As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make all corporeal undead are like that. It would be nice to have some corporeal undead who don't need to survive by killing people or degenerate into feral beasts.

I really liked the Dead Nations in Planescape: Torment, I would have liked to see something like that in Eternity.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What if you bound your soul to a golem?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Based on what they've said about souls in the past and this update on the undead, the soul is basically an animating force for living creatures, there's still needs to be a brain of some kind for there to be intelligence.

So I'm guessing what happens when you bind a soul to a golem depends on the "brain" the golem has.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    How do the non-corporeal undead work, by the way? Any word on that?

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Well we have these zombies, there were also the Wichts which are the bodies of souless children, then there are the Animat which are essentially soul bound golems, and on top of that there are Cean Gwla which are ghosts of drowned women or something I think.

So there is some variety of undead.

Tairu on
  • Options
    This update does say:
    Corporeal undead in this world all suffer from the same malady, and are merely in different stages of decomposition.

So that would suggest Wichts aren't undead and Cean Gwla are incorporeal undead.

Presumably, there won't be any undead like traditional vampires, liches, and the like.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Vampires could just not be undead.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    uh hello the first stage of undead are called fampyrs

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    you mean fangpyrs

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fempyrs

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Wabbit season!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Famicom pyres.

Regardless, fampyres are more like traditional fantasy ghouls than vampires.

I suppose non-undead vampires are possible. But they can only be created by the Guardian of the Pillar of Death using the Heart of Darkness from the last of the ancient vampires who erected the Pillars of Eternity to lock away their ancient enemies, which resulted in their entire race being cursed with immortality.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    In transition of becoming more than just a contract developer Obsidian seems to have opened a new department for marketing and pr.

Shane Defreest is its director who you might know related to White Wolf/World of Darkness or in Obsidian's case as a community manager back on the NWN 2 forums.

Also Machinima.

C2B on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Chance of rulebooks for a PoE campaign setting?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    So I hope Obsidian goes the way of decision and consequence rather than a Bioware style morality slider.

Late reply, but Obsidian has already proved they are very capable of decision and consequence and choices actually mattering, for multiple facets of morality.

You see, they made this rpg called Alpha Protocol, where your choices effected everything and there were no clear right/wrong choices, just different choices on multiple paths through the game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    look human, have human intelligence, immortal, have to feed on other humans? oh yeah, not getting a vampire vibe at all.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    So I hope Obsidian goes the way of decision and consequence rather than a Bioware style morality slider.

Late reply, but Obsidian has already proved they are very capable of decision and consequence and choices actually mattering, for multiple facets of morality.

You see, they made this rpg called Alpha Protocol, where your choices effected everything and there were no clear right/wrong choices, just different choices on multiple paths through the game.

Except Heck. Heck is always the correct choice.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Lard on guns.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    look human, have human intelligence, immortal, have to feed on other humans? oh yeah, not getting a vampire vibe at all.

Sounds more like hipsters to me. Hey-oh!

*ahem* But really, Vampires are just another form of undead, so it doesn't truly matter when it comes down to it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Except Heck. Heck is always the correct choice.

And even then, it's still worth it to piss him off just once just to see what happens.

• Options
    Mark Bremerkamp, PE's Lead Animator, left the company after 9 years of working there (before that he worked at Troika on Bloodlines) to move to Michigan as he wanted to be closer to his family.

• Options
    His role is succeded by Stick of Truth's Lead Animator Shon Stewart.

• Options

Except they decay over time, lose their intelligence, and eventually turn to dust.

Sounds more like hipsters to me. Hey-oh!

*ahem* But really, Vampires are just another form of undead, so it doesn't truly matter when it comes down to it.

Well, vampire lore is much more widely known and it affords opportunities to develop them further or branch out in new directions rather than having to start from scratch.

For example, some stories have developed the lore behind how and what they feed. There's the whole idea of vampires and humans forming sort of a symbiotic relationship where both parties benefit, kind of like the few non-asshole vampires in True Blood. There's the idea that vampires don't just feed on blood but also on the essence and memories/experience/knowledge of their victims so they actually guide the lives of their victims to have certain experiences to give them specific "flavors" almost like how you would marinate food.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Ew, really? Stick of Truth has the worst fucking animation. Have you seen them walking? Their legs don't even move.

• Options
    wgrenwgren Registered User regular
    I got to see my custom character portrait, and it is awesome. I chose to be a Aumaua, and I think it is an Island Aumaua they went with (I think I read somewhere that they are the more remote/primal of the two?). Sharp teeth, rather sharklike and intimidating fella, but still recognizably me. I am extremely happy with it. I've already saved up for the next Kickstarter. They said on RPS more news about it in March, right? Heard any more since, C2B?

• Options
    wgren wrote: »
    I got to see my custom character portrait, and it is awesome. I chose to be a Aumaua, and I think it is an Island Aumaua they went with (I think I read somewhere that they are the more remote/primal of the two?). Sharp teeth, rather sharklike and intimidating fella, but still recognizably me. I am extremely happy with it. I've already saved up for the next Kickstarter. They said on RPS more news about it in March, right? Heard any more since, C2B?
    Yep. expect some news around GDC.

• Options
    Some clarification on Shane's job
    Shane DeFreest Marking, PR, Community Development, Social Media, Events etc. Lots of hats. Its a very similar role to what I was doing at CCP for World of Darkness.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Sooo, any chance that Shane joining Obs has anything to do with the next Kickstarter/Obsidian game? =)
    Cause if it is a WoD/horror RPG, I'm selling a kidney.

wgren on
  • Options
    For some reason Adam works today and is bored enough to answer questions

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65617-adam-at-work/

• Options
    Sooo, any chance that Shane joining Obs has anything to do with the next Kickstarter/Obsidian game? =)

A new RPG in a WoD-ish setting would be awesome. Just as long as you're not forced to play just a vampire, but maybe a werewolf, or some other thing that goes bump in the night.

• Options
    Much as I would love to see that freedom of choice, I think it would be prohibitively expensive to implement.

At least in the original source material, the different supernatural factions are so different in mythology, culture, mechanics, playstyle. If you have a "generic" starting setting and origin story for your character, I'm afraid much of the flavor of the setting and the different factions would be lost. Apart from the "monster within/ouch my humanity" struggle, what does a pack-oriented werewolf policing the natural world against an alien and hungry spirit world have in common with a paranoid immortal undead plotting against other undead? Apart from some "lets prevent the end of the world" meta-plot left to keep things moving, presumably.

• Options
    Doesn't mean it has to be about vampires. Plenty of other monstrosities to explore.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Rhan9 wrote: »

A new RPG in a WoD-ish setting would be awesome. Just as long as you're not forced to play just a vampire, but maybe a werewolf, or some other thing that goes bump in the night.

Don't get your hopes up. Shane hasn't worked directly for CCP in over two years and I doubt they would allow it.

CCP already shut such a project down when they bought White Wolf as well.

C2B on
  • Options
    Hence the "-ish". As far as I know, they do not own the concepts of various folk monsters, or darker fiction in general.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    They could maybe use Monte Cook's World of Darkness. Not sure where the rights are on that.

• Options
    Brandon just posted that there is not going to be an update this week.

• Options
    If Obsidian ever makes a game where the player character is some kind of supernatural creature, it would be interesting if they dealt more with the psychology, memory, and perception. Instead of doing something basic like adding a hunger bar that goes down when you don't feed, it would be interesting if they actually changed how things/people looked and sounded. Depending on your current state or your choices, perception of characters could change. Like if you don't feed for a long time, color and light will slowly leech out of the world and characters would sound more dull and emotionless. Or if you choose to treat humans like cattle, they'll start blending in more into the background and become less significant to you, at least until you start getting hungry.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I'm imagining an Obsidian WoD game and I like the prospects. Especially if they did a series, each one featuring a different setting building on the story of others.

Or you know CCP could actually use that franchise to make games. Its an idea.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    I'm imagining an Obsidian WoD game and I like the prospects. Especially if they did a series, each one featuring a different setting building on the story of others.

Or you know CCP could actually use that franchise to make games. Its an idea.
    The excuse is CCP is making a WoD MMO. The reality is they're sitting on the property while they desperately try to upgrade EVE before Star Citizen.

At some point they will actually release a game. It will be another shitty MMO nobody cares about, and then they will sell WoD off. Maybe a studio with chops like Obsidian will be able to afford it, maybe not.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was amazing though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.