Options

[Diablo 3] Turn on Elective Mode. NO SPOILERS. Witty thread title.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    So I'm kind of struggling in Hell ATM. I killed the SKeleton King and I'm not dying to most things but.. yeah, it's gotten pretty tough. Should I farm some area/act or what? Help!

What class do you play?

Monk. I'm at 9700 HP (low, I know) 2800 DPS and 1200 armor. I haven't been too lucky on drops.

You've got about 2,000 more HP than I had when I started Hell, to be honest. I didn't have much trouble with the Skellington King. All I can really tell you is that the build I use pretty much can't be killed. If that's not your style, then yeah: I'd say either go back and farm Act 4 Nightmare, or join up in a party to take down Hell. That's always a big help, in my opinion.

I'll try your build and hope to get some nicer drops in the future. Is the Valor buff available in all difficulties as long as you're level 60?

Edit: Also what is the best partner/spec for a monk? I've been using a Templar cause I'm lazy.

Magus` on
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    One thing that I don't like is that it isn't viable to farm hell to prepare for inferno. Hell gear pales in comparison to inferno gear even act 1 inferno gear destroys hell gear. Everyone should just jump into inferno act 1 and grind for gear until you're ready for later inferno. You'll die a lot but it's the only way to get the good gear.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    I tried Explosive Beast. It's like Dire Bat, but worse. It doesn't home, it just runs forward and explodes when it meets something. Dire Bat costs less mana, and goes through things with a pretty good aoe.

Not that I'd use Dire Bat on anything besides trivial stuff either.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    In agreement with both crafting and the AH. Both need to be looked at and adjusted to make crafting more attractive, and the AH less attractive... than they currently both are. Some sort of system needs to be in place to remove items from the game, as well... otherwise we could theoretically have the same level 30 sword circulating through the AH for the upteenth time in three years.

One rough idea may be to have an item lose a small portion of its stats if it's been repaired at all, then goes through the AH. Circulated items will degrade each trip through the auction house. Make every single looted item 1 point short of durability, and crafted items become potentially more valuable for the AH. A small addition may be for crafters to have an option that utilizes extra resources to be able to choose the nature of an affixed or two to increase the odds of a favorable item... such as guaranteeing that there will be vitality on your shield.

If you dont want BOP or BOE, then reducing max durability till items eventually degrade is the only solution. I personally think its a great way to remove stuff from the high level economy, but I wonder if players would revolt. If they had introduced the game with degradable items they might have had a better result. If they patch that in I predict nerdrage like never before.

BOP or BOE for crafted items (ie make crafteds untradeable), and then giving crafteds unique stats you cant get from drops is another solution, but the devs are very anti BOP.
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    For those with concerns over the long-term viability of the auction house, consider migrating to Hardcore.

I will definitely eventually do this, but I want to get tired in SC first and I'm nowhere close. I haven't even beaten NM on my first character, Hardcore is a long looon way away for me. I might dip my toes in when server stability/lag is better, but I'm in no rush. HC will be there to extend the lifetime of the game for years yet.

valiance on
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    PS they seemed to have added searching by name to AH in a ninja update.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    RE: Crafting & AH

I think Crafting needs significantly reduced costs on levelling up the craftsmen. AFAIK it's rare to get Radiant Star quality drops, so the Jeweler does serve a use, and likewise you can get some very good recipes for the BS that will probably be staple searches on the AH.

ATM there's no point salvaging ever, because almost everything sells for 2+ times the value of a crafting component, so you would just sell and buy two instead of salvage and get one. However, this is due to heavy supply and low demand, so maybe it might reach more of an equilibrium later.

Also, anyone got any good suggestions for stat distribution for Barbs in Hell/Inferno?

I'm thinking 3:1:1:3 until Dex is 500, then 3:0:1:3.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Can't decide what to play after my Monk. Wizard or Witch Doctor?

WD seems whacky-crazy-fun, but Wizards look neat too.

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    If I add a "+x life per hit" gem to a weapon, but play a spell-casting wizard...the gem doesn't actually do anything...right?

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention:

Someone was talking about whirlwind eating up fury on the Barbarian. It seems like there's some sort of fury generation other than your normal attacks, but I don't know if it's from taking hits, or dishing out damage. I noticed my fury taking small jumps up a few times during the attack. You'll also get a rune around level 45 that earns you a point of fury for each target you hit while whirlwinding. Yes, it's endless in large crowds... and yes, it's just as awesome as you think.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    I really like that the followers get new (visual) gear on each difficulty level incidentally.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't decide what to play after my Monk. Wizard or Witch Doctor?

WD seems whacky-crazy-fun, but Wizards look neat too.

Depends on how far you'll play the character. First few difficulties? WD is really fun. Endgame? Take wizard or regret not taking wizard.

I so regret :<

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When I was critting around 5000 with chakrams I tried hungering arrow with the 70% damage added for each pierce rune. That critted over 9000 (srsly)!

Always gonna use that in party now!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    If I add a "+x life per hit" gem to a weapon, but play a spell-casting wizard...the gem doesn't actually do anything...right?

It should since no class uses a direct regular attack, everyone uses spells of one kind or another.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @GoodKingJayIII Sorry for the delay, I've been Diabloing.

If you list items by buyout price, you can usually find some reasonably priced things for quite low. Also, I've found that around 3 - 5 a.m. is a good time to shop. People sometimes list things for way below market value as a result of, as far as I can tell, sleep deprivation.

• Options
    Ok, Why THE FUCK do people keep salvaging magic items?

Here are the prices for everything:
    Subtle Essence: 19
    Fallen Tooth: 7
    Shimmering Essence: 30
    Lizard Eye: 150
    Wishful Essence: 40
    Encrusted Hoof: 400
    Exquisite Essence: 1200
    Iridescent Tear: 3200
    Fiery Brimstone: 19,000

Prior to getting to Infero? Every item you salvage is a loss of gold. So stop salvaging, sell your items, and just buy the mats you need on the AH.

I keep logging in to check these prices, and they keep dropping. It's so damn confusing. Why are these people salvaging items that sell for 100G to sell its essence for 19G?!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »

It should since no class uses a direct regular attack, everyone uses spells of one kind or another.

Correct. The gem will in fact increase your damage by a silly amount.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Any idea what a Gibbering Gem is used for?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Prior to getting to Infero? Every item you salvage is a loss of gold. So stop salvaging, sell your items, and just buy the mats you need on the AH.

I keep logging in to check these prices, and they keep dropping. It's so damn confusing. Why are these people salvaging items that sell for 100G to sell its essence for 19G?!

Crafting in general is gimped right now because of all the cheap stuff on the AH and how expensive crafting is in comparison. Those prices will go up when people start actually using their materials instead of realizing they're useless and dumping them on the AH.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Any idea what a Gibbering Gem is used for?

Entrance to the secret level.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Wow, good info to know. In theory the prices should rise though... right?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    It gets more frustrating when you look at Jewelcrafting:

The materials required to construct one Square Ruby:
    - 3 Radiant Rubies
    - 1 Tome of Jewelcrafting
    - 7,500 Gold

The prices, according to the Auction House:
    Square Ruby: 5,000
    Radiant Ruby: 1,800
    Tome of Jewelcrafting: 800

So, to construct one square ruby:

(3*1,800) + 800 + 7,500 = 13,700

To buy one square ruby: 5,000

If you construct a square ruby via jewelcrafting, then congratulations! You've just lost 8,700 gold.

Add to that the gold you wasted leveling your JC.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

That all depends upon whether or not people learn how to do math.

The other part of this, though, is the utility of BS itself. Why waste materials to craft an item when you can just search the Auction House for the exact combination of stats that you want?

• Options
    Alright. Back to farming.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yeah, I'm pretty confused that people keep salvaging magic items in order to sell the components at a gigantic loss on the AH.

I'm sure that over time the prices will spike way up when these people either stop being so silly or stop playing the game.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Except leveling JC definitely is not waste of gold. You cannot get past Flawless Square without crafting. The reason squares are so cheap is they're drops, and they're not the best kind of gem that drops. Flawless Squares common enough that crafting them doesn't make much sense (and they're cheap to buy too, for the same reason). Anything better than that? Perfect Squares vary from 80k to 180k or so at AH, while crafting one costs 30k.

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    I wish you could access the auction house in-game.

I wish you could repair stuff through the auction house interface.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty confused that people keep salvaging magic items in order to sell the components at a gigantic loss on the AH.

I'm sure that over time these people will either stop being so silly or stop playing the game.

I really hope Blizzard notices the problem and drastically modifies crafting prices. The Auction House breaks so many parts of this game that they really need to fix some things very quickly.

• Options
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Except leveling JC definitely is not waste of gold. You cannot get past Flawless Square without crafting. The reason squares are so cheap is they're drops, and they're not the best kind of gem that drops. Flawless Squares common enough that crafting them doesn't make much sense (and they're cheap to buy too, for the same reason). Anything better than that? Perfect Squares vary from 80k to 180k or so at AH, while crafting one costs 30k.

Yeah, it's really going to depend on those higher sell values.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I really hope Blizzard notices the problem and drastically modifies crafting prices. The Auction House breaks so many parts of this game that they really need to fix some things very quickly.
    It's the skill-up costs moreso than the crafting prices that need modifying.

Regardless of whether people know maths, there'll eventually be an equilibrium achieved on prices of crafting mats:prices of selling items. Just not now, when everybody is salvaging (because it's What You're Supposed To Do) and nobody is buying.

I haven't levelled either Haedrig or Shen at the moment. I'm still pondering whether I should drop 100k on outfitting my Barb so I can push a bit further into Hell without dying almost every time I meet an Elite/Champ pack.

Anyone know roughly what level Whimsyshire Nightmare drops are?

Bethryn on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Looks like servers are taking a shit again. I'll re-ask something since I got no answer:

1) Does the Valor buff affect all difficulties once you hit 60? Thus if I can't do Inferno (or have even reached it yet) I can use it to farm Hell?

2) What is the best partner for a monk and what spec should that person have? I have the Templar but besides the occasional weak heal he might as well not even be there (300 DPS with a good weapon)!

• Options
    2) What is the best partner for a monk and what spec should that person have? I have the Templar but besides the occasional weak heal he might as well not even be there (300 DPS with a good weapon)!
    Think of followers as little stat buffs rather than sources of damage.

I personally think the Enchantress is the best for melee: Charm, Powered Armor, Erosion, Focused Mind.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

The other part of this, though, is the utility of BS itself. Why waste materials to craft an item when you can just search the Auction House for the exact combination of stats that you want?

I think the design of blacksmithing is that you can scrap crummy magic/rares that no one wants and occasionally get a chance to roll something better. Only problem is that doing so costs a considerable amount of gold which would otherwise be spent at the auction house, and right now the value proposition just isn't worth it. I think that's due in large part to an immature AH economy though.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So manned up and cleared inferno act 1. Boss lacked new tricks sadly, was expecting him to do more than ridiculous damage, since he already had that at hell.

Still a decently intense fight, before we killed him all but 2 plates were on fire, so next wave was probably entire room.

And Magus, nephalem valor seems to be at level 60, period. We had it in late hell at least before killing final boss. If you can go to next difficulty farming the early parts of that are probably better. At least inferno, might not be true for others.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    @Variable and other witchdoctors:

A friend turned me on to this build and I am loving it. Took me a bit to really grok it but I am currently soloing act 3 of hell no problem. Holy shit typing this post made me realize that I have actually been soloing it, no follower. Fuck me!

Anyway, the build:

Haunt with consuming spirits, spirit barrage with phantasm, soul harvest with siphon, spirit walk with honored guest, poison dart with splinters, grasp of the dead with unbreakabpe grasp. Spirit vessel, pierce the veil, rush of essence.

Trust, this build is legit. Just took down some waller, mortar, shielded mobs with no problem.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Inferno is so brutal I'm really tempted to make an alt to take a break but I want to increase the power of my wizard by getting better gear>.<

• Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Just thought i'd pop in again and see if anyone had a Guest Pass they would be willing to part with. I've not played a Diablo and wanted to try it out.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »

I think the design of blacksmithing is that you can scrap crummy magic/rares that no one wants and occasionally get a chance to roll something better. Only problem is that doing so costs a considerable amount of gold which would otherwise be spent at the auction house, and right now the value proposition just isn't worth it. I think that's due in large part to an immature AH economy though.

Yeah. I'm very interested to see how this all plays out.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Grabbed the templar, wow now hell is a cakewalk.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Yeah. I'm very interested to see how this all plays out.

The AH economy's a very interesting experiment.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I'm running cleave/bash, hammer, shockwave, leap, and earthquake on my 34 barb. Decimate through regular mobs easily but bosses giving me trouble. Bash can probably be phased out for something more useful I guess, but only using cleave gets boring.

This discussion has been closed.