As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Waiting to hear from Hypatia on whether or not this was indeed a Grinch-free Christmas

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Got myself a preeeeeeetty awesome gift in the mail today from my good ol' Secret Santa! :)

HOWEVER I am lé busy this afternoon, so I'll take pictures and do a write-up tonight. Thank you Santa!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, you live in Toronto too and resisted the urge to go all "creepy stalker" on me? I don't know whether to celebrate your basic human decency or be mildly disappointed.
    Nah, I'd never be disappointed in Santa. <3

It crossed my mind, but the holidays got a bit hectic and I figured it was better just to ensure my Santa's were properly gifted.

Also you were just so adorable as you slept I didn't want to disturb you. Any moreso than necessary that is.

Also also, lazy, etc.

Actually, my G&T Santa from a few years back was another local, and we ended up meeting at the Eaton Centre where she gave me my gifts.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh man, you live in Toronto too and resisted the urge to go all "creepy stalker" on me? I don't know whether to celebrate your basic human decency or be mildly disappointed.

It crossed my mind, but the holidays got a bit hectic and I figured it was better just to ensure my Santa's were properly gifted.

Also you were just so adorable as you slept I didn't want to disturb you. Any moreso than necessary that is.

Also also, lazy, etc.

Actually, my G&T Santa from a few years back was another local, and we ended up meeting at the Eaton Centre where she gave me my gifts.

:winky:

I've only been in this Secret Santa twice, and my first Santa was only a few minutes away from me by the car I do not have. But anyway, did we ever get closure on that one Santee who had a garbage bag left on their front step?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    It was a body.
    Their present was the joy of being on trial.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    It was a body.
    Their present was the joy of being on trial.

"Dear Santee, do you remember that bully who made your highschool years such an insufferable misery? Well..."

forumsig.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Just finished ME1 a few weeks ago for the first time ever, fired up 2 and the slight changes are annoying at first but loving the progression.

Worried about these "changes" haha.

Oh well, just gonna have fun with it and enjoy my time.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Just finished ME1 a few weeks ago for the first time ever, fired up 2 and the slight changes are annoying at first but loving the progression.

Worried about these "changes" haha.

Oh well, just gonna have fun with it and enjoy my time.

If you're anything like me you'll dislike the changes but finish the game anyway, but will still be annoyed enough to not bother with the 3rd game at all.

But for your sake I hope you're not anything like me.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Also also, lazy, etc.

Now that's more like it!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So after many FedEx problems I can finally say, thank you @Cambiata !

Honestly, such gifting! You really blew away the back to work in the new year blues.

So without further ado...

Gifts!

The first thing I see is a letter, slightly soggy and breaks pretty easily (therefore no picture I'm afraid) but its traveled a great distance so its understandable. Apparently I'm tough to buy for, I didn't think it would have been that hard but I guess you always can think of things to buy yourself that you'll like, a stranger the other side of the world might have a bit more trouble. For what its worth, you didn't put a foot wrong!

Opened the first one to be greeted with:

photo4kl.jpg

Modeling stuff! A good selection of stuff, I started my high elf force 3 days ago and had run out after flocking my battle board. Good choice.

The second gift I opened followed suit and it was...

photo7qc.jpg

Painting stuff! I personally don't use games workshop paints but this is nice for a number of reasons. The first is, high elf models! The second is its a starter set showing you how to paint high elves. Now I'm not new to painting models but I am new to painting anything but an Orc so its actually nice to be able to follow a guide with all the correct colours available.

The third gift, felt different and indeed it was. Cambiatas letter mentioned something about a gift for Mrs Prime and this was it.

photo6ik.jpg

Bath bombs :) You couldn't have timed this better actually, she is hideously ill right now. She will be making full use of these over the next few days in a warm bath :) Also the gift of knowledge for me, Dallas is full of hippies (or so the letter said) which blew my Texas stereotype out the door and made me spill tea all over my crumpets :P

Forth gift, which I totally blown away with...

photo5kt.jpg

A freakin dragon, I am tempted to make it a Christmas dragon with the snow flock from the previous gift to honor you in all its future murderings!

On top of all this, before Christmas I was also gifted The Walking Dead, Wizorb, Hack-Slash-Loot on steam. Your generosity has blown me away.

I cant thank you enough, such amazing gifts, I tip my hat to you

Prime on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I GOT A LETTER!

It says
    "Sweeney" Tom,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! As this season of G&T Secret Santa draws to a close, I want to say what fun it has been stalking you. I hope you enjoy the presents you've received so far, and similarly like the last couple bits I have included here. As promised, this is a bit of local flavor! My wife makes some fantastic banana bread, and does so as a holiday tradition. I've included two loaves: one with nuts and one without, so hopefully one appeals to your household.

Secondly, here's a 6-pack of a locally-produced root beer. OK, it's not quite as locally-produced as it used to be, because the brewery that makes it - and which used to be kinda-sorta-down-the-road from my house actually moved a couple years back to Delaware so they could get a bigger operation going, but it's still a pretty good brew. I'd planned to send a selection of their beers, and maybe a wine or 2 from my favorite local vineyard, but you asked for no alcohol, and I figured that was one wish I should definitely follow!

Anyway, thanks again for the chance to stalk you, and best wishes for a fantastic 2013!
    Your Secret Santa,
    Elvenshae

Not pictured because my camera died trying to upload the pics = 6 bottles of root beer and 2 loaves of banana bread
    THANK YOU SO MUCH @Elvenshae

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I GOT A LETTER!

It says
    "Sweeney" Tom,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! As this season of G&T Secret Santa draws to a close, I want to say what fun it has been stalking you. I hope you enjoy the presents you've received so far, and similarly like the last couple bits I have included here. As promised, this is a bit of local flavor! My wife makes some fantastic banana bread, and does so as a holiday tradition. I've included two loaves: one with nuts and one without, so hopefully one appeals to your household.

Secondly, here's a 6-pack of a locally-produced root beer. OK, it's not quite as locally-produced as it used to be, because the brewery that makes it - and which used to be kinda-sorta-down-the-road from my house actually moved a couple years back to Delaware so they could get a bigger operation going, but it's still a pretty good brew. I'd planned to send a selection of their beers, and maybe a wine or 2 from my favorite local vineyard, but you asked for no alcohol, and I figured that was one wish I should definitely follow!

Anyway, thanks again for the chance to stalk you, and best wishes for a fantastic 2013!
    Your Secret Santa,
    Elvenshae

Not pictured because my camera died trying to upload the pics = 6 bottles of root beer and 2 loaves of banana bread
    THANK YOU SO MUCH @Elvenshae

You're very, very welcome! Hope this was a good Secret Santa year for you; first time I've decided to do it, and you actually turned out to be pretty easy to stalk.

Also, hope the banana bread's good - short delay in between baking and mailing plus travel time might equal slightly stale, so you might not get the full experience from it, but, seriously, my wife makes the absolute best banana bread ever. EVER. As you can see, it's so awesome, it breaks cameras.

The brewery's Old Dominion, in case anyone was wondering. They were kinda early entrants into the whole microbrew craze, and started off really strong. :) While getting stuff for Sweeney, I found out that they'd closed their original brewery in northern VA because of space limitations and moved across [2] state lines to Delaware, so I was pretty sad about that. They still do good work, though!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    This may not be the best place, but I didnt want to start a new thread without the ability to follow through, and I have no idea where else to ask...

who normally does the PA Game of the Year thread? I LOVE them, and look forward to it every year. I have all my results from previous years saved, and was excited to get to voting this year.

Any idea what forumer usually heads that up, and if we can get it started if they're no longer willing?

I only ask here because doing Secret Santa and voting in the GOTY usually happen around the same time for me, so it's linked in my brain...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    mxmarks wrote: »
    This may not be the best place, but I didnt want to start a new thread without the ability to follow through, and I have no idea where else to ask...

who normally does the PA Game of the Year thread? I LOVE them, and look forward to it every year. I have all my results from previous years saved, and was excited to get to voting this year.

Any idea what forumer usually heads that up, and if we can get it started if they're no longer willing?

I only ask here because doing Secret Santa and voting in the GOTY usually happen around the same time for me, so it's linked in my brain...

The great MCC usually heads that up, even if it is the only time he ever posts.

You can see the results from 2011 here.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    I'm glad you like it! Again, super sorry for my lateness. The missus was quite jealous I spent so much time on the gift (don't tell her I gifted a 3DS XL). I'm sure you can create some amazing art with it!

PS. I forgot the UK uses a different plug. Oopsies!

Congratulations on doing right by LewieP's Mummy. Her awesome gifting every year deserved an amazing response and you succeeded!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Icemopper wrote: »

I've chatted with MCC and there should be a list up soon.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Oh good. MCC's list is the only way I remember what I played last year, usually. Standard nomination process to add games to the list and then voting?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    GiftGet4b.gif

An unexpected package arrives!
    0gkt7l.jpg

Thanks, santa! Punisher is awesome and I love action figures!

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Oh good. MCC's list is the only way I remember what I played last year, usually. Standard nomination process to add games to the list and then voting?

I imagine so.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Oh crap, for so many years I've called mcc "him" and I am so wrong.

I'm so sorry mcc!

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Wait, what? I think I remember seeing a picture of mcc many moons ago and I though mcc was married to a woman.

:oops:

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Wait, what? I think I remember seeing a picture of mcc many moons ago and I though mcc was married to a woman.

She could be. That's okay now that we live in the future!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Everyone is genderless to me on the Internet.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god that FedEx dude finally got it together and delivered. Glad you like the gifts, @Prime. :)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Oh good, we're ending the season on a homophobic note.

NEXT YEAR, IT'S COAL FOR ALL OF YA.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Oh good, we're ending the season on a homophobic note.

I didn't see enough books gifted for that...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @Shadowfire: Well, you're in luck.

GiftGet4b.gif
    SS_2012_01_zps7cbe1de6.jpg
    A wild package arrives

SS_2012_02_zps94a66d51.jpg
    I wonder who this could be for

SS_2012_03_zpse64aa82a.jpg
    A ridiculous card...

SS_2012_04_zpsd4e05c51.jpg
    With a promising message...

SS_2012_5_zps04110aa9.jpg
    Both of the Dresden Files RPG books! This picture doesn't do them justice, they are pretty massive heavy hardcovers. I put them on my wishlist this year, but I didn't expect anyone to actually give them to me. This is pretty awesome, so thanks Lord Yod!

Not pictured: Our pet, because she is too small to be out of her aquarium when the kid is around.
    Also not pictured: The kid, who refused to cooperate when we tried to put her in the box.

These are definitely going to the top of my reading list.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Given that my best friend's favourite superhero is Wonder Woman, I would love to know where Lord Yod acquired that card ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY IN THIS. I am not a schlub, I assure you. I just had some difficulty identifying which exact gift exchange this was from, since apparently actually saying is totally out of style.

NO WORRIES!

So I had just wrapped up on some filming stuff in December, and when I got to my office... there was a DVD set for .... Game Center CX? I popped onto google and A, got super excited about the concept of some Japanese guy trying to play through impossible-ass retro games and B, super angry for not thinking of this concept myself for PATV. I may steal it. You heard it here first.

So the weird thing is that despite this being super popular in Japan and making a few appearances on different american sites... i've never heard of it. Keep in mind, I'm in Japan a few weeks every year, and I try to soak up a lot of the game culture there ... I seriously have somehow missed this.

I've watched the first disc entirely, and I'm making my way through the episodes. I think they are fucking incredible. Whoever sent this to me (I only know your real name, which I will keep TOP SECRET), thank you - you have literally changed my life.

Oh, and I have no idea how to really take photos of a DVD, so you get these two:
    SEplusSanta2.jpg
    SEplusSanta1.jpg

And I also leave you with this ridiculous ad, which probably looks stupid unless you've seen the show.
    IT IS SO GREAT!

Some guy.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    It was I who sent you the GameCenter CX DVD set. I just forgot to put my forum handle somewhere in the gift comment. Super smooth. Anyway, I am elated you loved the gift. Spreading the GameCenter CX love is the least I could do for such a great show.

For those who don't know anything about the show, I'll go ahead and link to the Something Awful thread. They've been doing an amazing job with translating the show thanks in no small part to zari-gani who not only did all localization work on the DVD set but is now friends with the producer of the show, Tsuyoshi Kan.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452856

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    It is seriously ridiculous and awesome.

Ridiculously awesome. Thanks man!

Some guy.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Heh, it would've been..interesting if the only one to get scrooged this year was Khoo D:

Great gift, though. I've heard loads of good things about that show, I should really watch it sometime.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Gift Get! I mean, uh...

GiftGet4b.gif

As I said yesterday I was busy all afternoon so couldn't upload stuff. Well, turns out it snowballed into the evening and never really slowed down to let me take and upload pictures of what Santa sent, and thus arrived, yesterday. I summon my cat, Molly, to come investigate:
    DSCF0059_zps33e027a3.jpg

Oh. Okay. I guess chilling on part of the neighbours' fence (it's been hella windy around here and said fence decided to face-plant for a while) is probably cooler than whatever I got in my mystery box. No no, it's fine, I understand... Just that... Everyone else got their cats... And dogs, there were dogs too... In photos... So I thought that... Y'know... Maybe... You'd come do the same?

No?

Whatever, Molly.

Luckily I have a substitute for such an occassion. Knuckles GTF over here mang and guard my home address from the creepy internet peeps:
    DSCF0064_zpsea1326c3.jpg

Good job bro. Alright let's get to ripping this bad boy open and see what we've got. Suddenly a note appears:
    DSCF0065_zps95f6c62b.jpg

Huh. Eeeeenterestink. I've copied what the note says in case you can't read it from the picture:
    Due to a general lack of big the cat items for sale, I had to get you this and all those kindle books instead. -Freebryd!

Big the Cat has been something of a running joke for you in the email tags eh Santa? And a running nightmare for me. There's something unsettling about that cat. Something... Horrible. Terrible, even. Without further ado, let's see what we've got here:
    DSCF0066_zps73fb9cce.jpg

Oh my. Now this is pretty awesome looking! It's a big-ass anthology book of the history of Sonic. Concept art, trivia, interviews, the works. All inside this gem of a book. I can't wait to dive right in. Seriously it looks fantastic. Hell even Knuckles approves and technically the book isn't even about him:
    DSCF0068_zps74831f9f.jpg

Thank you so much Santa, FreeBryd! everybody! Let's have a look at all the goodies he's sent me for my Kindle as well as this gem of a book:

The History of Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Anthology of Chinese Literature (Kindle Edition) by Confucius
    The Battle of Chibi (Red Cliffs): selected and translated from The Romance of the Three Kingdoms [Kindle Edition]
    Monkey - Journey to the West (Kindle Edition) by Wu Cheng'en
    Sonic the Hedgehog: An Imagine Trivia Book (Imagine Trivia Book Series) (Kindle Edition)by Lewis King
    Sonic the Hedgehog and The Beatles (Kindle Edition) by David Childers

Thanks so much for all the great reads - it's going to be a busy year for me so I'll make sure my Kindle gets plenty of use going through all these. You'z da best!

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    GiftGet4b.gif

After about a million years of bullshit from USPS, a package arrives!

What's inside? Check out the spoiler to find out!

JJWZ0h.jpg

Bone! A compilation of sweet Bone stories! Not something I read, but a good way to get into it, at least. And hot damn is it ever gorgeous.

DQmNFh.jpg

PONIES. A sweet and sort-of inconspicuous pony t-shirt, a completely conspicuous pony unicorn horn, and a We Love Fine button, which only other purchases of pony purveyance will understand.

PXFQph.jpg

HORSE HEAD MASK!

Oh man, I have wanted one of these things for a while, but haven't been able to convince myself to buy it, since it is entirely frivolous. But now I have one and can plan appropriately! Hijinx will ensue!

(That said, it is oddly difficult to code in these things. You get like a 100px window of the world and god help you if you lose track of your mouse pointer.)

MwIpLh.jpg

Oh... Oh god, are those... Chocolate covered pretzels? Aww sheeeeit.

See, these things are my number one weakness. If I buy a bag of these things, but feel full half-way through, I'll still keep eating. I can't help myself. The chocolate sweetness, the salty saltiness, that crunch! Mmmm...

So yeah, I ate the whole damn thing already and regretted it deeply. But it was sooo delicious...

H4j8bh.jpg

We are already planning a Gamera-watching Party at work. =3

Dtpijh.jpg

When you play poker with a Game of Thrones deck of cards, you win... or you die.

rUIJMh.jpg

And there's my cats enjoying the best present of them all - the box!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    We demand a picture with the horse mask on.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Do you also have a Letterman's jacket?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Dunxco wrote: »

The Battle of Chibi
    The battle of chibi?
    ChIbI_ChArAcTeRs_In_NaRuTo_by_CaMoTeAkO.jpg

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I ran into a guy with that mask at Lollapalooza and Riot Fest this summer. Same guy. Completely awesome dude.

Now you can be that dude, bro dude.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Do you also have a Letterman's jacket?

Oh goddamn, now I gotta get one.

The picture will have to wait. The only person here who can take said shot is my girlfriend and she is terrified of said mask.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    @Imperfect Yes! Glad to see you finally got everything! (even though I already knew you did)

Yeah, you should have gotten all that before Christmas, but like I said, USPS blew it the first time around. But at least it got there eventually.

As I said in the letter, I just had to get you the horse head mask because of my friend having one and wearing it to my other friend's wedding. Here's a picture of him at the wedding, and coincidentally it is his birthday today!

149866_1420395161110_4232238_n.jpg