Options

[Diablo 3] Turn on Elective Mode. NO SPOILERS. Witty thread title.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Playing exclusively hardcore I had a little conversation about crafting vs AH with one of my friends. He calls crafting (specifically levelling up the npcs) the money pit, since he's getting his item upgrades directly from the AH. He can search for specific items with the stats that he needs and there's almost always something worth getting.

I've been putting money into crafting because I consider it to be better in the long run. Our characters are going to die, and we'll lose all those items. But we won't lose the gold and we won't lose the crafting materials or the npc levels. So on the way back up I can craft items that I need instead of wasting time hoping I can outbid someone.

And it's already helped me. I lost my first HC character when my router crapped out during a timed dungeon. But when I remade it was easy going since I had reliably good gear at regular levels.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The gods have seen fit to punish me for my hubris with invulnerable minions, frozen, arcane enchanted.

Ow.

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't decide what to play after my Monk. Wizard or Witch Doctor?

WD seems whacky-crazy-fun, but Wizards look neat too.

WD feels sort of weak to start, but once you're in the late teens/early 20s you can pull off some spectacular AOE.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Has anyone contacted support and could you tell me how quickly they got to your ticket?

I tried to load a public game and got stuck loading so I shut the game with ALT + F4 and when I came to log in it gave me error 3006 Request timed out after inputing authentication. The 3 items check off it just stops there and times out. I tried power cycling my router but no dice.

Then when I went to post on their forums it said my license is expired or cancelled, but my account page for Diablo 3 says its Active. I am so confused.

• Options
    Watoo24Watoo24 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I'm running cleave/bash, hammer, shockwave, leap, and earthquake on my 34 barb. Decimate through regular mobs easily but bosses giving me trouble. Bash can probably be phased out for something more useful I guess, but only using cleave gets boring.
    @Heisenberg
    try running threatening shout it helps the amount of damage you take alot. Frenzy is what alot of people use for single target damage, i'm a fan, but i can see bash over it. wrath also helps you dps bosses down alot after you get the insanity rune, which i think is around your level. ignore pain helps even more than threatening shout though. Ignore pain is how you live through alot of things. Same with revenge. I don't know how many mobs i've went straight to the heart of and revenge proced myself from near death to full repeatedly.

I'm running frenzy/revenge, leap,threatening shout, wrath, ignore pain

frenzy with the lifegain rune. revenge with crit because i like it. 30% proc is probably better though. ignore pain with the lifesteal rune.

I'm currently lvl 56.

Watoo24 on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Just DC'd right before the boss of the spider area and would have to do the whole place over again. Nope, time to log.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Watoo24 wrote: »
    I'm running cleave/bash, hammer, shockwave, leap, and earthquake on my 34 barb. Decimate through regular mobs easily but bosses giving me trouble. Bash can probably be phased out for something more useful I guess, but only using cleave gets boring.
    @Heisenberg
    try running threatening shout it helps the amount of damage you take alot. Frenzy is what alot of people use for single target damage, i'm a fan, but i can see bash over it. wrath also helps you dps bosses down alot after you get the insanity rune, which i think is around your level. ignore pain helps even more than threatening shout though. Ignore pain is how you live through alot of things. Same with revenge. I don't know how many mobs i've went straight to the heart of and revenge proced myself from near death to full repeatedly.

frenzy with the lifegain rune. revenge with crit because i like it. 30% proc is probably better though. ignore pain with the lifesteal rune.

I'm currently lvl 56.

That's pretty cool - furyless build? Just take the passive that's +30% damage at max fury and roll with it?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Just DC'd right before the boss of the spider area and would have to do the whole place over again. Nope, time to log.

just DC'd right before clearing the last bit of corruption for the Gardening achievement in act 4

so mad right now

• Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if the checkpoints were a bit more common. Not to mention the game messes up once awhile and will mark your checkpoint elsewhere (like back in town). It can be really annoying if you die, get sent back to town and realize that oops, it'll take you at least 5 minutes to trek back where you were, despite the checkpoint supposed to be 'there'.

I kind of accepted that there would be issues for the first day or two, but almost a week later and things have barely improved. It's.. I'm not sure what it is.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    @kambing Can you make a video showing how you handle champ packs solo using arcane torrent? I was testing it out earlier today and loved it against regular enemies and other thing I could stand still 2 seconds and shoot against. But my current solution to champ packs on inferno is running and firing an arcane orb every few seconds, preferably while the mobs are still offscreen, using mirror images/diamond skin to delay them and survive unavoidable damage. This was not quite possible with arcane torrent :P.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Is anyone concerned about inflation? Once people figure out crafting isn't that great all we're left with is jewel crafting and repairs. Jewel crafting is good because it costs a lot of gold and eventually we will all want the max rank gems.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    sumwar wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned about inflation? Once people figure out crafting isn't that great all we're left with is jewel crafting and repairs. Jewel crafting is good because it costs a lot of gold and eventually we will all want the max rank gems.

I dunno, I found a legendary recipe and am making good gold off of selling that on AH. Costs 13k to make the thing, last bid I checked was 50k.

• Options
    The gem recipes all the way up to last type that can drop off enemies either needs to be free, something like 1/10th the cost or give some benefit that is lost if you sell the gem. As it is now, there's no reason to craft gems below a certain threshold and you should just focus on getting him to max level so you can eventually make the best gems.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    I still don't like Vision Quest - builds, but I have to admit it does make my inferno act 1 runs faster. I usually do the act 1 boss at little less than 2 minutes, now it took like 20 seconds. It does work against champion/elite packs in act 1, as I have enough dps to almost kill the pack during the duration of Spirit Walk, and then tank the rest.

Opening doors with bears is annoying though :P

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    When I look at the damage mitigation from armor, it reads that it reduces all incoming damage. There's also stats for resistances against various types of damage, including physical, melee, and ranged.

Does this mean that armor reduces magical damage as well? Such as poison? It sure is looking that way.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    When I look at the damage mitigation from armor, it reads that it reduces all incoming damage. There's also stats for resistances against various types of damage, including physical, melee, and ranged.

Does this mean that armor reduces magical damage as well? Such as poison? It sure is looking that way.

Yes, it's *all* the damage. Int does the same via raising all resistances. And each point of str is as good as point of int for damage reduction (though only assuming you have equivalent values of armour and resistances).

Keemossi on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So my wizard is level 51 and at 3775 DPS. I run into people who have 2k more dps than me at the same level. I'm guessing I just have terrible items, but I'm not really seeing anything all that cheap on the AH. Any ideas to AH better? Are people just coming across auctions that have crazy low buyouts?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    I may only have 2.3k dps and 3k hp in Act 1 Hell mode, but that amazing 860 life per second is making me an invincible god (if I merely use half a brain cell once in a while).

Once I get Force armor (2½ levels), it should be easy cruising afterwards. Then I gotta find out how I up my DPS (using a 202 dps 1 hander).

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So my wizard is level 51 and at 3775 DPS. I run into people who have 2k more dps than me at the same level. I'm guessing I just have terrible items, but I'm not really seeing anything all that cheap on the AH. Any ideas to AH better? Are people just coming across auctions that have crazy low buyouts?

Part of it might be the skills you are using. My 54 wizard has a base DPS of 4200. When I use Glass Cannon and Magic Weapon - Force weapon, my DPS goes up to 6200.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Part of it might be the skills you are using. My 54 wizard has a base DPS of 4200. When I use Glass Cannon and Magic Weapon - Force weapon, my DPS goes up to 6200.
    I'm using Magic Weapon Force weapon, energy armor pinpoint barrier and glass cannon. Damage isn't terrible, but would love to do a bit more. I'm also looking into the force armor life regen route, but that seems very expensive on the AH as well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    @kambing Can you make a video showing how you handle champ packs solo using arcane torrent? I was testing it out earlier today and loved it against regular enemies and other thing I could stand still 2 seconds and shoot against. But my current solution to champ packs on inferno is running and firing an arcane orb every few seconds, preferably while the mobs are still offscreen, using mirror images/diamond skin to delay them and survive unavoidable damage. This was not quite possible with arcane torrent :P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1yu-MxJzvE

But I've been using shock pulse/piercing orb more for these kiting situations. A good use of barrage is when I pop diamond skin, I tend to barrage for some portion of it since it's free damage.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Damn, the cruel mistress of lag has struck my buddy hard.

We were going through a random dungeon, found a Treasure Goblin and killed it. He found a ridiculously awesome pair of rare gloves. Stats were outrageous. Ten minutes later? We get DC'd. We get back in game and I check my inventory and all my loot was gone. I told my buddy to check his. What followed was a long string of expletives. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Folks in Europe? I've been playing a lot this weekend and the US servers are really well-behaved now.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Damn, the cruel mistress of lag has struck my buddy hard.

We were going through a random dungeon, found a Treasure Goblin and killed it. He found a ridiculously awesome pair of rare gloves. Stats were outrageous. Ten minutes later? We get DC'd. We get back in game and I check my inventory and all my loot was gone. I told my buddy to check his. What followed was a long string of expletives. :(

Feel lucky you weren't playing hardcore mode.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Was clearing the cemetery dungeons near the start on Nightmare playthrough and one was labeled "Development Hell". All the names of mobs were Blizz devs and I got this cheevo for killing the "boss":
    ?.png

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I suspect that the first major "balance patch" will include a bunch of economy "fixes". Although the RMAH could still change everything, so who knows.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Anyone found any good rare vendors?

I found a vendor in the Oasis in the Rotting Cellar who sold Runic Pots for 280 each; needless to say I grabbed about 200. He also sold certain dyes pretty cheaply too.

Most of the rare vendors seem to stock at least one rare too, which makes them even cooler. I really like that.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    So I tried switching from slow 2hander to 1h+mojo on witch doctor, and it's awesome. With a few ias items I'm at about 1.8 attackspeed, and kiting has never been easier. I can move and attack at a nice speed, I can't get caught in animation and get hit by mortar/boss attack, and it's far more fluid to play.

I tested the set with a dire bat - spamming build, and I didn't really feel a hit in dps. With 2 mana regen items and Spiritual Attunement I get 48 manaregen, which is almost good enough to actually support bats. I'm missing mana regen from mojo though, so it could be a bit higher still.

Of course the spells won't be nearly as manaefficient with fast weapons, but they do give additional mana regen, and Poison Dart is cheap anyway. And yeah, with Vision Quest the additional mana regen from class items means infinite bats at great speeds :P

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I'm using Magic Weapon Force weapon, energy armor pinpoint barrier and glass cannon. Damage isn't terrible, but would love to do a bit more. I'm also looking into the force armor life regen route, but that seems very expensive on the AH as well.

I found a few cheap items with life regeneration since no one who has played D2 thinks it's any good. The kicker is you want high intelligence with that as well, which does go for a fair amount of pennies. My advice is to buy cheap weapons to increase your DPS, level to 60, then look for gear to supplement your build. The level 60 items are supposedly leagues ahead of lower level items.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Between Torchlight 2 giving me an interest in D3 and my RL friend's desire to get this now after the launch hiccups, I'm being drawn into this web of loot management and demon slaying. Curse you Blizzard! And curse you @Kambing, with your sexy Wizard flinging arcane doom and lightning bowling balls everywhere, making me want to play a Wizard.

God damnit.

I still think all online is dumb and the RMAH is dumb but whatever, I'll get over it for the sake of a few good hours of fun with friends.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man, the save system sucks. I was just past a checkpoint in Nightmare when my friend logs on his low lvl monk. I've got a legendary monk helm I don't need, so I join his game to give it to him. Then I go back and resume my game, only to find that I'm now on his lowbie quest. My checkpoint's completely gone. Now I've gotta go and select the quest again from the Main Menu, wiping out about three or four hours of work.

Fuck this, give me a quick save.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    this diablo fight is stupid and i'm not having fun with it

if i had known they were gonna take my follower away i probably would've invested in more vitality gear

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kambing wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1yu-MxJzvE

But I've been using shock pulse/piercing orb more for these kiting situations. A good use of barrage is when I pop diamond skin, I tend to barrage for some portion of it since it's free damage.

I didn't pay attention to the post, but watched the vid. I genuinely had no idea whether you were going to make that. It was reaaaly nerve-wracking to watch!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Between Torchlight 2 giving me an interest in D3 and my RL friend's desire to get this now after the launch hiccups, I'm being drawn into this web of loot management and demon slaying. Curse you Blizzard! And curse you @Kambing, with your sexy Wizard flinging arcane doom and lightning bowling balls everywhere, making me want to play a Wizard.

God damnit.

I still think all online is dumb and the RMAH is dumb but whatever, I'll get over it for the sake of a few good hours of fun with friends.

Does this make you want to play a wizard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2f7Jpyp9Ag

^_^

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

if i had known they were gonna take my follower away i probably would've invested in more vitality gear

my build totally sucked for him so I ended up tanking all his stuff(even lightning hose) with diamond skin and hacking away with the melee ability then running around until cooldowns reset. felt almost like cheesing it

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Holla, solo Hell clear with my monk! Bought a lot of resist all gear to go with the awesome shield I found, which helped me tank a lot better. Ended up running through everything in Act IV once I hit 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, because life is too short.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

my build totally sucked for him so I ended up tanking all his stuff(even lightning hose) with diamond skin and hacking away with the melee ability then running around until cooldowns reset. felt almost like cheesing it

this is actually the exact same thing i did to beat him

and then i felt stupid for not having tried it before! that's what i get for trying to play this game legitimately

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Arcane Orb since its traveling speed is so bloody slow. Its hit box is also surprisingly small. I'm missing more than I'm hitting! Plus, it runs out pretty quickly when you're spamming it even at the reduced cost. Piercing Orb seems much more effective. Arcane Torrent is fine too since you can just click on a target and it'll travel there at a decent pace. None of the runes seem all that exciting though.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Watoo24Watoo24 Registered User regular
    Watoo24 wrote: »
    @Heisenberg

I'm currently lvl 56.

That's pretty cool - furyless build? Just take the passive that's +30% damage at max fury and roll with it?

yup i actually replaced weapon master with that after i realized how often i was at max fury. Wrath also lets you ignore CC effects which has made quite a few elite mobs easier than they should be.

passives: berserker rage, 25% additional armor(forgot the name), 3% lifesteal

so far it works pretty well. not sure how well the lifesteal's working, but in conjunction with wrath, its quite good.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yay, beat it last night. Now I'm just goofing off before moving to nightmare. Trying to farm up the items for the secret level (since I got the pattern as a drop - wonder if it's 100% or I just got lucky), kind of a pain in the ass (have all but the last one which requires me to FIND a random dungeon that can spawn in several spots, and then hope there is a rare monster up that drops it... so far no luck). Of course I also need to come up with about 50,000 more gold yet too :)

Edit: Ha, and right after posting that I find the monster I was looking for. Yay. Now I just need to raise 40,000g :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.