Options

[Chat] atop a Skyscraper

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the blog itself is good because comments are hidden by default

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual, how much of this is facts and how much is the fact that the UK is kind of out of its mind panicked about knife crime?

Edit: dang I totally messed up who was on which side of this argument. I like my mistaken first impression still.

yeah im on the "knives are as dangerous as the person using them" side

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    They still either exit your body or stay inside.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The CBJ-MS is one weird gun. Looks more like a nailgun. Or a power drill with the drum mag it has in BF4.

300px-650cbj_ms.jpg

The weirdest part is its intended purpose.
    It is an unusual weapon in several respects, not least because it is meant to fulfill the roles of PDW, assault rifle and light support weapon.

• Options
    I watched Anvil!: The story of Anvil a couple days ago. How great is it that because of that documentary the band found some success.

they really, really didn't

they played some opening festival slots and then had a slew of canceled shows because of poor ticket sales

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Ak47 bullets travel in such a way that when they hit the body, they don't just go through you, the spin, back over front, thus making your meaty parts ground beef.

The images are truly terrifing if I wasnt on my phone and trying to sleep.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    like there are two types of bullets

the ones that don't go all the way though, which are bad times because you have lumps of lead stuck inside you

and the ones that have enough energy to go through and will cause exit wounds that'll be bad times

worse than a stab wound? impossible to say since that depends on a million variables

but point is bullets don't leave you with a pencil diameter hole through you and two small holes on either side

Casual. Friend. There are far more than two types of bullets. It's pretty clear that you are coming from a position without a lot of firearm knowledge (which is okay!) just wanted to point it out.

i know that

i was dumbing it down for the sake of an easier argument

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Podly wrote: »
    There's a blog that takes screenshots of code from movies and analyzes them. I thought it would be good for a laugh if the coders doing it were funny and picked humorous examples and kept it light.
    Regarding your post about the TV series Person of Interest, Season 3, Episode 12.

The code on the screen uses Fortran language features that were NOT available in 1980. Some were introduced in Fortran 90 which was released as a standard significantly after 1990. The code sample it uses is actually from a site dealing with a variant of Fortran called F that is based on the Fortran 95 standard.

Sadly an epic fail.

Oh my god nerds. Oh my god no. This is not an "epic fail" that is not a failure at all, that is admirable that it's real code and a language that was generally popular in the 1980s. This blog is the worst.

Like what's even the purpose of a blog like this? Are they going to find a code where the programming is context correct and get a raging hard boner and glimpse the sublime? No, they're just going to go "well they didn't fuck THAT up" and then look for something else to be snotty about. Miserable.

Sometimes the code is mocked up technobabble nonsense and it's funny to get a chance to read it and giggle. Or someone will be hacking the gibson in a movie but flying up the screen is the source to the official bittorrent client. I imagined it would be this sort of thing, ranging from silly stuff to fun facts.

Half of this is just tone, not even content.

Instead it's mostly awful on both counts like the thing I posted.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Like, this is probably it being used as light support.

It's so teeny!

DPEX0gn.jpg

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I watched Anvil!: The story of Anvil a couple days ago. How great is it that because of that documentary the band found some success.

they really, really didn't

they played some opening festival slots and then had a slew of canceled shows because of poor ticket sales

Well, at least they opened for bands like Saxon and whatnot, which is way better than what they are doing,

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    bullets have a p standard amount of damage they cause which is releative to the size/velocity of the round

knives are variable, are you stabbing or slashing? are you twisting the blade?

what if you're doing some of that Wanted shit where you like bend the arc of the bullet and stuff

fun fact: i forgot the name of the movie so i googled, "that stupid movie where the guy bends the arc of the bullet" and it worked

as mediocre as the movie was, the comics sucked pretty determinedly

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

wtf

that shouldn't be considered assault

that should be considered education

If I were Judge King of The World, Kanye would get a two week minimum security prison "time out" and the nameless douchnozzle would be prevented from bringing a civil suit.

I'd add a mandate that the douchenozzle is only allowed to have children with minorities.

wait where do I sign up for that

NO GINGERS ALLOWED

Courtesy imgur yesterday:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/TWJGF
    Nsfw, shirtless guys, will possibly make you feel out of shape and unattractive as a dude

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Casual, how much of this is facts and how much is the fact that the UK is kind of out of its mind panicked about knife crime?
    It's worth pointing out that The Sun is not that representative of our opinions on knife crime.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    The CBJ-MS is one weird gun. Looks more like a nailgun. Or a power drill with the drum mag it has in BF4.

300px-650cbj_ms.jpg

The weirdest part is its intended purpose.
    It is an unusual weapon in several respects, not least because it is meant to fulfill the roles of PDW, assault rifle and light support weapon.

light support weapon?

how many bullets doe that thing hold?

e: looks like an uzi with a grip to me

Casual on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The firearm death rate (per capita) according to Echo's link, is roughly 200 times higher there than here.

Thats... suboptimal.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    i mean

no one ever says, "shouldn't have brought a gun to a knife fight"

Isn't a knife way better than a gun in close quarters, though?

Like, sure, let's say you're far from your target and he only has a knife, shooting him is easy, but if you're close to each other...

It's complicated.

The short answer is he's thinking the 5m rule.

What he's forgetting is that the 5m rule is to do with the safety of people who, as part of their job, involve themselves in dangerous situations. It's a rule of thumb for police that if you have a suspect with a melee weapon like a knife, they can probably cover about 5m before you can draw and fire. Which means if they get within 6m of you, your weapon generally needs to be out of the holster and aimed.

This doesn't mean "guns are useless in close quarters". It means if you don't have your weapon at the ready then someone attacking stands a good chance of being on top of you before you can fire, and it becomes a close quarters fight. Which is bad, if you have a weapon, because even unarmed it means someone might succeed in taking your weapon away from you.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Ak47 bullets travel in such a way that when they hit the body, they don't just go through you, the spin, back over front, thus making your meaty parts ground beef.

You're thinking 5.56.

The AK47 fires 7.62, which generally doesn't tumble.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nerds: always looking at the finger, never the heavenly glory.

• Options
    light support weapon?

20 or 30 with regular/extended mags, 100 with a drum magazine.

• Options

theres a reason that gun is so popular even today

• Options
    Like, this is probably it being used as light support.

It's so teeny!

DPEX0gn.jpg

Those are the cutest little bipods.

It's like the guns Shriners would pull out of their little cars.

• Options
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I really hate how unpredictable vyvanse is for me. Some days it works fine. Other days it makes me jittery as fuck.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Which also applies to guns.

Cavitation is a pretty big part of mortality rates for GSWs is pretty much what I'm getting from most of what I'm reading at the moment. Plus a much more likely rate of organ damage vs significant non-subcutaneous damage.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    DK, the knife-crime paranoia has settled down to a low hum of unease about now. A demented fear of Romanians and Bulgarians (possibly wielding knives) has taken its place.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    p0IRDau.jpg

Types of bullets, ordered by caliber. 9mm is the 2nd one IIRC.

dem hollow points doe.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    thisisthinprivilege is, next to salon, the greatest thing the internet has ever given us oh my god

goddamn you for making me aware of that site.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    light support weapon?

20 or 30 with regular/extended mags, 100 with a drum magazine.

so the teeny tiny mags will manage about ~2-3 seconds of suppression fire

useful!

e: also why have they put a scope on it

whats the point?

i'm accusing them of tacticooling

Casual on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I really hate how unpredictable vyvanse is for me. Some days it works fine. Other days it makes me jittery as fuck.

i don't know enough about lol or medicine to know which you're talking about anymore

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

theres a reason that gun is so popular even today

...that reason being there are like a billion of them out there and they are pretty much immune to abuse.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Goddamn I hate it when someone calls in for support. Says its causing a production stopage and is extremely urgent. Then never answers the phone or emails when you try to contact them back only a couple of minutes afterward.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    The firearm death rate (per capita) according to Echo's link, is roughly 200 times higher there than here.

Thats... suboptimal.

10 times what it is in Sweden.

Which, really, tells me that it's flawed data because it's gathered in different ways from different countries.

There was an article a bit back about how Sweden, in statistics, has a whole lot more cases of rape than other European countries.

That's all about how the data is gathered. An abusive relationship of two people where one gets raped daily? 365 cases of rape in the statistics. Other countries may or may not count the same way.

• Options
    Omar Rodriguez Lopez and John Frusciante forming a new band

hmm

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

Thats... suboptimal.

We're lower than Honduras!

I love/hate lists that are all "Here's the civilized list of countries, now further down the list somewhere is the USA because USA! USA! USA!"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Whenever someone labels a ticket in our system as a "fire" (production stoppage..meaning it is affecting multiple people or entire departments) but then the content of the ticket is "Need Google Earth on my computer"

I lower the urgency to 1 and tell my coworkers to do anything other than that person until there is no other work left to do because fuck them.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Stupid question...

I dunno if my boss is letting our clients know that I'm leaving.

Should I let my favorite clients know directly?

Just direct them to your replacement, and I would say it's in good taste to do so.

Replacement? Hahhhhhaaa...

You are optimistic. ;-)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Which also applies to guns.

Cavitation is a pretty big part of mortality rates for GSWs is pretty much what I'm getting from most of what I'm reading at the moment. Plus a much more likely rate of organ damage vs significant non-subcutaneous damage.

yes but guns come with a definite advantage

a bullet is a bullet if it hits you it doesnt matter who fired it

obviously the argument can and should be made that the likleyhood of a hit does greatly depend on the ability of the person with the gun

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    thisisthinprivilege is, next to salon, the greatest thing the internet has ever given us oh my god

goddamn you for making me aware of that site.

Totally blocked at work. So I hit the good ole "cached" button on google and it was magical. Just magical.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Blegh, I need to figure out a way to talk to the shy girl I have a crush on.

But I am also shy and super self-conscious and i have all these issues and shit...

This discussion has been closed.