As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] of Olympic Tat

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fox News on an athlete getting Iran's first gold medal: "IT'S IN THE BAGHDAD."

It's funny because all brown people are the same.

I don't see that but I did see - WTF - America taxes our athletes for their winnings after they bring home the gold. NO! Winners should not be taxed! They have brought glory to the nation.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/08/06/obama-backs-push-make-olympic-medal-prizes-tax-free/?test=latestnews

The Brits look at this in puzzlement. Our athletes don't get cash for winning medals; some of them get a stamp and the glory of having won.

(but yes, the US tax thing where you essentially get taxed twice is ridiculous).

Taxed twice how?

I only ask because "But double taxation!" is bandied about as an argument against Estate Tax by people who conveniently ignore that we already have multiple taxes on income, property, sales, etc.

It's the "worldwide" tax thing, and I'm gonna explain this wrong, but even if people get taxed on their income in the country they earn it, they also get taxed in the US. This is how I understand it, anyway.

(EDIT: of course, this doesn't count for the Olympics people 'cos they're not getting taxed on the money in the UK or anything, but I know there's a feeling that paying tax on earnings when it's from the Olympics is bad. I don't really agree but, meh).

Because of tax havens. Or else I'd find a country with 0 or negligible income tax, do everything there, and then bring my money back to the US for free. Under the current system, it's still possible to get around income tax for repatriated money, but it's much harder.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    good christ I need to remember my headphones when I come to lab

my labmate gets here first and plunks on NPR's talk show stream

I am beginning to turn into a conservative- I hear the talk shows going and just groaaan

I can't concentrate with someone constantly talking

also listening to NPR talk shows is like having someone read facebook statuses at you

Daytime NPR is where all the lefties cut their teeth. They learn how to apply subtlety to their bias, then they get promoted to All Things Considered.

;)

Seriously though it's no surprise. The daytime shows are non-good most of the time.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    sometimes i wake up in the morning and then just go run a thousand miles
    Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and then walk 500 miles.

Or, at least, I would...

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Fuck Yodel.

Think I'm done with Amazon. Cannot deal with Yodel anymore.

What is this yodel?

Perhaps the worst parcel delivery company ever. And Amazon use them. And you can't specify that you'd rather have Royal mail deliver (even if it means you have to wait longer).

Lame, we've got lazership or some such garbage over here that Amazon uses on occasion and usually sucks.

Lazership decided that hidden under my patio furniture with no notice of delivery in the middle of winter was good enough.

If found the package 4 days later while coming in through my porch after grocery shopping.
    man if i had a lazership i wouldn't work very hard at delivering either

i'd just wanna fly around and fire my lazers

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    YO ARE PEOPLE HATING ON THE OLYMPICS?

I will fight all of you

I'm very much not hating on the Olympics.

I'm not even hating on countries whose Olympic Committee gives cash (sometimes very significant amounts) out to athletes who win medals.

I am perhaps hating on those who feel that because they got an Olympic medal, the money given to them by their country should not be taxed.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the olympics are absolutely terrible

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Or, at least, I would...

I bet, given the right reason, you'd even walk 500 more.

Also, good evening.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    nobody gets to the olympics without the gubmint's help anyway

uncle sam deserves a cut

American athletes would preform better but they know a third of their winnings will go back to taxes so they're discouraged. "I could nail this dismount perfectly but then I'd have more paperwork to do in April. Better fake a bad landing to avoid that hassle."

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I guess what Im saying is fuck the olympics.

REPORT TO YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL REEDUCATION CAMP OR BE SENTENCED TO HARD LABOR, CITIZEN.

You'll have to send the US archery team to get me, because while you Five Ring Fanboys have been watching swimming, I've been Flething some Hawkeye-style multipurpose arrows.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

uncle sam deserves a cut

There are a lot of talented, successful athletes who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so fit. There are a lot of fit people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great trainer somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the athletes could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

no, you are

poo
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The Olympics exist to make nerds feel bad about themselves.

"Hey nerds look at me flip on these bars. You could never flip on these bars. Nerds!"

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    the new ipad has some good multi touch that I just learned about

4 finger swipe to change programs

5 finger pinch to close program and go to home screen

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Someone seems to be giving free cats to gold medal winners back home. THAT IS VERY NICE

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    NPR is good.

So isn't Eastern Standard Time.

• Options
    Seriously though it's no surprise. The daytime shows are non-good most of the time.

CAR

TALK

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Or, at least, I would...

Depending on your interpretation, that is a very sad song. D:

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I will fight all of you

I'm very much not hating on the Olympics.

I'm not even hating on countries whose Olympic Committee gives cash (sometimes very significant amounts) out to athletes who win medals.

I am perhaps hating on those who feel that because they got an Olympic medal, the money given to them by their country should not be taxed.

I will hold off on the locusts

for now

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    The Olympics exist to make nerds feel bad about themselves.

"Hey nerds look at me flip on these bars. You could never flip on these bars. Nerds!"

you can't swing this high babies

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Of course the Fox and other outlets have been making the assumption that these athletes are top tax brackets or something

most of them are really dirt poor and will pay very little tax on their winnings because of it

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    cars not cats, Dammit

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Admittedly, Car Talk sucks shit.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I baked you this pie elendil

and by pie I mean

dish full of locusts

I guess I didn't bake it either
    Fried-crickets-001.jpg

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    ITT: spool wants to defund NPR

And probably Planned Parenthood. Because he is a monster.

:bz

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ugh, kind of want to play DoW 2 multiplayer. But I don't want to just do a pick up game because I am awful now. But no one plays it anymore here. *sigh*

I have no idea what my free time over the next few days is going to be like, because a friend of mine is couch surfing at my place. But if you want to, we can give it a try this weekend. I've never played before but I'll probably poke around this week to figure things out.

Coo. Multiplayer is its own monster that is completely different from single player. The game is very micro heavy with pretty much 0 macro in the rts sense. Keeping squads alive through the game is important. You buy a small amount of units and have to micro all their abilities. It is a lot of fun but the skill level intro is pretty huge. Also throw in some random thanks to the cinematic animations and stuff it isn't balanced to perfection like starcraft. But it is also the best game to just sit and watch in big battles because it is so pretty.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Admittedly, Car Talk sucks shit.

PISTOLS

AT

DAWN

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Someone seems to be giving free cats to gold medal winners back home. THAT IS VERY NICE

Cats are free anyway!

Find the nearest dumpster. Reach inside and move your arm around. Pull out arm. There you go, free cats. Just throw the ones you don't want back in.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

uncle sam deserves a cut

There are a lot of talented, successful athletes who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so fit. There are a lot of fit people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great trainer somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the athletes could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

the thing that irked me about this speech wasn't the "you didn't build that" as much as the "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

that isn't why the internet was created at all!!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Fuck Yodel.

Think I'm done with Amazon. Cannot deal with Yodel anymore.

What is this yodel?

Perhaps the worst parcel delivery company ever. And Amazon use them. And you can't specify that you'd rather have Royal mail deliver (even if it means you have to wait longer).

Lame, we've got lazership or some such garbage over here that Amazon uses on occasion and usually sucks.

Lazership decided that hidden under my patio furniture with no notice of delivery in the middle of winter was good enough.

If found the package 4 days later while coming in through my porch after grocery shopping.

Some of my hatred for them is partially misplaced and should've gone to my apartment complex. Like, they always took packages from USPS at the front office and every other shipping company had to leave stuff at your door or whatever. So I got a notice from lazership that I'd missed a package and had to go pick it up from the front office. As soon as I got there I showed them the notice and they were like, nope, not possible, we only accept packages from usps, it couldn't be here, the driver must have written the slip intending to drop it off here and then just not corrected it after not being able to. So I call lasership, and I think it's friday night or something like that and they can't do anything to help me until they can get in contact with the actual delivery driver monday morning. So I wait, and he calls, and is like, I definitely left that package with the front office. I went back to the office, asked if they could check if there was a package for me and that I didn't have a notice for it and of course it was there.

That one was mostly the office's fault but I pretty much always end up having some kind of hold up when an order gets sent from them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Nomination submitted. Category: Worst person

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

Pfft. Not as good as being honoured for all time on a stamp.

(even if it is a car rather than a cat)

• Options
    i will just listen to wait wait don't tell me all the time yep

poo
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    I logged on today to find out that I'm "This Week's Leader" in some points and stuff. Booyah. Good on me for not coming by for a couple weeks.

Now I'm off to farm points. I'm thinking I'll just post some pictures of cats and puppies.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This motorized wheelchair store is called "Allure"

They selling some sexy wheelchairs in there.

• Options
    I'm Carl Kasell, and here's your host, at the Chase Bank Auditorium in downtown Chicago, Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter Sagal!

poo
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I guess what Im saying is fuck the olympics.

REPORT TO YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL REEDUCATION CAMP OR BE SENTENCED TO HARD LABOR, CITIZEN.

You'll have to send the US archery team to get me, because while you Five Ring Fanboys have been watching swimming, I've been Flething some Hawkeye-style multipurpose arrows.

you

me

zucotti park

8:30ish

cause i have to get on a plane

and then sometimes the cab line can be really long at la guardia

and if my cabbie tries to take a bridge over it will add like another 15 minutes at least

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I will fight all of you

You wanna go 9 rounds for the Gold?
    (You will be taxed on the Gold)

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen.

What. The. Hell.

Someone get this man a copy of Rocky IV, stat.

• Options
    I am ragin at this car talk libel

This discussion has been closed.