As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »
    I already confirmed a kickstarter pledge on my Obsidian page, $20 for the full game. Can I add the $20 expansion without having to add a new pledge for the full game? Can't really find it in the obsidian portal

They said they will add it.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I do hope that casters have a reliable way to do damage beyond their nuking spells. Obviously fighter types and such should have a higher damage than caster backup attacks, but as long as the casters aren't useless once their spells are exhausted, I'll be happy.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Read the bit about wands and shapeshifts

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I do hope that casters have a reliable way to do damage beyond their nuking spells. Obviously fighter types and such should have a higher damage than caster backup attacks, but as long as the casters aren't useless once their spells are exhausted, I'll be happy.

Well, Wizards get a bit of splash damage with wands and Druids get a tiny modifier to their melee attacks.

So I expect they won't be completely useless once they've run out spells. Also, that stag form could possibly do some real damage with those antlers.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    RPS Interview

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/19/project-eternity-release-date/

Off-Topic (South Park related)
    Urquhart: I’m not saying that’s the whole bar. But the first thing to say is, when we talk about this whole thing about how, oh, it’s buggy… 13 hours after it was on Steam, I had people emailing and saying, your game is awesome! So obviously it worked and it worked well. On the console side of things, I can also tell you… It’s hard for me. I can’t give you any exact things, because it’s all one person saying it’s buggy and another person saying it’s not.

All I know, which I even told Fred earlier, is that we passed PS3 with zero points. When we submitted to Sony in America, we got zero points. Which is, you can have 20 points on their scale and get approved. We passed with zero. So on a scale of how buggy [it was or wasn't], to me it was a pretty solid game.

RPS: And yet, that was a consistent complaint in reviews from both critics and fans.

Annnnd my love/hate relationship with rps continues. Because that comment is at the very least unnecessary (Considering its just a repeat of the previous question to be a dick). There were tons of fans and critics which had a solid experience.

C2B on
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I'm quite aware of that. It's just that traditionally any sort of wands and such do pitiful damage that's hardly worth it.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I'm quite aware of that. It's just that traditionally any sort of wands and such do pitiful damage that's hardly worth it.

When I think of wands, I think D&D, rather than say, WoW. And wands in D&D were always pretty sweet.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    RPS: After all this time and so many missteps, do you feel like you owe fans any sort of apology? Do you feel responsible, or perhaps like you’ve damaged your players’ trust?

Are you fucking kidding me? Is this like the stupidest asshole ever to slap his face into a keyboard?

Didn't he make his petty little point the other two times in the interview?

He devoted 15% of his interview questions to bug talk and didn't even do it well. What a waste of everyone's time.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I find it depressing that Sony has a scale that allows 20 points on it. Unless that's counting random visual glitches and the like that scale should allow 0.

• Options
    Docken wrote: »
    RPS: After all this time and so many missteps, do you feel like you owe fans any sort of apology? Do you feel responsible, or perhaps like you’ve damaged your players’ trust?

Are you fucking kidding me? Is this like the stupidest asshole ever to slap his face into a keyboard?

Didn't he make his petty little point the other two times in the interview?

He devoted 15% of his interview questions to bug talk and didn't even do it well. What a waste of everyone's time.

Man, fuck everything about this inane "Lol Obsidian Bugs" bullshit. Why do people keep harping on that even though there haven't been in any way an exceptional amount of them? It's really fucking annoying to read interviews and news and such, when I go looking for information on their games and projects, and just get treated to another round of "bugsamirite" with little to no justification/evidence to back up the statements.

It's getting really, really fucking old.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sometimes the narrative just takes over. "Obsidian games are exceptionally buggy" has reached the status of conventional wisdom at this point.

And, like so many other conventional wisdoms, it is wrong.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The problem is that Obsidian games were exceptionally buggy. Stick of Truth was fine in that regard (it pretty much sucked in the "Obsidian game", "gameplay" and "interface" categories, but that's beside the point). Wasn't DS3 OK, too?

Two positive data points, I'd say that indicates a trend.

• Options
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The problem is that Obsidian games were exceptionally buggy. Stick of Truth was fine in that regard (it pretty much sucked in the "Obsidian game", "gameplay" and "interface" categories, but that's beside the point). Wasn't DS3 OK, too?

I think DS3 gets ignored a lot because almost no one played it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I got a bit into DS3, but it was painfully bland linear and challengeless.
    "Obsidian games are buggy" is more hype than reality though, and where bugs do exist there are always mitigated circumstances, like the crazy short KOTOR2 devcycle and the inherent buggyness of gamebryo games.
    Alpha Protocol didn't seem to bad when I got around playing it, except for the famous 'sometimes on autosave load enemies don't spawn,' I had that happen.
    None of the 3 NWN2 games were particularly buggy from my experience (though crappily optimised, the basegame did not ran well for how it looked)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It's fair to discuss persistent issues with bugs, and that does seem to come up with Obsidian more often than normal; keywords being 'seems to' of course, Obsidian's had the short end of the development cycle stick quite a few times. That said, talking about owing the players an apology, or damaging the players' trust, is being melodramatic and needlessly confrontational. I was pissed at the Fallout New Vegas saving bug that happened at launch, but that was soon fixed; not exactly 38 Studios.

You know what would've breached my trust? Making Fallout a cover-based shooter with regenerating health and a two-weapon limit.

I'm not opposed to pointed questions, nor do I want people to gloss over such things, but a little perspective wouldn't hurt.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    It's fair to discuss persistent issues with bugs, and that does seem to come up with Obsidian more often than normal; keywords being 'seems to' of course, Obsidian's had the short end of the development cycle stick quite a few times. That said, talking about owing the players an apology, or damaging the players' trust, is being melodramatic and needlessly confrontational. I was pissed at the Fallout New Vegas saving bug that happened at launch, but that was soon fixed; not exactly 38 Studios.

You know what would've breached my trust? Making Fallout a cover-based shooter with regenerating health and a two-weapon limit.

I'm not opposed to pointed questions, nor do I want people to gloss over such things, but a little perspective wouldn't hurt.

Bethesda did that long before Obsidian got their hands on it...

(I regret nothing.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

Considering that the reputation for bugginess was pretty much established after two data points, I'd agree with this.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

Bethesda did that long before Obsidian got their hands on it...

(I regret nothing.)

Huh?

• Options
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I dunno about an estimate for more gameplay footage, but if you're dying I think you should see a doctor rather than hoping to see more of this game before you pass away.

This is precisely the difference between you and C2B.
    C2B wrote: »

It this was E3 I'd say that it looks like the typical location that GiantBomb rents out then immediately regrets.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Chris, I don't know much about SanFran but I heard there are safer places to buy weed there. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
  • Options
    Honestly, Paradox and Obsidian getting together is nothing but fantastic news in my book. Paradox is a stand-up, awesome PC-centric publisher from everything I've ever heard, and Obsidian is, well, Obsidian.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Obsidian Paradox, sounds like an ancient mystery of forgotten lore shrouded by myth and legends, believed to grant anyone who can solve it the oracular power to pierce the illusions of time and space.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The union of Paradox Interactive and Obsidian has boosted the profile of both companies in my eyes - what a great match for a classic RPG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Obsidian Paradox, sounds like a novel you read on the beach.

Fixed that for you. :D

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Armored Warfare is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online tactical military video game that puts you in control of modern tanks, armored vehicles and more.

That is almost the exact opposite of what I thought Obsidian might go for, just beaten out by a dating sim.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ... Not what I expected. But sure, why not?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    @C2B‌ any news of who's on that project?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A type of game that Obsidian hasn't had any experience making with a newly formed mobile apps developer based in Russia? Very strange move.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    whatever pays the billz

• Options
    What?

What's happening?

What?

• Options
    Had to double check the date... Not even close to April 1.

• Options
    Is the Crimea region going to feature as a playable map?

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    @C2B‌ any news of who's on that project?

Considering it's the Cryengine project it is Rich Taylor's I assume. The one they took post-March 12 layoffs.

my is owned by mail.ru by the way. Skyforge makes a lot more sense now.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wait, how many projects were they working on again?

steam_sig.png