Options

The Simpsons Movie arrives... May god have mercy on us all

• Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alpine wrote: »
    Wow.

Nudity. I had heard it would be there, but I never expected! I could hear the hands of parents covering the young ones' eyes.

i thought that and the opening were the best parts of the movie.

and milhouse, obviously. milhouse is gold.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This movie severely lacked any soul behind its characters. Every single character was one dimensional and flat. But this was to be expected. The show has been that was for almost a decade. The last time a Simpson's episode actually made me feel for one of it's characters was fart too long ago.

It's sad really, the characters being flat has nothing to do with the length of the show, it all has to do with the writing. The characters are no longer self aware.

Bart gets and F - Bart slowly over the episode faces the fact that he's not very bright. At the end of the episode after actually putting in an effort, he still fails and breaks down about it.

Bart VS Thanksgiving - Bart destroys something Lisa worked very hard on and is told to apologize. Instead he runs aways. Seeing how hard life on the street is he realized how lucky he's got it. He goes home and realizes how upset he made his sister. After a monologue about how he doesn't know why he does bad thing he realizes how his sister feels and apologizes to her.

The Way We Was - The TV breaks and Marge and Homer tell the kids the story of them first meeting. The story shows a more self conscience Homer. He fails to woo Marge, and that failure eventually is what brings them together.

One Fish Two Fish Blowfish Blue Fish - Homer eats some bad sushi and is told he only has a day to live. He tries to fit everything he ever wanted to do in his life into one day. He realizes over the course of the day how he hasn't been living his life to the fullest. By the end of the episode he is a changed man and will live his life to the fullest.

Every single one of these second season episodes has one of the characters examining who they are and coming to realizations about themselves that are actually deep. If you look at the movie, however, none of the characters really learn anything. None of the characters really change. All of the characters are given one characteristic and let loose with it. Homer is dumb, Bart is ashamed by his father, Lisa likes a boy, Marge is unhappy that Homer is dumb.

It's just so... bland.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Season 11 had both the Focusin and Tommaco episodes... Those two episodes alone are almost equal in quality to dogshit.
    I fixed that for you.

Edit: In fact, looking at the episode list for Season 11, the only one I actually remember enjoying was the "Behind the Music" parody.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Season 11 had both the Focusin and Tommaco episodes... thus completely negating any possible point you could make. Those two episodes alone are almost equal in quality to anything that came before season 11, with the possible exception of Lisa the Vegetarian and, of course, the Monorail episode.

Also, I thought the movie was pretty great... would have been better with some Conan O'Brian writing, but over all it was very good.

I'm going to have to agree with Target Practice here. Of the four eps you cited only Monorail is good (one of the best really). The others rank among my most hated episodes.
    The part with Alaska and everyone on the run felt like filler though. In the end, not much really happens and there aren't that many good gags.

That part did have one great gag, when Bart defaced the wanted poster.
    Treeloot wrote: »
    I thought the movie was pretty good although I didn't think Greenday fit in very well.

Loved the prompter, though
    DA DA DA DA
    DA DA DA DA
    DA DA DA DA
    DA DA DA DA

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What was wrong with Lisa the Vegetarian?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ya know what, I take that back. I confused it with the one where she becomes a Buddhist. God I hated that episode.

Oh I remember what I didn't like in Lisa the Vegetarian... the Paul & Linda McCartney scene. One of the most egregious guest spots. The rest of it is brilliant though. It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good! The extra B is for BYOBB. What's that extra B for? That's a typo.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I came into the movie without any expectations and came through only mildly disappointed. However, if Groening really wanted this to be the capstone to 20 seasons, this didn't quite fit the bill.

Also, for the audience that were in attendance with me:

Protip: Reading the written jokes aloud, then laughing uproariously afterwards greatly diminishes the comedic value presented.

Finally:
    Maggie: Sequel? Me: *Groans*

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ya know what, I take that back. I confused it with the one where she becomes a Buddhist. God I hated that episode.

Oh I remember what I didn't like in Lisa the Vegetarian... the Paul & Linda McCartney scene. One of the most egregious guest spots. The rest of it is brilliant though. It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good! The extra B is for BYOBB. What's that extra B for? That's a typo.

I think the Paul & Linda McCartney scene probably worked better before the celebrity cameos became gratuitous. It was funny because it was out of nowhere and didn't really make sense.

But of course, neither do any of the modern cameos, only we're supposed to ignore that fact now.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I think the movie is superior to the episodes we get these days, but not quite good enough for the classic stuff. As a movie, on its own, it was solid enough.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Season 11 had both the Focusin and Tommaco episodes... Those two episodes alone are almost equal in quality to dogshit.
    I fixed that for you.

Edit: In fact, looking at the episode list for Season 11, the only one I actually remember enjoying was the "Behind the Music" parody.

Are you kidding me? The Behind the Music episode is possibly the worst episode in the entire run of the Simpsons. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I think it's a matter of FOX audiences responding better to complete assholes.

See: Every Sitcom and non-kiddie animation on FOX.
    More like almost everything that tried to be funny, ever. If you want to be funny, there`s nothing more convenient than an asshole. Because "funny" is when bad things happen to people. And assholes are both a good source and a satisfying target for bad things.

When Bart was the "bad boy" of the show, he was the most popular character. Coincident? I think not.

Needle on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I fixed that for you.

Are you kidding me? The Behind the Music episode is possibly the worst episode in the entire run of the Simpsons. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The Behind the Laughter episode was far from great, but it's also far, far from the worst episode. Hell, I'd be inclined to give that honor to the Tomacco ep, but from what I've seen recent seasons have been even worse. That ep was more or less where I stopped watching as a regular thing. I didn't stop completely until the 13th season, I think.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I fixed that for you.

The Behind the Laughter episode was far from great, but it's also far, far from the worst episode. Hell, I'd be inclined to give that honor to the Tomacco ep, but from what I've seen recent seasons have been even worse. That ep was more or less where I stopped watching as a regular thing. I didn't stop completely until the 13th season, I think.

Well, I guess this is why the Simpson's has been able to stay on as long as it has... some peoples favorite episodes are some peoples least favorites... and everyone has a different idea of which season was the Simpson's "peak" (I think season 11 was the start of the decline, personally, but I can see others feel differently).

As far as Tommacco goes, how can you hate an episode that had a Southern pistol dueler with a bumper sticker that says "Honk if you demand satisfaction." I don't get the hate myself.

About the only thing any Simpson's fan can ever agree on is the greatness of the Monorail episode, but even that leads to that episode being hyped beyond its quality.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The Southern Colonel was the only thing that ep had going for it.

And I'd say the series started to decline around season seven. The third thru sixth seasons are easily the best.

That said, the 7th, 8th and 9th seasons still had a lot of good episodes.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    No sideshow Bob? that makes me sad.

Other than that I found it a better than average extra long episode with better animation.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It depends on what type of humor you ike. 3-8 where the more serious family oriented simpsons. they were funny but there was almost always a moral and people learned lessons. Around season 8 or so they started trying to compete with more vulgar new shows like Southpark and the humor took a different turn. Thier eps got increasingly more disjointed, ridiculous and unbelievable. The Tomacco ep, the Mr X ep and the Focusin and such were products of thier mindset. I think they had some bloody brillant epsiodes in the 8-12 era, includng those three, but they lack some of the depth of the earlier ones. They were less consistent too with some real big flops.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No sideshow Bob? that makes me sad.

Other than that I found it a better than average extra long episode with better animation.

The new season is supposed to have Sideshow Bob, Cecil (finally!) and their father, voiced by John Mahoney.

The last few Sideshow Bob outings have not been good... but who knows...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It depends on what type of humor you ike. 3-8 where the more serious family oriented simpsons. they were funny but there was almost always a moral and people learned lessons. Around season 8 or so they started trying to compete with more vulgar new shows like Southpark and the humor took a different turn. Thier eps got increasingly more disjointed, ridiculous and unbelievable. The Tomacco ep, the Mr X ep and the Focusin and such were products of thier mindset. I think they had some bloody brillant epsiodes in the 8-12 era, includng those three, but they lack some of the depth of the earlier ones. They were less consistent too with some real big flops.

I agree with this completely. The later seasons were much worse overall, with just a few gems scattered here and there. The earlier seasons were more consistent in terms of quality.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw a season 18 episode the other day. Grandpa married Selma.

Grandpa married Selma

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

Grandpa married Selma

That makes how many times she's been married?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not entirely what I said there. I don't think the show became unwatchable until like 3 or 4 years ago. I liked the bulk of the "mid-era", meaning 8-12th seasons, epsiodes. I'm saying there was a fundemental shift in the sense of humor of the show. The earlier seasons were pretty much a cartoon family sitcom. It slowly morphed into more of a parody of the genre by using more ridiculous storylines and relying more heavily on referencial humor.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought Behind the Laughter, Tomacco, and Focusin were all great episodes. In fact, those were probably the only good episodes of Season 11, except for maybe the missionary episode and the tap dancing episode. Those were good too.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Grandpa married Selma

Haha, that one was weird but the weirdness got a lot of laughs out of me. I liked how everyone was like D:

The best "new" episode I've seen recently was one where the sub-plot involved Bart and Lisa ordering free boxes from UPS and building a fort. Then the UPS drivers showed up to collect their boxes and an epic battle ensued. I think it was from this last season, actually. Maybe season 17.

Behind the Laughter was different, but I laughed like hell. As a parody of "Behind the Music" type shows it was hilarious. Hyper-literal imagery for the win. The announcer asking rhetorical questions and then immediately answering them. Stuff like that cracks me up.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    edit: "and you're only saying that because everybody hates on the new seasons blah blah blah"

no. stop it. i'm sick of this argument, that somebody can't objectively look at an episode of something from season three and realize how much better it is than something from season 13. there's an obvious drop-off in quality that you can't just ignore by saying "NUH UH YOU'RE JUST A MEANIE"

here's something fun to do: listen to the voice acting in seasons 3-7 or 8, when they really got into the characters. now listen to them now. they sound like freakin parodies of themselves; they're louder and don't have nearly as much subtlety. i don't know what's happened, but the overall quality of the voice acting has gone way downhill. they used to just be voices. now they're cartoon voices, if that makes sense

Their voices bug me now too, I know they change slightly over the years but it's just one more thing that I can't stand about the new stuff. Especially Marge. And Homer always seems to be yelling or something stupid. I also miss everyone's slightly googly bigger eyes, they were so cute!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I remember watching an episode where Bart and Milhouse break into Flanders' house. For some reason.

And then they eat all the peanut butter. And Bart goes, "Haha, these suckers are out of peanut butter!"

And then Milhouse goes "durr durr I know how to make more"

And of course, it involves shoving peanuts and butter in a blender

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The movie was great. Much better than I thought it would be.
    Those to cops marching toward Marge only to take a turn by her and start making out was just hilarious.
    also
    Bart draws on the wanted sign. "There they are!" Pan over to hideously disfigured Simpson family look-alikes

Yeah, it was short, but I think that they didn't want it to get too stale or boring. I think it worked, but I still would've liked a little slower pace with more of the minor characters.

Damn, I just thought of
    Moe getting robbed when the lights go out
    SO good.

Very good movie.

Cojo Mojo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Best line of the movie was Homer saying to the pig
    "should we just kiss to break the tension?"

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not entirely what I said there. I don't think the show became unwatchable until like 3 or 4 years ago. I liked the bulk of the "mid-era", meaning 8-12th seasons, epsiodes. I'm saying there was a fundemental shift in the sense of humor of the show. The earlier seasons were pretty much a cartoon family sitcom. It slowly morphed into more of a parody of the genre by using more ridiculous storylines and relying more heavily on referencial humor.

Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent you. I do agree with you though about the show becoming a parody of itself. However, I think any time a show has been on that long it is just bound to happen, even if it just due to incredibly lazy writing. It happened with Family Guy much, much earlier then with the Simpson's.

Futurama escaped that fate, but only because they were cancelled so early. Scrubs is currently experiencing it. Just my thoughts.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Futurama escaped that fate, but only because they were cancelled so early. Scrubs is currently experiencing it. Just my thoughts.

i was always terrified that Futurama was going to eventually go downhill, because if had been able to keep up what it was doing for another 3-4 seasons, in my mind it would unseat the simpsons as best animated series of all time.

i man, you watch futurama's last season and there's a few slow episodes with not that great premises, but they're still AMAZING. "Love and Rocket" has probably the most layered joke in existence, during the montage of Bender and the Planet Express Ship dating, where Bender sings "DAISY DAISY, GIVE ME YOUR ANSWER, DO. I'M HALF CRAZY ALL FOR THE LOVE OF YOU. IT WON'T BE A STYLISH MARRIAGE, I CAN'T AFFORD A CARRIAGE. BUT YOU'LL LOOK SWEET UPON THE SEAT OF A BICYCLE BUILT FOR TWO"

that joke works on at least three levels. i love it

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Hah, I loved the part where
    Bart loses Flander's Fishing Rod and goes into automatic strangling mode.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    I also miss everyone's slightly googly bigger eyes, they were so cute!

actually what's funny about that is the huge eyes were a result of a mistake by the korean animators that wasn't found out until they had already produced like 7 episodes for season 3 (i think), and so they said "aw the hell with it" and gradually changed them back to "normal" after a few seasons

Pants Man on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Grandpa married Selma

Haha, that one was weird but the weirdness got a lot of laughs out of me. I liked how everyone was like D:

The best "new" episode I've seen recently was one where the sub-plot involved Bart and Lisa ordering free boxes from UPS and building a fort. Then the UPS drivers showed up to collect their boxes and an epic battle ensued. I think it was from this last season, actually. Maybe season 17.

I think those two were the same episode.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »

Grandpa married Selma

I think those two were the same episode.

Oh-ho. No wonder I couldn't remember the main story of the UPS episode, I'd blocked it to protect my sanity.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

i was always terrified that Futurama was going to eventually go downhill, because if had been able to keep up what it was doing for another 3-4 seasons, in my mind it would unseat the simpsons as best animated series of all time.

i man, you watch futurama's last season and there's a few slow episodes with not that great premises, but they're still AMAZING. "Love and Rocket" has probably the most layered joke in existence, during the montage of Bender and the Planet Express Ship dating, where Bender sings "DAISY DAISY, GIVE ME YOUR ANSWER, DO. I'M HALF CRAZY ALL FOR THE LOVE OF YOU. IT WON'T BE A STYLISH MARRIAGE, I CAN'T AFFORD A CARRIAGE. BUT YOU'LL LOOK SWEET UPON THE SEAT OF A BICYCLE BUILT FOR TWO"

The last season or two of Futurama had a LOT of bad episodes. The worst being "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television". Christ, that was horrible.

On the other hand, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings was pretty awesome.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The last season or two of Futurama had a LOT of bad episodes. The worst being "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television". Christ, that was horrible.

I enjoyed that episode, and quite a few others from that season if I remember correctly.

And who the hell called the missionary episode of the Simpsons from season 11 good? That episode is probably where I stopped watching entirely. The jockey episode didn't help either.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

that one wasn't great, but come on, horrible? i think that's a little harsh.

"And so I ask you this one question: Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?"

Pants Man on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

here's something fun to do: listen to the voice acting in seasons 3-7 or 8, when they really got into the characters. now listen to them now. they sound like freakin parodies of themselves; they're louder and don't have nearly as much subtlety. i don't know what's happened, but the overall quality of the voice acting has gone way downhill. they used to just be voices. now they're cartoon voices, if that makes sense

like all other shows that go that long, it becomes a parody of itself. the characters being caricatures of themselves.

it's normal. some shows do it well, some don't. overall I'd say simpsons does it well, though this does not deny a drop in quality.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Every single one of these second season episodes has one of the characters examining who they are and coming to realizations about themselves that are actually deep. If you look at the movie, however, none of the characters really learn anything. None of the characters really change. All of the characters are given one characteristic and let loose with it. Homer is dumb, Bart is ashamed by his father, Lisa likes a boy, Marge is unhappy that Homer is dumb.

It's just so... bland.

except for the part where homer does learn something, and does change, you'd be right.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

I enjoyed that episode, and quite a few others from that season if I remember correctly.

And who the hell called the missionary episode of the Simpsons from season 11 good? That episode is probably where I stopped watching entirely. The jockey episode didn't help either.

The only stand-out bad episode of Futurama is hte one with the Space Bee Jelly and Leela thinking she killed Fry.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The only stand-out bad episode of Futurama is hte one with the Space Bee Jelly and Leela thinking she killed Fry.

WHAT

"why am i sticky and naked? did i miss something fun?"

Pants Man on