As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I've tried it now on two different systems. Vista desktop and windows 7 laptop, both react the same way. I can play for a bit, then it starts to stutter badly, quickly getting to the point that every movement takes 8 seconds to jerk in a direction or even to bring up the escape menu. I also tried running it in offline mode on the laptop after initally running it online and got the same result.

is the recent 1.2.5 version very new? if so, anyone have a link to an earlier stable version?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I've tried it now on two different systems. Vista desktop and windows 7 laptop, both react the same way. I can play for a bit, then it starts to stutter badly, quickly getting to the point that every movement takes 8 seconds to jerk in a direction or even to bring up the escape menu. I also tried running it in offline mode on the laptop after initally running it online and got the same result.

is the recent 1.2.5 version very new? if so, anyone have a link to an earlier stable version?

It's not particularly new. This is a graphics issue. Check to make sure your drivers are up to date. If they are, ensure that the correct GPU is being used (this is more likely to be incorrect on the laptop) via the manufacturer's control panel (in nVidia this is Manage 3D Settings in the nVidia Control Panel. Not sure about ATi). If none of this works I can give you a jar that has optifine installed, which may alleviate the problem.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Well, My laptop drivers may be indeed out of date, but my desktops I've updated within the last 3 months. (Nvidia 230 card). Id appriciate a link to that jar, I did find a link to optifine and downloaded the package and even downloaded a 'magic' launcher of some kind to run the game but could not figure out how to get it to run optifine from the launcher. I put them in the same directories, went to the options to select a mod, but when i went into the directory the optifine was unzipped in, it did not list a jar for me to select (and the package didnt contain a jar, only class files).

I find it very odd that this is happening on both my laptop and desktop in the same way. I even started a new world, and it ran fine for about 10 minutes before doing the same thing. After that when i quit and reload the game, i get 2-5 minutes use out of the game before it happens again.

• Options
    Well, My laptop drivers may be indeed out of date, but my desktops I've updated within the last 3 months. (Nvidia 230 card). Id appriciate a link to that jar, I did find a link to optifine and downloaded the package and even downloaded a 'magic' launcher of some kind to run the game but could not figure out how to get it to run optifine from the launcher. I put them in the same directories, went to the options to select a mod, but when i went into the directory the optifine was unzipped in, it did not list a jar for me to select (and the package didnt contain a jar, only class files).

I find it very odd that this is happening on both my laptop and desktop in the same way. I even started a new world, and it ran fine for about 10 minutes before doing the same thing. After that when i quit and reload the game, i get 2-5 minutes use out of the game before it happens again.

Yea, the mod installation system in MC isn't especially robust yet. I PM'd you the link to the jar - it has a few things besides optifine but if that removes the stuttering and you don't want the other mods I can walk you through installing just optifine.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    I miss minecrafting with you all but I only have 7 more days until finals are done.

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    Uhm...okay so im kinda confused.

I just bought minecraft. Yes i know im way behind the times, but i need something to consume me until Diablo3's release.

So i run around abit punching trees, then suddenly the game starts stuttering...badly. it gets worse until i cant move the mouse without a multi second delay then it like shifts one frame. i save then quit out the game, start it up again and play a few minutes, then it starts again. ive restarted the game numerous times and it keeps happening.

This system ran D3's open beta flawlessly at max resolution...what the hell am i doing wrong?

I have had similar issues, and the only solution i have found is to switch my render distance from "far" to "normal"

• Options
    Will try that, thanks.

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    You can help power notches mysterious ARG thingy about 0x10c by going to this site and watch the number go up. Each connected ip gives it a power unit to work with.

• Options
    You can help power notches mysterious ARG thingy about 0x10c by going to this site and watch the number go up. Each connected ip gives it a power unit to work with.

number keeps going up and down. if hes only getting power based on current connections and not every unique visit then its going to take a while.

• Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    School's almost over...I can almost get back into this.

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular

number keeps going up and down. if hes only getting power based on current connections and not every unique visit then its going to take a while.

how exactly does having us connect to this weird site make him code the game faster?

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    Muffins destroyed the server.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    This outcome was not unexpected

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    It's still going, it just disconnects sometimes. Once power gets to 100% you get some hex data that seem to be waveform samples, there is a reddit thread going on decoding it, but it seems to be tricksy stuff.

• Options

how exactly does having us connect to this weird site make him code the game faster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

• Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular

Mods are typically in zip or rar files. Do not unpack them unless instructed. With Magic Launcher click "Add" and select the zip files. Mods are added in order from top to bottom, which only has an effect when using multiple mods that modify the same class files. You should be able to use loose class files, but it is messier and rarely necessary.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    Well changing from far to normal seems to have fixed the problem, thanks much. now if the two hours i just spent spelunking had not ended with a creeper blowing me up as soon as i exited the cave, then failure to recover my stuff....i would be happier :)

• Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hear ye hear ye!!

The second mining event approaches!!

Tomorrow (Thursday, May 3) night, starting with no items whatsoever, individual challengers will race to collect 64 glowstone!

Gathering time begins at 8:30 EST, gathering around the Lodge just north of Winder where a teleport to the field will be waiting!

Fabulous Prizes include fantastic enchanted gear, and something else!

moar exclamation points!!!

Edit: A rail station is set up just outside the Winderwood Steamer ship that takes challengers directly to the lodge.

doktorjake on
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    "Iron Golems will automatically spawn in places like NPC Villages naturally, provided there are 16 adult Villagers and at least 21 houses (counted as doors)."

So that means I can have a house full of doors (I mean, there's a lot of stock at the Door Store and there's a lot on display.) and that will contribute to the 21 houses, correct? I just wanted input from someone who has more experience with this 'cause I still haven't even seen an Iron Golem yet...

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The number of villagers is gonna be a bit of an issue. It'd have to be a pretty big village. If you really want to see one, four iron blocks in a T shape with a pumpkin on top will create one. Just make sure you've got a good fence to keep it in, or it'll wander off. I use one to defend my livestock.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Question about a rule: "No more automatic spawners! (That is spawners that rely on MCM to drop and collect items for you. You must be actually present and collecting items yourself.)"
    So we can still use the clear/plant/etc commands and the chest cart just won't collect things, correct?
    Furthermore, I thought there was a command to have storage mine carts deposit their belongings to an adjacent chests. I can't find it now, but can you do that on this server?

More questions on NPC villages:
    TheExAm wrote: »
    The number of villagers is gonna be a bit of an issue. It'd have to be a pretty big village. If you really want to see one, four iron blocks in a T shape with a pumpkin on top will create one. Just make sure you've got a good fence to keep it in, or it'll wander off. I use one to defend my livestock.

Ended up thoroughly reading the Minecraft page on villagers and found out you can indeed make a villager spawner. Even with that will it be hard to get enough villagers? I feel 16 isn't too many with that, especially if many live in the actual houses. I believe there's 9 houses there already with space for at least 5 more houses along the roads that are there, from looking at the dynamap. (1200x,-2300y) I may make a prison so it's more aesthetically pleasing than necessarily effective. Yes, wooden doors are necessary and they can open them, but I think I can block them in.

Second question: Can villagers use buttons/levers? It doesn't seem like they can but it never says they explicitly can't. Furthermore, are there ways to protect doors from zombies aside from iron golems? I was originally thinking about putting an iron door in front of the wooden door and having a small hallway in front of the wooden one, but then villagers may be trapped inside/outside and if it's avoidable I'd like to. I'd really like to avoid walls + well lit.

Final question of this post: Can villagers spawn spontaneously, without another villager already being there? The wording confuses me, 'cause I didn't read anywhere that they can't just spawn. ("The player is capable of founding a new village by "transplanting" villagers from an existing village, as long as the following conditions are met.")
    If not... could I pretty please have a mod spawn me a villager/give me a villager spawn egg? I would do so much community service or a bribe of personal service for that, because it's hard for me to get to a location closer than the village half the time, getting a villager there would take DAYS.
    I want to include that this is going to be a project designed to have people come and explore through it, and not a personal project for me. (A 'Choose Your Own Adventure' ...adventure? (I need to come up with the right word.) I have not however received permission to use the village yet, but a pm has been sent.)

Image of a villager spawner:
    2012-02-17_20.01.55.png

Image of the way to block the villager from leaving:
    "Villagers won't be able to escape from this. Pushing them into the gap makes them glitch out. Players are able to go through this gap, though."
    VillagerBox.png

JpsCrazy on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well changing from far to normal seems to have fixed the problem, thanks much. now if the two hours i just spent spelunking had not ended with a creeper blowing me up as soon as i exited the cave, then failure to recover my stuff....i would be happier :)

If you have a completely unmodified version of minecraft you can play it through the browser as well, and in my experience that let me set the render distance to "far" with no consequences. Using Chrome, I might add.

I no longer do this because I cannot play without the HD graphics and stuff (mostly, the HD font) but I guess I should give optifine a try! I hate the turok fog :/

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    garrithjgarrithj Registered User new member
    ive read the terms and condition and a friend of mine is on this server can i join please, username garrithj

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    JpsCrazy wrote: »
    Question about a rule: "No more automatic spawners! (That is spawners that rely on MCM to drop and collect items for you. You must be actually present and collecting items yourself.)"
    So we can still use the clear/plant/etc commands and the chest cart just won't collect things, correct?
    Furthermore, I thought there was a command to have storage mine carts deposit their belongings to an adjacent chests. I can't find it now, but can you do that on this server?

We do not run mcm automations so none of the plant or harvest stuff will work at all. We also disabled carts being able to pick up items and put things in chests to prevent people from making automated harvesting systems. Basically mcm is intended to be used to give us a more robust rail system, not to allow people to automatically do things without their input.

garrithj wrote: »
    ive read the terms and condition and a friend of mine is on this server can i join please, username garrithj

Not to be mean or anything, and you may have missed it but at the very top of the rules page it says "Want to get on the server? PM nuka or ultimakay on the PA forums and make sure to include your minecraft name." and this is a very easy test to see if someone actually did read the rules. Send me a PM including the name of the person who referred you and I will be able to help you out.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    An update, for those that were wondering about all the craziness with PAX passes: Project NukaPAX has secured her 3-day pass! Now we are just trying to nail down lodging for her and all will be set!

Now, since the issue of who is going should be pretty well set, who IS going to PAX Prime?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    An update, for those that were wondering about all the craziness with PAX passes: Project NukaPAX has secured her 3-day pass! Now we are just trying to nail down lodging for her and all will be set!

Now, since the issue of who is going should be pretty well set, who IS going to PAX Prime?

*raises his hand*

I'm going for sure, got my tickets and everything!

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I'm going, barring unforeseen difficulties.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    doktorjake wrote: »
    Hear ye hear ye!!

The second mining event approaches!!

Tomorrow (Thursday, May 3) night, starting with no items whatsoever, individual challengers will race to collect 64 glowstone!

Gathering time begins at 8:30 EST, gathering around the Lodge just north of Winder where a teleport to the field will be waiting!

Fabulous Prizes include fantastic enchanted gear, and something else!

moar exclamation points!!!

Edit: A rail station is set up just outside the Winderwood Steamer ship that takes challengers directly to the lodge.

ooh, nether mining? that's something I have no practice with!
    I'll probably be there. Is the target 64 dust or 64 glowstone blocks?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WuShock wrote: »

i most likely wont unless i sudenly come into ownership of a spare 5grand.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    So, apparently, we get cocoa beans from jungle leaves now. Same chance as apples. It's in the pr.class file for you java nerds who don't believe me.

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-12w18a/

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh, apparently there's an elder scrolls MMO in the works

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    huh, apparently there's an elder scrolls MMO in the works

great... i can just see people specking themselves to fus roh dah! all the city residents to death.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I went to check out the experimental public tree farm in Ispawnbul. When I got to the lowest level, the reed farm, I immediately saw a creeper in front of me and it blew up. I don't know what was damaged and how much of it was or how to fix it, since I didn't even get a chance to see it before the ambulatory cactus exploded. If someone who knows could check it out, I would appreciate it and would compensate you for your time and troubles. Sorry about that.

Also how was a creeper there anyway?

• Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    - Wooden tools work in furnaces
    I totally joked about this last week.

jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Sopa wrote: »

I'm actually really glad that they've introduced this. It's a useful and convenient way for me to dispose of all those wooden tools I collect during the first few days. I mean, the simple solution is probably not building so many wooden shovels and axes though...

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    So, apparently, we get cocoa beans from jungle leaves now. Same chance as apples. It's in the pr.class file for you java nerds who don't believe me.

nice

Also congrats, is this your first PAX?

• Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Sopa wrote: »

I'm actually really glad that they've introduced this. It's a useful and convenient way for me to dispose of all those wooden tools I collect during the first few days. I mean, the simple solution is probably not building so many wooden shovels and axes though...
    Yeah, it's a nice little thing. I was just surprised about the coincidence.

jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »

nice

Also congrats, is this your first PAX?
    Nope, this is my 2nd trip.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I took some pictures of the invasion tonight but I missed a lot of good stuff. I'm pretty tired and I don't feel like captioning each one right now but I'll come back tomorrow and do so. So here we go!
    2012-05-04_020106.png
    2012-05-04_020047.png
    2012-05-04_020154.png
    2012-05-04_020155.png
    2012-05-04_021225.png
    2012-05-04_021240.png
    2012-05-04_021928.png
    2012-05-04_024439.png
    2012-05-04_024446.png
    2012-05-04_024750.png
    2012-05-04_025119.png
    2012-05-04_025124.png
    2012-05-04_025620.png
    2012-05-04_033748.png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Hum..so im not sure what im doing wrong. need some opinions.

I started an adventure game to get the hang of things.
    So i started out in a swampy area, lots of islands of trees, or pyramid shaped hills or foliage.

first day i grabbed some wood, then burrowed into a hillside sealed the door shut as night approached, made a crafting table and a furnace, dug my hidey hole bigger and collected a good amount of cobblestone and dirt blocks, didnt find any coal so made charcoal and lit up the place. I decided to start digging downward from my house in a stair-step fashion, hoping to find some coal or iron. later only having found coal, i got board then went back upstairs to make a few chests, and then spent some time turning my block steps into half-steps using slabs so i wouldnt have to jump my way out. but i wasnt having a ton of fun, cause i needed some other materials to play with. I left my cubby and searched for animals and maybe a cave to play in. found a nice valley nearby with some iron in the walls, a lava stream, water, and coal. i mined this for a bit, returned to my home, turned the ore into iron bars and made some armor and iron tools, and a bucket.

feeling very tough, i returned to the valley and wanted to get a bucket of lava...except it wouldnt let me scoop it up with the bucket. wouldnt even let me scoop water...would let me get milk from a cow oddly. whats the trick to putting lava in a bucket?

Anyway, up to this point its pretty standard...but after that i tried several times to pick a direction and just see what i find, but i keep dying and losing everything i have collected cause i cant find my way back to my body. Is there a way to warp home or a way to locate your corpse? Maybe its just a really confusing biome to work with but theres so much water and tree cover that even though the first thing i did was build a dirt tower with lots of torchest at the top going up to cloud level, i still cant see the thing unless im fairly close to it.

do you guys begin your games basically flattening the land out so its eaiser to see where youve been?

This discussion has been closed.