As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    *puts on non-mod hat*

General MMO rule #2: don't get too attached to That Thing. :D

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    what stops us from making a new spawn town far away, set with a new default spawn point?
    then we get all the updated biomes around the new city, without losing all of our old stuff.

then we would have all of the advantages of being on a new map without being on a new map.

we have massive unused land as it is.

i guess what i am confused about is what a new map is suppose to bring for the people who are asking for one?
    because all the things i can think of, our current map could still be utilized for.

eldercore on
  • Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    There are people working on projects every time I log in, and there are still unbuilt areas in Ispawnbul (as well as unfinished stuff everywhere).

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I imagine people think the map is too large now and too spread out and that this may also be the cause of some of the issues. Combine this with some getting bored of their current projects or feeling like they've done everything they want for this map and hope that a new map will jumpstart some creativeness and you can see where they come from.

I'm okay either way, I'm not super invested in everything I've build, except maybe that bridge >.>

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    There are people working on projects every time I log in, and there are still unbuilt areas in Ispawnbul (as well as unfinished stuff everywhere).

some people get burned out and stop their projects, some people have irl issues, some people jsut get bored with a project, some people run out of materials

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    evill double post glitches!

dargondarkfire on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to installing that Mystcraft mod I linked earlier and it is really fucking cool. I'm enjoying being able to randomly generate worlds or specify what types of worlds I can generate. I'll post some pictures to show the sort of things I've seen:
    Here are a few pics of my "book room." I did all of this construction in creative then switched over to survival mode just to save time and energy because I wanted to try everything out. And that blue circle is a portal made from crystals you can find on some maps. They can be any size and shape, as long as they're unbroken, and you can place them horizontally or vertically. Then you create a book receptacle and place it anywhere on the portal and you put a book inside and the portal turns on and you can walk/jump/move through. I don't know what the point is, since placing a book on a pedestal does the same thing but it sure looks neat.
    2012-05-08_031343.png
    2012-05-08_031345.png

Here's an all-ocean world. Not very interesting, but I've run into a handful of them so it's always a good idea to bring dirt or something if you're planning on building here anyway. I usually just use a linking book and let it drop since I don't plan on coming back (though here I actually put the linking book on a stand for some reason):
    2012-05-08_031703.png
    2012-05-08_031732.png

Here are a couple of checkerboard biome worlds. They're pretty interesting to look at:
    2012-05-08_031452.png
    2012-05-08_031450.png
    2012-05-08_031519.png
    2012-05-08_031544.png

Here are some of the gnarled wooden tendrils you can find on some worlds. This particular map is obviously a skylands-type of map as well:
    2012-05-08_033515.png
    2012-05-08_033512.png
    2012-05-08_033508.png

Here's an all-cave world. I like these maps because oftentimes they're pitch black and you have to hurry to place torches to see if there are any monsters right next to you:
    2012-05-08_033147.png
    2012-05-08_033144.png
    2012-05-08_034010.png

Here's a world that's mostly jungle, stuck forever at dusk with a red fog that made everything look really cool:
    2012-05-08_042022.png

Here's a flat map with huge trees that was pretty awesome. I also discovered strange obsidian obelisks scattered throughout:
    2012-05-08_034136.png
    2012-05-08_034332.png

Here's a desert map with huge trees and glowstone clusters:
    2012-05-08_033912.png

Finally, here's a flat snowy map that was almost completely featureless except this jungle I finally managed to find:
    2012-05-08_033734.png

I have more pictures and I've explored a LOT more worlds but after awhile they start to blend together and it's the little details that make them cool (but hard to capture in screenshots).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    that

that is what I want

• Options
    I forgot to mention you can rename the books whatever you want. They get defaulted to Age # and I've been keeping them at that until I've explored a bit and decided on whether or not I want to keep it. Then I rename the book to whatever.

Oh, and to write your own books you need to copy symbols from randomly generated worlds into a notebook. Once you've copied a symbol into the notebook you can use that symbol whenever you create a world. A bit of advice is once you unlock star fissures to always put them in your worlds. That way if you forget to bring a linking book with you or yours gets destroyed (by, like, a creeper or a decaying age falling apart) you can just jump into one and be returned to the overworld. They're pretty much holes in the world that go down to the bedrock only they have a starry void you fall into (the same thing in portals to the End)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm trying to find a seed where there's a complete village (all the structures that you need to get all the different villagers) that isn't totally fucked up by its terrain? Any help? I've found a bunch, but then they're either missing the blacksmiths or the church or half the buildings are buried/stacked/fucked

edit: NVM, found one that seems to work good, Eggs

Kochikens on
  • Options
    welp

I installed the old, official and apparently compatible version of minecraft, modloader, and deleted the meta-inf folder but mystcraft still doesn't work

no save files will load

have I forgotten something critical about using mods what is the deal here

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @kochikens http://www.minecraftseeds.info/2012/03/1672184498917379323.html?m=1 links to a good seed right near a village with plenty of land to build easily on

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Add me to the "doesn't want a new map yet" side. We haven't played this one out and we haven't had technical limitations that really hinder us that would require a new map. Midlurf for instance had been pre-generated so it couldn't have cool new stuff like swamp biomes and abandoned mineshafts. The only thing we kinda lack here is an enderportal, and honestly if we really wanted one the admins could probably make up a story excuse and put one together.

If it's too big, we could solve that with more teleports around. We could still keep them uncommon with rules like "if there are no teleports within 1-1.5 kilometers of your site you can have one if you have a ship or some other excuse for it" or some greater distance, depending. So far, what do you have? Just Frostheim, Woolhalla, Winderwood, and Ocelotl? That's of course not counting nether portals or the one to Skylands (which maybe should be marked better or have more ports there? It doesn't seem like most people know how to reach it.)

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Minecraft for the 360 is out soon, but I just saw this video and it makes me sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcYNKsxx6-k&f

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Wow. That's pretty silly.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I'd bet it has to do with the xbox having a tiny amount of memory. The other stunning thing is the fact that the xbox version of mc is comparable to Beta 1.6.6, which came out almost a year ago for the PC.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    That is incredibly disheartening

• Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    ....wow. I'm glad I have no intention to ever get the Xbox version.
    Although the four player split screen is a nice feature you can't really get on a computer.

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    Glorious PC master race

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

I'm not sure they have much choice in the matter

I think having it on 360 is super neat and might get more people altogether

besides, the rest of us have the pc version

no skin off our backs

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I could see it being enjoyable if you only know the 360 version

actually when I think about it the activity in most of my worlds could be contained in one map

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    if you guys do make a new map, I'll be all over it

I wanna hang out and build w/ you guys like old times, but every time I log on I start in ispawnbul and climb the tower and when I look out I just see torches and lame buildings as far as the eye can see and I get discouraged and just go play SP

Depressperado on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i beg your pardon.

if you don't like what you see, don't climb the tower. or go out and build something better, either in the city, or off in the many wildernesses or smaller community builds. it's only 'as far as the eye can see' from that one vantage -- plus there's a rail system to get you out of spawn quickly, if you want to travel awaaaaaaay.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i beg your pardon.

if you don't like what you see, don't climb the tower. or go out and build something better, either in the city, or off in the many wildernesses or smaller community builds. it's only 'as far as the eye can see' from that one vantage -- plus there's a rail system to get you out of spawn quickly, if you want to travel awaaaaaaay.

We asked for a free airing of opinions about the map. Depress's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    first of all, i'm teasing him.
    secondly, his beef with the current map seems to consist solely (from that post) of being discouraged by the sprawl of spawn. so i was reminding him that it is actually rather easy to skip town and go somewhere less developed.
    thirdly, you do not diss the magnificent jumble of the desert city by calling it lame.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Being discouraged by sprawl is pretty legit. And wandering off provides the problem of being so isolated that you may as well be playing singleplayer. And spawn is pretty abandoned besides travelers going through it. We want to play and build with others, which is hard when everyone is scattered to the far corners of the map.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Seriously wrote: »
    welp

I installed the old, official and apparently compatible version of minecraft, modloader, and deleted the meta-inf folder but mystcraft still doesn't work

no save files will load

Weird, I just opened the minecraft.jar and dropped in the mystcraft files and deleted the meta-inf folder and it worked. I also don't use any other mods, do you have anything else installed that may be conflicting? Also, have you tried starting a new save? I don't know for sure or anything but maybe it won't work with old saves and you'll have to start a new one (though I don't see why not, but weird shit happens with mods).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hey, I just bought a Minecraft server

and I'd like to set up Tekkit on it

but I have no idea how, could someone please help?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hey, I just bought a Minecraft server

and I'd like to set up Tekkit on it

but I have no idea how, could someone please help?

I might be able to help, i'll send you a PM

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    So in addition to beginning to film around the server to showcase stuff I'm also going to begin a lets play of a survival minecraft game because I play this game a sickening amount as is so I might as well share my terrible opinions on stuff with the rest of the world.

Anyone like to suggest the kind of biome I set up home base in?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    At this point there really isn't much left to do. Everything we need has been built, and most of the map is a safe place. A new would be welcome.

This is preposterous. There is plenty of space around my home that is wild and unlit, and I'm a short jaunt from spawn; you cna get there in less than half a day.

I would personally also really prefer if we could stop switching up the maps every 3 or 4 months. I play Minecraft at a MUCH slower pace than a lot of you, and the result of that has been that most of my projects get about halfway finished and are then lost when we move to a new map. I haven't even seen half of the wonderful stuff other people have done (never been to Woolhalla, never been to Frostheim), and would generally just really appreciate it if we could stick with this map for a good long while.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    welp

no save files will load

Weird, I just opened the minecraft.jar and dropped in the mystcraft files and deleted the meta-inf folder and it worked. I also don't use any other mods, do you have anything else installed that may be conflicting? Also, have you tried starting a new save? I don't know for sure or anything but maybe it won't work with old saves and you'll have to start a new one (though I don't see why not, but weird shit happens with mods).

I ended up manually installing the 1.2.5 version and it seems that was the problem

I didn't think the automatic downloader gave you anything other than the latest official release but I guess it does?

• Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Being discouraged by sprawl is pretty legit. And wandering off provides the problem of being so isolated that you may as well be playing singleplayer. And spawn is pretty abandoned besides travelers going through it. We want to play and build with others, which is hard when everyone is scattered to the far corners of the map.

Speak for yourself.

I want an occasional visitor to feed my ego from time to time, and to behold the works of others when the mood strikes me. None of those things are possible in Singleplayer, but I definitely con't care to have anyone mucking about on my mountain, and generally go months without having anyone come anywhere near my place of residence. Happy to help others, but the mountain is mine and mine alone.

Be even being a hermit on a map full of others is a vastly different experience from the true isolation of Singleplayer, which is not something I'm interested in the slightest in. If your goal is to force a particular playstyle through the necessity of a blank slate, then I have some words of disagreement for you, sir.

• Options
    Junpei wrote: »
    So in addition to beginning to film around the server to showcase stuff I'm also going to begin a lets play of a survival minecraft game because I play this game a sickening amount as is so I might as well share my terrible opinions on stuff with the rest of the world.

Anyone like to suggest the kind of biome I set up home base in?

Just regular old grassland biome seems the logical place to start with; not super exciting, but that's kind of the point of starting off, right, you travel out to interesting and unusual places?

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There will always be a tension between the newmap and keepmap people. :) The two systems are at odds, though, so the trick is balancing. We probably shouldn't keep one map forever and ever, nor should we keep churning new maps every month. There are some hybrid solutions available (multiple worlds, memorials of old maps, etc.), but they all suffer from some level of problems. Maybe those problems are better than keeping or nuking the current map; that's an important discussion to have, too.

(And, as a data point, the average lifetime of a main world map on our server is ~ 5 months. The current map has been up for about 7ish months. Now, the majority of our map transitions have been due to Minecraft code changes, but it does give a reference point.)

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    If your goal is to force a particular playstyle through the necessity of a blank slate, then I have some words of disagreement for you, sir.

My goal is to show that this:
    secondly, his beef with the current map seems to consist solely (from that post) of being discouraged by the sprawl of spawn. so i was reminding him that it is actually rather easy to skip town and go somewhere less developed.
    thirdly, you do not diss the magnificent jumble of the desert city by calling it lame.

Is a pretty silly thing to say. There are very legit reasons why people would not want to build in the middle of the wilderness like you do.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    If your goal is to force a particular playstyle through the necessity of a blank slate, then I have some words of disagreement for you, sir.

My goal is to show that this:

Is a pretty silly thing to say. There are very legit reasons why people would not want to build in the middle of the wilderness like you do.
    It's not the middle of the wilderness. It's a stone's throw from spawn, there just don't happen to be many active players in that little region. There is absolutely no need to wipe the map clean just to be close to the hub and yet also have empty space in which to do things.

All of the things she said are perfectly reasonable (the only real thing being point the second).

sarukun on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Can we please just be a bit nicer to each other here?

You don't need to attack each other for holding opposing views on the matter.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    welp

no save files will load

I ended up manually installing the 1.2.5 version and it seems that was the problem

I didn't think the automatic downloader gave you anything other than the latest official release but I guess it does?

Yeah, I manually installed it, I don't know about modloader or anything like that. So have you been to any really interesting worlds yet?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    CRAZY JAKES IRON EMPORIUM!!
    CRAZY JAKES IRON EMPORIUM!!!

got iron? I WANT IRON!

Need Iron shovels/helmets/swords?
    I HAVE SO MANY IT'LL MAKE YOU CRAZY!!

Ridiculous prices!! Iron Helmets for 3 Iron!! Thats cheaper than they COST TO MAKE!!!

Iron Swords for 1 iron each!
    2 Iron Shovels for 1 iron!!!

you'd have to be CRAZY to craft any of these items instead of buying them at

(Located in the bazaar area by newharbor at ispawnbul)

youtube.com/watch?v=063wANsIjmE

This discussion has been closed.