Options

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kanden wrote: »
    It seems super abrupt to me.

Yeah, exactly the reason I unsubbed.

Steam Train: Nifty idea to give other potential hosts more exposure/broaden demographic appeal.

Replacing Jon: Sad, but necessary change that may end up improving one or both channels.

Both in the same day: Incredibly abrupt and awkward transition.

Change can be good, but you can't do too much at once.

Edit: And confusing. Too much change can also be very very confusing.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    What the fuuuuuuuuuuck. q6uxrs11

I... I don't know what the shit is going on anymore.

I'll give them a week to figure out what the fuck they're doing before I hit that Unsubscribe button.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm going to give it a try in the spirit of fairness, but my gut reaction is that Game Grumps is Jon and Arin. Take away either, and it ceases to be Game Grumps.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I'm willing to give the new guy a chance. I always thought that having Jon and Arin on the same show brought out the worst of both guys. Plus, that Punchout video reminded me of Continue? in all the right ways.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Steam Train: Nifty idea to give other potential hosts more exposure/broaden demographic appeal.

Replacing Jon: Sad, but necessary change that may end up improving one or both channels.

See I don't get this. I don't get this at all. like, it's not what they're doing, but because they're doing it together? And somehow, because they added a thing AND Jon is leaving, that makes it bad and you need to unsub? But if they'd done one and then the other later it would have been fine?

I dunno, the most jarring thing about this to me is what seems to me like a massive overreaction from the fans. And like yeah okay Jon is leaving and that upsets people I get it, but somehow because Jon leaving Steam Train is some terrible thing and everyone is acting like them adding a new thing is somehow bad or crazy and I just don't get that at all.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The first ep of Steam Train is up

and ain't great

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I guess I am back down to just watching Continue? show.

The internet is stuffed with videos of people playing video games. This steam train nonsense doesn't endear me to continue watching.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I mean

It's just a YouTube channel guys. Some big changes but nothing scary enough to run and hide in a corner clinging to a blankie after clicking unsubscribe. Sheesh.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    To me, it's not whether Steam Train is good or bad. It's that they're trying to make Game Grumps some kind of brand, rather than two specific people. I can certainly see why they would try to do that, especially with Jon deciding to leave, but it just feels a bit forced.

As for making both changes at once, they're probably trying to rip the bandage off and get all of the blowback out of the way at once, but I definitely think it would have been better to stagger the changes a bit.
    I mean

It's just a YouTube channel guys. Some big changes but nothing scary enough to run and hide in a corner clinging to a blankie after clicking unsubscribe. Sheesh.
    Yes, people expressing opinions about a thing in a thread about that thing. How terrible.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The first ep of Steam Train is up

and ain't great

idk

seemed fine to me, as did the punch-out episode

the voices for the disembodied murder hobo and the chicken guy cracked me up

frankly, I stopped watching (except tuning in to see the end of sonic 06 now and then) because arin and jon were starting to piss me off with the incredibly stupid things they'd say, and I didn't really care about a lot of the games they were playing because they didn't even care.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I can't do it anymore. I gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere. I'm making a statement.

Danny can't say next time on Game Grumps. That's Jon's thing. Way too soon dude.

• Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    .... The internet is stuffed with videos of people playing video games.

Yeah! Fuck internet videos of people playing video games!

*look at sig*

....wait

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Shit! I havent watched the Grumps in a few weeks... now mommy and daddy are separating? Is... is it my fault?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

See I don't get this. I don't get this at all. like, it's not what they're doing, but because they're doing it together? And somehow, because they added a thing AND Jon is leaving, that makes it bad and you need to unsub? But if they'd done one and then the other later it would have been fine?

I dunno, the most jarring thing about this to me is what seems to me like a massive overreaction from the fans. And like yeah okay Jon is leaving and that upsets people I get it, but somehow because Jon leaving Steam Train is some terrible thing and everyone is acting like them adding a new thing is somehow bad or crazy and I just don't get that at all.

If I may make an incredibly nerdy anecdote: In the 1990's longtime Green Lantern Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Fan reactions weren't positive, partly because the event that necessitated Hal's replacement involved him turning evil and similar, but also because we have a tendency to be hostile towards replacements. DC attempts to handle this were, to be charitable, unsubtle, involving the likes of Superman and Batman talking about how great Kyle was, which fans didn't like either.

Nerdery complete, I can see a similar reaction going on here: Replacing Jon was always going to be a difficult sell, but doing that while simultaneously giving him another show on the same channel could invoke similar feelings of "they're trying too hard to make us accept him".

Does that make sense, or am I silly?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    To me, it's not whether Steam Train is good or bad. It's that they're trying to make Game Grumps some kind of brand, rather than two specific people. I can certainly see why they would try to do that, especially with Jon deciding to leave, but it just feels a bit forced.

As for making both changes at once, they're probably trying to rip the bandage off and get all of the blowback out of the way at once, but I definitely think it would have been better to stagger the changes a bit.
    I mean

Yes, people expressing opinions about a thing in a thread about that thing. How terrible.

I just don't get the whole 'too much change unsubscribe all the things' reaction.

Like, dude. Calm it down, give it a day, revisit. Is that really too much to ask or what? Has arin, Barry, and jon not earned at least that or is the crowd that fickle?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    .... The internet is stuffed with videos of people playing video games.

Yeah! Fuck internet videos of people playing video games!

*look at sig*

....wait

I think you misunderstand me. It just means that I feel like I can be choosy. If I don't want to watch new Grumps because it's not as entertaining ... there's still a million other videos I can look at. A million other streamers. A million other let's plays.

I'll reflect on the good days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8A_aqadd8

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

If I may make an incredibly nerdy anecdote: In the 1990's longtime Green Lantern Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Fan reactions weren't positive, partly because the event that necessitated Hal's replacement involved him turning evil and similar, but also because we have a tendency to be hostile towards replacements. DC attempts to handle this were, to be charitable, unsubtle, involving the likes of Superman and Batman talking about how great Kyle was, which fans didn't like either.

Nerdery complete, I can see a similar reaction going on here: Replacing Jon was always going to be a difficult sell, but doing that while simultaneously giving him another show on the same channel could invoke similar feelings of "they're trying too hard to make us accept him".

Does that make sense, or am I silly?

I could see something like that, though I don't know if it represents the majority's reason for opposition. Even if it did, I would still think it's silly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not leaving unless Barry does.

Until then I can just not watch the videos that I don't want to watch. I do that already.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tf0yQDEpISQ

I don't even

Grumps have a huge backlog, it's plausible they added a second show to deal with that backlog

But getting rid of Jon as well? I don't.

Hrrmfffg feelings

Maybe it's a New Coke scam.

What even is this

This is terrible

Love is over

http://youtu.be/DeaIjUUSBDU

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kagera wrote: »
    Like, dude. Calm it down, give it a day, revisit. Is that really too much to ask or what? Has arin, Barry, and jon not earned at least that or is the crowd that fickle?
    Yeah, a lot of people are definitely overreacting. I just don't think being all superior on the internet is much better.

For what it's worth, the Punch-Out episode was alright. I'll wait and see how the new guy works out.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I'll put it this way. I started watching Grumps for the interplay between Jon and Arin. They started to get tiresome a few months back, but of late I felt like the show was getting good again, and had been watching it regularly once more.

With that interplay gone, I don't have much of a compelling reason to keep watching.

Steam Train didn't do anything for me, but I thought Danny was okay in that Punch-Out video, so I'll give them a week or two to get things going. If it improves, I'll stick with it. If not? Well, I'll just unsubscribe and move on.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Did anyone notice the sub counter this morning? I feel like it's ticked down a lot already. Wanna say it was at 1,035,000 an hour ago.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I liked Danny in the Punch-Out episode. He was good at the game, knew what he was talking about, and didn't burst into random song or scream AAAARRRRIIIIN.

Heck, even when Arin made a mistake (on where King Hippo is from) he instantly remembered the truth and corrected himself.

They paid attention to the game and commented on it and had some funny jokes. All in all, an improvement to a lot of the recent stuff. Plus they still had some great stuff from Barry. I'd stopped watching every episode a while back and was only really watching now if the game looked interesting, but I'll probably give the Danny episodes a shot if this all isn't a fake-out.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I wanna say it was close to 1,090,000 yesterday, but I don't remember.

I'm not unsubbing, but I'm really fucking confused/depressed. This went from a channel that I loved and want to watch everyday, to something I have a mild interest in. Danny is okay, he'll grow on me in time. I have zero interest in watching people I barely recognize play steam games. Mainly cause I have my own backlog of steam games to play.

All in all this just feels strange.

• Options
    How did you feel about the Steam Train episode where they spent a solid 5 minutes doing incredibly grating "funny voices" and indeed getting lost and stuck?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I didn't watch the Steam Train episode because I haven't played Hotline Miami yet. I'll probably give them a shot once they have a bigger selection of videos, or maybe when they post their Castle Crashers one.

I did find it amusing that they have a blue background to go with the Grump's orange background since I think I remember Arin talking about those colors working well together in his Castlevania Sequelitis.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    How did you feel about the Steam Train episode where they spent a solid 5 minutes doing incredibly grating "funny voices" and indeed getting lost and stuck?

The voices really bugged me. Everything else, I was ambivalent about, but man... no more of that.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I don't like the new guy.

The tone of the Punchout video is just completely different. It's missing that awkward Jontron energy. He's too cool.

It's a shame, I really enjoyed the recent Chulip, Stretch Panic, Shatterhand and Star Wars videos.

Oh well. Unsubscribed.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I didn't watch the Steam Train episode because I haven't played Hotline Miami yet. I'll probably give them a shot once they have a bigger selection of videos, or maybe when they post their Castle Crashers one.

I did find it amusing that they have a blue background to go with the Grump's orange background since I think I remember Arin talking about those colors working well together in his Castlevania Sequelitis.

Yeah, orange and blue are complimentary colors. Back when I was painting 40k mini's, I had a blue and orange tau army that I loved the look of.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I had to give the steam train a chance because of Hotline miami being one of my favourite games, but god damn, that voice shit and the massively slowed down console controls. this isn't tenouttaten

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Shatterhand was turning into one of my favorite series'. Fuck.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    Punch Out video was really good. I'm okay with this.

Although I think Dan shoots for way too low of a tone when singing the theme.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

sounds like a typical game grumps episode?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I'm not digging the new stuff, but it won't kill me to at least try and give it a shot as the days go by.

What I found strange about all of this is that one of the biggest complaints I came across was regarding Jon and Arin's personal projects suffering as a result of Game Grumps becoming such a big thing. There were always people bitching about how, for example, the JonTron Show had been placed on the back-burner in favor of something that seemed, at its surface, much easier to produce. "Lazy" is a word that came up often during this criticism.

Now we have Jon deciding to focus more on his own shit and suddenly it's the most horrible news ever. What? I understand that the fan base is large enough for there to be many groups of people with differing opinions, but there are subscribers on YouTube, Reddit, and elsewhere now completely contradicting themselves in a way that's almost surreal. To be fair, though, I imagine that they didn't expect Jon to just leave outright as opposed to focusing time on both projects. Unfortunately, that isn't the way life always works. If you're actually serious about something, you will want to channel as much time and energy as possible into accomplishing that goal. This means, in the end, that something else is inevitably going to have to be dropped in favor of what you actually want to be doing.

Of course, this doesn't really surprise me nor should it really surprise anyone. "People are fucking dumb on the internet" is not some kind of groundbreaking observation. It sucks, but this new direction is going to probably get ripped a new hole or two and the guys involved are already being relentlessly shit on just because. Many of the show's fans liked a very specific thing that involved a very specific chemistry and the majority of them really aren't going to be willing to stick with this and see where it goes. I don't blame them, though I do wish a lot of these Game Grumps "fans" would just cut the bullshit for once and quit attacking the new crew as if they were somehow a threat to humanity.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So am I right in reading that just a few weeks ago we all hated how stupid they were and their lack of paying attention in general, but now we hate that Jon is gone for some other random fellow? I am not following what's going on anymore.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    You know i'm cautiously optimistic at the future of grumps. I like Dan as the new grump, and from the one episode with Arin they seem to work well and I had a real good laugh with the punch out episode.

I'm happy that Jon is going to make more Jontron, as that show and his humour has really grown on me and I love it to bits, so i'm looking forward to new content from him.

Steam Train is two new hosts, I only know Ross and I enjoy his animation but they're both new and time will tell If i like how they work together. With only one episode out i'll reserve judgement.

Maybe it'll ultimately be a good thing, Like with Continue? losing Dom and bringing in josh, I'm sure there was unhappiness regarding it but ultimately it worked out.

Edit: super concerning to see only my post has Geth on it.

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    Dangit! No! Why! I mean Jon frustrates me sometimes with his silly questions and antics but they had such great chemistry on the show together.

Oh well, lets hope the new guy will be awesome

IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am willing to give this Danny a chance, for things change and that's ok. HOWEVER!

ArinXJohn OTP forever.

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think a lot of the backlash is from the fact that you can never replace the chemistry Arin and Jon had. Dan might be hilarious but he will never be Jon, and as far as we know we'll never get the same style of humor from the show again. It might be called Game Grumps and it might be entertaining, but it's not the duo that I subscribed to and with a myriad of other LP's that can use some love. I see no reason to stick around when it isn't the same show I signed up for, (or subscribed to.)

I'm not saying the show is unwatchable or everyone unsubscribe right this second but I'm trying to explain why fans are leaving from a rational view and why I feel the need to let the show go.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    AmnO82M.png

lSiaK1M.gif

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.