As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: May is done, go to the next one

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    xWbvu.png

Also, Minecraft has sold more than two million copies on XBLA.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow.. yes. Because programming languages can only be used for one purpose! Good lord.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Twilight Al Qaeda link!

"Terrorist threat mailed to government used same alphabet as popular book series Twilight."

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've done WoW addons in lua!

brb sending CV to NSA

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    korodullin wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned yet? THQ has shitcanned all of THQ San Diego all of the sudden, hoping for the E3 hubbub to overshadow it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476867
    CssT0.jpg

9jOvR.jpg

K1X9Z.jpg

Now that is absolutely disgusting.

Worse it seems to have worked too

Cade on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    <snip>

Mein gott, it was there all the time! How did we not see this?!

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    According to the offical german Mass Effect facebook site we should all tune in for the Nintendo conference today

9pvfq.png

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    According to the offical german Mass Effect facebook site we should all tune in for the Nintendo conference today

[img][/img]

Probably Wii U version of 2 and 3.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm going to go with Mass Effect 3(maybe all three?) on WiiU. Better with tablet features!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm going to go with Mass Effect 3(maybe all three?) on WiiU. Better with tablet features!

You forgot the exclusive Samus suit!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

[img][/img]

Probably Wii U version of 2 and 3.

Mass Effect 3 to have another ending for Wii U: Red, Green, Blue and Tablet.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »

This........I might rebuy it for this.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mass Effect 1 is through Microsoft Studios, right? That probably wont make it to WiiU. The kinect features for ME3 sounded cool, so maybe they can do neat stuff with the tablet. I dunno.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect 1 is through Microsoft Studios, right? That probably wont make it to WiiU. The kinect features for ME3 sounded cool, so maybe they can do neat stuff with the tablet. I dunno.

Yeah, it'll probably just start at ME2 with the comic book/choice DLC like the PS3 version.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    xWbvu.png

Ah Fox News. You so funny ignorant.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cade wrote: »

Fuck.

Now I have to buy this shit.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I would buy Mass Effect specifically for the exclusive Samus Suit. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Solidarity.

-.-

• Options
    You know, I just loooove this time of year. Every December I say to myself "Well, this year was the Apex. There will never be any games to get me almost uncontrollably excited ever again."

Then E3/days like yesterday happen... love it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Solidarity.

-.-

Shepard would never take it off. Or bathe. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    So will the wonderbook stuff be counted as an accessory, a game, or nothing for NPD purposes?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think it's an accessory. And there will be games that use it.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Wow after everyone boo-hooing for a week straight about the 38 Studios closure I'd expect more outrage regarding THQ firing everyone in the middle of the night. I guess it's really only sad if the mainstream media reports it.

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    Wow after everyone boo-hooing for a week straight about the 38 Studios closure I'd expect more outrage regarding THQ firing everyone in the middle of the night. I guess it's really only sad if the mainstream media reports it.

They had the perfect plan. Fire everybody in the middle of E3.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I know that E3 conferences are more aimed at the general mass media than us, but goddamn, there's been precious few surprises so far. Microsoft Smartglass, the PS3 storybook thing, the hacker-oriented GTA-style game that looks awesome, etc.

I think part of the reason I'm looking forward to the Nintendo conference is that, by definition of a hardware launch, they'll have to surprise us with stuff that hasn't leaked yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

It WAS pretty brilliant, I'll give them that. I'm sure some of that team was watching keynotes JUST LIKE US when the news hit.

• Options

It WAS pretty brilliant, I'll give them that. I'm sure some of that team was watching keynotes JUST LIKE US when the news hit.

And the studio that closed (or was it layoffs?) was the one that did THQ's UFC games.

So did they find out about EA getting the UFC license before the firings? Cause that could have been confusing and scary for a few minutes.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

If you can't see the difference between those two don't expect anyone to explain it to you.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

If you can't see the difference between those two don't expect anyone to explain it to you.

sick burn

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    xWbvu.png

Oh shit, I just spent time integrating Lua into a project of mine. I must be on some watchlist now!

If they knew how many games (and miscellaneous other software) uses Lua as a scripting base, their heads would explode.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Well, the main reason we commented that long about the 38 Studios thing was that there was news about it every day.

This THQ studio was working on a game for a license that was sold. Considering how bad THQ is doing right now it makes sense for them to close the studio instead of making the game into a generic MMA game.

The timing almost makes it seem that THQ just finalized the sale of the license.

• Options
    Yeah, the studio's closing is pretty awful, especially with the timing. But that's pretty cut-and-dried awful, while the 38 Studios thing got weirder and weirder and lead to the resignation of state officials.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I know that E3 conferences are more aimed at the general mass media than us, but goddamn, there's been precious few surprises so far. Microsoft Smartglass, the PS3 storybook thing, the hacker-oriented GTA-style game that looks awesome, etc.

I think part of the reason I'm looking forward to the Nintendo conference is that, by definition of a hardware launch, they'll have to surprise us with stuff that hasn't leaked yet.

It has been fun reading the keynote thread and keeping up on announcements. But for me Nintendo will "win" E3 unless theirs is really bad. I tried listening to the Sony one but turned it off after 10 minutes of them pandering to their fans without actually showing anything.

And Microsoft was too much boring media center stuff. Which makes sense considering that was part of the reason they went into the console business, but damn it is boring to listen about.

Edit: Also, the keynotes have let it sink into my brain that we are at two years away from new consoles from Microsoft and Sony, baring any weird Saturn like reveals next year.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    At this point, studios closing is only expected. They need to be weird to catch attention.

Why isn't Sony isn't in panic mode with the Vita yet?

Couscous on
  • Options
    At this point, studios closing is only expected. They need to be weird to catch attention.

Why Sony isn't in panic mode with the Vita yet?

I'm more interested in what Is shown at TGS for the Vita. Japan is where the PSP took off so I'd expect Sony to concentrate there for enticing third parties to make Vita games.

• Options

I'm more interested in what Is shown at TGS for the Vita. Japan is where the PSP took off so I'd expect Sony to concentrate there for enticing third parties to make Vita games.

Somehow I don't think "eh, we lost the west last time, so why bother trying this time!" is a great strategy.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Probably because their bottom line won't allow them to do the only sensible thing and lower the price by a whole lot. And really they should be trying to fix the Vita in Japan because if they can't get it going there what are the chances that it succeeds anywhere else.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

Probably because their bottom line won't allow them to do the only sensible thing and lower the price by a whole lot. And really they should be trying to fix the Vita in Japan because if they can't get it going there what are the chances that it succeeds anywhere else.

Yeah, I really expected that they'd announce a lot more games or offer some sort of early adopter bonus (like a free game download on the PSN) for the next month or two which would eventually get replaced by a permanent system price drop. I think they were expecting that the stuff they announced at their conference for the Vita would make a bigger impact but:

1 - Sony Smash Bros looks fun but I think they overestimate how much the populace as a whole wants it.
    2 - The new Assassin's Creed game was announced a day or two earlier so the impact of that was lost.
    3 - PS1 game support should have been in the system to begin with so giving us a vague Summer release date for that doesn't please anyone.
    4 - Vaguely talking about CoD for the Vita doesn't excite anyone.

I still think the system is great with a lot of neat games as is, but they really need to step up their efforts since I'm hardly indicative of the gaming market as a whole.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    If they allowed both PS1 and PS2 game purchases I'd snatch one of those fuckers right up. FFX portable? Yes please.

• Options
    hadoken wrote: »
    If they allowed both PS1 and PS2 game purchases I'd snatch one of those fuckers right up. FFX portable? Yes please.

Square Enix is already making FFX HD for PS3 and Vita, so you're covered.