As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

raping my childhood memories

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    Also it is my understanding that a great deal of the environmental "science" in the show was B.S.

i.e. Trees do not suck up carbon monoxide, you can't blow a cloud of polluted air through some oaks and have them gobble it up. Also the time they made the episode where some villian was going to pwn the ozone layer with a giant can of shaving cream though manufatureres had already stopped using CFCs as propellant for that.

Yeah. There's also some things people don't know about recycling. Recycling glass? Awesome, 50% energy cost as compared to producing virgin glass. Recycling plastic? Meh, it saves a little oil, ish, but it costs so much more energy to recycle than to produce new that no it doesn't actually save any oil, sooooo it's better to just re-use plastic until it's essentially unusable. Wash out your water-bottles and re-use them, don't fucking recycle them, it's a damned waste.

Edit: Except milk-jug type stuff, that has a lot of easier applications that don't require as much energy. In textiles, for example.

Germany had the right idea by making big sized plastic soda bottles a bit thicker and sturdier so they could be turned in and simply reused.

Yes, that is the kind of thing that needs to happen. Coke and Pepsi need to set up a system of recollection, one that consumers will grab onto, meaning one that's fucking everywhere. That's why I say Coke and Pepsi, because they do everywhere, everyday. And once it starts working for them, others will hop on.

Jesus christ, a thousand times yes.

I don't why they don't do this!

The energy savings (and thus monetary savings) alone would make it worth while.

I also heard that each time you recycle the bottles, it makes it easier for the plastic chemicals/molecules to leech off into the liquid that's contained inside.

Something about after 3 times through the process it starts to get quite dangerous. Perhaps not immediately dangerous of course, but I think the amount of chemicals that leech off are considered quite unhealthy, especially over a long period.

I think I heard second hand, so I'm not quite sure of the validity. Makes sense though.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Also it is my understanding that a great deal of the environmental "science" in the show was B.S.

i.e. Trees do not suck up carbon monoxide, you can't blow a cloud of polluted air through some oaks and have them gobble it up. Also the time they made the episode where some villian was going to pwn the ozone layer with a giant can of shaving cream though manufatureres had already stopped using CFCs as propellant for that.

Yeah. There's also some things people don't know about recycling. Recycling glass? Awesome, 50% energy cost as compared to producing virgin glass. Recycling plastic? Meh, it saves a little oil, ish, but it costs so much more energy to recycle than to produce new that no it doesn't actually save any oil, sooooo it's better to just re-use plastic until it's essentially unusable. Wash out your water-bottles and re-use them, don't fucking recycle them, it's a damned waste.

Edit: Except milk-jug type stuff, that has a lot of easier applications that don't require as much energy. In textiles, for example.

Germany had the right idea by making big sized plastic soda bottles a bit thicker and sturdier so they could be turned in and simply reused.

Yes, that is the kind of thing that needs to happen. Coke and Pepsi need to set up a system of recollection, one that consumers will grab onto, meaning one that's fucking everywhere. That's why I say Coke and Pepsi, because they do everywhere, everyday. And once it starts working for them, others will hop on.

Jesus christ, a thousand times yes.

I don't why they don't do this!

The energy savings (and thus monetary savings) alone would make it worth while.

I also heard that each time you recycle the bottles, it makes it easier for the plastic chemicals/molecules to leech off into the liquid that's contained inside.

Something about after 3 times through the process it starts to get quite dangerous. Perhaps not immediately dangerous of course, but I think the amount of chemicals that leech off are considered quite unhealthy, especially over a long period.

I think I heard second hand, so I'm not quite sure of the validity. Makes sense though.

They do the same thing with Beer too. It's freakin awesome. Plus, you get money off the next case of beer if you bring in the bottles from the last rack. :^:

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    WARNING: Sarcasm is present within this post.

Speaking of 5 things that suck until they combine into 1, they should bring Captain Planet back. It'd be especially poignant considering our climate situation.

Maybe modernize it. Lose the Heart kid, he was a whiny douche. Replace him with some bimbo who's from a pop band with like 8 girls who dress all slutty and only 1 of them can actually sing, and it's not her.
    Really CP was an awefull show but I wouldn't mind seeing Captain Planet voiced by Al Gore. Just for kicks.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    They do the same thing with Beer too. It's freakin awesome. Plus, you get money off the next case of beer if you bring in the bottles from the last rack. :^:

Ever hear of a growler?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    As exciting as recycling is, I'd prefer this thread be for the discussion of rape and childhood.

Or something.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wasn't Voltron split up into lions because he was cursed?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    It's times like this I feel lucky.

Being a child of the 90s, not the 80s, most of my favorite shows have some decent writing to them. Plus, they're safe for another decade or so minimum, and I honestly doubt anyone's going to try a Beast Wars movie even then. Dinobot's sacrifice remains safe!!!
    I've been watching beast wars on youtube. Dinobot dies? You fucker.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chake99 wrote: »
    It's times like this I feel lucky.

Being a child of the 90s, not the 80s, most of my favorite shows have some decent writing to them. Plus, they're safe for another decade or so minimum, and I honestly doubt anyone's going to try a Beast Wars movie even then. Dinobot's sacrifice remains safe!!!
    I've been watching beast wars on youtube. Dinobot dies? You fucker.

The series is 11 years old. IT'S A LITTLE PAST THE POINT OF SPOILERS. However, I am sorry.

Also, don't watch Beast Machines. You will thank me.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dinoriders.jpg

Anyone?

Glyph on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I..I would love to see a Captain Planet movie.

No matter how bad it was, I would see it.

I'm so sorry.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

I'm so sorry.

You should be more sorry about your Avatar. Re-boot? I hated that show even as a kid, it was bad enough being stereotyped as a gamer without that crap on TV too.

So ideal property for a film franchise then.

Sorry, bitter memories. I had high hopes for that show when I saw the trailers. Largely because it was at least using CG.

subedii on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote: »

I'm so sorry.

You should be more sorry about your Avatar. Re-boot? I hated that show even as a kid, it was bad enough being stereotyped as a gamer without that crap on TV too.

Sorry, bitter memories. I had high hopes for that show when I saw the trailers. Largely because it was at least using CG.
    Hey now, it was the first full-CG tv show, ever.

Also, they clashed with the network that aired their show often, got canceled, came back on their own, changed the suggest viewing age from 7+ to 12+ by making it much darker, and was completely badass.

Also, Reboot is a placeholder as I use a themed av/sig combo theme for the phalla I am taking part in currently.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm so sorry.

Also, they clashed with the network that aired their show often, got canceled, came back on their own, changed the suggest viewing age from 7+ to 12+ by making it much darker, and was completely badass.

Also, Reboot is a placeholder as I use a themed av/sig combo theme for the phalla I am taking part in currently.

I never got beyond the first series, so I don't really know what happened after that. Guess I can't complain then.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm so sorry.

Because 12-year-olds are so badass.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glyph wrote: »

I'm so sorry.

12-year-olds? No.

Matrix? Yes. That was his whole damn point. He'd been in the games so friggin' long he'd gone from adorable kid to a fierce FPS-stereotype badass with a babe for a girlfriend.

Really, Reboot did a hell of a lot less stereotyping than most, and the series is damn good. I watched the entire series in about three days recently. It was one hell of an awesome three days.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with yalborap. I despised Re-Boot when it first came on, but re-watching episodes later it's actually pretty good. I mean, not Nadesico-good, but definitely better than Beast Wars by a wide margin.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with yalborap. I despised Re-Boot when it first came on, but re-watching episodes later it's actually pretty good. I mean, not Nadesico-good, but definitely better than Beast Wars by a wide margin.

Man, what've I got to do to make you not hate me?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Speaking of Anime, wasn't James Cameron supposed to be working on a Battle Angel Alita movie?

subedii on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Man, what've I got to do to make you not hate me?

Be able to buy your own beer.

Edit: And do it. People refuse to drink beer ever piss me off.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ubeyubey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    People refuse to drink beer ever piss me off.

poor muslims :(

ubey on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm so sorry.

12-year-olds? No.

Matrix? Yes. That was his whole damn point. He'd been in the games so friggin' long he'd gone from adorable kid to a fierce FPS-stereotype badass with a babe for a girlfriend.

Babe? With those broad shoulders and jagged hips? She looked like a tranny.

Glyph on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Voltron? Someone decided to make five robotic lions that totally suck in combat until they combine into a giant super-robot, at which point they can defeat anything in the galaxy inside of 2 minutes. Fucking stupid.

To be fair, the individual lions could, on occasion, destroy some of the enemy robots that King Zoltar sent against them, though never the main Robeast itself. I'm just sayin', is all.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those guys from Captain Planet would be more awesome if they weren't pussies about using their powers.

Things like setting people on fire, sucking and crushing them under the earth, removing all the moisture from peoples' bodies etc would have made them much cooler.

Lemming on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Those guys from Captain Planet would be more awesome if they weren't pussies about using their powers.

Things like setting people on fire, sucking and crushing them under the earth, removing all the moisture from peoples' bodies etc would have made them much cooler.
    You forgot how the power of love could be used :P.
    The guy could just force the bad guys who are messing up Africa to get AIDs from the natives....Im a bad person for saying that right?

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The more they make shitty movies based on robots that fought each other, the less likely it becomes that they will keep on making shit like the theatrical version of Bratz. Giant robots blowing each other up is always worth about five minutes of action while shit like Bratz are just boring.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm so sorry.

12-year-olds? No.

Babe? With those broad shoulders and jagged hips? She looked like a tranny.

This may or may not be true.

but still.

yalborap on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Speaking of Anime, wasn't James Cameron supposed to be working on a Battle Angel Alita movie?

You mean Battle Angel.

Could be a good action movie. Wasnt he behind that series that made Jessica Alba famous? (I never really got into it - but I wasnt surprised when he started the Battle Angel project...)

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

You mean Battle Angel.

Could be a good action movie. Wasnt he behind that series that made Jessica Alba famous? (I never really got into it - but I wasnt surprised when he started the Battle Angel project...)

yes

Also Terminator 1 and 2:JD

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dinoriders.jpg

Anyone?

my childhood...

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

ReBoot was a very good show and shouldn't be judged by its' over-censored first season. (Though the first season, was quite good in itself.)

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threads like this make me realize how odd my tastes were, even as a kid. I only sporadically watched Thundercats, G.I. Joe, and Transformers, but I absolutely loved Silverhawks. I think I and the mainstream intersected more with He Man and The Real Ghostbusters. Good thing that last one is nigh-impossible ot make another move out of at this point.

Oh, and another D&D movie is apparently in the works. This one, though, is animated and based directly on the Dragonlance novels. Keifer Sutherland is voice Raistlin, which is damn awesome. Less awesome is that this information was in the second to last issue of Dragon magazine ever. Now, that's one hell of a punch to my inner child's gut.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    logo_small.jpg

I don't care what you say about the show, that has to be the coolest logo of all time. I have good memories of the show because I and my cousins used to re-enact them every Saturday... we loved it. I recently got all seven seasons and watched through most of them, and yeah, I have to say that it hasn't aged well. It's still no more ridiculous than Transformers, however. But I'm not sure how I feel about a live-action film... I love the show too much. Does anyone remember the excellent, energetic hypes-you-up intro music?

Ahlam%20Dahabiya%202.jpg

What about this one? Mysterious Cities of Gold was a French show that was translated into English. It had one of the silliest yet coolest vehicles of all time - the Golden Condor -

Image71.jpg

It was about three children being taken from Europe (mostly) to the Americas, in search of the fabled lost cities of gold. They were accompanied by two bumbling sailors who were commanded by a mercenary captain, who nobody felt they could really trust. It also had an excellent theme tune.

wallpaper_3_800.jpg

Ah, Ulysses 31... what a show. Of all the shows I enjoyed in my childhood during the 80's, this is the one I would feel most confident about a remake. It was about the titular Ulysses, a man who commanded a ship in the shape of an eye (I can never remember the name of the ship) - and, in fact, it had an eye at it's centre. The ship had a voice and personality of it's own, Sherka I think she was called. This ship was pretty large, and had a proportionately large crew. However, Ulysses' son Telemachus was to be sacrificed to the Cyclops (in this 31st century, the Cyclops was a tall metal tower with a laser eye at the top, and came packaged with it's own violent human worshippers). Defying the Greek Gods, Ulysses rescued his son and destroyed the Cyclops. Angered, Zeus transported the ship to an unknown sector of space, and had the crew suspended in a form of cryo sleep. They were lost, and the crew were doomed to remain like that for all time, unless Ulysses could find the Kingdom of Hades.

Looking at it now, it seems to copy Star Wars a lot - Ulysses had an energy sword and a similar shield. Interestingly, they seemed able to breathe normally in space (yeah, sure). Mixing science-fiction with ancient Greek deities is a weird idea, but it worked. This was an excellent show. I remember being terrified by one of the Gods in particular. Like the previous two cartoons I mentioned, it had a strong, memorable theme tune.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't care what you say about the show, that has to be the coolest logo of all time. I have good memories of the show because I and my cousins used to re-enact them every Saturday... we loved it. I recently got all seven seasons and watched through most of them, and yeah, I have to say that it hasn't aged well. It's still no more ridiculous than Transformers, however. But I'm not sure how I feel about a live-action film... I love the show too much. Does anyone remember the excellent, energetic hypes-you-up intro music?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything more awesome than vehicles launching out of buildings, especially with music.

jothki on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only thing keeping these cartoons "holy" are the fact that we saw them as kids. Watch them now and you'll see. Thundercats? Unbelieveable Voice Overacting. GI Joe? 2 Frames per second. He-Man? Oh, it was so... unmanly. The list goes on and on.

I saw Transformers. I must admit, it was better than I thought it would be. There was a little too much screen time for Tyrese and Co, Optimus Prime had a bit too much lip on him, but otherwise it was ok. I, too, thought it could use more "Transform and roll out" time.

GI Joe would never be made as a movie these days. It wouldn't be viewed as what it should be viewed as, which is a kick ass bad guys vs good guys with guns, tanks, planes, and bases. There would be all types of political commentary (Corbra are terrorists, after all) and it wouldn't have any of the ubsurdity that made the cartoon great (Quick Kick, an asian martial arts master, is going into battle with no guns, no shirt, and no shoes. He's just kicking his way through waves of troops).

Plus, they wouldn't have Destro as a black guy.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moridin wrote: »

needs more ninjas, pirates and zombies.

Image.55267.1.1118435121.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    needs more ninjas, pirates and zombies.
    Image.55267.1.1118435121.jpg

Come on... give me a challenge!

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember Cities of Gold! Yeah, I loved the theme tune, too! Unfortunately I missed some episodes and then I had trouble following the story... I'd love to actually see the whole thing someday and find out how it all ended...

...and I remember seeing a few episodes of Ulysses 31, too, and thinking it was great... but I think this might have been at around the time that my parents decided to get rid of the television. :(

itylus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    itylus wrote: »
    my parents decided to get rid of the television. :(

Isn't that kind of behavior considered child abuse? People should do time for that shit.

shryke on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    Ahlam%20Dahabiya%202.jpg

What about this one? Mysterious Cities of Gold was a French show that was translated into English. It had one of the silliest yet coolest vehicles of all time - the Golden Condor -

This was shown on the closed circuit television at an anime convention I attended last year. I was sitting on the bed, eating some lunch and said "Wow. This one is old. Early 80s, at the latest."

"Wait a minute. I remember this one!"
    "Oh, my God. How old am I?!"

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cloverfield refreshed my chilhood memories: To hell with Captain Planet, Inhumanoids FTW.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo