Options

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    aren't a lot of the gods actually going to be deified culture heroes?

there's your explanation

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Dylan the Wandering Halfling stumbled onto immortality but at the cost of all of his talent

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120502
    So I get it. Many of you want to see more respect shown to the depictions of genders in our product. You'll get no argument from me on this point. I, too, get sick of DD cups and chainmail bikinis. I'll admit it: many artists have a love affair with beautiful objects (including me—remember, I mentioned this earlier about myself). It is tough to get an artist to give me an image of an "ugly" character without actually asking for it. They inherently want to give me something beautiful. Does that mean we're always stuck with amazingly beautiful people in amazingly awkward poses in stereotypical roles? No, we have opportunities to show more diversity and realism.

7eQZQ.jpg

I'm sick of DD cups and chainmail bikinis. DD cups and overly small corsets are where its at.

What? That's still sexist? My core demographic of older adult males doesn't think so about this beautiful object.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    someone in the comments brought up that most women in fantasy art look liek they're goign otu to a night club, not fighting monsters.

This is a comment i have been hearing a lot about a lot of things, and i think it needs to be said louder.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Melding wrote: »
    someone in the comments brought up that most women in fantasy art look liek they're goign otu to a night club, not fighting monsters.

This is a comment i have been hearing a lot about a lot of things, and i think it needs to be said louder.

That's one thing I really like about Gears of War 3. The female soldiers are smoking hot, true, but they're wearing as much armor as the guys. Though theirs isn't nearly as bulky, but that's because they're normal sized humans and not the brick shithouses that the males are.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    yeah, i'm fine with people being hot as hell, whatever, but dress your job damn it.

you're going into dangerous caves and forests to fight monsters and shit, you don't wear high heels and a mini skirt to dangerously even ground, fuck.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah, i'm fine with people being hot as hell, whatever, but dress your job damn it.

you're going into dangerous caves and forests to fight monsters and shit, you don't wear high heels and a mini skirt to dangerously even ground, fuck.

I dunno, sounds fine to me

• Options
    watch out for that ground, guys

it's too even

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Probably a mimic.

• Options
    hold on, it might be a linoleum golem

• Options
    once again a solid reason in why i should proof read my posts.

On the other hand, it probably is a mimic.

• Options
    I'm not even sure what that's a typo OF? Dangerously evil?

• Options
    uneven.

ever walked in really uneven ground in high heels?

I don't recommend it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Can't say that I have. Usually I only wear high heels on even ground.

Though I guess there was that Drag Queen Camping trip I went on, but I was so drunk I don't think it mattered how even the ground was. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Don't start.

and not while wearing a miniskirt.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Are they calling women objects in that article?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

Yep.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Awesome

• Options
    so awesome

the best

• Options

not exactly, in part it's a white dude asking "hey am i sexist?" and asking for feed back.

or he is and i misread it.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

not exactly, in part it's a white dude asking "hey am i sexist?" and asking for feed back.

You might have missed this part:
    I'll admit it: many artists have a love affair with beautiful objects (including me—remember, I mentioned this earlier about myself).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

You might have missed this part:
    I'll admit it: many artists have a love affair with beautiful objects (including me—remember, I mentioned this earlier about myself).

I'm an optimist and would like to think he didn't necessarily mean it was "women are objects" and more in a referring to the depiction as whole as the object. like the drawing shown is a beautiful object, not the woman depicted.

I could be way off base, i do that.

But largely the point of the article is the art director saying "hey what kind of shit would you like to see in the next version of DnD?"

• Options
    Women in full plate.

• Options
    don't tell me, tell the art director.

Or get me hired as art director. then you will get all the women in plate armour you can stand.

And then even more!

also unicorns and flying horses.

and elves.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think we just need to make male characters wear less clothes

Hi, yes

my warrior wears assless plate male leggings and a chain mail mesh shirt

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    nah, i mean if that's what you want to do, sure, but nah.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    sexualize everything

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    i'd rather not.

• Options
    the people i play this game with are immature enough, i don't need more fuel for the immature giggling.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I would like to yell at someone, but i don't know all of it well enough or have the patience to deal with their ignorance to say it coherently.

I think the answer to the question is technically "maybe not, but probably really sexist."

Like, IF this was a unique character dressing like this among no less than a half-dozen other female characters, AND they were ALL fully realized backstories with depth, AND there was a spread of realistic bodytypes and appropriate equipment portrayed, AND this appearance made sense for this character and their history in particular, THEN maybe we could START to have a conversation about whether this is sexist or not.

Not gunna hold my breath for that.

Edit: I can see the "draw beautiful objects" line going either way. Could be a slip of a cliche, could be underlying sexism.

Label on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow nerds, been out of the role playing loop awhile. Getting pumped up for some Dark hearasy this summer!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I see a lot of gratuitous babe art in d&d I still remember what my mother said about it when she would show off all the art her students drew
    But still when I attempt to do my character for D&D I try to make them as realistic as I can now someone made my face cooler in a bar look though

I am really bad a backstories at the begining it jsut comes to me and grows as I play the character having a full backsotry is something you are not going to get that first day

• Options
    Well? What DID your mother say about it?

• Options
    A lot of things about realism and use and how everyone year after year drew simlar women

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Less chainmail bikinis! More loincloth Barbarians!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Up with Miniskirts!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright, Ringo is mysteriously immortal. Harristonia is probably a free republic, and Paul was a wizard, so he could be a lich or he could just have dynasty going on. And of course Empress Ono took over Lennon's holdings.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What class should Bowie be? My initial thought was wizard, but now I'm beginning to favor a more rapier wielding sword mage aesthetic (I don't even know if that is a thing or practical). He has to be a spellcaster of some sort, and probably an arcane one, but I'm not sure if straight wizard is ideal. He is supposed to be one of the most powerful living beings in this setting.

• Options
    pauldonia is ruled by an immortal wizard who is almost never seen in public

the government hires stand-ins to prevent anyone figuring out he's dead

• Options
    d&d should stop drawing tits in its art for a year and see what happens

declare a moratorium. a moratitium, if you will.

This discussion has been closed.