Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The Cosmic Observatory!

:shock:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh boy.

So many callbacks to previous games. I love it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Bowser, for his part, appears to be taking a page straight from the Dr. Robotnik playbook on ego-stroking megalomania, and has built a giant amusement park in his own image.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Um....considering Bowser plasters his face all over everything, I'm thinking he's had the huge ego this whole time.

I'd say it's more likely Robotnik stole the idea from him.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Internet opinion on Super Mario 3D World has seemingly taken a complete 180 since the latest Nintendo Direct trailer.

Folks that were bleating "Feh, it's just a 3DS port." last week are singing the game's praises this week.

Hilarious.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Internet opinion on Super Mario 3D World has seemingly taken a complete 180 since the latest Nintendo Direct trailer.

Folks that were bleating "Feh, it's just a 3DS port." last week are singing the game's praises this week.

Hilarious.

In all fairness, that was a pretty kickass trailer.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    To be fair Max, this newest trailer was much better at showcasing the game than what Nintendo has shown before.

I mean, I was eagerly looking forward to it, but that's because I've learned it's silly to doubt EAD and their creativity. Not everyone feels like me though.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Hilarious.

Yeah the original trailer was kind of awful. I don't know about other people, but I was not a huge fan of Mario 3D Land (I've said before, but the camera just ruined that game for me). The original trailer looked exactly like 3D Land, now with cat costumes and clear pipes.

New one just looked way better. It reminded me a lot of the things I really liked from Galaxy and showed that there were a lot of new things being done with the game. Also could be my imagination, but the camera seemed better - a little bit more like Galaxy's but zoomed out further (again, maybe I'm just completely imagining that :P)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    To be fair Max, this newest trailer was much better at showcasing the game than what Nintendo has shown before.

I mean, I was eagerly looking forward to it, but that's because I've learned it's silly to doubt EAD and their creativity. Not everyone feels like me though.

EAD is amazing. I still think Jungle Beat is one of the best 2D platformers in a long time.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Hilarious.

Yeah the original trailer was kind of awful. I don't know about other people, but I was not a huge fan of Mario 3D Land (I've said before, but the camera just ruined that game for me). The original trailer looked exactly like 3D Land, now with cat costumes and clear pipes.

New one just looked way better. It reminded me a lot of the things I really liked from Galaxy and showed that there were a lot of new things being done with the game. Also could be my imagination, but the camera seemed better - a little bit more like Galaxy's but zoomed out further (again, maybe I'm just completely imagining that :P)

Really? It looks pretty great to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU

The Kuribo's Skate is there. You can see the same level from the new trailer where Mario hits a bomb at the will and sets off a chain reaction. There's the part where they ride the water dragon, and the boss looks straight out of Mario Galaxy. There are some pretty cool things on display like the race against the fuzzies.

In no way would I consider it awful! It looks fantastic.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Nah, that trailer is kinda boring, Sporky. I think it's the laid back music, the focus on traditional platforming; nothing's popping really.

Now, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOKVABfrzw

Aw, cool, relaxed happy walk... BAM! JAZZ! EXCITEMENT! GET HYPE!

• Options
    Shrug. They're both great. Like on a scale of 1-10, they're 9 and 10 for me, personally.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Hilarious.

Really? It looks pretty great to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU

The Kuribo's Skate is there. You can see the same level from the new trailer where Mario hits a bomb at the will and sets off a chain reaction. There's the part where they ride the water dragon, and the boss looks straight out of Mario Galaxy. There are some pretty cool things on display like the race against the fuzzies.

In no way would I consider it awful! It looks fantastic.

Watching it again, I think I see the problem. A LOT of the footage is from the same level (what I assume is like the first level, or one of the early levels). It looks super, super similar to Mario 3D Land levels. There is some decent stuff towards the end, but most of it they don't really show long enough to get excited about it, or there isn't much going on in some of them (a lot are just the characters running against various level backdrops - only a couple have any "action"). The Kuribo's Skate thing is so brief I'm not surprised I didn't even remember it. The boss battle doesn't really show anything other than cat suit running up a pillar.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The reason it's all from the same levels in the first trailer, is because they didn't want to give too much away.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    The reason it's all from the same levels in the first trailer, is because they didn't want to give too much away.

Hence, boring! :P

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    The age old balance of trailers: show a little less and you're accused of being boring, show a little more and you're accused of giving everything away. You must be a goddamn zen master to properly cut a trailer. If your cinematic chi is even slightly misaligned, you've lost your audience. Or you could just do like hollywood and y'know fill your trailer with explosions and one liners that make no sense out of context.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    No, it's pretty much all the music. Watch the first trailer muted, with the second trailer's music (after the slow-paced intro). Much better!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I agree...2nd trailer gives me a much bigger reason to be excited...And I am definitely pumped about the game now :)

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Damn that second trailer is amazing.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    That first trailer was awful. It worries me because first impressions are so damn important. 3D World had a terrible first trailer during what was a terrible E3 Nintendo Direct. The majority of gamers will tune in at E3 but completely skip the other directs. I'm always willing to give EAD Tokyo the benefit of the doubt but I'm sure a lot of people have already completely written off 3D World. This new trailer is what they should have seen first.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The first trailer looks a lot like 3D Land, and gives the impression of a by-the-number New Super Bros. type game where you get one new suit and more of the same. Oh, and multiplayer. It was basically, "This looks fun, but nothing to get hyped over." The uninspired music does nothing to help that.

The second trailer is energized, shows more locations, introduces a really weird power-up via the cherry, and shows a lot of variety. You have the goomba head, the piranha plant pot, the baseball, Galaxy-esque levels like the invisible bridge, and more.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I actually prefer the music in the first trailer. It's not like I have a problem with the music in the new trailer, but it's just kind of...overbearing? I like it, but not as much as the first, that's all.

The music in the first one sounds more like what I expect from a new Mario game, like 3D Land's theme or NSMBU's theme. I love that stuff.

I do look forward to more big band and other different types of music like what we got from Galaxy and Galaxy 2. This kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaf2gUhy74o&list=SP706D99B420CA57E6&index=19

• Options
    The music in the first one sounds more like what I expect from a new Mario game, like 3D Land's theme or NSMBU's theme. I love that stuff.

Hate hate HATE that music. I will die happy (not really, I'm never happy) if I never have to hear the NSMB wah wahs again. Galaxy's music was amazing but that style is really only appropriate for that kind of "epic" setting. The jazzy music in this new trailer nailed it. That's exactly what I want to hear in every Mario game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Can't understand wah hate, especially for NSMBU. That is a damn fine song. Great instruments, great composition that sounds new and yet also familiar.

If you're hung up on that one punch being used as percussion, then picture the song without it. Would you at least agree it's good music then? Everything but the wahs?

What about the 3D Land theme, that doesn't have any wahs. It has trumpet hits where the wahs would be. What do you think about it?

In the new trailer, that minor key synth goofiness that starts at 58 seconds might as well be wahs to me. It's annoying.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Can't understand wah hate, especially for NSMBU. That is a damn fine song. Great instruments, great composition that sounds new and yet also familiar.

If you're hung up on that one punch being used as percussion, then picture the song without it. Do you agree it's good music then?

What about the 3D Land theme, that doesn't have any wahs. It has trumpet hits where the wahs would be. What do you think about it?

I'm not much of a music aficionado so I can't really speak eloquently about why I dislike that music. I just think it's boring and lame and lame and boring. It's not the wahs, it's just that the wahs are often used in Mario music that I find terrible.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Can't understand wah hate

wolfenheim_waluigi.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    I… have not been paying enough attention to Mario, it seems.

Me, watching trailer: "The hammer came ba… boomerang Mario?"

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Sul wrote: »

Not to mention Goomba Mario.

Geez, Nintendo. Racist much?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    When I loaded up my Wii U today, my wife's Mii clapped for me, there was special music, and confetti everywhere. All because Wind Waker came out today! D'awwwwwwww.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

If you're hung up on that one punch being used as percussion, then picture the song without it. Would you at least agree it's good music then? Everything but the wahs?

In the new trailer, that minor key synth goofiness that starts at 58 seconds might as well be wahs to me. It's annoying.

The music has refused to evolve over four games. It was neat at first, if a little generic. But having the same tune for four games straight is a little tiring. Especially when the tune wasn't that amazing to begin with. On a different note. I love the theme in new trailer. That entire video was aces.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Speaking of things being a little tiring, I hope they switch up the world structure a little. All of the New Super Mario Bros. games have had the same world themes presented in the same order. I'd like to see a little more visual variety.

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    The music has refused to evolve over four games. It was neat at first, if a little generic. But having the same tune for four games straight is a little tiring. Especially when the tune wasn't that amazing to begin with. On a different note. I love the theme in new trailer. That entire video was aces.

If you're talking the primary theme, 3 games. NSMBU is different. And while the others share the same tune, the song itself has a pretty different arrangement, directly comparing NSMB with NSMB2 (for better or worse, eh).

And over that same period of time we had Galaxy and Galaxy 2 (with too much musical variety to even pick primary themes), and 3D Land interspersed. Not a bad variety over the years.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I actually prefer the music in the first trailer. It's not like I have a problem with the music in the new trailer, but it's just kind of...overbearing? I like it, but not as much as the first, that's all.

I do look forward to more big band and other different types of music like what we got from Galaxy and Galaxy 2. This kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaf2gUhy74o&list=SP706D99B420CA57E6&index=19

Highly considering a full 242 run of both games now in preparation for World.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    How different are NSMBU and Luigi U? Should I just pick up the latter and skip the former, or are both good enough that it's worth purchasing the former and getting the DLC?

• Options
    PacoPaco Registered User regular
    NSLU and NSMBU only share graphical/audio assets and the overworld map. They're completely different games. NSLU is much more difficult and designed around speed runs, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty dang amazing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Paco wrote: »
    NSLU and NSMBU only share graphical/audio assets and the overworld map. They're completely different games. NSLU is much more difficult and designed around speed runs, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty dang amazing.

So basically, a SMB/Lost Levels thing going on? I kept on hearing the word "remixed", so I wasn't sure of the extent of the changes

• Options
    PacoPaco Registered User regular
    Yeah, the levels use the same backgrounds, textures, enemies, etc, but the level designs are entirely different. Lost Levels is a good comparison.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Paco wrote: »

So basically, a SMB/Lost Levels thing going on? I kept on hearing the word "remixed", so I wasn't sure of the extent of the changes

Very good analogy. NSLU is very difficult compared to NSMU. It's fantastic. 100% it was not an easy task.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Hm, started playing Splinter Cell Blacklist. Just finished the first mission... pretty good so far. Not sure how useful the GamePad is quite yet however (although it was nice for weapon/gadget switching, not that I did a lot of that in Mission 1). What I wish more games had was fine grained aiming control with the gyros. This game along with a couple of others I've played definitely could use the extra precision.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Sul wrote: »

Not to mention Goomba Mario.

Geez, Nintendo. Racist much?

My first thought when I saw that part of the trailer was "Is that... is that Kuribo's Head?"

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.