As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So in the case of a more traditional roguelike, a new player is faced with roughly the same difficulty as an advanced player, because gear scales to enable them to deal with harder challenges.

12ob and I always thought that a super-hard boss in each biome would be hella tight (e.g. huge walking swamp tree for swamps, kraken for oceans, giant sand worm for deserts, etc.) even re-skinning the monsters that are already in game and making them 20x their original size would be pretty cool. could you imagine your boat getting decked by a gigantic green squid? awesome.

I think that the problem with having harder monsters to scale up with your gear is that its difficult to separate where these monsters are from where the noobs might hang out. How do you clearly distinguish that youve just entered a 'level 50' area, for instance? I think that the nether *could* fill this role, but currently doesnt, as the most difficult mob there is currently passive to players. More planes to play on with higher material rewards would make the game incredibly rewarding, and satisfying. Nothing says "yeah, I've been around" like having a house in Ispawnbul made from dragon-hearts obtained from the 5th plane of existance where demons fire poison/flame bombs and some root monster grabs your feet to immobilize you constantly. The game needs more ramped playing, and planes *might* be the best way to achieve that.

I know that this topic kinda died with
    Yea, as we've been discussing this I've realized that the biggest issue I have is ultimately that the system is so damn hard to mod in the context of a server. I know I could design something better, I am willing to do it, and I'm not being provided the option.

but it was too interesting and i had to comment on it

edit: Also, I really think that invasions do a great job on alleviating this issue a bit, with providing crazy hard challenges if youre up to it. The problem is that Minecraft's time rewards are gear-only, and bringing your time commitments (swords, diamond armor, etc) to something that you might die at and lose all of it makes a pretty big disincentive to come wearing your very best gear. For anything, not just invasions. I wish there was a skill set/tech tree you could have in minecraft so you wouldnt lose all of your time commitments when you die. Right now the game is set up like the oldschool games from the 90s where there was no 'save' and you had to beat the game all in one try. Lame.

doktorjake on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    That's sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to mod.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    eldercore wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    FRONTIER ROAD IS DONE.

After several months, untold amounts of supply thefts donations, and help from CRT and Pooka, it has finally reached the terminus point at whatever we're going to call the ocean to the far north.

The rail is not done yet but I hope to have that set up soon. Just wanted to announce this.

maybe build a harbor outpost there?

Yes. It will be named Terminus Port. On the small island just offshore there will be a lighthouse. There will be docks and buildings that spread into the swamp using boardwalks and whatever else people want to do. New open city building area, no real big major plans yet and if people want to start throwing things together (or cleaning up the station thing I have set up at the end, hint hint) go for it. Just leave that small island for a lighthouse and make sure the docks have enough room for actual ships to be built, like at Ispawnbul.

This all being said, @introp I think I will need help getting the last bit of rail set up. At the intersection where the Woolhalla Spur meets Frontier Road I need to get the routing set up, only the Woolhalla Spur isn't just a rail going off to a little station but a rail line of its own that already has connections. I'll look over the MCM stuff some more and see if I can figure out something but no promises at all.

• Options
    IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    eldercore wrote: »
    FRONTIER ROAD IS DONE.

After several months, untold amounts of supply thefts donations, and help from CRT and Pooka, it has finally reached the terminus point at whatever we're going to call the ocean to the far north.

The rail is not done yet but I hope to have that set up soon. Just wanted to announce this.

maybe build a harbor outpost there?

Yes. It will be named Terminus Port. On the small island just offshore there will be a lighthouse. There will be docks and buildings that spread into the swamp using boardwalks and whatever else people want to do. New open city building area, no real big major plans yet and if people want to start throwing things together (or cleaning up the station thing I have set up at the end, hint hint) go for it. Just leave that small island for a lighthouse and make sure the docks have enough room for actual ships to be built, like at Ispawnbul.

Can we do a Venice type city?
    Or wall off the ocean and do it up New Orleans style? Voodoo graveyards be sweet yo.

jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Lappy still in shop (motherboard). My exile continues. :(

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    We've brought up Venice-type cities before. The problem is that Minecraft boats are apparently made of tissue paper and shatter with a slight tap, and with server lag can be hard to navigate (meaning they'd hit the sides of buildings and canals and promptly fall apart). I don't really want below-sea level areas in town BUT voodoo graveyards would be awesome if you want to build one.

Wu, if it helps, we could start working on a rail station for the Hagia Sophia. You could get connected to Frontier Road directly or the Woolhalla Spur (which I think is closer).

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    That's sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to mod.

Assuming you mean the biome 'bosses', honestly it's a lot of work but most of it's been done already. MCP's come light years since it started and the Aethyr mod includes boss-level generation as terrain features. It's just that it has to be a client mod, which means you can't run it and still offer a server that's reasonably easy to join and maintenance free for the players.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    doktorjake wrote: »
    I think that the problem with having harder monsters to scale up with your gear is that its difficult to separate where these monsters are from where the noobs might hang out. How do you clearly distinguish that youve just entered a 'level 50' area, for instance?

Seems to me like mobs could spawn in chunks based on the level of the person who loaded them most recently.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You guys aren't thinking like Game Companies. Clearly the solution is instanced chunks.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    clearly the solution is to just set everything to be as it was before enchanting, so that the average player can punch zombies to death again and just let people be over powered.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Carr, when you were looking at the MCM stuff did you notice anything about world height restrictions on elevators? Seems they don't work above 128 in the up direction but work fine in down so I imagine there is a limit on it probably for 'safety'

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    We've brought up Venice-type cities before. The problem is that Minecraft boats are apparently made of tissue paper and shatter with a slight tap, and with server lag can be hard to navigate (meaning they'd hit the sides of buildings and canals and promptly fall apart). I don't really want below-sea level areas in town BUT voodoo graveyards would be awesome if you want to build one.

Wu, if it helps, we could start working on a rail station for the Hagia Sophia. You could get connected to Frontier Road directly or the Woolhalla Spur (which I think is closer).

We could do Venice but build side walks and bridges next to the canals. I mean not everybody gets around Venice with a gondola.

venice_034p.jpg
    venice13.jpg

• Options
    Junpei wrote: »
    Carr, when you were looking at the MCM stuff did you notice anything about world height restrictions on elevators? Seems they don't work above 128 in the up direction but work fine in down so I imagine there is a limit on it probably for 'safety'

There's probably a max height constant somewhere that I missed. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll work on it.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Anti-Venice, where the streets area lava, and the traffic police are constantly on fire.

• Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    Firematic. wrote: »
    Anti-Venice, where the streets area lava, and the traffic police are constantly on fire.

...I think I may make this a project of mine in the Nether. (If only minecarts could be used as boats. *Sigh*)

Also: Soul sand makes boats break less than other blocks if that helps. I'm not sure how effective it would be though on the server as Mayabird pointed out.

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    how about a cloud city? all buildings must be built from wool and shaped kinda cloud like, wood type blocks for walking around, and air balloon/propeller designs for keeping them up in the sky.

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    how about a cloud city? all buildings must be built from wool and shaped kinda cloud like, wood type blocks for walking around, and air balloon/propeller designs for keeping them up in the sky.

And build it above 128 with a beanstalk ladder (vines on a very tall jungle tree).

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

This has already been done by Yubski before he was banned.

It was not a pleasant experience.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

I had better not return to my planned project already completed. A nice-looking sky city shall be mine!

Although the current design plans are haphazard structures and shacks built around some central organize spire floating in the air, so perhaps good looking may be above me

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

This has already been done by Yubski before he was banned.

It was not a pleasant experience.

Oh. O.O I had no idea. Imma go look at it eventually. (assuming it still exists)
    It's not as if I have projects upon projects lined up...

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Sorry I haven't been around lately guys. Just got a new job + doing other things. I'm gonna try and come back though!

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in a build competition of any kind?

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Depends on the details. What do you have in mind?

• Options
    Very early stages yet but i was thinking of something fairly small and time limited with everyone building at the same time. Couple of hours max. To be perfectly fair, we'd have to provide the building materials and not allow extras to be bought in, though i imagine you can utilise materials from your dig site.

We would do something like a blind judging, with criteria such as creativity and ingenuity. We could do a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, perhaps in the form of XP potions (though you need 650 of those to reach level 49, so that might be a bit laborious)

My first thought is the entrants have to build a tiny house with a kitchen,bedroom,bathroom and living room and a garden. I know I would enjoy that, but i also know plenty of people do not care for building houses or decorating interiors. If someone can think up a less mundane subject matter I will gladly take ideas on board. Maybe we just give each entrant a chest of materials and the space and the player can build whatever they fancy from it. It might make judging a bit harder though!

• Options
    It is decided. the competition is to build a shrine to me.

(I'm only half kidding)

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Then it'd be cheating if I entered because I already have one of those.

• Options
    greygrey Registered User regular
    Build a shrine to the admin of your choice!

• Options
    We could use the creative mode test server for such things. I just want more chances to have building flings with no lasting repercussions or attachments

D-don't look at me like that...

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Uhm...okay so im kinda confused.

I just bought minecraft. Yes i know im way behind the times, but i need something to consume me until Diablo3's release.

So i run around abit punching trees, then suddenly the game starts stuttering...badly. it gets worse until i cant move the mouse without a multi second delay then it like shifts one frame. i save then quit out the game, start it up again and play a few minutes, then it starts again. ive restarted the game numerous times and it keeps happening.

This system ran D3's open beta flawlessly at max resolution...what the hell am i doing wrong?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Have you made sacrifices to the appropriate dark gods?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain im all paid up this month on my C'thulu, Lucifer, and Nox payments.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Well shit, I don't know what to tell you.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Okay, still confused. according to the faq, this game should be taking up about 90 megs on my hard drive, but all ive downloaded (and all that was listed to download from the site) is the launcher program. it didnt ask me to install anything, and it sure didnt download 90 megs before starting the game so i assume im playing in some kinda java browser window? where do i download the whole game for single player without needing the internet connection?

• Options
    The launcher should play independently of internet connection. Only solution I can give is updating your Java version.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay, still confused. according to the faq, this game should be taking up about 90 megs on my hard drive, but all ive downloaded (and all that was listed to download from the site) is the launcher program. it didnt ask me to install anything, and it sure didnt download 90 megs before starting the game so i assume im playing in some kinda java browser window? where do i download the whole game for single player without needing the internet connection?

The launcher installs everything automatically to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft and appdata is a hidden folder.

Uhm...okay so im kinda confused.

I just bought minecraft. Yes i know im way behind the times, but i need something to consume me until Diablo3's release.

So i run around abit punching trees, then suddenly the game starts stuttering...badly. it gets worse until i cant move the mouse without a multi second delay then it like shifts one frame. i save then quit out the game, start it up again and play a few minutes, then it starts again. ive restarted the game numerous times and it keeps happening.

This system ran D3's open beta flawlessly at max resolution...what the hell am i doing wrong?

This sounds like you have the incorrect version of java installed, what is your OS, is it 32 or 64-bit, and what version of java do you have installed?

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Vista 32 bit, java 6 version 31

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    I can't connect to the sever D:

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular

Hmm, that seems correct. Not sure what the issue could be :\

Argh read timed out error occurred, restarted the server and things should be good.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ultimakay wrote: »

Hmm, that seems correct. Not sure what the issue could be :\

Argh read timed out error occurred, restarted the server and things should be good.

Server's occasionally tossing a 'couldn't create server plugin', meaning one portion of the data center isn't talking to the other. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Are you on a laptop? Or, alternatively, using mobility drivers for some reason?

The Good Doctor Tran on
This discussion has been closed.