Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I can't understand how people actually believe Bioware has something planned/the indoctrination theory is real.

It's pure wishful thinking by disappointed fans.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. There are quite a few lightweight ARs.

But pistols do pack a punch. Usually whether or not I use an AR or Pistol is if I feel like it or not.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Holy Ridiculousness, Batman. The N7 Valiant absolutely crushes. It hits about as hard as the Black Widow, but reloads about as fast as the Avenger assault rifle. It doesn't have an innate penetration ability, but my second attachment is always the Piercing Mod, anyway. So glad I pulled this thing out of the Commendation Pack this morning. I just went 3 games in a row with 20+ headshots, and in the last game I played, I was up over 70,000 points. Which is pretty rare for me; as an Infiltrator, anyway.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I have found my one hang up in multiplayer is weight. I just can't bring myself to be less than +100%. I guess it comes from my Shep being an engy and slinging powers like a newjack. I keep getting rare shotguns but they're all so damn heavy I just feel like I'm gimping myself by not being able to throw powers constantly. I mean, the powers are actually doing things like crippling enemies (overload? overload.) and killing armor (warp? incinerate). Do people find that these builds I see people rocking with both a sniper and a shotty actually do well? Even on my sniper characters I only carry the rifle.

I feel you on the gimping part. My Engineers are monstrously powerful simply because I can pump out overloads(or drain shields)/incinerate/drones every 2.5ish seconds with a pistol. Overload/drain shields are ridiculously useful. Switching up to a sniper rifle means doubling that time and thats almost acceptable, but I will not carry a backup weapon as it adds just to much weight at that point. Same thing with have a shotty on a Vanguard. The powers are more useful than the shotgun, but damnit I want the shotgun!

It's funny cause I got a Crusader last night and I didn't even try it. I just looked at the weight and said, "Yeah, no idea which character I would use that on." And now I read the post this morning and dudes are saying its crazy good. Maybe I'm just undervalueing these heavy weapons over powers (Arc Pistol weighs as much as a rifle!). But I just don't see it.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Question for you engineers! Overload vs Drain Shields! Which do you prefer and why? Im finding Drain Shields with the aoe extension absolutely bat shit insane vs the geth. Like killing groups of 3 in 2 shots insane. But I never speced my humans overload to hit multiple targets so maybe its got its own perks?
    Other things:
    I really didn't like the organic stun in the overload tree because they get stunned anyways when they don't have shields but they don't fall to the ground making them much easier targets.
    Also, Drones seems to be far superior to the Salarins decoy. The drone can move and can be summoned at long range. I guess if the decoy actually shot something at range it would work better.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Holy Ridiculousness, Batman. The N7 Valiant absolutely crushes. It hits about as hard as the Black Widow, but reloads about as fast as the Avenger assault rifle. It doesn't have an innate penetration ability, but my second attachment is always the Piercing Mod, anyway. So glad I pulled this thing out of the Commendation Pack this morning. I just went 3 games in a row with 20+ headshots, and in the last game I played, I was up over 70,000 points. Which is pretty rare for me; as an Infiltrator, anyway.

I'm gonna have to try this out tonight. The stats didn't look very good but everyone is praising the hell out of it, so yeah :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    What's the reason for everyone in the ME universe speaking English? I'm sure it was covered in an ME1 codex or something, but I really can't remember it.

Is it Farscape's translator microbes or what?

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I have found my one hang up in multiplayer is weight. I just can't bring myself to be less than +100%. I guess it comes from my Shep being an engy and slinging powers like a newjack. I keep getting rare shotguns but they're all so damn heavy I just feel like I'm gimping myself by not being able to throw powers constantly. I mean, the powers are actually doing things like crippling enemies (overload? overload.) and killing armor (warp? incinerate). Do people find that these builds I see people rocking with both a sniper and a shotty actually do well? Even on my sniper characters I only carry the rifle.

I feel you on the gimping part. My Engineers are monstrously powerful simply because I can pump out overloads(or drain shields)/incinerate/drones every 2.5ish seconds with a pistol. Overload/drain shields are ridiculously useful. Switching up to a sniper rifle means doubling that time and thats almost acceptable, but I will not carry a backup weapon as it adds just to much weight at that point. Same thing with have a shotty on a Vanguard. The powers are more useful than the shotgun, but damnit I want the shotgun!

I think powers for damage and CC are more op than weapons too. So having more powers faster is better than tons of guns.
    This unfortunately is why my turain soldier is so lack luster. The whole shoot a lot faster seems good in theory, but really just means I chew though my ammo quickly for very little gain. Concussive shot dosn't seem to bring a whole lot to the table, not when the elemental attacks to so much more.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I'm gonna have to try this out tonight. The stats didn't look very good but everyone is praising the hell out of it, so yeah :P

The stats on the chart don't look too hot. I wasn't impressed when I was comparing it to my Widow / Black Widow, at all. Once I started playing with it, though, I immediately fell in love. It says its weaker than the Black Widow, but it hits about the same, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the Black Widow has a higher damage value because of its natural penetration quality? It's also really, really light, compared to wither of the Widows. On my Salarian Infiltrator, I've got about a 52% recharge with my Widow, 40% or something with the Black Widow, and about 110% with the N7 Valiant. It fires quickly enough that all 3 shots will have the Cloak damage boost, too. It's taking down Brutes in about 6-7 shots on Bronze.

I'll need to test it on Silver and Gold, once some of my friends come on, after lunch, but right now, I'm really happy with it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    More than that. Lots of stuff that has no reason to be written in English is (like Liara's degree from a university not on Earth in LotSB). Did they ever address it?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    What's the reason for everyone in the ME universe speaking English? I'm sure it was covered in an ME1 codex or something, but I really can't remember it.

There's some kind of automatic translator going on. In ME2, Thane calls you something in his language, and Shepard asks if her translator's malfunctioning.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I believe it's implied there is some kind of translator somewhere. I think Shepard mentions it when talking to Thane in ME2 and he says something in crazy Drell language.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Question for you engineers! Overload vs Drain Shields! Which do you prefer and why? Im finding Drain Shields with the aoe extension absolutely bat shit insane vs the geth. Like killing groups of 3 in 2 shots insane. But I never speced my humans overload to hit multiple targets so maybe its got its own perks?
    Other things:
    I really didn't like the organic stun in the overload tree because they get stunned anyways when they don't have shields but they don't fall to the ground making them much easier targets.
    Also, Drones seems to be far superior to the Salarins decoy. The drone can move and can be summoned at long range. I guess if the decoy actually shot something at range it would work better.

I actually like the 2 jump overload better. I tend to spec for 2 jumps but take the damage to shield /barrier for the final. It's just the stopping power that I like better. And the jump range for the overload is rediculous. It jumps a lot farther than the aoe spec of drain. I will say though, that I'd probably like drain better vs. geth just because it's constantly useful for free shields.

Drones are superior. But decoy is great for flanking shinanigans. I just wish it was more of an illusion/holo idea instead of a hard dummie to be shot. Like, set duration and can't be killed. Because even now, its not a guarentee that the enemy will fire on it instead of you.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Neli wrote: »
    Mass Effect is not a subtle game.
    All these indoctrination theory details would only ever be detected by nerds going over each frame of the game to find something suitable for their explanations. If there was a real indoctrination situation going on in the ending, we would be hammered over the heads with it, not get Buzz Aldrin saying everything turned out okay MY SWEET

Or they sopranos'ed it up in the final chapter and left us the tiniest clues to one definitive conclusion.

Yes this seems like a totally realistic and fair assumption
    "not only did we make the ending of ME3 purposefully bad, we also made it untrue! Find out the real, satisfying TRUE ending in a DLC!"

It would be the dumbest shit they've done. It would be much better to just release a DLC that fleshes out the ending with more details of the aftermath, not one that overwrites the ending entirely.

they arent. Some of the alien races have a tinny sound applied to thier voice- thats translation occuring realtime.

Turians? Quarions? Volus?

Asari seem to speak english somehow if thats true though. I always thought theres was a translator of some sort.
    Least I thought.

Could be space magggiccccccccc.

I think powers for damage and CC are more op than weapons too. So having more powers faster is better than tons of guns.
    This unfortunately is why my turain soldier is so lack luster. The whole shoot a lot faster seems good in theory, but really just means I chew though my ammo quickly for very little gain. Concussive shot dosn't seem to bring a whole lot to the table, not when the elemental attacks to so much more.

Soldiers in general just dont bring enough to the table. Chain overloads can cripple groups. Biotic explosions hurt like hell and knock down.

Soldiers have so little to help.

I played with a pubbie last night that was an adept. Level 12. Only power he used was shockwave. And he had no concept of distance. Literally he would wiff by miles.... and just keep throwing then as soons a s cooldowns were over. Maddening!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mass Effect is not a subtle game.
    All these indoctrination theory details would only ever be detected by nerds going over each frame of the game to find something suitable for their explanations. If there was a real indoctrination situation going on in the ending, we would be hammered over the heads with it, not get Buzz Aldrin saying everything turned out okay MY SWEET

Or they sopranos'ed it up in the final chapter and left us the tiniest clues to one definitive conclusion.

Yes this seems like a totally realistic and fair assumption :D
    "not only did we make the ending of ME3 purposefully bad, we also made it untrue! Find out the real, satisfying TRUE ending in a DLC!"

It would be the dumbest shit they've done and seems incredibly far fetched to me. It would be much better to just release a DLC that fleshes out the ending with more details of the aftermath, not one that overwrites the ending entirely.

There's a couple issues with a DLC that adds post-ending missions, as opposed to the ME2 DLC which mostly could be done pre or post ending.
    1. Shepard is probably dead, so DLC with a new main character, yay.
    2. Last save game for a lot of people would be pre-Cerberus, so to get to any explicit post-ending mission, you'd have to replay a big chunk of the game and ride the elevator again.

Did Bioware make any statements about their DLC plans for ME3? My personal opinion is that the ME games don't make for great platforms for adding in DLC. It's fun enough stuff and I got my money's worth out of the ME2 DLC, but nothing like the bang for the buck that OWB gave me.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Other things:

I love love love Overload

I took Chain, Stun, Chain, and the CC is insanely good

Damage is a bit lower with that spec, but I can CC groups of enemies faster than they recover from the stun.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Bobble wrote: »

My engineer has an Avenger VIII or so and he's at 194% recharge. I figured that's good enough and a bit better as a weapon than the pistol.

The only rifle I have is the Avenger II. I have the default pistol at X. So my balance here is a bit off center. Thing is that with a pistol I can hammer the trigger fast enough to emulate shooting a rifle and its a hell of lot more accurate to boot. Although I will definitely check out the rifles if I ever get one that isn't crap.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Other things:

I love love love Overload

I took Chain, Stun, Chain, and the CC is insanely good

Damage is a bit lower with that spec, but I can CC groups of enemies faster than they recover from the stun.

Its even better with two guys spamming it. You are the sandmen. You make them all fall over and sleep.

its completly usless at high level but a krogan sentinel specced for no powers (ie tech armor is specced all shields - no speccing into incinerate- lift grenades do not have cooldown so it doesnt matter. ) And all rage melee crushing is retarded. 2/3 punching brutes to death. Kills through the roof and your melee kill send bodies into the stratisphere.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah spamming powers rocks. Throw is my favourite ability in the game precisely for that reason, though Chain Overload isn't too shabby either.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular

I got this and put it on my newly promoted krogan sentinel along with the claymore

We went up against cerberus next time

Bitches hit the floor faster than Shepard after 3 drinks in Purgatory

• Options
    What does promoting do?

• Options
    I played with a pubbie last night that was an adept. Level 12. Only power he used was shockwave. And he had no concept of distance. Literally he would wiff by miles.... and just keep throwing then as soons a s cooldowns were over. Maddening!

Hey, I resemble that remark! Except I'll also miss with powers other than shockwave.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Hey, I resemble that remark! Except I'll also miss with powers other than shockwave.

no i mean from sniper rifles distance tossing out shockwave. You cant seriously do that often right?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

It's funny cause I got a Crusader last night and I didn't even try it. I just looked at the weight and said, "Yeah, no idea which character I would use that on." And now I read the post this morning and dudes are saying its crazy good. Maybe I'm just undervalueing these heavy weapons over powers (Arc Pistol weighs as much as a rifle!). But I just don't see it.

I tried it out on my Vanguard just now.
    Yeah, the accuracy is amazing and the damage, fire rate, magazine size etc are all good.
    But it's just too heavy, Charge was on a 7 second cooldown or so. Way too long at least.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    What does promoting do?

Gives you some war assets in single player and lets you play that class from level 1 again.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

My engineer has an Avenger VIII or so and he's at 194% recharge. I figured that's good enough and a bit better as a weapon than the pistol.

The only rifle I have is the Avenger II. I have the default pistol at X. So my balance here is a bit off center. Thing is that with a pistol I can hammer the trigger fast enough to emulate shooting a rifle and its a hell of lot more accurate to boot. Although I will definitely check out the rifles if I ever get one that isn't crap.

That's pretty much why I use my pistol too. I pretty much just started playing this week, and all I have is Vindicator and default rifle, but the pistol works better for me, since I try to always go for headshots.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Soldiers in general just dont bring enough to the table. Chain overloads can cripple groups. Biotic explosions hurt like hell and knock down.

Well, Krogan soldier can't mez, it's true, but I feel they're at lease as useful as Vanguards. Maybe more, since my Krogan can one-hit kill almost everything with heavy melee. Especially if he's blood ragin' it up.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well, Krogan soldier can't mez, it's true, but I feel they're at lease as useful as Vanguards. Maybe more, since my Krogan can one-hit kill almost everything with heavy melee. Especially if he's blood ragin' it up.

Krogan sentinel does all that safer.

edit : Does anyone else head bang between rounds as a Krogan? I cant jam F fast enough between rounds.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    What does promoting do?

Gives you some war assets in single player and lets you play that class from level 1 again.

Right, so I was level 1 in a pubbie match with a level 6, 15 and 19.

Final score breakdown had me doubling the next guy down on score, and having more medals than the rest of the team combined.

The level 6 went down a lot. I think he thought that asari adepts couldn't use cover or something.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, the Predator heavy pistol is probably my favorite weapon for any class that doesn't rely on bullet damage (so, pretty much all of them except Infiltrator and most Soldiers). It's incredibly light, so you can maintain 200% recharge without investing much (or anything) into weight capacity, which frees up your points elsewhere.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Krogan Soldiers can strip armour like nobody's business. I find them to be most useful against the Reapers on Silver / Gold. You have to spec for Carnage spam + Inferno Grenades, though, and forget all that melee garbage everyone raves on about.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Final score breakdown had me doubling the next guy down on score

What do you want, a meda...
    naengwen wrote: »
    and having more medals than the rest of the team combined.

Oh, good!

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    and forget all that melee garbage everyone raves on about.

Yeah. I find it's only legit on Silver. Bump it up to Gold and you're just asking for disappointment. But boy howdy melee Krogan is fun on Silver!

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    What does promoting do?

Specificallly, it gives you 75 military strength points worth of assests for every class you promote. It also gives you +10 N7 Levels. At this point, after beating the single player, I'm leaving most of my guys at 20 so I can get that money. I keep finding that I have the oddest gaps in my equipment. I have no piercing mods at all. And my heavy pistol only has the barrel. I just thought the piercing mods weren't in multi till I saw someone else with one.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh. I would say melee is always good for Krogan Sentinel.

Not to much for Soldier.

That being said the higher the difficulty you have to be smarter about it and actually shoot your gun from time to time.

Also, milk ducks what is your GT? I wanted to put you on my friends list.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Huzzah, just had every Geth turn invincible to me during wave 10. Not only that but I was invincible too and could not pick up ammo. I could still complete the hack but had no way of clearing the Geth out afterwards. My team members all snuffed it so all in all that was just super strange.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That's what I do. I put my defenses on max, not the melee. Wear tech armor all the time and use the Black Widow. I'm usually the last to die, have that nice rifle, and if guys get close can handle myself with a punch. Pretty nice balance, and consistently a top scorer, but it feels kind of odd never using powers.

I feel it lacks the punch of an adept on gold, though. One of the best combos I've seen is an Asari adept with the Widow. That guy was an animal on gold and I want to try it out.

Hewn on
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

no i mean from sniper rifles distance tossing out shockwave. You cant seriously do that often right?

Oh, God no. I'm bad, but not that bad. Usually I'll throw out a singularity that hits about 30 degrees to the right and 10 meters up from where the long target is.

I just wish I was better at triggering those explosions and bursts. Probably should have gone with the wide effect for shockwave to make up for my asstastic aiming skills.

• Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pistols are great. I have a Phalanx on my Salarian Engineer and it's pretty much all I need. Good accuracy and fire rate, and it has more damage than most assault rifles.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hewn wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That's what I do. I put my defenses on max, not the melee. Wear tech armor all the time and use the Black Widow. I'm usually the last to die, have that nice rifle, and if guys get close can handle myself with a punch. Pretty nice balance, and consistently a top scorer, but it feels kind of odd never using powers.

I feel it lacks the punch of an adept on gold, though. One of the best combos I've seen is an Asari adept with the Widow. That guy was an animal on gold and I want to try it out.

I can have fun with that build on bronze. But being that I'm mostly playing with full PuGs so I can't count on back up if I go Krogan charging into the wrong group of enemies on silver. Bronze tho? Immortal Steam Roller of Laughing Goodness.

cptrugged on
This discussion has been closed.