Options

Video Game Industry Thread: May is done, go to the next one

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So how is the mainstream press (DAMN LIEBERALS) treating the Wii U?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/just-dance-disney-party-features-the-bare-necessities/
    Forget about your worry and your doubt -- and, maybe, your dignity -- with Just Dance: Disney Party. The latest addition to the multi-million selling franchise features classic Disney track and those from Disney Channel original series and movies.
    Still waiting for Just Dance to burn out.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/just-dance-disney-party-features-the-bare-necessities/
    Forget about your worry and your doubt -- and, maybe, your dignity -- with Just Dance: Disney Party. The latest addition to the multi-million selling franchise features classic Disney track and those from Disney Channel original series and movies.

Joystiq is not the mainstream press.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular

Potentially never. Unlike, say a DDR or Guitar Hero or Rock Band, you don't need to spend extra cash on a peripheral to play a Just Dance. Except something like Kinect, which has its own dancing franchise, or Move (no comment).

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »

Potentially never. Unlike, say a DDR or Guitar Hero or Rock Band, you don't need to spend extra cash on a peripheral to play a Just Dance. Except something like Kinect, which has its own dancing franchise, or Move (no comment).

DDR works perfectly fine with a PS2 controller, in my experience. I can see how controllers that have the left analog stick above the d-pad could have issues, though.

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

DDR works perfectly fine with a PS2 controller, in my experience. I can see how controllers that have the left analog stick above the d-pad could have issues, though.

Well, playing DDR with a gamepad kind of misses the entire appeal of it

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular

Right. Less about the inputs and more about the gestures. I assume that's what has propelled Just Dance into the stratosphere of popularity. Anybody can do it, whether you're good or bad.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Those gates remind me of circuit breakers.

That's probably the point.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Anything that brings DDR style games back is good in my book.
    Remember when DDR was popular? It turned fat girls into skinny girls. Best cardio ever.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular

Right. Less about the inputs and more about the gestures. I assume that's what has propelled Just Dance into the stratosphere of popularity. Anybody can do it, whether you're good or bad.

Well, Just Dance has the appeal of being able to flail your arms. It's a bit more dynamic (visibly) than controller-based rhythm games

But I do believe that DDR died out because it's arcade-game origins meant that the game was a bit too punishing without practice. It didn't help that the announcer would berate you for poor performance, even if you turn no-fail on. And the decidedly japanese songlist

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    DDR died because Konami sucks at mass marketing to the west.

Think about it; they had Just Dance and Guitar Hero around a decade before both of those franchises.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options

Think about it; they had Just Dance and Guitar Hero around a decade before both of those franchises.

Well they got DDR into schools, so that's something.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

See, that could have been gym class. You'd get so many kids to be so much more active, probably solve childhood obesity in one swoop.

But no, instead...dodgeball.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    We played cricket in PE.

A game when you spend 90% of your time standing around, 99% of the time if you're waiting to bat, sitting on a bench.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Why was this not in my school?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    We played cricket in PE.

A game when you spend 90% of your time standing around, 99% of the time if you're waiting to bat, sitting on a bench.

This is why those sports suck and should be banned and the people who play them hit with sacks of doorknobs.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Forbes: Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo tie for last place at E3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/06/05/sony-microsoft-and-nintendo-tie-for-last-place-at-e3/

Can't say I disagree with them. This was probably the worst and least exciting E3 in years.

Ubisoft was truly the winner of E3 this year.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/06/05/sony-microsoft-and-nintendo-tie-for-last-place-at-e3/

Can't say I disagree with them. This was probably the worst and least exciting E3 in years.

E3 has been underwhelming so far as it is.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

It's actually worse than last years? Jesus fuck, I'm surprised that didn't open a portal directly to hell due to the raw suck that would have to be involved.

EDIT: And god damn Forbes, gj with having people write about games who don't make me want to punch them in the face.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Let's dedicate thirty minutes of our precious and very limited presentation time to some girl sitting on a floor, waving a stick at a book!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We played cricket in PE.

Huh... my school did volleyball, basketball, archery, bowling, and fencing. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We played cricket in PE.

Huh... my school did volleyball, basketball, archery, bowling, and fencing. :P

Well. Someone grew up in a rural area.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So at this point, who is E3 even for anymore? The non-gamers don't give a shit. Which adds a bit of poetic irony, since due to the business shift of pandering to them, there's precious little for the hardcore crowd now, so they don't give a shit. Even the big companies don't seem to give a shit anymore, more so since they just have their own events where they break out the big news.

It's like nobody wants to be there anymore, but they still go because it's "tradition".

I guess it's like Christmas with the in-laws.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So at this point, who is E3 even for anymore? The non-gamers don't give a shit. Which adds a bit of poetic irony, since due to the business shift of pandering to them, there's precious little for the hardcore crowd now, so they don't give a shit. Even the big companies don't seem to give a shit anymore, more so since they just have their own events where they break out the big news.

It's like nobody wants to be there anymore, but they still go because it's "tradition".

So E3 slims-down, calls that a failure, bulks back up and then nobody cares?

Kinda hilarious.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Will npc in fps 4 food!

That was the best part :D This movie is going to be great

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Kinda hilarious.

Well honestly, we got PAX now.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Kinda hilarious.

Well honestly, we got PAX now.

And Gamescom...

E3 is for the media. Always has been. The difference is that the last few years have also heavily been for shareholders.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    CNN Breaking News: Wii U controller to breath new life into aging console.
    (CNN) -- Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?

Hard to say at this point, but the Wii U is a solid accessory that will bring a fresh element to Nintendo gaming.

I got my hands on the redesigned device -- which was first previewed a year ago -- after Nintendo's Electronic Entertainment Expo event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

The comments are gold.

Cade on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Heh, you wonder why CNN's ratings have been terrible lately. It's crap like that :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    That's true, amazing how Forbes has been hitting it out of the park lately.

Oh and Ubisoft left a little something in the Far Cry 3 trailer:
    WBAIn.png

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I can't find that clip from the conference video. Is it actually real?

Also, I hadn't heard of any of the "celebrities" that Ubisoft used in their presentations, so there's that. They were trying so hard to be funny, but they weren't. It was just so, so terrible. Not to mention the completely unnecessary cgi nudity. But anything to get press I suppose.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Also, I hadn't heard of any of the "celebrities" that Ubisoft used in their presentations, so there's that. They were trying so hard to be funny, but they weren't. It was just so, so terrible. Not to mention the completely unnecessary cgi nudity. But anything to get press I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MtMUBNOnkk

It's literally a split second at about 16 seconds in.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Haha, that's great.

How long before this hits media and gets pulled?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I think people will be more up in arms over the CGI nudity. You know, it's okay to swear like a sailor while you're shooting people's heads off. The second bare skin makes the scene? Too far.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I think people will be more up in arms over the CGI nudity. You know, it's okay to swear like a sailor while you're shooting people's heads off. The second bare skin makes the scene? Too far.

Maybe, but there's also been a fair share of titties in video games. It just seems random what will and won't set people off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

Maybe, but there's also been a fair share of titties in video games. It just seems random what will and won't set people off.

HD nipples will set people off

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Speaking of HD, not sure how I missed this in the streams. Square Enix showing off the Luminous Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQB9ds2AYwM

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Nudity in gaming is becoming more common.

Witcher 2 might not be exactly a big name game in media circles but it had full female frontal in that one and hey that was sold at Walmart.

Still amazed Fox didn't flip out over that fact.

We've even had a male penis in one of the DLC for GTA IV. Not sure if there was any stink over that or not. Due to it being DLC it might have avoided the larger eye of the media circus.

Cade on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Funny enough, that's actually the "censored" version of the trailer. The original full-length one they showed at the press conference started with the lady straddling the character in first-person with a much better view. You can probably still see it if you go to Gamespot or Game Informer's twitch.tv accounts and look through the archived version of the Ubisoft presser.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I think the reason the FarCry opening was cringe-worthy was because it shows how immature the "mature" rating can be at times.

You throw in some tits, some fucks, some blood...blam...you've got your mature right there. And really I generally don't get up and at 'em like most people do about these things.

That being said I had that feeling with quite a few titles, not FarCry specifically.

But man if those weren't some rude ass titties.

Edit: Also this is awesome...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    To be fair I believe in movies if you say the word fuck more then three times it can cause the rating to go up to R if not higher. Something silly.

And that doesn't even begin to describe how corrupt and inept and all backstage politics that is involved with those ratings.