Options

[chat]landers

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    They should replace lead with silver.
    You know just in case we need to be shooting mythological creatures
    We won't have to buy special ammo

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I don't understand how someone can say banning lead hunting ammunition is the first step towards banning hunting

these bizarre slippery slope arguments gun rights advocates come up are silly as shit, oppose the ban on its merits or lack of merits, don't go after a straw man

Is there any serious support for banning hunting?

I am kind of curious now. It's something I've seen people suggest but it's always crazy internet people (who tend to be dumb, cuz banning hunting would actually be terrible on almost every non-cuteness based ethical system). I am kind of wondering if there is any real support.

Also this cat is real interested in my butt.

It's more that not-lead bullets are a lot more expensive, which makes it pricey to practice shooting or hunt frequently.

I give you the first one but you should not need lots of bullets to go hunting. Ideally you need one, maybe a handful others if you're a bad shot.

That depends what you're shooting at.

I can't think of any waterfowl that would require enough ammunition to make a difference.

Or are they banning all lead now?

yeah that's what we're talking about. Steel shot in shotgun shells, etc.

I mean, no you're not going to burn through 50 rounds in a day of duck hunting. Target shooting and training is where it'll really hurt, because you can't get to be a good shot without practice and that will get a lot more expensive.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good way to stop people from shooting lead shells outdoors without making them totally illegal. Telling hunters: "no seriously guys, don't shoot these over the lake" doesn't seem to work because every year the water gets a little bit more lead in it right around hunting season.

Yeah I'm legit sympathetic to this. Also the CA ban seems pretty sensible and has an escape clause such that if the Fed designates not-lead bullets "armor piercing" and thus illegal, the ban disappears.

Doing your own reloads is going to be a lot harder now, and shooting will be more expensive at least in the short term, but when you have so many shooters that you're spreading a ton per acre of lead around the forest, you have to do something about it.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    fuck yeah da vinci

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Gim wrote: »
    I am jealous of standups. In one hand they get to hold a microphone, on the other they make appropriate gestures.

I never know what to do with my hands.

The solution is to carry a mic with you all the time. Bonus: opportunities to drop it and walk away will never be missed again.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Tesla, like many of his era, became a proponent of an imposed selective breeding version of eugenics. His opinion stemmed from the belief that humans' "pity" had interfered with the natural "ruthless workings of nature," rather than from conceptions of a "master race" or inherent superiority of one person over another. His advocacy of it was, however, to push it further. In a 1937 interview, he stated:

“ ... man's new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct ... The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal."

Well then.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I have a gamerscore of 66,666. I am tempted to leave it there.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    man I haven't played a pokeman game since the original red version

yeah this is basically my first one

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I am jealous of standups. In one hand they get to hold a microphone, on the other they make appropriate gestures.

The solution is to carry a mic with you all the time. Bonus: opportunities to drop it and walk away will never be missed again.

oh god if one of my friends roasted me and then produced a goddam mic and dropped it in front of me I think I would literally die

literally

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I don't understand how someone can say banning lead hunting ammunition is the first step towards banning hunting

these bizarre slippery slope arguments gun rights advocates come up are silly as shit, oppose the ban on its merits or lack of merits, don't go after a straw man

I am kind of curious now. It's something I've seen people suggest but it's always crazy internet people (who tend to be dumb, cuz banning hunting would actually be terrible on almost every non-cuteness based ethical system). I am kind of wondering if there is any real support.

It's more that not-lead bullets are a lot more expensive, which makes it pricey to practice shooting or hunt frequently.

I give you the first one but you should not need lots of bullets to go hunting. Ideally you need one, maybe a handful others if you're a bad shot.

I can't think of any waterfowl that would require enough ammunition to make a difference.

I mean, no you're not going to burn through 50 rounds in a day of duck hunting. Target shooting and training is where it'll really hurt, because you can't get to be a good shot without practice and that will get a lot more expensive.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good way to stop people from shooting lead shells outdoors without making them totally illegal. Telling hunters: "no seriously guys, don't shoot these over the lake" doesn't seem to work because every year the water gets a little bit more lead in it right around hunting season.

Yeah I'm legit sympathetic to this. Also the CA ban seems pretty sensible and has an escape clause such that if the Fed designates not-lead bullets "armor piercing" and thus illegal, the ban disappears.

Doing your own reloads is going to be a lot harder now, and shooting will be more expensive at least in the short term, but when you have so many shooters that you're spreading a ton per acre of lead around the forest, you have to do something about it.

I feel like Im going to feel similarly when they finally come for my wine bottles.
    Wow
    So Ungreen
    Much Glass

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Huh. Well in NZ we banned lead shot for duck shooting but not for other uses. So, yes, lead shot is still used a bit. I used some the other day for trap shooting in fact,

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2014
    Echo on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yay, the philosophy thread came back up.
    Time for more nonsensical arguing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Tesla, like many of his era, became a proponent of an imposed selective breeding version of eugenics. His opinion stemmed from the belief that humans' "pity" had interfered with the natural "ruthless workings of nature," rather than from conceptions of a "master race" or inherent superiority of one person over another. His advocacy of it was, however, to push it further. In a 1937 interview, he stated:

“ ... man's new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct ... The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal."

D-

Darn that Edison?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Illinois' system seems to work pretty good to me (although I haven't studied it or anything)

Basically you can't have lead shot around anything related to waterfowl hunting. Can't have it in your bag. Can't have it in your truck with decoys.

• Options

This is wise. You are wise.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    In our lifetimes, every home will have a decanter because wine will come in plastic bags.
    I weep for my unborn grandchildren.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TTODewback wrote: »
    They should replace lead with silver.
    You know just in case we need to be shooting mythological creatures
    We won't have to buy special ammo

You can buy and load your own silver bullets.

They are predictably very expensive.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Oh god, how long am I supposed to hold out for a transfer? I put the process forward on the 27th of Dec. and it's now about the 16th of January. It's just a retail transfer! I want to be out of Albany and back into the arms of crime-ridden Philadelphia.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    In our lifetimes, every home will have a decanter because wine will come in plastic bags.

Plastic bags are a good fit for wine though, because you can stop drinking whenever without worrying about ruining all the wine. It's not like touching food-grade plastic imparts a flavor any more than glass does. Y'all impractical snobs!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

I feel like Im going to feel similarly when they finally come for my wine bottles.
    Wow
    So Ungreen
    Much Glass

But.. glass is one of the most recyclable things around. You can melt it down and reuse it basically forever.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

Plastic bags are a good fit for wine though, because you can stop drinking whenever without worrying about ruining all the wine. It's not like touching food-grade plastic imparts a flavor any more than glass does. Y'all impractical snobs!

DK advocates more wasteful petroleum products.

Environmental wedge issue!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mim wrote: »
    Oh god, how long am I supposed to hold out for a transfer? I put the process forward on the 27th of Dec. and it's now about the 16th of January. It's just a retail transfer! I want to be out of Albany and back into the arms of crime-ridden Philadelphia.

Those bastards.

Get Chu or Elendil to go threaten them.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    how do i animal crossing and pokemans with people??

yeah pokewoman with us

BUT HOW????

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options

I was literally thinking about this last night. I kinda want to find a decent pinot noir box because my wife is allergic and I feel awful crushing a bottle by myself (and then proceeding to help her finish her bottle of white)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hey donkey kong got his vowels back

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Wow
    So Ungreen
    Much Glass

But.. glass is one of the most recyclable things around. You can melt it down and reuse it basically forever.

It takes a lot of energy to sort, melt, and reform.

• Options

Wow
    So Ungreen
    Much Glass

It takes a lot of energy to sort, melt, and reform.

So does everything, ffs. We need better energy sources, not less energy-intensive practices.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

DK advocates more wasteful petroleum products.

Environmental wedge issue!

PET plastic is made from ethylene, removed from natural gas during refinement, and is not a petroleum product.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

well hes not wrong

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

The place I'm doing next week is no mic. I am shitting it.

• Options

well hes not wrong

shhhhhhhhh

• Options
    UNCLE SCHECK IS V TIRED HE WAS JUST HEADED TO BED

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

No mic? What the fuck?

Are the acoustics super amazing?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    boxed wine is greener because there's less materials, it lasts longer, and you can fit like three bottles of wine in a box

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Wow
    So Ungreen
    Much Glass

Yes, but the recycling process for glass uses a lot of energy, and transporting glass uses a lot of fuel because it's heavy. The only way glass ends up green is if you're reusing the whole bottle without melting it down and you're not transporting it very far to do so.

Really, the most environmentally-friendly beverage container material by a longshot is aluminum. The worst part about aluminum is the interior lining, which contains BPA. Supposedly BPA is safe as long as it's kept cool, but I'm not convinced we know enough about BPA in beverages to say that conclusively or not.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

No mic? What the fuck?

Are the acoustics super amazing?

Tav does not need a microphone

his voice is fuckin'... powerfuuuuullll ahhhh yeah!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    It's only a matter of time before craft box wine and artisanal wineskins become a thing.

Gim on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    hmm, wife just texted me to pick up a pregnancy test and a coat hanger on the way home

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Those bastards.

Get Chu or Elendil to go threaten them.

They would be seduced by Macy money.

Does anyone know how good temp agencies are? I'm worried I'll go to one and they'll have NOTHING for me. The one I'm going to is recommended by a co-worker here, but I worry about Philadelphia.

This discussion has been closed.