As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] of Olympic Tat

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    alright @skippydumptruck

I will grant you this

car talk is not as bad prairie home companion

actually fuck that, at least phc has a piano

I'd still rather be sodomized with a pinecone than listen to either

You are literally the devil.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    guys, guys

you'll always both be token conservatives to me

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i miss the days i could get a delicious chicken biscuit and a delicious lemonade without it being a political statement

i do not care about anyone's causes at all ever in the history of ever

i just want some chicken and lemonade

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    What's the show on NPR where it's like, a whose line fake gameshow, only with soft spoken hokey english teachers making horrible jokes. Sub-dad jokes. Elementary school teacher jokes. That came on one day when I was driving and I was in awe of how terrible it was. My personal hell.

That show is fantastic and you are a terrible person. It's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me".

That show was, lit trilly, the most awful thing I have ever heard in my life. Humor so non-flammable that it leaked out of my radio and gave me mesothelioma.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Olympic Ping Pong Table Tennis is great, though. Endless multitasking possibilities. If I could put this on in the background while I did other things every year I would.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzy that's what they play on Saturday?

Wierd. Your NPR is hella weird. Where is Prairie Home Companion? Car Talk? Splendid Table?

No that is the weekday line up. Weekend is weird.

Morning Edition
    Car Talk
    Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    This American Life
    Fresh Air Weekend
    Radio Lab

And rarely do I listen past that. Sunday is mostly just PHC after Morning Edition.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    it is because gooey doesn't engage in debates really anymore he just shoots the shit in [chat] and apparently hangs out with people in texas or wherever he is

we have forgotten that he is a terrible person, deep down

i have not forgotten

NEVAR FORGET

your research is overfunded and does not produce anything of value to society at large

you should be privatized
    8-> *kiss kiss*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

Jesus H. Christ on a buttered roll that music is HORRIBLE!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Today on This American Life, we discuss basket weaving

*car runs off the road*

• Options
    What's the show on NPR where it's like, a whose line fake gameshow, only with soft spoken hokey english teachers making horrible jokes. Sub-dad jokes. Elementary school teacher jokes. That came on one day when I was driving and I was in awe of how terrible it was. My personal hell.

That show is fantastic and you are a terrible person. It's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me".

That show was, lit trilly, the most awful thing I have ever heard in my life. Humor so non-flammable that it leaked out of my radio and gave me mesothelioma.

Damned philistines unable to appreciate the value of a series of puns based on news of the day.
    Just turn the dial back to Stern!

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzy that's what they play on Saturday?

Wierd. Your NPR is hella weird. Where is Prairie Home Companion? Car Talk? Splendid Table?

No that is the weekday line up. Weekend is weird.

Morning Edition
    Car Talk
    Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    This American Life
    Fresh Air Weekend
    Radio Lab

And rarely do I listen past that. Sunday is mostly just PHC after Morning Edition.

Yeah, there you go that's more familiar.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    nobody gets to the olympics without the gubmint's help anyway

uncle sam deserves a cut

American athletes would preform better but they know a third of their winnings will go back to taxes so they're discouraged. "I could nail this dismount perfectly but then I'd have more paperwork to do in April. Better fake a bad landing to avoid that hassle."

Very little of it would end up being paid in taxes btw. All of their training expenses are deductible and most of them have little to no income beyond the medal awards. You'll get some small exceptions but those will be for the Olympians who rack up some serious endorsement money. Which will be Phelps and maybe the girls from the gymnastics team.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    it is because gooey doesn't engage in debates really anymore he just shoots the shit in [chat] and apparently hangs out with people in texas or wherever he is

i have not forgotten

NEVAR FORGET

your research is overfunded and does not produce anything of value to society at large

you should be privatized
    8-> *kiss kiss*

i actually had a breakdown the other day when I got to the section of my thesis proposal that was the "feasibilty and broader impacts"

I was like

shit shit shit shit there is no braoder impac

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i just want to play with beetles

quit eatin them

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    IF YOU CREDIT WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DEBIT I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU, DEEBASER

I got those bits down. I just have to study the shit out of Closings and pray that entry adjustments are still as easy as they seemed last nights.

fuckin t charts

how do dey werk

I
    DONT
    KNOW

• Options

well it will either have to be paul or ringo cause the others are dead i think

ba dum tsh

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    One of the better things NPR does is a podcast on Sunday's that covers the best international news of the week. You can get it on the app.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The BBC ran an article the other day suggesting that US olympians don't get financial support from their federations, and instead rely on commercial sponsorship.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

i have not forgotten

NEVAR FORGET

you should be privatized
    8-> *kiss kiss*

i actually had a breakdown the other day when I got to the section of my thesis proposal that was the "feasibilty and broader impacts"

I was like

shit shit shit shit there is no braoder impac

Potential licensing revenue from supervillians looking for massive well armed beetles.

• Options

well it will either have to be paul or ringo cause the others are dead i think

ba dum tsh

Yoko is still alive and she swallowed Lennon's soul long before he died

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Olympic Ping Pong Table Tennis is great, though. Endless multitasking possibilities. If I could put this on in the background while I did other things every year I would.

y'all can't multitask!

http://rapgenius.com/Future-same-damn-time-remix-lyrics#note-789756

• Options
    Former Daily Show correspondent Mo Rocca and former stand-up comedienne Paula Poundstone are funny people.

The Wait Wait Don't Tell Me hate is unearned.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Someone just defended the Hitler Youth as being civic-minded young go-getters in the Chick-Fil-A thread ...
    What. The. Fuck.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

uncle sam deserves a cut

There are a lot of talented, successful athletes who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so fit. There are a lot of fit people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great trainer somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the athletes could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

the thing that irked me about this speech wasn't the "you didn't build that" as much as the "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

that isn't why the internet was created at all!!

Whoa whoa hold on. When I took issue with that in the President thread I was history's worst fucking monster. Also every mook with a wikipedia tab open was suddenly Mister Internet History Major, talking to me like I thought gopher was an animal.

that is because i have descretely pushed off the mantle of "token conservative, act like an asshole to me" to you

i am now "that guy who i disagree with most of what he says, but can't figure out why"

We need a new conservative regular around here. I need to get in on this liberal ambivalence shit you've worked out.

Not to dig up old history, but there are a few things wrong with the recollection of events in here.

*eyes narrow*

Carry on.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    The BBC ran an article the other day suggesting that US olympians don't get financial support from their federations, and instead rely on commercial sponsorship.

This is pretty much true. We don't have any assistance outside of having some training facilities for most of our Olympic sports. There also are rarely organized groups supporting them. This is why Colbert put in the money helped make sure we had a speed skating team in '10 winter olympics and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Former Daily Show correspondent Mo Rocca and former stand-up comedienne Paula Poundstone are funny people.

mo rocca is incredibly unfunny and paula poundstone pounds kids

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Today on This American Life, we discuss basket weaving

*car runs off the road*

oh my GOD

we go from talking shit about car talk

to talking shit about ira glass

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

THE UNIVERSE IS TROLLING ME THAT IS THE ONLY EXPLAINATION

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Probably? I remember there was a little dust-up about the Olympic uniforms being made in China, and the sentiment from the US Olympic committee when pressed by Congress was basically "fuck you; we have to pay for all this ourselves"

• Options
    Ira Glass is the only man more annoying than mo rocca

• Options

uncle sam deserves a cut

There are a lot of talented, successful athletes who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so fit. There are a lot of fit people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great trainer somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the athletes could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

the thing that irked me about this speech wasn't the "you didn't build that" as much as the "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

that isn't why the internet was created at all!!

Whoa whoa hold on. When I took issue with that in the President thread I was history's worst fucking monster. Also every mook with a wikipedia tab open was suddenly Mister Internet History Major, talking to me like I thought gopher was an animal.

that is because i have descretely pushed off the mantle of "token conservative, act like an asshole to me" to you

i am now "that guy who i disagree with most of what he says, but can't figure out why"

We need a new conservative regular around here. I need to get in on this liberal ambivalence shit you've worked out.

Not to dig up old history, but there are a few things wrong with the recollection of events in here.

*eyes narrow*

Carry on.

Nobody with a Toby avatar can be all that conservative!

I bet you don't even prefer the status quo vs. change for the sake of changing.

• Options

right now I am that kid in the video whose family deleted his WOW account

just storming into my room, ripping off my shirt, slamming my body around

trying to shove a remote control up my ass

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

• Options

mo rocca will shove his wiimote up your ass

• Options

We should band together and destroy everyone who hates Ira Glass. If we do, there's a pretty good chance he'll interview us!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

people who dont like wwdtm can suk mah dik

poo
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Do you not hear his voice? So nasally.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZiYsYPAhek

• Options

Are you sure you're not just a misanthrope?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This is pretty much true. We don't have any assistance outside of having some training facilities for most of our Olympic sports. There also are rarely organized groups supporting them. This is why Colbert put in the money helped make sure we had a speed skating team in '10 winter olympics and such.

It makes you wonder how many potential medallists there are in the US that just never get the opportunity.

I remember Mark Cavendish saying the thing that kept him in cycling was that UK Sport paid him a salary for two years to train and compete. Otherwise he'd be a bank manager right now.

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsdWW7MOew&feature=player_embedded

This discussion has been closed.