As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Langly wrote: »
    So wait is this doctor now going to be the last doctor? Is this all of his regeneration?

In case you actually don't know:
    It's possible for Time Lords to get extra sets of regenerations, the bigwigs from Gallifrey actually using it once as a bribe towards the Master during the events of The Five Doctors. During the ending of the last special, someone from Gallifrey sends the Doctor a fresh batch through a crack in time after Clara uses a smaller one to let them know the Doctor was about to die for good. The Doctor dying after all would be a bad thing for the planet due to the climax of the 50th Anniversary special.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Are you saying shenanigans happened or you think they will happen

correct

Happens. Happened. Will happen.
    Owenashi wrote: »
    So wait is this doctor now going to be the last doctor? Is this all of his regeneration?

It's possible for Time Lords to get extra sets of regenerations, the bigwigs from Gallifrey actually using it once as a bribe towards the Master during the events of The Five Doctors. During the ending of the last special, someone from Gallifrey sends the Doctor a fresh batch through a crack in time after Clara uses a smaller one to let them know the Doctor was about to die for good. The Doctor dying after all would be a bad thing for the planet due to the climax of the 50th Anniversary special.
    Not to mention bad for Gallifrey itself. As the last remaining Time Lord in the universe proper, he's their best chance at coming back.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Are you saying shenanigans happened or you think they will happen

correct

Happens. Happened. Will happen.
    Owenashi wrote: »

Not to mention bad for Gallifrey itself. As the last remaining Time Lord in the universe proper, he's their best chance at coming back.
    To be fair, it may well be that they only gave him one fresh regeneration, which of course would mean they have to come up with a whole new set of shenanigans in five years or so.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    No, he specifically said new cycle....its not just one.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Ok these feather cloth cyber dudes crawling on all fours is a littttle too goofy

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running
    PjvdmRX.gif

• Options
    Ok waters of mars was doooooope that was a good episode.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    unfortunatley the next special is not great and End of Time is actively bad until the last 15 minutes when it becomes amazing

but everything before that is so bad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The End Of Time is like if you were at a party with Russell T Davies and he'd had just a bit too much to drink and he started telling you his ideas for a Doctor Who special just a bit too loudly.

• Options
    I hate that version of The Master and everything I hate about him is turned up to 11 in The End of Time it really galls me that Tennant's finale spends so much time on him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Almost all of what I liked about The End of Time was in Part Two, from when Rassilon & Co. appeared on Earth until when Wilf hugs the Doctor and Ten is such a sadface jerk that he doesn't hug back.

Never leave Wilf hangi hugging.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    I did like the bit when Ten went, "Look mate no fooling let's just pack all this in and do a grand tour of the universe together," and you can see the Master genuinely wants to but he's already a prisoner of his own insanity.

• Options
    I like pretty much everything from the Doctor grabbing the gun until the end.

but that still leaves like 70+ minutes of crap before he gets to that point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I think the major problem with End of Time was that instead of a regular two-parter, each episode was a full hour. I don't know if that was RTD's or the BBC's idea, but it just feels soooo dragged out. And the lightning, of course. But I know I'm in the minority in actually liking John Simms' Master at all, much less in End of Time.

• Options
    The master just shot a kamehameha at the doctor

Hm

• Options
    I wish they had kept old man master

• Options
    That guy was awesome.

• Options
    Why does the master have a bad hair bleach job anyway

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

he's a super saiyan

• Options

Oh, man, you should read The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter. It goes into all the backstory and original plot planning.
    So, I think the Master should disguise himself. He could dye his hair blond. In a public toilet. He’s scrubbing away at the sink. That puts in mind an Ortonesque, post-watershed scene where the Master is dying his hair like a rent boy, and a smart businessman comes in cruising, and the Master takes him into a cubicle, and murders him. Maybe after sex. That won’t happen, for obvious reasons, but I thought of it anyway. Why do I think of things that will never happen? Oh, and he could grow a beard, then he really is the Master! Yeah, that could work. And somebody could still say, ‘You look like the Prime Minister.’ ‘Yeah, I get that a lot.’ Nice.

Also that god awful Harry Potter potion-eering? Originally going to be a full-on satanic ritual, only they couldn't really do it because of the time slot.
    If I could, they’d cut Lucy, they’d use her blood and pour it on the ring, like she’s part of him, genetically, if only because she had sex with a Time Lord. (Not sure how to phrase that. ‘You have known him’ or something.)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Incidentally, while reading The Writer's Tale did make me iffy in regards to (some of) RTD's writing/drafting ideas, it did make me like him as a person even more. He seems like a pretty funny guy.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    The best thing about the dyed hair is that John Simm was so enthusiastic about it that he apparently went ahead and dyed his hair before filming began, so the resurrection scene where the Master has brown hair? Actually a wig.

• Options
    the thing about old man master is that he would have been such a great foil against the young version of the doctor.

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »

Oh, man, you should read The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter. It goes into all the backstory and original plot planning.
    So, I think the Master should disguise himself. He could dye his hair blond. In a public toilet. He’s scrubbing away at the sink. That puts in mind an Ortonesque, post-watershed scene where the Master is dying his hair like a rent boy, and a smart businessman comes in cruising, and the Master takes him into a cubicle, and murders him. Maybe after sex. That won’t happen, for obvious reasons, but I thought of it anyway. Why do I think of things that will never happen? Oh, and he could grow a beard, then he really is the Master! Yeah, that could work. And somebody could still say, ‘You look like the Prime Minister.’ ‘Yeah, I get that a lot.’ Nice.

Also that god awful Harry Potter potion-eering? Originally going to be a full-on satanic ritual, only they couldn't really do it because of the time slot.
    If I could, they’d cut Lucy, they’d use her blood and pour it on the ring, like she’s part of him, genetically, if only because she had sex with a Time Lord. (Not sure how to phrase that. ‘You have known him’ or something.)

what in the world

• Options
    Have you watched Scream of the Shalka? I feel obligated to recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the pittance of Derek Jacobi Master we got in the TV series. He's not playing the same version of the Master, but he does a wonderful turn as a more classic series-y Master.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

what in the world

The sex becomes part of your blood, Langly.

That's science.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The early parts of torchwood make a lot more sense now. At the time I thought it was trying too hard to be "adult" but perhaps it was just what RTD would have made doctor who if he wasn't held back. Complete with Master having sex with Business men in public toilets then murdering them.

• Options
    Also if you get the DVD version of Shada there's a flash animated version of the story with the Eighth Doctor and Romana II (now President of Gallifrey). It's really good and the closest thing we have to live-action Eight outside of the movie and Night of The Doctor.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I have never been able to get that into the Master as a villain in anything past the Roger Delgado incarnation.

Well aside from the Deadly Assassin I suppose. I have a soft spot for villains styled up like Skeletor.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think what is the most insane about that blurb is that he ends it with "nice."

• Options
    Tom Baker wants to blow up the BBC. I think he probably would have to get in line, though.

• Options
    Ok that finale was not the best but the end was pretty great.

I don't know why the time lords/Timothy dalton just stand there and watch the doctor keep turning and pointing a gun around when rassilon has like a disintegrating glove on.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That was a Webley revolver sir! No disintegration glove can stop that fine piece of British engineering!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    That was a Webley revolver sir! No disintegration glove can stop that fine piece of British engineering!

Especially once you've supercharged it by taking the safety off four times in a row.

• Options
    Ok so did tennant just want to leave or did the bbc ask him to leave? Because I am not so sure I like Matt smith much. Although I've only seen the first episode so far.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Tennant wanted to

• Options
    Because I don't know much about making doctor who but even if it's not the best show in the world it looks like possibly the most fun show to make

• Options
    Man, if you don't like Smith after his first episode, there is something weird about you and/or he will grow on you.

• Options
    He just seems a little too too

He's like tennant but even sillier

• Options
    the doctor always acts wonky in his first episode after a regeneration, it's like tradition.

He sheds the Tennant manerisms for his own pretty quickly

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.