or lose all credibility.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That's the single stupidest thing I've heard in forever. Take it back or lose all credibility.

Still, why bother actually making the lions? Wouldn't the robot form be even better if it didn't have the modularity?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Still, why bother actually making the lions? Wouldn't the robot form be even better if it didn't have the modularity?

Because the secret to the power was "forming the head". If they aren't modular, they can't form the head.

Seriously people, this isn't rocket science.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know why all of these old school movie rehashes of childhood memories suck? They forget a very important, key fact:

The premises of these licenses are completely fucking stupid.

I agree completely as long as you do not say that Gargoyles, Batman:TAS, and Darkwing Duck have a retarded premise.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    WARNING: Sarcasm is present within this post.

Speaking of 5 things that suck until they combine into 1, they should bring Captain Planet back. It'd be especially poignant considering our climate situation.

Maybe modernize it. Lose the Heart kid, he was a whiny douche. Replace him with some bimbo who's from a pop band with like 8 girls who dress all slutty and only 1 of them can actually sing, and it's not her.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Certain licenses are safe from being dubbed "fucking stupid". These include Darkwing Duck - hell, pretty much anything from Disney starring ducks - Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, and The Real Ghostbusters.

Also, "fucking stupid" is not incompatible with "fucking awesome". Voltron, for example, is both. Long have I wished I had dynotherms to connect, or interlocks to activate.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Speaking of 5 things that suck until they combine into 1, they should bring Captain Planet back. It'd be especially poignant considering our climate situation.

This is the worst idea since someone decided to hand Ricky Martin a microphone.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »

This is the worst idea since someone decided to hand Ricky Martin a microphone.

Sorry, next time I'll include my sarcasm quotes, just for you.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But then I wouldn't be able to make snide comments and disparage Ricky Martin.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    She bangs she bangs!

Also..Captain Planet. The power of heart? I mean, c'mon. The kid could talk with animals and it was never all "Hey shark...eat that guy. Cool, we're out." No no...use the damned monkey again.

Fucker.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The radiation caused by forming Voltron reduces the pilot's natural lifespan by approximately one week. It should only be used for emergencies. What do you think happened to that other pilot that the princess (the pink ranger!) ended up replacing? The pleasant answer is: Too much Voltron.

Plus, 5 toys sold separate sells better than just one.

slugabed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also it is my understanding that a great deal of the environmental "science" in the show was B.S.

i.e. Trees do not suck up carbon monoxide, you can't blow a cloud of polluted air through some oaks and have them gobble it up. Also the time they made the episode where some villian was going to pwn the ozone layer with a giant can of shaving cream though manufatureres had already stopped using CFCs as propellant for that.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    slugabed wrote: »

The radiation caused by forming Voltron reduces the pilot's natural lifespan by approximately one week. It should only be used for emergencies. What do you think happened to that other pilot that the princess (the pink ranger!) ended up replacing? The pleasant answer is: Too much Voltron.

Plus, 5 toys sold separate sells better than just one.

I partially owe learning to read to Voltron

(mom used lions as bribes, I mean rewards, for completing books.)

I guess I owe Aquaman a bit too then. I'd give some props to Batman as well but I still have a scar from the bat ears on his action figure.

ALocksly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also it is my understanding that a great deal of the environmental "science" in the show was B.S.

i.e. Trees do not suck up carbon monoxide, you can't blow a cloud of polluted air through some oaks and have them gobble it up. Also the time they made the episode where some villian was going to pwn the ozone layer with a giant can of shaving cream though manufatureres had already stopped using CFCs as propellant for that.

Yeah. There's also some things people don't know about recycling. Recycling glass? Awesome, 50% energy cost as compared to producing virgin glass. Recycling plastic? Meh, it saves a little oil, ish, but it costs so much more energy to recycle than to produce new that no it doesn't actually save any oil, sooooo it's better to just re-use plastic until it's essentially unusable. Wash out your water-bottles and re-use them, don't fucking recycle them, it's a damned waste.

Edit: Except milk-jug type stuff, that has a lot of easier applications that don't require as much energy. In textiles, for example.

Edit 2: My dad is a chemical engineer who works in plastic packaging, and has for as long as I've ever known him. He would go ahead and correct Captain Planet if he happened to be on the couch.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah. There's also some things people don't know about recycling. Recycling glass? Awesome, 50% energy cost as compared to producing virgin glass. Recycling plastic? Meh, it saves a little oil, ish, but it costs so much more energy to recycle than to produce new that no it doesn't actually save any oil, sooooo it's better to just re-use plastic until it's essentially unusable. Wash out your water-bottles and re-use them, don't fucking recycle them, it's a damned waste.

Edit: Except milk-jug type stuff, that has a lot of easier applications that don't require as much energy. In textiles, for example.

Germany had the right idea by making big sized plastic soda bottles a bit thicker and sturdier so they could be turned in and simply reused.

ALocksly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Germany had the right idea by making big sized plastic soda bottles a bit thicker and sturdier so they could be turned in and simply reused.

Yes, that is the kind of thing that needs to happen. Coke and Pepsi need to set up a system of recollection, one that consumers will grab onto, meaning one that's fucking everywhere. That's why I say Coke and Pepsi, because they do everywhere, everyday. And once it starts working for them, others will hop on.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Certain licenses are safe from being dubbed "fucking stupid". These include Darkwing Duck - hell, pretty much anything from Disney starring ducks - Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, and The Real Ghostbusters.

Also, "fucking stupid" is not incompatible with "fucking awesome". Voltron, for example, is both. Long have I wished I had dynotherms to connect, or interlocks to activate.

When I was a lad I had a mini Voltron cockpit made between the end of my bed and a wall. It was made out of pillows and couch cushions. It has all sorts of makeshift interlocks and even a few dynotherms. If I sat forward enough, it had a backseat for my sister. I'd fly her around.. to I dunno, My Little Pony planet or whatever.

I went into the Transformers movie with the ability to separate the cartoon from what I was about to see. It didn't matter much just cause I thought it was a bad movie. Too much human crap not enough "Transform and roll out". The robots themselves didn't have enough character in their look. Way too much misc gray gears and not enough surface area. I couldn't follow what was going on at times in the fights. It was like two magic eye posters wrestling.

slugabed on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    She bangs she bangs!

Also..Captain Planet. The power of heart? I mean, c'mon. The kid could talk with animals and it was never all "Hey shark...eat that guy. Cool, we're out." No no...use the damned monkey again.

Fucker.

I have a friend who is obsessed with making a Captain Planet movie set in a dystopian future.

Kevin Bacon will play the Captain.

Bloods End on