As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
iMdlCsY4EoNLk.jpg
Website | Official Wiki | Offical Forums | Dev Tracker | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Josh Sawyer's Blog | Josh Sawyer's Tumblr

ib0RjlUv3LkUHC.png
Pillars of Eternity is a fantasy isometric pausable real time party based RPG being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, makers of such fine games as the best Knights of the Old Republic game, the best recent Fallout game, the best Neverwinter Nights expansions, the best Dungeon Siege game, the best unreleased South Park game, and the best Fallout DLC. They also have the best sob story. Aside from game development they spend their thursdays playing D&D and their fridays waching movies.

ifgQ2tZACgXrB.png
Pillars of Eternity is old school. Combat is tactical and pausing is encouraged (and probably required in tough fights). Use your party members effectively by synergizing spells and abilities and making other good decisions. Watch it all take place from a classic Baldur's Gate style isometric perspective. Avoid combat altogether by using "words" to "talk." Wander vast, beautiful areas and turn on hardcore mode where dying means permadying and you can get fucked up.

But above all, get ready to read. Voice acting is limited because this game is all about the rich, copious, reactive dialog, and you can't have enough of that if you need to pay Ian McKellen to read it all for you into a microphone.

Non-combat skills for each character are handled separately from combat skills, meaning you don't need to cripple a character in combat to make them effective outside combat, and vice versa. Josh Sawyer, the lead designer, is all about making choices interesting and meaningful and providing options rather than punishing players or letting them easily fuck themselves over.

Resting is in. Spell memorization is in. Crafting is in. Enchanting is in.

It will also have this cool thing where you'll reach parts in your adventure where you're presented with a sort of Twine-esque text-based adventure game, where you can make various choices (including some that rely on skill checks), read about the outcome, and so on. This lets them expand the game and add a lot of cool scenarios without bogging them down in a massive amount of work crafting a bunch of graphics and animations for all these things.

iK9VKIynP5Mvx.jpg

ibcPlTG56Z560V.png
Welcome... to a place.

iY14txLv1TuVd.jpg

It doesn't have a name yet, sorry. Some of the places have names, at least. The technology level is at approximately where we were in the 16th century: guns exist, but they can be slow and cumbersome and if you miss the wizard, chances are you'll have a lightning bolt in your chest before you can reload.

Everyone in this world has a soul. In addition to liking soul food, this means everyone's constantly being reincarnated after death and so on. Gods screw with stuff, some people have better souls than others, some people manipulate souls with weird soul magic, and who knows what else is happening. People in tune with their souls can harness amazing powers so watch out for that.

j0GQOM5Gu1ZE4.jpg

ibifOShnAo41ZN.png
There are six races you can play as in Pillars of Eternity.
  • Aumaua are aquatic people. They've got webbed feet and probably give damp handshakes.
  • Dwarves are short. Some Dwarves got lost in snowy forests and now live there.
  • Elves are cool. Josh Sawyer, lead designer, is an elf.
  • Orlans are like if an Ework fucked a Hobbit.
  • Okay I'm going to be honest with you, Godlike are the best race, objectively. I know that sounds super racist. I know I sound like a Nazi except replace white people with Godlike. But I'm serious. They have "God" in their name. There can be no argument about this. There is an objectively best race in this game. So anyways when this comes out I'll be rolling a master race character just so you all know.
  • And finally who gives a shit about humans? I sure as fuck don't. A human is an inferior elf, basically by definition. Just measure the ears.

i7iQv3wnCMovI.jpg

iboFXfoaakLMQY.png
There are 11 classes to pick from in this game. Like holy shit that's a lot.
  • Barbarians score low on standardized tests but high on drinking game scoreboards. They can sprint across the battlefield, deal AoE melee damage, and take a beating but keep on eating.
  • Chanters are like magic cheerleaders. Chanters build songs up from a series of phrases and, when they chant their songs, magic shit happens, like buffs. Even better, they can whistle while they work, so to speak: unlike fancy pants magic users like priests and wizards, a chanter can be doing any old shit and also chanting.
  • Ciphers have powers that let them directly influence the souls of others. In effect, instead of attacking an enemy's body, they can focus on attacking their enemy's soul. They have other soul-based powers that rely on targeting an enemy or an ally to cause all sorts of crazy results, like AoE attacks or buffs.
  • Druids don't shower very much. They can turn into animals. If you're dating a druid and they turn into an animal in bed that's probably super awkward. Unless you're into that stuff. I'm not judging. I mean I guess it's pretty much the only chance you'll ever get to fuck a bear, right?
  • Fighters know how to fight. Kind of a filler class if you ask me. Fighters are the kind of people who you didn't know super well in high school and you look them up on Facebook ten years later and apparently nothing has happened in their entire life since then except they married another one of those people from high school. So you probably at least want to invite one to your party so they can kill a spiderman for you. And in the game.
  • Monks get stronger the more damage they take. Through sheer soulpower they take wounds and turn them into special abilities. So, yeah, they're totally into masochism.
  • Paladins are fanatic devotees of a chosen cause. This single-minded focus gives them power, drive, and special abilities. They get auras, like in Diablo II!
  • Priests serve one of the many gods and vary widely based on the god they worship. Priests of Magran carry around guns and were responsible for crafting the "Godhammer," basically a really huge bomb that blew up St. Waidwen. What was that about? We don't know yet! That's one of the mysteries to discover in this game.
  • Rangers have high DPS and are great ranged fighters. They also have adorable animal companions. So I guess that's your other chance to fuck a bear.
  • Rouges are makeups used to redden the cheeks so as to appear more youthful or as if you've been caught in a mild blizzard.
  • Rogues are rogueish characters who can sneak away and reappear at a crucial moment to deal some serious damage to a single target. They're not all thieves and if you thought that you're racist in the bad way (not in the "Godlike are the best race" way, AKA the good way).
  • Wizards are pretty dope. Magic is really cool! Wizards can cast a certain number of spells before they have to rest. Some spells a wizard can memorize, but beyond that the wizard needs a grimoire to cast a spell. Grimoires hold a limited number of spells and switching during combat is a little cumbersome.

icnK5BSH1YCUj.jpg

ifz2fkJuXH1rp.png
It's you! The funding is coming from you! We Kickstarted this thing to the tune of almost four million dollars, making it the highest funded Kickstarter game ever for about 10 minutes until someone Kickstarted the next Torment game. Lame.

i5QSOJHsZ0uzA.png
That's super convenient, I've got a list of stuff here:
i6X2CXlBWG6bo.png
ilaMnPviFNF38.jpg

iHED0pGCOwadY.png
iinwcSOKthIKD.jpg
A rendition of the proposed "Squidtree" race by @BrocksMullet

And remember...
ibziQHEpx1mao2.gif
No sleep for the watcher...

and @surrealitycheck is daddy.

0vhxL.gif

ivB2rYpAaYdW3.gifibb3VYAsC5V84e.gif

If you see @TychoCelchuuu be alarmed. He will speak of theft, but that is a lie. I changed words brah. WORDS.

Sterica on

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In all honesty though. You all should be worshipping the ground TychoCelchuuu walks on.

OP is his work.

C2B on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

Yes please, so many yeses and pleases.

Also no mention of Obsidian should go without being accompanied by mentioning the best throat punching simulator ever made, Alpha Protocol.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    A lot of bear fucking opportunities in this game it would seem.

Loving the CRPG renaissance.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    C2B wrote: »
    [*]And finally who gives a shit about humans? I sure as fuck don't. A human is an inferior elf, basically by definition. Just measure the ears.

Someone needs to watch Farscape...

Least you got Wizard fairly accurate. And rouge. That so better be in the game now.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Godlike really do seem to be the coolest race.

Why be a lesser race when you can be revered as some sort of demi god or anti-christ by the populace? That and they look really wild.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Some reason I feel the thread title needs to work in "Dictated but not read- TychoChelchuu". :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    In all honesty though. You all should be worshipping the ground TychoChelchuu walks on.

OP is his work.
    I once approached TychoChelchuu via a private message, asking to study OP-making at his feet. He refused to take me as an apprentice, saying that OPs do not matter because no one reads them anyway.

I know the truth. He just doesn't wants competition.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

Also no mention of Obsidian should go without being accompanied by mentioning the best throat punching simulator ever made, Alpha Protocol.

If PoE doesn't have an antagonist that I can only fight to the death if I keep being smug and annoying at him I will be very disappointed.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I won't say that I kickstarted this. But I will say that I didn't not kickstart it.
    Ok, I kickstarted it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

If PoE doesn't have an antagonist that I can only fight to the death if I keep being smug and annoying at him I will be very disappointed.

It's always fun in games if you can be an insufferable smug wanker, and people get annoyed and frustrated with you. Basically why Sarcastic Hawke was the best.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

It's always fun in games if you can be an insufferable smug wanker, and people get annoyed and frustrated with you. Basically why Sarcastic Hawke was the best.

Have they even hinted at what kind of a story PoE will have?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

Not so much, which is why I'm a bit concerned it's a bit more on the IWD side of the spectrum than the pitch implied

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

Not so much, which is why I'm a bit concerned it's a bit more on the IWD side of the spectrum than the pitch implied
    All I know of Icewind Dale was that it focused more heavily on the tactical combat side of things, so I'm not sure what that means. Are you suggesting that the game is going to be light on story? Because I doubt Obsidian's first big independent RPG is going to be lacking in the story department, especially considering that's the one thing they do best.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's not even how you spell my name.

• Options
    Sooo..Baldurs Gate 2k14?

They don't want to do it aside from lore as to not spoil anything.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    It involves your character surviving some kind of big disaster and maybe a giant rock or crystal formation that kind of looks like that it's giving you the finger.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    C2B on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I find this oddly reassuring. I guess maybe because romances have become something of a distraction in many other rpgs. There'll still be brothels though yes?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Asexual protagonist? Thats a shame.

I was hoping to become the Geralt of Pillars of Eternity.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Good News!

I'm willing to bet money one of the first five mods made will be enabling sexytimes.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Good News!

I'm willing to bet money one of the first five mods made will be enabling sexytimes.
    Complete with cat ears and all the awkward anime hair colors anyone could ever want.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Good News!

Complete with cat ears and all the awkward anime hair colors anyone could ever want.

I fucking hate you for that image.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This will be closely followed by a mod to shave the cat people, lest the protagonist suffer from the sniffles.

And just think, you can get all this and more on Eternity Nexus!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    And just think, you can get all this and more on Eternity Nexus!
    File of the month: Schlongs of Eternity

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    yeah, Isometric nudity never looked so good!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So long as nobody makes a "Turn Pallegina white" mod, I'll be... well... maybe not happy, but at least less disappointed in the internet.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Ugh, you know it'll happen.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Furries. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Well, it's a druid.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    At this point I have to ask, why even have any other race? Godlike are clearly the best.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Depends on the drawbacks. It seems death godlikes can't wear regular helmets. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I just want my computer to run the game with NO PROBLEMS. I know I might sound like a broken record, but when there's a game that's geared towards lower-end machines coming out, it always makes me wonder if this crappy computer will still be enough for it. It's the same reason I haven't gotten Broken Age yet.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Stay calm. Care when they start doing the alpha/beta tests among the backers.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    So somebody said you can sign up for future DLC now, but I cant find any info on that anywhere.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You can add the expansion pack to your order for $20

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    At this point I have to ask, why even have any other race? Godlike are clearly the best.

If you want a the dumbest looking bone helm or a garden on your head, they are. The fire guys are slightly better, but good old fashioned hair is good enough for me, thanks.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If you want a the dumbest looking bone helm or a garden on your head, they are...

So it's unanimous then

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKdv2JyYD4

So the god of death in Eternity is Guillermo del Toro?