As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Simpsons Movie arrives... May god have mercy on us all

• Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Right, Scorpio would make no sense. I love Scorpio too but just because it's Albert Brooks doesn't mean it should be him. He was a one-shot character and it would have changed the movie a lot.

Also, it's not McBain, it's Arnold. I'm betting part of the reason they did this was just to stir folks a bit, far from a first if true.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    I didn't get a donut...

Me neither.

:(

They were selling those donuts at the cinema I saw it in.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw the movie at the drive in, and I thought it was pretty decent overall. But I think the best part of the movie was when
    everyone was watching Homer ride around the dome with the bomb, and Otto just looks up after taking a rip off the bong and goes "What?"

But I was disappointed at the lack of screentime for Snake. Was he even in the movie?

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    entropykid wrote: »
    Wow, so forget about where Springfield is really located, nudity, who dies, and all the other big revelations.

The most shocking part about the Simpsons movie thats revealed is...
    the US government tries to stage a major terror attack in an American city and monitors citizen's conversations through the NSA...oh and Disney is an evil corporation.

Thank GOODNESS it's only a cartoon! :)

I wonder if Matt Groening has a tinfoil hat, or is trying to tell us something?

Oh yeah, I knew there was something funny about Ralph:)

Meh. I've read somewhere that Groening admits that Lisa voices his political ideas, so it's a pretty fair bet which side of the political divide he sits on (come on. Groening is even starting to look like a hippie nowadays). Frankly, as I watched the movie I started thinking "Oh god, she's not gonna start talking again is she?" whenever Lisa showed up.

Yeah Disney's an evil corporation Matt, Just like the one that pays your salary.

Matthew on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't see how anyone could be so annoyed by Lisa talking about the environment when the nuclear power plant being a blight on Springfield's landscape has been a plot point for years and Lisa's activism has been the crux of so many great episodes. At the very least, you should be used to it, or at least be able to tolerate it when it occurs only in the first few portions of the film and is necessary to get the story started.

Though I guess it must have been pretty irritating to see the people of Springfield attacking Green Day at the very mention of environmentalism, because obviously that scene was speaking directly to anyone who'd find Lisa an annoyance simply because she was acting in-character.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, this movie made me laugh so fucking hard.
    We're going to need more birds!

Had me laughing so fucking hard, which was then followed by
    The animals standing cheerily in the corner, then BOOM. Their faces sag as marge and homer have sex.

I nearly cried from laughing. Fucking hilarious. My only serious complaint?
    Come on, no fucking side show bob?! Kelsey Grammer had even recorded lines!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and I also got some duff beer and buzz cola. And a pink donut with sprinkles.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, this movie made me laugh so fucking hard.
    We're going to need more birds!

Had me laughing so fucking hard, which was then followed by
    The animals standing cheerily in the corner, then BOOM. Their faces sag as marge and homer have sex.

I nearly cried from laughing. Fucking hilarious. My only serious complaint?
    Come on, no fucking side show bob?! Kelsey Grammer had even recorded lines!

Did he really?

That makes me a sad panda, I love side show bob.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    Right, Scorpio would make no sense. I love Scorpio too but just because it's Albert Brooks doesn't mean it should be him. He was a one-shot character and it would have changed the movie a lot.

Also, it's not McBain, it's Arnold. I'm betting part of the reason they did this was just to stir folks a bit, far from a first if true.

Groening said he chose to use arnold because he thought putting in Bush would date the film.

...then they make a "scratchy/hillary '08" joke.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I would have guessed it was because non-Simpsons fans wouldn't necessarily know who McBain is, though thinly veiled Schwartzenneger parody pretty much explains itself.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saw it last night

Liked it quite a bit. Kinda wish they gave the minor characters some more screentime though.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't see how anyone could be so annoyed by Lisa talking about the environment when the nuclear power plant being a blight on Springfield's landscape has been a plot point for years and Lisa's activism has been the crux of so many great episodes. At the very least, you should be used to it, or at least be able to tolerate it when it occurs only in the first few portions of the film and is necessary to get the story started.

Though I guess it must have been pretty irritating to see the people of Springfield attacking Green Day at the very mention of environmentalism, because obviously that scene was speaking directly to anyone who'd find Lisa an annoyance simply because she was acting in-character.

Ah, it's more of personal opinion of mine really. I can understand that not everyone would agree with me on it. Lisa's lack of character development over the movie just annoyed me, that's all. Everybody else in the family got it, except Lisa.

Matthew on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saw it last night, it was pretty dang funny. I went in prepared to be dissapointed, and I came out pretty dang happy I had seen it.

Although better might have been the guys I overheard afterward: "Anyone laughing at that hasn't seen an episode in the past month!"

Yeah dude. They really have been rehashing material for like, a month.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was just happy to see Marge do something worthwhile. If any character has suffered through the past few seasons, it's her. Remember when she was supposed to be a timid woman who normally lacked the confidence to express the intelligence and creativity that lay hidden inside her, but nonetheless found an outlet for both in a family that desperately needed her guidance to stay together?

Now she's going crazy with 'roid rage, getting breast implants and becoming a pin-up girl, putting up with her husband largely through denial rather than true love, and displaying an outright obsession with home-making because suddenly that's all she knows how to do.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't see how anyone could be so annoyed by Lisa talking about the environment when the nuclear power plant being a blight on Springfield's landscape has been a plot point for years and Lisa's activism has been the crux of so many great episodes.

lisa's activism is fine when it fits into the context of the show, but increasingly it's just her being used as the writer's mouthpiece for whatever issue they want to bitch about. she used to be the moral conscience of the family; when homer stole cable, she was the one who turned him around. but now it's just "how often can we let lisa (and therefore us) get on her soapbox and tell everyone how dumb they are?"

he beginning of the movie was a perfect example of this, with the town meeting and "an irritating truth." i just wish they'd make lisa realize how incredibly grating she is more often when it comes to that.

Paul: Linda and I both feel strongly about animal rights. In fact, if
    you play "Maybe I'm Amazed" backwards, you'll hear a recipe for a
    really ripping lentil soup.

Lisa: When will all those fools learn that you can be perfectly healthy
    simply eating vegetables, fruits, grains and cheese.

Apu: Oh, cheese!

Lisa: You don't eat cheese, Apu?

Apu: No I don't eat any food that comes from an animal.

Lisa: Ohh, then you must think I'm a monster!

Apu: Yes indeed I do think that. But, I learned long ago Lisa to
    tolerate others rather than forcing my beliefs on them. You know
    you can influence people without badgering them always. It's like
    Paul's song, "Live and Let Live".

Paul: Actually, it was "Live and Let Die".

Apu: Well, whatever, whatever. it had a good rhythm.

lisa is a much much better character when they're dealing with her insecurities about being smart and socially awkward. ie, "the summer of 4ft 2". and yeah, the power plant has been the way they talk about environmental stuff, so there's no reason to keep bashing it over our heads with lisa all the damn time. besides, she's already had a crush on an environmentalist and done pretty much exactly what she did in this movie several times

edit: and homer was pretty much the ultimate "jerkass homer" in the movie, which really annoyed me. he used to be a jerk sometimes, but not because he was just an asshole, he was just ignorant or didn't realize other people's feelings. in the movie he's just an outright fuckhead 75% of the time, which makes the ending even more ridiculous.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    now that i think about it, i think a way to have made this movie better would been to have made the screwing over of springfield a team effort by the simpson family. since they're all supposedly flawed characters, they could all screw up in their special way to create a huge shitstorm of screw uppery that leads to the them being run out of town. which also gives them all a reason to overcome their flaws in their own way, at least for a while.

i think i'd like that movie a hell of a lot more than "aw homer screws up again now marge is mad how is he going to redeem himself?" for the thousandth time

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    now that i think about it, i think a way to have made this movie better would been to have made the screwing over of springfield a team effort by the simpson family. since they're all supposedly flawed characters, they could all screw up in their special way to create a huge shitstorm of screw uppery that leads to the them being run out of town. which also gives them all a reason to overcome their flaws in their own way, at least for a while.

i think i'd like that movie a hell of a lot more than "aw homer screws up again now marge is mad how is he going to redeem himself?" for the thousandth time

That's a really good point, and it would have broken the formula that Simpsons stories have fallen into.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Heh, just like the ending of Little Miss Sunshine.

Also, loved the Big Fish reference.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    he was exactly ignorant of other's feelings in this movie... not just a "jerkass".

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    he was exactly ignorant of other's feelings in this movie... not just a "jerkass".

right, he was a jerkass AND ignorant of other people's feelings. in the past, he didn't have that jerkass part where he would be openly malicious towards people.

the homer who sold his blimp ticket to make his daughter feel better > the homer who tells his marge what she said is stupid and generally acts like a douche

Pants Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey, there, Blimpy Boy.

Flying so careless and fancy-free.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It needed more Itchy + Scratchy. That was by far the best part.

Shoot, just give them their own movie.

The rest got some laughs, but it felt a little ridiculously silly at times.

I loved the background comedy.
    And their jumping Springfield Gorge? Perfect.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

right, he was a jerkass AND ignorant of other people's feelings. in the past, he didn't have that jerkass part where he would be openly malicious towards people.

the homer who sold his blimp ticket to make his daughter feel better > the homer who tells his marge what she said is stupid and generally acts like a douche

whatever. I meant "not just" as in there was more to it. not that he was both.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

whatever. I meant "not just" as in there was more to it. not that he was both.

WHO CARES the point is that homer now is much more of an asshole than he was 10-15 years ago. that bothers me, because it's hard to watch a show or a movie about a guy who's an unapologetic jerk. especially since he wasn't always like that.

Pants Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright. I just don't find it hard at all.

edit - and he is apologetic. he literally apologized.

Variable on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's a matter of FOX audiences responding better to complete assholes.

See: Every Sitcom and non-kiddie animation on FOX.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I paid $132 goddamn dollars to see this goddamn movie.

$21 for midnight showing tickets. Car breaks down JUST OUTSIDE OF TOWN on the way to the theater.

$90 to fix the damn car. Got a free tow, though. A suburban pulled my car with a rope while I steered, at 1am, in blinding rain. That was fun.

$21 for tickets, again, since we didn't make it the first time and the theater's attitude on refunds is "too bad for you."

In the end... was it worth it? Yes. Very funny movie, funniest I've seen in a long time. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see Sideshow Bob anywhere, but that's a frivolous complaint.

I feel like I deserve a free DVD of the movie, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shit.

Did you.. did you d'oh?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

So if I walk up to you, knee you as hard as I can in the balls, repeatedly, and then say "sorry", I'm not a complete cunt? Because that's what Homer is like now. A huge, fishy cunt.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Duki wrote: »

So if I walk up to you, knee you as hard as I can in the balls, repeatedly, and then say "sorry", I'm not a complete cunt? Because that's what Homer is like now. A huge, fishy cunt.

you'd be a cunt, but not an unapologetic cunt.

Variable on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, there, Blimpy Boy.

Flying through the sky so fancy-free.

Fix'd.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I got back from the movie, and it really wasn't that bad. I agree with the assessment that on a quality scale, I'd put it somewhere around season 8 or 9 (and I consider anything from 11-on unwatchable). I had free tickets, but I'd still consider it worth a matinee price, if you're on the fence.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was amazed at the number of really young children that were there when I saw the Simpsons. It seems like parents just see animated and think "yeah, I'm sure that even though this movie is rated PG-13 it's appropriate for my 5 year old."

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Matthew wrote: »
    Meh. I've read somewhere that Groening admits that Lisa voices his political ideas, so it's a pretty fair bet which side of the political divide he sits on (come on. Groening is even starting to look like a hippie nowadays). Frankly, as I watched the movie I started thinking "Oh god, she's not gonna start talking again is she?" whenever Lisa showed up.

Yeah Disney's an evil corporation Matt, Just like the one that pays your salary.

And they make fun of FOX all the damn time... Lisa wouldn't voice any particular political views, being that dozens of people have written her. Matt does not have final say, total control over what the characters say or do. It's well known that he leans left though.

For fuck's sake, go back and watch the earlier seasons. Homer has been an incredibly stupid asshole for years. About the only time he wasn't was in the first two years. It's cool to hate on the new seasons though so you keep on it.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was amazed at the number of really young children that were there when I saw the Simpsons. It seems like parents just see animated and think "yeah, I'm sure that even though this movie is rated PG-13 it's appropriate for my 5 year old."

America as a whole has trouble seeing animation as anything other than children's entertainment, which is ridiculous since the most notable animated shows of the past several years have mostly been targeted at adults. Meanwhile, children's animation has been all but supplanted by CG films and Japanese imports with the only exception that comes to mind being Spongebob Squarepants.

I know there are other good children's cartoons out there (Foster's), but most adults don't know anything about them.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I didn't think it was any more inappropriate than Transformers, and that was at actually marketed at kids with Lunchable promotions and such.

I thought the movie was pretty good although I didn't think Greenday fit in very well.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I got back from the movie, and it really wasn't that bad. I agree with the assessment that on a quality scale, I'd put it somewhere around season 8 or 9 (and I consider anything from 11-on unwatchable). I had free tickets, but I'd still consider it worth a matinee price, if you're on the fence.

Season 11 had both the Focusin and Tommaco episodes... thus completely negating any possible point you could make. Those two episodes alone are almost equal in quality to anything that came before season 11, with the possible exception of Lisa the Vegetarian and, of course, the Monorail episode.

Also, I thought the movie was pretty great... would have been better with some Conan O'Brian writing, but over all it was very good.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    For fuck's sake, go back and watch the earlier seasons. Homer has been an incredibly stupid asshole for years. About the only time he wasn't was in the first two years. It's cool to hate on the new seasons though so you keep on it.

yeah, i own every season from 1-9. starting with the Ian Maxtone-Graham years, jerkass homer comes up more and more. he's always been incredibly stupid, but he didn't start doing things like running out on his dad on a kidney transplant or being a "prank monkey" until seson 9 or 10.

the worst thing he does in season three is probably managing lurleen, and he avoided all her advances. for as pissed as marge gets, homer doesn't actually DO anything.

the worst thing he does in season four is forget to pick up bart from soccer practice and other assorted stuff that isn't mean spirited, just dumb

in season five, homer actually gives up millions to see maggie happy. the worst thing he does here is spill secrets about his marriage, which is pretty bad, but it's also the first time of many that marge kicks him out. i dunno, in this one instance in season five he is a pretty big asshole instead of just a dumb guy.

in season six, he really doesn't do anything except maybe stoke the lisa/bart rivalry

i could go on, but the point is that through the first 7 or 8 seasons or so, homer is almost never malicious, and all the crappy stuff he does is mainly a result of his being dumb. what homer pulled at the krustyburger with bart in the movie, for instance, is way way beyond anything he woulda done at the beginning of the series.

edit: "and you're only saying that because everybody hates on the new seasons blah blah blah"

no. stop it. i'm sick of this argument, that somebody can't objectively look at an episode of something from season three and realize how much better it is than something from season 13. there's an obvious drop-off in quality that you can't just ignore by saying "NUH UH YOU'RE JUST A MEANIE"

here's something fun to do: listen to the voice acting in seasons 3-7 or 8, when they really got into the characters. now listen to them now. they sound like freakin parodies of themselves; they're louder and don't have nearly as much subtlety. i don't know what's happened, but the overall quality of the voice acting has gone way downhill. they used to just be voices. now they're cartoon voices, if that makes sense

Pants Man on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The first half of the film is sheer gold. The end sequence is pretty great too. The part with Alaska and everyone on the run felt like filler though. In the end, not much really happens and there aren't that many good gags.

It's also a very, very short movie. The total running time is 85 minutes apparently, less once you disregard the Itchy and Scratchy short and the opening credits, which makes it all the more dissapointing that the middle of the film isn't more substantial.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow.

Nudity. I had heard it would be there, but I never expected! I could hear the hands of parents covering the young ones' eyes.

Alpine on